YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and the Military
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

ariesian34
Posted 2006-08-10 11:33 AM (#61369)
Subject: Yoga and the Military

Did you know that the military in India are using yoga to reduce stress in soldiers.

I read it on a blog.

What do you think about it?

Strange as yoga is non violent.

Gem Yoga
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-10 11:57 AM (#61371 - in reply to #61369)
Subject: RE: Yoga and the Military

ariesian34 - 2006-08-10 11:33 AM

Did you know that the military in India are using yoga to reduce stress in soldiers.

I read it on a blog.

Gem Yoga

not strange at all

What do you think about Arjuna and his duty in the Gita?

Think about the name of some of the postures, Warrior?

Practicing non-attachment to the result does not mean not doing ones' duty.

Some are congenatally called to military service, this does not mean those are excluded from the benefits and life of yoga.

GreenJello
Posted 2006-08-10 12:23 PM (#61375 - in reply to #61369)

I'd also point out that the Gita takes place on a battlefield. Yoga and Warriors go hand in hand.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-08-10 12:36 PM (#61376 - in reply to #61369)

And meditation in one of the huge Indian prison: "Doing Time, Doing Vipassana" - the documentary illustrating how meditation helps both the prisoners and the prison guards.

Posted 2006-08-10 3:34 PM (#61393 - in reply to #61376)

Yoga trend catching on with soldiers
By MELISSA NELSON, Associated Press WriterSun Jul 16, 10:52 PM ET

When Marine Lt. Alan Zarracina finally did the splits after months of struggling with the difficult pose in yoga class, the limber women around him applauded.
Zarracina, a 24-year-old Naval Academy graduate and flight student, admits he would have a hard time explaining the scene to other Marines.
Each class ends with a chant for peace. Then, instructor Nancy La Nasa hands students incense sticks as a gift for their 90 minutes of back bends, shoulder stands and other challenging positions.
Zarracina has tried to drag some of his military friends to class, but they make fun of him. "It's not necessarily considered masculine," he said.
Still, the popular classes, based on ancient Hindu practices of meditation through controlled breathing, balancing and stretching, are catching on in military circles as a way to improve flexibility, balance and concentration. A former Navy SEAL told Zarracina about the class.
The August edition of Fit Yoga, the nation's second-largest yoga magazine with a circulation of 100,000, features a photo of two Naval aviators doing yoga poses in full combat gear aboard an aircraft carrier.
"At first it seemed a little shocking — soldiers practicing such a peaceful art," writes editor Rita Trieger.
Upon closer inspection, she said, she noticed "a sense of inner calm" on the aviators' faces.
"War is hell, and if yoga can help them find a little solace, that's good," said Trieger, a longtime New York yoga instructor.
Retired Adm. Tom Steffens, who spent 34 years as a Navy SEAL and served as the director of the elite corps' training, regularly practices yoga at his home in Norfolk, Va.
"Once in a while I'll sit in class, and everyone is a 20-something young lady with a 10-inch waist and here I am this old guy," he joked.
Steffens, who said the stretching helped him eliminate the stiffness of a biceps injury after surgery, said the benefits of regular practice can be enormous.
"The yoga cured all kinds of back pains," he said. "Being a SEAL, you beat up your body."
Yoga breathing exercises can help SEALs with their diving, and learning to control the body by remaining in unusual positions can help members stay in confined spaces for long periods, he said.
"The ability to stay focused on something, whether on breathing or on the yoga practice, and not be drawn off course, that has a lot of connection to the military," he said. "In our SEAL basic training, there are many things that are yoga-like in nature."
Zarracina, the Marine, said yoga has helped him improve his posture and become more comfortable while flying.
"Sitting in an airplane for two hours with a harness pulling on you, you will feel a hot spot around your back," he said.
But he said mastering difficult stretches like the splits wasn't easy despite being in top physical condition.
"For the first two weeks, I didn't like (yoga) because it was painful," he said. At Marine training in Quantico, Va., "we did hikes and field training. Yoga taps into those core muscles that people don't really use."
At the Army's Camp Rudder on Eglin Air Force Base outside Pensacola, Army Ranger candidates go through their final and most difficult stage in their grueling training regimen. Capt. Jeremiah Cordovano, a Rudder instructor, said that yoga isn't a part of Ranger training but that some use it to build flexibility.
"It's still something that is sort of catching on, but a lot of guys have done it," he said. "I have done it quite a few times. A friend introduced me to it and I was surprised. At first I was just smiling, but after five or 10 minutes you really start to work out your muscles and stuff."
But the peaceful meditation techniques and chanting taught in yoga classes don't necessarily transfer to the combat zone, Cordovano said.
"I spent 14 months in Iraq, and I didn't see anybody doing yoga while I was over there," he said.
Copyright © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of The Associated Press.

bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-08-10 11:18 PM (#61426 - in reply to #61369)

ariesian34 - 2006-08-10 10:33 AM

I read it on a blog.

Gem Yoga

No surprise at all. In India Yoga is used in various sectors for self improvement. One thing to remember is that soldiers are not violent people. They fight and even die for their mother land. This can not be really called as violance. This is sacrifies they are doing for their country. In Bhagvat Gita Lord Krishna asks Arjuna to destroy the ememy for the sake of following his Khastriya Dharma. It is the same thing with the soldiers.

Orbilia
Posted 2006-08-11 6:07 AM (#61442 - in reply to #61426)

Well put. My ex was a soldier and he was probably the most grounded person I ever met. I guess when you've been through a war zone, life's regular turmoils just seem superficial some how. He taught me a lot about myself and my attitudes just by being him.

Fee

Edited by Orbilia 2006-08-11 6:08 AM
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-08-11 10:56 AM (#61464 - in reply to #61369)

I know what you mean, Orbilia. Seems like the men that have had to deal with life and death issues are not as easily irritated or spooked as guys that haven't had that experience or training.

For the past 24 hours all I can think about is how grateful I am for the intelligence, courage and tenacity of the Scotland Yard.

Besides, men in uniform are hot!

(PS I'll never forget the first time I took my bf, the big, tough fbi agent, to a Bikram yoga class. Quite a humbling experience for him!)
Orbilia
Posted 2006-08-11 11:23 AM (#61471 - in reply to #61464)

And you didn't smirk at all, did you ?

Fee
GreenJello
Posted 2006-08-11 12:49 PM (#61481 - in reply to #61369)

Probably was smart enough to realize the heat wasn't good for him.....
Cyndi
Posted 2006-08-11 1:43 PM (#61486 - in reply to #61426)

Expert Yogi

bipinjoshi - 2006-08-10 11:18 PM

No surprise at all. In India Yoga is used in various sectors for self improvement. One thing to remember is that soldiers are not violent people. They fight and even die for their mother land. This can not be really called as violance. This is sacrifies they are doing for their country. In Bhagvat Gita Lord Krishna asks Arjuna to destroy the ememy for the sake of following his Khastriya Dharma. It is the same thing with the soldiers.

But let's remember that the Gita was not promoting war and violence like some would think. Arjuna was a spiritual warrior and was torn between what to do. Krishna guided him and helped him along to make his decisions so that Arjuna could live with himself and deal with his karma. Lord Krishna asks Arjuna to engage himself in the righteous war between the Pandavas and the Kauravas because he is Kshatriya by nature. It is his duty to uphold the political solidarity of the country during his time. By engaging himself in the righteous war, with the spirit of surrender to the Divine Self within, he would be purifying his heart, freeing his mind of the gross impurities of anger, greed, hate, pride, and manifold forms of ego-centricity.

Actually, in a broader sense, we are ALL Kshatriya in the battlefield of life. We are always struggling with problems and situations all around us...fighting for survival and fighting to secure material means and to better ourselves. From a spiritual view, we have a fight that goes on within our hearts. Fighting between the forces of light and darkness. Fighting against the ego within us that is not real, but an illusion. Which brings the question to our minds, "Who am I" Which then leads us to the practice of Atma Vichara - inquiry into the nature of the Self.

If you really want to read up on another great Indian King warrior, you should read the story of Ashoka, it is really interesting. There is an Hindu movie that is really good too. It's one of my favorites. So is the Mahabarata.

This is interesting seeing as how my husband is Kshatriya in Hindu/Indian culture. Me too by marriage. Talk about an enlightening experience...to say the least!

I found this translation in the Bhagavad Gita. Chapter 2, Samkya Yogah - The Yoga of Knowledge

"Swadharmam api chaavekshya na vikampitum arhasi; Dharmyaddhi yuddhaa chreyo nyat kshratriyasya na vidyate."

Meaning: Further, having understood this to be your true duty, you should not waver. There is nothing more blessed for a kshatriya than a righteous war.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-11 2:01 PM (#61489 - in reply to #61369)

The Kshatriyas were assigned to be protectors of Dharma (duty/justice), their subjects and livestock. They were sanctioned by God to serve humanity. The noble king is regarded as a Dharma Raja (Just Ruler)

The Rig Veda states:

praja arya jyotiragrah. RV, VII. 33.17

People ruled by Aryans (nobles) are led by the Divine light. King Rama of Ayodhya is considered the greatest of the Dharma Rajas:

SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-11 2:10 PM (#61491 - in reply to #61369)

Isn't democracy was a more evolved form of hierchy than monarchies?

Caste?!

Why do we still have to deal with caste?
This discriminatory mentality is divisive and rude, no matter how beautiful the robes are that you dress it.

Cyndi
Posted 2006-08-11 2:36 PM (#61495 - in reply to #61489)

Expert Yogi

SCThornley - 2006-08-11 2:01 PM

The Kshatriyas were assigned to be protectors of Dharma (duty/justice), their subjects and livestock. They were sanctioned by God to serve humanity. The noble king is regarded as a Dharma Raja (Just Ruler)

The Rig Veda states:

praja arya jyotiragrah. RV, VII. 33.17

People ruled by Aryans (nobles) are led by the Divine light. King Rama of Ayodhya is considered the greatest of the Dharma Rajas:

I don't understand your point?? That could be one perspective...out of thousands. Personally, I'm not familiar with that version of the Rig Veda, there are several translations out there. Some are more clearly stated than others. I was quoting Srimad Bhagavad Gita earlier.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-08-11 2:45 PM (#61497 - in reply to #61491)

Expert Yogi

SCThornley - 2006-08-11 2:10 PM

Isn't democracy was a more evolved form of hierchy than monarchies?

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

Caste?!

what about it??

Why do we still have to deal with caste?

Well, it still exists today. It is very real among the Hindu culture...especially if you go to Nepal. There are several ways of perceiving the "caste" issue altogether. There are some positive aspects of the casting system, as there are also some very negative attributes as well. I'm assuming you are having a difficult time dealing with and resolving with the negative attributes of the caste system and how it came about later on. If you were to study the "truth" about the casting system, the original caste system, not the system that those mean old Brahmins in the temples way back when forced upon the Hindu society, but from the original Veda, it is very clear and actually a more condusive way of life for human beings.

This discriminatory mentality is divisive and rude, no matter how beautiful the robes are that you dress it.

I don't think so. Please do not accuse me of those things which are not true. You don't know what you are talking about. Besides, the only thing I see here is your opinion based on what you really don't know and understand.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-08-11 2:46 PM
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-11 2:49 PM (#61498 - in reply to #61369)

You know, there's nothing like a little "Old Time Religion" to keep the ruling class in place, and to keep the serfdom down.

The problem with the standard application of the religious beauracracy is it breeds discontent among the lower born caste.

That is why the Shiites have grown amongst the Muslims.

That's why Martin Luther started the protestant movement.

That's why there is a growing disrespect and distrust for authority, there is a historical foundation for it.

The original caste system exists in books.

What we have in the world is different.

BUT i still wub you Cyndi

Edited by SCThornley 2006-08-11 2:54 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-08-11 3:32 PM (#61513 - in reply to #61498)

Expert Yogi

Your wrong Steve. The original caste system is in the hearts and minds of alot of Hindus. It is their way of life. It is not our place to snatch that away from them and tell them they are wrong. This is very immature thinking and is why our nations are such turmoil to begin with. Their immaturity and lack of true understanding is what is causing the conflicts globally. It's so much more than that.

As for distrusting authority..it has nothing to do with historical foundations for it. Thousands of years went by with tribes who trusted their elders and they still do exist today. There have also been peaceful communities that lived on our planet eons ago. As well as non-peaceful. You just don't hear about the ones today too often due to their being primitive and wanting to stay out of the loop. Good and evil will always exist. It's how it is dealt with that is the problem. Let's face, our earth is so overpopulated right now. Democracy being forced upon the world and other cultures is not the answer. The reason I distrust authority is because they do not make the correct decisions, they are greedy and they tear holes in your heart and soul with their need to conquer and destroy human life. I could go on and on about this, but choose not to. I have thousands of other reasons why I distrust authority and human beings. Don't think just because you use the word "democracy" so loosely that it has any bearing on the way I feel. Democracy has its own little problems and needs to be tweaked...it has ruined and destroyed cultures as well...including our own. I'm not real proud of that. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, Democracy is just another form of control and brainwashing.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-11 4:03 PM (#61518 - in reply to #61513)

Cyndi - 2006-08-11 3:32 PM

Your wrong Steve. The original caste system is in the hearts and minds of alot of Hindus. It is their way of life. It is not our place to snatch that away from them and tell them they are wrong. This is very immature thinking and is why our nations are such turmoil to begin with. Their immaturity and lack of true understanding is what is causing the conflicts globally. It's so much more than that.

OK, I'm relieved to hear that the stories I get from my brother-in-law who has extensive dealings in South Asia, and my father who has extensively traveled in South and South East as well as far east Asia and my Uncles as well are simply untrue.

Let's face, our earth is so overpopulated right now.

Certain areas are, but the whole earth is not. I respectfully disagree with you on this matter and am not interested in any sort of population control philosophy that takes place anywhere other than in the hearts and minds of the affected populace. 'A Modest Proposal' and all following population control considerations are simply inhumane.

Democracy being forced upon the world and other cultures is not the answer.

Agreed

The reason I distrust authority is because they do not make the correct decisions, they are greedy and they tear holes in your heart and soul with their need to conquer and destroy human life. I could go on and on about this, but choose not to. I have thousands of other reasons why I distrust authority and human beings. Don't think just because you use the word "democracy" so loosely that it has any bearing on the way I feel. Democracy has its own little problems and needs to be tweaked...it has ruined and destroyed cultures as well...including our own. I'm not real proud of that..

I respectfully decline to concur with you based on philosophical differences and the historical record. The worst slaughters of mankind took place by governments other than democratic ones.

Besides, as far as I'm concerned, Democracy is just another form of control and brainwashing.

I would substitute the word "currency" for Democracy in this statement and then I agree with you.

But, to a degree I can agree that all forms of government tend to want to control their population [tax base] and keep the procedures to do such things hidden from the naked eye or at least pitch these initiatives as a way to be safer and more secure.

*Fifi*
Posted 2006-08-11 5:01 PM (#61541 - in reply to #61369)

There's a definite caste system in India. It's very evident. It's not like the US is the only country on the planet that judges people on their class, education and skin color.

There's an excellent book, "The City of Joy", which captures life for the everyday Indian. It's a good read.

Not all religion is bad. The fundamentalists are bad - Muslims, Christians, Peta...

On the note of religion, I heard one US commentator say the reason many people hate the Jews is because they brought the word of God to humanity, thus, creating rules and laws to live by. I don't know if I believe this completely but it is an interesting perspective. No more sleeping with your daughter just because you like it. (I'm referring to the ancients)

SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-11 5:07 PM (#61542 - in reply to #61541)

*Fifi* - 2006-08-11 5:01 PM

Not all religion is bad. The fundamentalists are bad - Muslims, Christians, Peta...

PETA
LNP20
Posted 2006-08-16 1:16 PM (#61830 - in reply to #61542)

SCThornley - 2006-08-11 5:07 PM

*Fifi* - 2006-08-11 5:01 PM

PETA

hahahha. heard a lot of things by now,but this.... =)
Balen
Posted 2006-10-17 1:39 PM (#67365 - in reply to #61369)

Great thread....

As an ex Soldier, former Military School, gun loving NRA member, etc...I found the Zen part of life within the Military; soon the Yoga came to me also. I think you would be surprised to see that Yoga was available to the Screaming Eagles (101), or over in Germany with 11 acr black horse. Small percentage of us in the service however it was never ever frowned upon in fact it was promoted to us and heavily endorsed.

Posted 2006-10-17 4:03 PM (#67387 - in reply to #61369)

i think that in recent years the military has found that it's construct of how soldiers are trained has a few holes. While discipline--very strict discipline--with particular off-gassing valves have been the common construct, the recognition that discipline without direction has dangerous off-gassing.

throughout the world, every culture has a religious practice and oten warriors had to be the most disciplined spiritually to be functional warriors.

Thus, the introduction of these techniques.
Balen
Posted 2006-10-18 3:29 PM (#67461 - in reply to #61369)

agree Zoe
laylie99
Posted 2006-10-30 2:45 PM (#68525 - in reply to #61541)

*Fifi* - 2006-08-11 2:01 PM

I really, REALLY hope I'm misinterpreting this.

How can you say that Muslims and Christians are "bad"?

I was raised Muslim, and though I am non-practicing, I find it incredibly offensive that anyone would generalize an entire religion based on the actions of a handful of extremist groups.

I can only speak from years of personal experience when I say that the Muslims I know are, by far, the kindest, warmest, most honest and most collective people I have ever known.

I hope that you were only referring to extremist groups - which also exist in many other religions.

If your experience with all Christians and Muslims has been "bad" then I really feel sad for you.

Hopefully, I was just misinterpreting what you said before!

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)