YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga and the Military
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

Posted 2006-10-30 3:58 PM (#68530 - in reply to #68525)
Subject: RE: Yoga and the Military

While she doesn't need help defending her statment, Fifi wrote that "The fundamentalists are bad - Muslims, Christians, Peta..." Intoning it's that wacked faction of those groups that are bad not all of those designated groups.
You know, growing up in the post WWII age, it was absolutely OK to refer to all Comminists as bad and that all Facists (German, Italian, and Japanese) were bad. A rational mind knows that that's not the case--many had to swear allegence or face death. To this day my mother has a fear of all things Japanese. These days, with Muslim lunatics typifying the intolerance and wanton death and destruction around the globe, looks like that will be the prejudice ingrained in this generation. And that being said, if I were Muslim, I would spend every waking moment denouncing the Islamic facisists.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
yogirl
Posted 2006-10-30 4:57 PM (#68533 - in reply to #61369)

i completely agree with Bruce here.

Peta that was wicked funny (uh oh i'm wicked showing my new england roots...)

Namaste,
humble yogirl
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-10-30 6:24 PM (#68540 - in reply to #61369)

Thank you, Bruce! And very well stated.

Ok, this may not be the forum to bring this up but has anyone been paying attention to what's going on in Deerborn, Michigan?
laylie99
Posted 2006-10-30 6:47 PM (#68542 - in reply to #68530)

Bruce - 2006-10-30 12:58 PM

While she doesn't need help defending her statment, Fifi wrote that "The fundamentalists are bad - Muslims, Christians, Peta..." Intoning it's that wacked faction of those groups that are bad not all of those designated groups.
You know, growing up in the post WWII age, it was absolutely OK to refer to all Comminists as bad and that all Facists (German, Italian, and Japanese) were bad. A rational mind knows that that's not the case--many had to swear allegence or face death. To this day my mother has a fear of all things Japanese. These days, with Muslim lunatics typifying the intolerance and wanton death and destruction around the globe, looks like that will be the prejudice ingrained in this generation. And that being said, if I were Muslim, I would spend every waking moment denouncing the Islamic facisists.

Wow.
That makes me feel really sad.

It's definitley time for me to bow out of this thread.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-10-30 7:13 PM (#68543 - in reply to #61369)

Again, it's the fundamentalists/extremists that give any group a bad name. Animal lovers are not bad but how annoying is Peta? And, I don't think anyone here is saying Muslims or Christians are bad. Please reread the post if you are confused.

fifi

Posted 2006-10-30 8:15 PM (#68544 - in reply to #68543)

Natalie,
You take unsubstantiated offense I think--again, logical folks don't believe all Muslims are awful--just the crazy ones--as in any group.
jonnie
Posted 2006-10-31 2:36 PM (#68625 - in reply to #61369)

Hi Bruce and Fifi,

I totally agree with your comments (even though you're gun loving Republicans )

Jonathon
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-10-31 7:18 PM (#68632 - in reply to #61369)

thanks, Jonnie.

(For the record, I'm a registered Independent and I'm neutral about guns [but I uphold other's right to bear arms]). Since a certain faction of America tends towards psychosis, I vote in favor of the other.

later - fifi
Balen
Posted 2006-11-01 12:48 PM (#68677 - in reply to #68632)

*Fifi* - 2006-10-31 7:18 PM

thanks, Jonnie.

(For the record, I'm a registered Independent and I'm neutral about guns [but I uphold other's right to bear arms]). Since a certain faction of America tends towards psychosis, I vote in favor of the other.

later - fifi

Fifi

I had no idea, ( how to word this with out pssing anyone off) I agree with 100%

Balen tips his hat towards the lady with a smile.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-11-01 2:50 PM (#68698 - in reply to #61369)

Oh, goodie, Balen. I love a guy that tips his hat. By the way, is that a picture of you in your avatar?
Cyndi
Posted 2006-11-01 2:58 PM (#68699 - in reply to #68698)

Expert Yogi

*Fifi* - 2006-11-01 2:50 PM

Oh, goodie, Balen. I love a guy that tips his hat. By the way, is that a picture of you in your avatar?

yea Balen, I asked this once before too. Are you the Marlboro Man?? I always liked your's and Afroyogi's smoking man avatar...I wonder what happened to Afroyogi, I miss arguing with him,
Cyndi
Posted 2006-11-01 3:06 PM (#68704 - in reply to #68543)

Expert Yogi

*Fifi* - 2006-10-30 7:13 PM

Again, it's the fundamentalists/extremists that give any group a bad name. Animal lovers are not bad but how annoying is Peta? And, I don't think anyone here is saying Muslims or Christians are bad. Please reread the post if you are confused.

fifi

I'm an animal lover, but I really cannot deal with Peta. These people are crazy and unreasonable. They came up here to the mountains and tried to ruin our Possum Drop event on New Years Eve. This was a harmless annual event that had been taking place for many years. Peta caught wind of it and tried to shut them down. It was so stupid of them not to mind their own dam business. I think they finally backed off, but it was like good grief, go away.

I think there are much better ways of getting your message or point across. If more people were enlightened and could see the WHOLE picture and operate from that KNOWING, the world would be a much more peaceful place. Unfortunately, we haven't evolved to that point yet. We need "enlightened leadership"...not one sided viewpoints and perceptions,
Balen
Posted 2006-11-01 3:57 PM (#68712 - in reply to #68698)

*Fifi* - 2006-11-01 2:50 PM

No that is Lee Van Cleef In the movie For a few dollars more...

Icon of mine
I ll post one of me below in the non yoga related.
ellen
Posted 2007-01-08 4:14 AM (#73233 - in reply to #61464)

Well put. My ex was a soldier and he was probably the most grounded person I ever met. I guess when you've been through a war zone, life's regular turmoils just seem superficial some how. He taught me a lot about myself and my attitudes just by being him.

*Fifi* - 2006-08-11 7:56 AM

I know what you mean, Orbilia. Seems like the men that have had to deal with life and death issues are not as easily irritated or spooked as guys that haven't had that experience or training.

Girls, girls, girls please don't sentimentalize war. Men who have been in gory combat DO NOT COME BACK LESS EASILY ANGERED OR SPOOKED! Just visit any VA hospital if you need proof! they come back pschologically f*cked up! The disipline and training of boot camp very well may make him more macho, more seemingly in control, but the reality of being scared ****less everyday, not being able to discern who is trying to kill you and who isn't, is NOT GOOD for the human psche.

The Vietnamese men I know from the Vietnam War generation get a good laugh out of the American vets who came home pissing their pants and waking up screaming with nightmares. After 1000 YEARS OF CONTINUAL WAR, they have developed a coping mechanism or two. But to a man, they all have trouble with anger and control "issues".

Think of it when you hold your infant son. Is that what you want for him? Is that the man you want him to become?

When you consider the murder of innocents that occur in every war, how can you possibly say it is good?

I can enjoy the combination of macho and protector fantasy as well as the next woman. BUT IT'S MAKE BELIEVE!

I think these things should happen every time we go to war:

1) It has to be a draft. If the "issue" is important enough for my neighbor's child to die for, it is important enough for my child to die for. No education deferments, no deferments except for physical incapacity.

2) Women must be included in the draft. Let's see how hot we all are on going to war when our 18-30 year old daughters, not just the macho ones but the ones who grew up playing with dolls and having tea parties, are equally as likely to enter FULL COMBAT as our sons.

I think that would be enough for us to stop glorifying the whole process.
ellen
Posted 2007-01-08 4:31 AM (#73234 - in reply to #61518)

Cyndi - 2006-08-11 3:32 PM
Let's face, our earth is so overpopulated right now.

SC replies:Certain areas are, but the whole earth is not. I respectfully disagree with you on this matter and am not interested in any sort of population control philosophy that takes place anywhere other than in the hearts and minds of the affected populace. 'A Modest Proposal' and all following population control considerations are simply inhumane.

I agree with you 100% Steve. How can one tacitly condone genocide?

Cyndi, I do not think a person can be fully sensitive to the suffering of one species without being sensitive to the suffering of others... I think if you really witnessed bad, gory human suffering (and I haven't, thank baby jesus) your heart would break.
ellen
Posted 2007-01-08 4:45 AM (#73236 - in reply to #73234)

Maybe I should stop reading old threads and responding to them like they happened yesterday. I have to amend my late night habits. But guys, this thread was just too much! What would Buddha say? What would Jesus do? (sorry, that's all I've gotten to in my education, but you know what I mean) How about Ghandi? Mother Tereas? Nelson Mandella?

And Nick, if you're reading this, no more torturing the pedaphiles, ok? Of course children need to be protected, but consider our wise sayings,,, the end does not justify the means, two wrongs do not make a right, etc etc etc (Aside from that, Nick, I love your posts : )) And Cyndi, I love your true heart, and I love your taste in men ; ), and fifi, yours too!

Come on, family! It's wrong to cause suffering, right? The process of figuring out what actually is the gentle and good thing to do can get complicated, but we're talking about the easy stuff here.

xoxellen
ellen
Posted 2007-01-08 4:58 AM (#73237 - in reply to #73233)

I forgot to add my third go-to-war rule:

3) You can draft one parent, but not both. That's just stupid.
ellen
Posted 2007-01-08 5:15 AM (#73238 - in reply to #61513)

Cyndi - 2006-08-11 12:32 PM

Your wrong Steve. The original caste system is in the hearts and minds of alot of Hindus. It is their way of life. It is not our place to snatch that away from them and tell them they are wrong. This is very immature thinking and is why our nations are such turmoil to begin with. Their immaturity and lack of true understanding is what is causing the conflicts globally. It's so much more than that.

Cyndi, I don't know about Hinduism and I'm not commenting on that specifically, but I do think that even when a custom or belief belongs historically to a certain culture or religion, it is our sacred duty to protest it when it is wrong. Many practices aren't clear cut in this regard, but some are: female circumcision is one that comes to mind. How far from the divine do we have to get before we take a stand and say that it is wrong? Before we use whatever influence we have to bring an end to the practice? Again, I don't understand the caste system. Ghandi was against it, at least in the form of having an "untouchable" class. I know this from slogging through most of his autobiography. He made his wife clean up ****, which really pissed her off! Actually, he threw her out of the house when she refused to, then was ashamed of his actions. They made up, but I'm not sure if she ever cleaned the latrine or not. I know he cleaned it.
ollie
Posted 2007-01-08 7:40 PM (#73321 - in reply to #68530)

And that being said, if I were Muslim, I would spend every waking moment denouncing the Islamic facisists.

Which is why, as an American, I spend most of my waking moments denouncing American Facisits.

Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-08 9:54 PM (#73327 - in reply to #73236)

Expert Yogi

ellen - 2007-01-08 4:45 AM Maybe I should stop reading old threads and responding to them like they happened yesterday. I have to amend my late night habits. But guys, this thread was just too much! What would Buddha say? What would Jesus do? (sorry, that's all I've gotten to in my education, but you know what I mean) How about Ghandi? Mother Tereas? Nelson Mandella? And Nick, if you're reading this, no more torturing the pedaphiles, ok? Of course children need to be protected, but consider our wise sayings,,, the end does not justify the means, two wrongs do not make a right, etc etc etc (Aside from that, Nick, I love your posts : )) And Cyndi, I love your true heart, and I love your taste in men ; ), and fifi, yours too! Come on, family! It's wrong to cause suffering, right? The process of figuring out what actually is the gentle and good thing to do can get complicated, but we're talking about the easy stuff here. xoxellen

Hey Ellen,

I think most folks here agree on the ethical fundamentals, even if they have different ways of getting there.  My theory is that doing yoga eventually makes everyone share some basic ideas about many ways to reach the truth and about tolerance and about humanity. But, since we all come her from different directions, we all have a different history and have followed a different path. It takes a while for us to get in synch and to drop the easy, cool sounding answers.

I like what you wrote about "What would Buddha/Jesus/Ghandi/Nelson say" b/c I think that it's really easy to overlook deeper principles when your are angry/busy/tired/distracted/showing off. Those deeper principles are HARDER for humans to follow and we can only maintain them if we work at it.

.... bg

Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-08 10:11 PM (#73330 - in reply to #73238)

Expert Yogi

ellen - 2007-01-08 5:15 AM

Cyndi, I don't know about Hinduism and I'm not commenting on that specifically, but I do think that even when a custom or belief belongs historically to a certain culture or religion, it is our sacred duty to protest it when it is wrong.

So tell me Ellen, what makes you so sure that your sacredness is right and their's is wrong?? Actually, I think the Hindu caste system is a beautiful system. The humans and their ignorance are what has ruined it, not the system itself. It kinda scares me when someone says things like what you said...it sorda infringes upon my freedom. In fact, I bet you could come to my house and find all kinds of things to protest and find fault with.

Anyway, Ghandi was not the only enlightened person in the Hindu culture. There are many who still hold the Hindu Caste system very sacred...my husband and I are one of those people. When I die, my first wish is to come back into a Hindu life, second is Tibetan (in the time period when the Chinese are not in the picture...although, I do love TCM...) and then of course Native American....in the early days before the white man came along and told them they were "savages". Oh another perfect example of a culture that was destroyed by someone who was protesting what they "though" was WRONG.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-01-08 10:12 PM
jonnie
Posted 2007-01-09 6:11 AM (#73354 - in reply to #61369)

Cyndi - 2007-01-09 6:11 AM

When I die, my first wish is to come back into a Hindu life

...and supose your wish is granted and you are born as an 'untouchable'.

Would you still hold the system sacred, when most windows of opportunity will be closed to you?

Jonathon
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-09 10:32 AM (#73380 - in reply to #73354)

Expert Yogi

Jonnie,

Like I said, the caste syste is fine, it's the ingnorance of human beings that have destroyed it. But, I don't believe it is destroyed in most people. It just seems that way to the outside world. Come on over to America and I'll show a worst caste system. This thread is somewhat disturbing to me because I don't like to have conversations with people who do not have a 'clear' understanding about what they are discussing, and the fact that this discussion is based upon "perceptions", not facts or truth. We've had this discussion about the caste system before on this forum.

I could think of other terrible things that I could come back as besides an untouchable...believe me, there are many worse situations.
jonnie
Posted 2007-01-09 11:44 AM (#73393 - in reply to #61369)

Very true.

The concept of the caste system is something I continously wrestle with, and like abortion (and I'm not comparing the two) I still haven't arrived at a 'right' answer (for me).

70% of the expat population of Dubai are Indian and many of the Hindu's I speak with also have very different and sometimes passionate opinions on this subject.

I don't know about Nepal, but if I'm not mistaken, wasn't it made illegal in India a while back?
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-09 12:58 PM (#73400 - in reply to #73393)

Expert Yogi

Jonnie,

No, the India caste system is not illegal in Nepal or India. You do know that the caste system is included in the Vedas...the 4 caste, not the additional 5th that was added by those Bad Brahmin Priests much later. Again, we've discussed on the forum before, it's not the system that is bad, it is the humans that are. You can do searches to read about the Caste System. If you read it without the negativity, you might understand it more clearly.

My husband got really irritated when I read him some of the things on this board this morning. He wanted to say alot of things, but I chose not to. It's just not worth the argument. However, one of the things he did say was this. You should tell this board that the caste system is similar to a Honey Bee Hive. You have a Queen Bee, you have Drones, you have Worker Bees, You have Field Bees, you have Guard Bees. Every one does their job, there is no comparing each other, it is a system that makes the colony strong. The final production is this wonderful nectar of honey that is sooo sweet and pure!! The Bee Colony is a very unique and wonderful society within the bee hive...trust me, I'm fascinated everytime I open up one of my hives. In fact, I always think how nice it would be if we lived in a world where everyone worked together like the honey bees do.

Unfortunately, everyone is working to compete with one another, working against one another, arguing over who is right and who is wrong...micro-managing everyone and everything, therefore causing communities to be separate. Human life today is full of suffering because there is no sense of Unity and definitely no sense of community. It's all crap.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-01-09 1:00 PM
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)