YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Designing a Dream Yoga Studio
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

polouski
Posted 2006-08-23 11:56 PM (#62663)
Subject: Designing a Dream Yoga Studio

Hello everyone,

I am new to yoga and its benefits, but loving every minute. This semester in my interior design coursework I am designing a yoga studio and may have the opportunity to help remodel the studio in which I practice. Would you be kind enough to tell my what, given your experience with your own practice and that of your students, would be the elements of your dream studio? Any input about great lighting ideas, color use, flooring, organizing equipment, etc. would be greatly appreciated and integrated into my design.

Many Thanks,
Beth
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-08-24 3:21 AM (#62673 - in reply to #62663)
Subject: RE: Designing a Dream Yoga Stu

Beth,

I would reply to this post but that response would be very long.

I am in the process of clarifying all this for my own studio design, though I'm not a designer. I have some very particular ideas that may not be shared across the collective of yoga teachers here ont he board.
You might find conflicting suggestions.

I will gather this and PM it to you for your own use.

Posted 2006-08-24 8:01 AM (#62688 - in reply to #62663)
Subject: RE: Designing a Dream Yoga Studio

the indian system similar to feng sui (i can't recall the name, but i'll try to look it up)--it's commonly used in their architecture--would be worth looking into as well. also, baubiology.

as the basis, my studio would be completely environmentally friendly--or as much as humanly possible. i'd want nontoxic cork or bamboo floors, walls painted with 'milk paint' or some form of natural, non-toxic paint, and dimable long-life, full spectrum lights in filtered bulbs.

i'd want pot lights, an area in the east for a small altar (even if high on the wall), props to fit into one closet and stereo and books and other 'teacher' equipment to be in another--which can be completely closed off (i prefer sliding doors or pocket doors for these sorts of things as well).

i like natural light, so windows would be nice; in my home studio i use guazy sheer curtains that let in lots of light but you can't see in and you won't be distracted by outside things. (though, birdsong is nice. )

as to the entrance, i would prefer it to be clean, cohesive with the yoga room but of course separate, but also relaxed and comfortable. large enough for people to gather and talk, perhaps a small 'lending' library, maybe tea available, and a casual checking/payment area. also, a bathroom that fits in with the overall style, changing areas (which may be small individual rooms or an area where groups can go to change), and finally, of course, some form of cubby system for people's 'stuff.'

i would not want a shop, really.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-24 8:30 AM (#62695 - in reply to #62663)

I'd like co-ed showers or a bath

no really, I'd like a shower after practice, no joke.

I'm not too interested in a Sauna, or a Hot tub, but a nice tiled community shower or bath house style wash would be nice for after practice.

Then a nice Coconut Oil rub down , yeah!

While I'm dreaming.....after the oil rub down a nice light meal might be good, something like mixed nuts and lime water or some fresh fruit.

Posted 2006-08-24 11:48 AM (#62696 - in reply to #62663)

there's a studio in redmond, wa called Sanctuary. This studio teaches heated baptist style yoga, bikram yoga, and non-heated ana forrest style yoga. They have a single shower in each changing room.

the bikram yoga studio in lancaster, which moved, closed, change names, whatever, had a shower in each bathroom.

i thought it was pretty nice, but when i priced it out myself, it was too much for me to invest.
tourist
Posted 2006-08-24 12:55 PM (#62699 - in reply to #62696)

Expert Yogi

Heated floors would be nice, but not compatible with wood, cork etc., I think. So I would go with a natural floor if at all possible. Indirect lighting, rope wall, huge prop storage space that is easily accessible, warm, inviting colours. Lot's o' changing space and cubbies/lockers....
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-24 2:11 PM (#62725 - in reply to #62663)

Maybe an eternal flame in the middle of the studio?

Fire, that would be cool, no hot but kewl

Posted 2006-08-24 2:18 PM (#62729 - in reply to #62663)

i wouldn't want to be doing hand stand too near though and fall into the fire. that would be seriously un-kewl.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-24 2:22 PM (#62732 - in reply to #62663)

well, maybe if it was an eternal flame coming out of the open hand of a 10 foot tall marble statue of Kali

Edited by SCThornley 2006-08-24 2:29 PM

(Kali small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Kali small.jpg (51KB - 138 downloads)

Posted 2006-08-24 3:47 PM (#62756 - in reply to #62663)

it would have to be a heckava big room to have a 10 ft tall statue of kali-ma with flames coming out of one or more of her hands.

but, i supposed it i were burned by her, it wouldn't be 'as bad.'
SCThornley
Posted 2006-08-24 4:42 PM (#62763 - in reply to #62756)

Hey,
if you're gonna dream

DREAM BIG,

right?
mishoga
Posted 2006-08-24 5:46 PM (#62771 - in reply to #62663)

Expert Yogi

OMG, my dream studio has deep Mahogany plank floors, on two walls, bronze mirrors, and on the mirrored walls, have deep burgundy and gold lame (how do ya spell that?) drapes swaging open in four foot partitions, Straight across on top of course. Up lighting in four corners of the room with small recessed lighting with dimmers.
The two other walls would be stippled with all the colors of the studio and some hand painted designs appropriate for a Yoga studio. Big, lush pillows matching colors of studio.
Storage on a Pocket door behind one wall to hold suppiles and music system.
Fans also on ceiling, the ones that are deep brown wicker.

Pretty specific, huh? One day this will become reality.
Mish
MrD
Posted 2006-08-24 8:21 PM (#62800 - in reply to #62663)

polouski - 2006-08-23 11:56 PM

Hello everyone,

I am new to yoga and its benefits, but loving every minute. This semester in my interior design coursework I am designing a yoga studio and may have the opportunity to help remodel the studio in which I practice. Would you be kind enough to tell my what, given your experience with your own practice and that of your students, would be the elements of your dream studio? Any input about great lighting ideas, color use, flooring, organizing equipment, etc. would be greatly appreciated and integrated into my design.

Many Thanks,
Beth

I think we need a little more input from you. What style of yoga does the studio practice? Do they have an area to remove shoes before you go into the room? Are they into Mediation, chanting etc, or are they a nuts and bolts place that likes to teach yoga without dogma? Would an altar be considered acceptable or just a waste of space? What will the tempatures of the room be? What's it's basic layout? How much natural lighting will there be?

polouski
Posted 2006-08-24 11:07 PM (#62817 - in reply to #62663)

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.

Mr. D, a spiritual aspect to the practice would definitely be acceptable. The studio in which I practice has small altar spaces with candles which I find calming and balancing. They also have a smaller studio used for hot yoga and svaroopa classes. I haven't tried either of those yet, as I'm just beginning.

Please feel free to share any ideas. It is wonderful to hear different perspectives!

Beth

Posted 2006-08-24 11:49 PM (#62825 - in reply to #62663)

I believe Zoebird is referring to vastu.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)