YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

bad ankle
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

mryanni2000
Posted 2006-08-23 3:23 PM (#62597)
Subject: bad ankle

Hello, about a year ago while deployed in afghanistan my left ankle kept sliding outwards in my boot (the rocks were really bad). However, I didn't completly roll it over. There were no signs of fractures, just a slight instability. I have done lots of physical therapy, which is ok, but I still get sharp pains in the outer bone on my ankle.All my physical therapist told me was that my bad ankle was tighter than my good ankle and that I have some bone spurs in my heel.

It doesn't happend during the workout however, which is really weird. It happends later. I just did a yoga workout tonight (Shea Rae) on DVD and like 10 minutes later, the sharp pain in ankle came back. Are there certain asanas that put a lot of stress on the ankle that I should be avoiding? I mainly just do different series of the sun salutations.

Thanks,
mryanni2000
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-23 4:23 PM (#62603 - in reply to #62597)
Subject: RE: bad ankle

first, i'm glad that you're safely home from afghanistan. i hope you know that there are lots of us who prayed for 'all ya'll' deployed around the world.

second, to the yoga issue, the common maxim is to keep practicing AND practice mindfully (don't push yourself too far).

with this, i would recommend you find a teacher to help.

and, can you roll your ankles? that helps loosen the joint.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-23 4:29 PM (#62605 - in reply to #62597)

make circles with your feet.

I only say this because it worked for me.

Lots and Lots of circles.

One way then the other.

Point your feet to the furthest right and left with your knees facing forward.
Laying on your back, point your toes away from your body, and tighten your butt, breathe out...release butt then bring toes back like you're trying to touch your shins with your toes breathe in. Repeat

then do more circles.

worked for me after breaking both legs and having a cast on one for more than 4 months.

Some injuries are permanent, though, and you may have to learn to live with what you've got.

But the circular motions will help rehab what you have left, and make the most of it.

Good Luck.

tourist
Posted 2006-08-23 5:21 PM (#62612 - in reply to #62605)

Expert Yogi

There are no bad ankles - just ankles that need some TLC
joscmt
Posted 2006-08-23 7:32 PM (#62640 - in reply to #62597)

When I was doing rehab on my ankle after rolling it pretty badly (didn't tear anything..but close). I was instructed to do circles (!) and to "spell" the alphabet with my foot.
In terms of yoga, I found that it was difficult to do the warrior poses, triangle- anything that has your foot in that position- some of the straddles ( I don't know the pose name for it). One thing my teacher stresses (because she has rheumatoid arthritis and has to protect her joints) is to keep your ankle in the flexed position. Do not let your ankle collapse. It's helped alot because I still have problems with mine- even 3 years later.. Good Luck!

Posted 2006-08-25 3:16 AM (#62840 - in reply to #62597)

Tourists point is well taken AND underemphasized!!!!!

Once we start labeling something as "bad" we begin a manifestation process that's more challenging to battle.
So a paradigm shift is going to be essential on your part.

Shiva's stuff is very Pitta, incredibly energetic. It's a very lively practice. You mention only doing versions of Surya Namaskar. At what pace please? Are you doing all nine asanas from the classical surya namaskar (there are 18 versions so I have to inquire more deeply).

Stabilizing the ankles is tricky without modifying the sequencing. Is it possible you've got a strained ligment or tendon in the ankle? If that is the case you should not stretch the joint further. Though it might be intuitive it is contraindicated.

There is a foot series but imparting it over this medium is very difficult and time consuming. As always I think it best to consult a yoga teacher with several years of therapeutic training - assuming you want to pursue yoga as a healing modality and not just a workout.
mryanni2000
Posted 2006-08-26 1:43 PM (#62927 - in reply to #62840)

Well, I am getting a bone scan on monday... but when I saw the physical therapist, he said that the area around my ankle was tight. (unusual for a person who rolled their ankle.. i am thinking that it was tight from overcomensating with my right ankle). The dvd is broken down into like 4 different options to choose from. But, the one i have done, she does include the whole series, just different variations. The pace of this dvd is quicker than I am use to, but it flows nicely! I do a lot all the warrior, triangle, and moon pose. My flexibility is okay, not even on the same plain as shiva, but I am sweating by the end...lol. For each workout selection there is a long list of series. I really don't feel like I have weak ankles. I have no problems with balancing poses and don't feel pain while I am in the warrior poses. It is afterwards.

Strained ligment or tendon? Maybe, hopefully I will find out this week,
Thanks for the input!!

Posted 2006-08-28 1:52 AM (#62994 - in reply to #62927)

Just an fyi,

the classical Surya Namaskar for beginners cotains these poses:

Namaskarasana
Ardha Chandrasana (not the one on one foot)
Uttanasana
Ardha Uttanasana
Vanarasana
Phalakasana (or plank pose)
Ashtanga Namaskar
Sarpasana
Bhujangasana
Adho Mukha Svanasana
[vanarasana, uttanasana, ardha chandrasana, namaskarasana]

mryanni2000
Posted 2006-08-31 6:11 PM (#63319 - in reply to #62927)

I got the resuts today on my ankle and was told that I have a stress fracture in my ankle. Now based on that information are there particular asanas that could improve the integrity of my ankle?
thanks
Nick
Posted 2006-09-21 4:16 AM (#64908 - in reply to #63319)

Hi Melissa,
Stress fractures of the talus are fairly common. Unfortunately, as a follow-up, arthritis is also common in those who have suffered a stress fracture. Are there any yoga postures that are good? Unfortunately, it's not what you do, but how you do it, that determines whether yoga poses will be good for you. My advice is to find a physio who takes you through a balance workout-then you apply the rules to what you learn in yoga positions, such as keeping the knee facing forwards when balanced on one leg. Perhaps get a wobble-board-the physio will take you through a range of exercises which should exercise your ankle through an unstable, multi-planar training environment.
One of the aims of the exercises will be to attempt to compensate for the so-called 'proprioceptive deficit' which is so often a result of sprained ankles. Good luck

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)