YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Charlie Horses
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> PilatesMessage format

caylahb
Posted 2006-07-25 7:49 PM (#59701)
Subject: Charlie Horses

Hi everyone.

I just started doing pilates regularly. I'm doing the Mari Winsor Pilates. I've been doing them now for almost a month and have just recently been getting really uncomfortable charlie horses in my calf muscles, around my ankles, and the arches of my feet. I have gotten the occasional cramp here and there before. However, since I have been doing pilates they are really intense and it seems whatever way I try to stretch them out it doesnt seem to help. I've also been bike riding for exercise, not sure if that is contributing to them or not. Has anyone else noticed this or does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Caylah
Top of the page Bottom of the page
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-07-25 8:14 PM (#59706 - in reply to #59701)
Subject: RE: Charlie Horses

I'm a big fan of calcium and magnesium taken together as a supplement at night. Acts like a muscle relaxer and a sedative.

How old are you? Older folks tend to get RLS along with muscle cramping in the calves, which can be a bummer to treat.

Best to check with your health care provider before taking any advice, especially from the internet. I mean, what if you're body produces too much calcium naturally and you develop bone spurs? Taking more calcium (like 1,000 - 1,500 mg in a usual supplement) might not be in your best interest.

caylahb
Posted 2006-07-25 9:27 PM (#59712 - in reply to #59701)

I'm only 22.

I'm thinking possibly it could be lack of something because I have altered my diet alot. I've been at this for about a month and have lost 11lbs so far. I'm eating healthier things but maybe a supplement would be what I need.

Thanks for your suggestion.
tourist
Posted 2006-07-25 11:48 PM (#59721 - in reply to #59712)

Expert Yogi

caylah - are you doing pilates with a teacher or with dvd's? A few sessioins with a good teacher may help. Make sure your diet has all the vitamins and minerals - veggies and fruit will help. And drink enough water.
caylahb
Posted 2006-07-26 1:32 AM (#59726 - in reply to #59721)

I'm doing the Winsor Pilates dvds. I always watch my form though and listen to everything she says about correct movements...so I really don't think its something i'm doing wrong. (but not ruling that out completly)

But I will def get some vitamins and see if that helps. It's bound to help out even if it doesn't help with the charlie horses.
tourist
Posted 2006-07-26 11:55 AM (#59796 - in reply to #59726)

Expert Yogi

This is not personal but EVERYONE who works alone with videos is making mistakes. Pilates is extremely exact and was meant to be done one on one for a long time before the student worked alone. Seriously. I have no connection to any teachers and I'm not trying to make money for anyone. But it is very, very easy to make mistakes with pilates and with yoga.
YogaChick
Posted 2006-07-27 5:06 PM (#60018 - in reply to #59726)

One common mistake that people make in Pilates is over-pointing the foot. Yes, there is an emphasis on lengthening and extending the leg, but too much causes foot and calf cramps. (Even after you're done if you've created a lot of tension in the muscle.)

Try pointing through the ball of your foot rather than pointing your toes. (Let your toes stay "soft.") Also, try a good long downward facing dog stretch at the end of your Pilates practice.

johnb838
Posted 2006-08-02 4:49 PM (#60823 - in reply to #59712)

I do bikram yoga and I get this too. Also, my friend who I started out doing this with about six months ago suddenly got them yesterday. I had a talk with an instructor who suggested calcium and citric acid. Accordingly I've been drinking that pure premium orange juice with added calcium from Tropicana. Just 6-8 ounces a day. I think it's helping. Do you sweat a lot in Pilates? I've never done it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)