YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

certification
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

mryanni2000
Posted 2006-07-30 4:36 AM (#60325)
Subject: certification

Hello,
I have been wanting. in the future to get certified to teach yoga someday. However, being stationed in Germany there are limited classes to go to. I go to about 1 a week and do video's at home. However, I was wondering what steps I can take on my own to lead myself able to become a teacher. I have a few more years before I am back in the states. That will probably be my next opportunity. Are there key things that I can be working on now?
Thanks for any input.

-mryanni2000
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-07-30 6:45 AM (#60330 - in reply to #60325)
Subject: RE: certification

mostly, the thing you need to do is to develop your own practice. essentially, keep practicing yoga--and whenever possible "taste" the different 'styles' of yoga available.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-07-30 9:28 AM (#60352 - in reply to #60325)

http://ashtangayoga.info/ashtanga-yoga/index.html

this fella is in Germany

also looking for teachers that carry the seal of approval from Iyegar or Jois and seeking them out for a workshop or a class would be good.

Reading lots of books and trying to do what you read about could help

These appear to be the most obvious living masters on the planet at the moment and grounding your learning in a way that it connects it to these fellas would certainly improve your chances of being taken seriously by discriminating American consumers or Yoga teachers.

http://www.ashtanga.com/

http://www.bksiyengar.com/

I've had a yoga practice for many years, but don't consider myself 'teacher material' so when I sought out a source for greater knowledge in this area, these were the standards that I measured the available sources in my market.

Also, Zoebird said that the place I was thinking about going to was good---so making a good name for yourself amongst the folks who practice should carry the day.

David Swenson is one of the great American Travelling Masters who took years to make a good name for himself.

Pune and Mysore, India should probably be on your list of places to visit.

Posted 2006-07-30 2:05 PM (#60405 - in reply to #60325)

How long have you been practicing and what is your background please? Where in Germany are you?

Obviously it is not everyone's Dharma to be a yoga teacher. Unless of course we are taking the esoteric approach that everyone is a teacher. And while THAT is true, at a certain level, it's not what we are talking about here.

What you do to prepare depends on how deeply you value yoga and how wide you perceive its berth.
For example, you could begin studying anatomy. Now some teachers pay very little attention to anatomy, and sanskrit for that matter. They simply don't find enough value in it to learn it. Those are two things you could pursue right now without really getting out of your house. This is independent study.

I find that quality teacher trainings, and several or many of them, are what leads to a qualified yoga teacher. Unless of course you are woking with one master consistently over the span of several years. This is a more valuable education for yoga but in today's society this isn't always "possible".

I personally do not find traveling abroad to be all that enlightening. If you can't find divinity in New Jersey there's a strong chance you aren't really looking. And an expensive trip to a third world country to catch malaria isn't really going to bring the divine to your threshold. For those who want to travel, fine. But it's no more enlightened than dealing with traffic on your local interstate.

Developing a home practice is also a very good foundational step. IN fact it's what we are really supposed to do, rather than go to classes liek it's chiropractic. But again we are dealing with this society, this reality, and we must, to degrees, do some adapting. AS asana goes I would focus on learning Surya namaskar (there are 18 I am told). I prefer the classical version. Iyengar would say the three critical asanas are Sirsasana, Sarvangasana, and Savasana. These should be taught to you by an experienced yoga teacher until such a time as you can do them at home safely.

Hope this helps you.

mryanni2000 - 2006-07-29 1:36 AM

Hello,
I have been wanting. in the future to get certified to teach yoga someday. However, being stationed in Germany there are limited classes to go to. I go to about 1 a week and do video's at home. However, I was wondering what steps I can take on my own to lead myself able to become a teacher. I have a few more years before I am back in the states. That will probably be my next opportunity. Are there key things that I can be working on now?
Thanks for any input.

-mryanni2000
mryanni2000
Posted 2006-07-31 10:05 AM (#60487 - in reply to #60405)

I am 30 and have been practicing on and off since I was 22. Lately, I have decided to get more serious and study more than I have in the past. I have taken mainly power yoga classes, but would like to learn more. You make some very good points and one thing I do focus on in my personal life is nutrition and overall health. Being in the military, the physical training, has taken a toll on my body so.... yoga has been great in that aspect. I live in Mannheim Germany and whenever I get on line and search for workshops, they are in Berlin, Koln, or other places that is quite a drive. I bought a DVD, believe she is called Shiva Rae (i might of spelled her name wrong)... but I thought it was excellent. She has like 4 different classes to choose from and you can pick and choose what you like and make your own routine.
Thank you for the input. There are very people around here that are interested in this stuff, so it nice to hear from other people!
mryanni2000
Posted 2006-08-01 2:19 AM (#60618 - in reply to #60352)

Thanks for the web info. I found a workshop that is near my area and thankfully it will be taught in English... one of things I worried about living in Germany!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)