YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Starting a class
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

aaron
Posted 2006-08-04 9:45 AM (#60996)
Subject: Starting a class

Hello all teachers! I am planning to take a big leap and start up my own class at nearby church. I am currently teaching at two studios and want to quit one of them. I want to quit the one for a lot of reasons but one of the reasons is because i feel a desire to start up my "own thing". I want to be able to call the shots for one thing. I am interested in doing this and feel it's the right direction for me but my fears start speaking to me a lot. I worry that there are just too many yoga studios and teachers in this area and what makes me think I could do something like this. Does anyone have any tips on how to start a class (I've launched a website, have biz cards & postcards) as far as chosing a locations and keeping everything organized? Also, any words of encouragement would be very helpful. Many thanks. Namaste.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-05 2:41 AM (#61048 - in reply to #60996)
Subject: RE: Starting a class

Aaron,

you've studied with a very sound Iyengar teacher. You will be fine on your own. I competely understand you wanting to leave the studio employ. Here's the thing...

Make sure this is what's right for you on the deeper universal level. Not in your mind from rational thought or in the pelvis from animal instinct. It must be in your heart. It must be identified by you from whithin as part of your purpose here.

Then, and only then, will you be able to go free and do this thing without fear or reservation. You will have faith not just words about faith. Many talk about faith but stop growing. This isn't faith. It's hiding in a comfort zone.

So I encourage you to spring forth once you've connected with your heart chakra and determined your purpose.

[and how odd that Boundless has a picture of a man in gomukhasana (in virasan) without a strap. No action in that pose at all.]

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-05 2:44 AM

Posted 2006-08-05 6:21 AM (#61052 - in reply to #60996)

speaking to advertising, the first place to start is with those students whom you already have that are 'yours.' talk to them privately about the class that you will be teaching and invite them to come.

next, put an advertisement in the church bulletin where you will be teaching. everyone who attends church will see this bulletin. often, they'll 'advertise' the class for free--which is great for reaching a wide-audience at no cost.

these two things should get you enough people to start a single class--no problem. If you want a wider audience after that, putting your postcards in every mailbox or on every doorstep around the church where you are teaching is a good idea.

good luck to you!
tourist
Posted 2006-08-05 11:18 AM (#61086 - in reply to #61048)

Expert Yogi

purnayoga - 2006-08-04 11:41 PM
[and how odd that Boundless has a picture of a man in gomukhasana (in virasan) without a strap. No action in that pose at all.]

Well, it Is called "Boundless" so he is doing the pose "unbound."

Aaron, if you start with just one class and build from there, heeding all the other advice here, you should be fine. A word here about what we have done locally - our classes were held in all sorts of community spaces through our local rec centre until our students decided they needed a dedicated studio. They approached the teachers and we formed a non-profit society that runs our centre now. Of course, my teacher had built a base of students for 20 or so years and they were all willing and ready to make the change. But it is an idea that really works for us. We are still in a community space, but in a single place with a room almost completely dedicated to ur use, which has made our teaching lives a LOT nicer
aaron
Posted 2006-08-06 1:03 AM (#61132 - in reply to #60996)

Thank you all for the wise words. After reading these posts I feel all the more confident that this is the right step for me. One of the studios where I teach doesn't lend well for teaching in the Iyengar method, which is what I want most of all. I hope that if I can attract my own students I can concentrate on teaching in this method.

My postcards and business cards should arrive next week and i hope to have more information on available spaces around town. Then I can really start to plan. I'll keep you updated!

Thanks again.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-07 11:22 AM (#61188 - in reply to #60996)

Aaron, just to let you know, the USmail regards a person's mailbox as federal property, and frown on regular people using them to deliver mail. Friends of my parents went around and did this to deliver wedding announcements, and the mailman caught up with some people who had been delivered to and charged the recipients for the delivery. I'm not sure if all mailmen are such hardliners, I'm just letting you know something that happened here.

Posted 2006-08-07 11:30 AM (#61190 - in reply to #60996)

our mailboxes are locked up--you know the kind at apartments? that's what our neighborhood has. so i just put things on the doorstep.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)