YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

private lessons?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

zenergy47
Posted 2006-08-22 12:50 AM (#62325)
Subject: private lessons?

I am starting to build up my private yoga clients... i am wondering from you teachers out there - do u offer a contract to your students, do u have them commit to a certain amount of time, basically i would like to know how you handle private lessons

thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-22 9:16 AM (#62359 - in reply to #62325)
Subject: RE: private lessons?

i offer private lessons in different structures.

First, they can pay by the hour and pay by the lesson. If they want a two hour lesson this tuesday, then they'll pay for two hours this tuesday. If they cancel/reschedule with 24 hours notice, then they don't have to pay. If they cancel within 24 hours, then they pay a small fee (1/2 hour cost). if i cancel within 24 hours, they get a free 1/2 hour lesson.

Next, i offer lessons in groups. They can buy 4-12 classes that expire in 3 months. They pay for this up front--at the first lesson. the rescheduling/cancelling things still apply.

With this, i have some clients who buy 3 classes or more/week for 3 months. so, they pay upfront for 36 or more classes. if you buy three or more a week, you get a 10% discount.
mishoga
Posted 2006-08-22 9:30 AM (#62362 - in reply to #62325)

Expert Yogi

I have a couple of privates. I don't have strict rules with contracts. we discuss date and time and I show up. I've not had a problem with cancelation so the issue of time and monies lost is moot for me.
I like to build relationships with my students and private clients on complete trust. I trust all until they prove to not be trustworthy. For the most part this works for me. I have had a couple that took advantage of that but when the initial pang of anger or frustration arise I take a deep breath and say to myself, they have to live with themselves. I have not really lost anything. My integrity and morals are intake. If anything I usually feel sorry for that person.

Anyway, I run my privates from my heart and I think they respect me for that. I've definitely been blessed with the people who come into my life. 99% of them are fantastic individuals.

If you feel you need them to commit to a certain amount of lessons, then go for it. Definitely have them sign a medical waiver though (not that it's 100% fault proof) but it's good business.

Good luck!

Mish

Hey, where ya working now?

Posted 2006-08-22 9:59 AM (#62367 - in reply to #62325)

there are a few legal considerations though--bonded contracts.

as an individual who offers 'fitness training' (officially by my state), if i have an agreement that extends longer than 3 months (that is, i sell them X number of lessons for X dollars and it expires in a year), then i have to have a specialized bond and certain contractual obligations apply. Essentially, i have to have a contract that says certain things that both people sign; that contract has to be able to be rescended completely within 3 days; and that the bond has to be a certain amount so that if i somehow fold my business or whatever, those people can be reimbursed through the bond. It's a pretty pricey proposition.

so, i make sure that everyone realizes that things expire within 3 months. Anything 90 days or under is not considered a 'legal contract' and therefore i needn't do the things above. I can set my own refund policy (which is currently no refunds after a certain number of lessons has already been used, partial refund if a certain number haven't been used, etc).

states differ on what contracts are, what they mean, who is offering them and how.

it's not about not trusting people or getting upset when they don't pay you. this is about understanding and following the law so that you are protected from certain types of financial liability.

hey, are you an LLC?
tourist
Posted 2006-08-22 11:19 AM (#62382 - in reply to #62367)

Expert Yogi

I haven't done much in the private area, but with our dance teacher we just work out a day and time (we go every other week) and pay as we go. We haven't had to deal with cancellations much, although he did have to cancel for a family emergency once and we had some mutual rearranging to do around holidays etc. My only complaint is that he doesn't charge enough - $40 an hour is a steal.
mishoga
Posted 2006-08-22 11:40 AM (#62387 - in reply to #62367)

Expert Yogi

zoebird - 2006-08-22 9:59 AM hey, are you an LLC?

I am not but I do carry personal Liability Insurance with coverage up to 4 million. Of course there are limitations on the policy and restrictions.
Are you a LLC?

I didn't mean to say that it is all about trust and such. I am not a business person, actually I don't like the business aspect at all. I would imagine at some point I might hire someone to take care of my business responsibilities, like a management firm.

I love my yoga and sharing it. Sometimes though, I do have to take off my yoga clothes and put on my business hat, so to say. Especially when employers try to take advantage of my generosity and good nature.

I really have the attitude that all people have good hearts with good intentions. Unfortunately, not all are that way. There are givers and takers. This is where the business of yoga can get sticky. I don't like that part.

Mish

Posted 2006-08-22 12:17 PM (#62392 - in reply to #62387)

mish:

i am currently a sole proprietor. there are benefits and drawbacks. while i have liability insurance (through YA and related), i recently learned of a change in PA law that makes this less viable for me. under this new law, married couples can be assumed under 'community property' laws. prior to this, as long as i kept my accounts separate from my husband--and everything like the house, etc, is in his name--then the law suit that might extend beyond insurance coverage could only attach to my aspect of the finances. Whereas now, it can attach to our house, everything.

and recently, on account of this, a sole proprietorship that i'd taught under (it was a gym) recently went under and the family filed for bankruptcy. essentially, one client injured himself and took them to court. the client one the case but was awarded beyond the liability insurance. thus, the insurance covered that aspect and then a legal lien went onto their home and business. They were unable to generate income, they had to sell their home to create the capital to pay the lien, and ultimately they had to file for bankruptcy.

this was an established business with more than 25 years in business. They lost everything!

Having an LLC makes a larger barrier between your business and your personal finances. an LLC is simple to register ($100 or so with a lawyer will do it). you are an 'employee' of the business, so you pay yoruself from the income. taxes are a bit different--but should your liability insurance not cover the award, they cannot attach any of your presonal belongings because you are separate from the business financially.

in light of this, i'm going to LLC when we move. I figure it's silly to do it here and now when i'll have to reregister new addresses, phone numbers, etc.

---

mostly, my concern with this isn't really that clients are good natured, good hearted people, but rather what can legally attach. the individual who may get injured--even if it's not my fault at all--can still sue me, and if they do, then their lawyer know what does and doesn't attach legally and will strive to get the maximum that s/he can. they're not bad people either--that's their job!

so, understanding how the law works, what might be at stake, and what a court can actually enforce or 'go after' is an important aspect of running a business--even though i have no expectation of getting sued.

i did have one person threaten once, but i told them that i could easily get 20 affidavits that said i told him repeatedly not to do a certain movement (which he kept doing) and explained to him why in the classroom and that he would loose the case. He decided not to sue.
mishoga
Posted 2006-08-22 12:45 PM (#62395 - in reply to #62325)

Expert Yogi

I think about these aspects of yoga. I've dealt with them through my career in fitness. It's the part I like the least.

I know I have to take measures to safe guard my personal assets, I've been pushing them off. You just bring it out more that I really should speak with a laywer and my accountant.
I meet with my accountant in Jan. Have to discuss a lot. I know one of my consultants has urged me to retain a lawyer but I've been putting that off.
Come the new year, I am going to take care of business. Urghhhhhhh

I wish I could live in my fantasy Yogaville with like minded people and never have to worry about reality. This is wishful thinking. Sometimes I dream of leaving all material possesion behind and lving at a Ashram. That's when I let my mind get away like at this moment. Let me bring myself back to the wonderful book I'm reading "How we Live our Yoga"

Mish

Posted 2006-08-22 12:51 PM (#62396 - in reply to #62325)

i plan on 'retiring' to an ashram if i'm viable to do so when my children (should i have any) and grandchildren (should i have any) are independent enough of me (hopefully an ashram close enough for them to visit and vice-versa) and my husband has passed (stats demonstrate that he'll likely go first).

i have already set up my retirement funding to reflect this, including loose trust structures for myself at 'that age' (which may be in my 80s or 90s).

it's pretty wild when you think about *really* long term planning.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-22 4:27 PM (#62424 - in reply to #62396)

Expert Yogi

ZB - you are SUCH a lawyer

mish - the ashrams that keep themselves in existence have really good lawyers and accountants and at least some members whose talents lie in that area so the lawyers and accountants don't rob them blind. One of the things I love about our non-profit society running our centre is that there are always some people who like that sort of work and would rather do that than things like cleaning and mending props, which I like to do. I'd rather do a million other things than paper work! Yet strangely (there are NO coincidences!!!) I had just started to clean up a space to get ready to go over our (home) finances when the computer silently called to me..... Thanks for the reminder to get back on task

Posted 2006-08-22 4:38 PM (#62427 - in reply to #62325)

lol

i'm a pragmatist. seriously.
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-22 6:09 PM (#62456 - in reply to #62325)

If you really get into the legal mumbo jumbo- it extends beyond LLC. There is also an S-Corp and a C-Corp. In this day and age of people suing over the simplest things, it almost makes no sense to be a sole proprietorship- everything you own is at stake. I'm not in the yoga business, but look at the different designations within the corporation. Currently, here at the restaurant, we are a C-corp. That makes sense for us right now in our first 5 years. Basically, our losses carry over into the next fiscal year- So it's not about starting at zero- for instance, with LLC if you finished year 1 at -$100 then you start year 2 at $0. With a C-corp, you would start year 2 at -$100 and build from there. It affects your taxes at the end of the year- this is good until you begin to show a profit. At which point it is better to be an S-Corp (but I forget why). My brothers are the attorneys, not me.
I think it's really important to protect yourself and your livliehood (sp?)

Posted 2006-08-22 7:58 PM (#62477 - in reply to #62325)

yeah, c- and s-corps provide a whole other level of liability protection. . .and i think it's definately important for a business like yours which has a LOT of start up costs and depreciable assets (kitchen appliances for example)!

our business is a bit more. . .mmm. . .slow? i think starting out as a SP is a good way to go if business is small. But once it gets consistantly large enough--you're dealing with a lot of people/classes--or moves into something FT, it should definately transition toward the LLC. If nothing else, it protects your assets (and for some people, that's kid's college tuition!).

the LLC can carry a teacher into a studio setting and be a good idea for the first year or two (if you have enough capital to support start up--all that good stuff you mentioned, jos), but if the studio gets large enough and you start moving into selling supplies and equipment, making videos, franchising or having teacher-outreach (outsourcing your teachers to gyms for a connection and part of the income), and related, it's a good idea to transfer over into the C or S corp scenario.

I do not know if i will ever get along that far. i have considered it, but i think right now it's more paperwork than it's worth. Although, under the new tax codes, there are c/s-corp elements that are now applied to LLCs that benefit the LLC as it would benefit the c/s-corp. So, that's something to talk to the accountant about.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)