YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

YogaFit training
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

RCL
Posted 2006-08-26 1:07 PM (#62921)
Subject: YogaFit training

I've been studying yoga for over 9 years and finally have the time to do a teacher training. Though I'd love to go away for a month at Kripalu, the realities of family obligations and a job limit me to weekend programs. There are a few in my Tampa Bay area that sound OK though I question how well organized they are. However, I came across YogaFit and am wondering about the style of their training. Is it more of a health-club style yoga, or does it include the spiritual aspects also (very important to me). I'd love feed back. Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-08-26 1:17 PM (#62923 - in reply to #62921)
Subject: RE: YogaFit training

Expert Yogi

Welcome RCL - there have been many discussions on Yogafit here over the years. Do a quick search if you want to read more in depth. If you are looking for a strong spiritual aspect, I think it is safe to say YF is not for you. My own Iyengar training was done evenings, weekends and one week in the summer for about 4 years (it averages 3 - 5 yrs.). Different studios vary, of course. Good luck and let us know what you do in the end!

Posted 2006-08-26 2:01 PM (#62930 - in reply to #62921)

have you considered groups like White Lotus foundation (i think it's whitelotus.org)? they have a decent program.

yoga fit is not a spiritual program. in fact, it's completely stripped of spirituality.

Posted 2006-08-26 10:07 PM (#62944 - in reply to #62921)

RCL-

I agree with Tourist and Zoebird..you will not find the spirituality with Yogafit. I too, had taught before and needed to be recertified and took YogaFit so I could teach in the gym setting. If you want more info just PM me and I will give you more information about the program.

I am now in the process of my 200 hour training in Hatha yoga on the weekends in Austin. It is a 6 month intensive during the summer and you can extend your training however long you want. If I were you, I would look for a 200 hour RYT (Reg, Yoga Instructor) because you will get the training you are asking about. You will not regret it in the long run. YogaFit now can offer the RYT through Yoga Alliance, but I bet it $$ the same or more, but IMHO, you will get so much more from another source.

My training is through YogaYoga in Austin, Texas on Lamar Street. They might be able to help you find a similar program of even check into the places mentioned above by Tourist and Zoebird. Good luck!

I work a 40 hour week also and teach yoga and still have time to study when I can.

Edited by namaste2 2006-08-26 10:08 PM

Posted 2006-08-27 5:45 AM (#62951 - in reply to #62921)

For some, YF training is not even yoga.
I have not seen the manual for the training but I have spoken directly to someone who has. This person has over 40 years experience and does not have the slightest idea where the YF folks came up with the stuff in their manual.

Spirituality in a weekend?
Well that IS the fast track. Move over Kundalini.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-08-27 5:47 AM
RCL
Posted 2006-08-27 8:18 AM (#62958 - in reply to #62921)

Thanks to everyone who responded. You have saved me a lot of money and time! Namaste.
ollie
Posted 2006-08-27 3:42 PM (#62981 - in reply to #62944)

namaste2 - 2006-08-26 9:07 PM

My training is through YogaYoga in Austin, Texas on Lamar Street. They might be able to help you find a similar program of even check into the places mentioned above by Tourist and Zoebird. Good luck!

I work a 40 hour week also and teach yoga and still have time to study when I can.

Is this the YogaYoga in South Austin? I ask because I've gone there for a couple of classes; one was an Ashtanga class.

I live in Peoria, IL but visit Austin frequently, and the southern YogaYoga studio is a 1.5 mile walk away from where I stay.

YogaFit: I am not a teacher and can't say anything about it firsthand; this is where my current teacher got trained and she does a great job with beginners in a public park district setting.

But, much of what they learn is how to conduct a class in a matter which minimizes lawsuits; they draw some of their material from studies done by exercise councils and the like. The teachers that I've seen from there are the kind who teach gym caliber classes (e. g., pilates) who also teach a yoga class.

tourist
Posted 2006-08-27 8:49 PM (#62987 - in reply to #62981)

Expert Yogi

I have heard that many teachers who trained before certification was common will take YF because it is the quickest and cheapest way to get a "certification" that satisfies gym owners and insurers. So you may get an experienced and wise teacher who is working the system in the best way they can or you may get a person with one weekend of training. Caveat emptor, isn't it?
ollie
Posted 2006-08-27 10:40 PM (#62990 - in reply to #62987)

Yeah, things always come with a price. Having "McYoga" available draws more people to yoga; perhaps a few (like me?) really get into it and want to learn more.

But on the other hand, well, Tourist, we get what you describe. And we get, well, lots of "less than serious" students?

bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-08-28 5:17 PM (#63032 - in reply to #62921)

Where I am, it's a long ride to the one yoga studio available. We could never be sure of who the instructor would be, and most don't offer up corrections anyway. Maybe Yogafit would be an improvement.

Posted 2006-08-28 8:31 PM (#63057 - in reply to #62921)

wow! ouch!
mishoga
Posted 2006-08-29 5:38 PM (#63198 - in reply to #62921)

Expert Yogi

I just wanted to add this.
When I was going through my certification, there was another girl who worked this gym with me (different shifts). We would write little notes back and forth and eventually learned we were both on the path of yoga. She informed me she was doing her certifications through the internet. No hands on, practical work. Her final was a video taped session of a yoga class with students.
I never expressed my opinions but I have to say, to get your yoga cert that way seems like your cheating your students and yourself.

Just a thought.
This program wasn't YA approved either, but she already was lining up private clients. For all I know she might be here lurking or posting. If she is I hope she pursued some formal training with a mentor/guru, etc....

Mish

Posted 2006-08-29 6:39 PM (#63212 - in reply to #62921)

that sounds like the NESTA certification process.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-09-04 8:41 PM (#63597 - in reply to #62921)

Extreme Veteran

I've done several trainings with YogaFit. Please PM me if you'd like more info on my experiences with them.

ollie
Posted 2006-09-04 9:59 PM (#63608 - in reply to #63597)

Why don't you say something here as well? After all, there are some (like my teacher) who think that they do a good job, and I enjoy hearing different points of view.

After all, if we depended on serious Yogis for all of yoga teaching, then our park district would have never offered classes, and I never would have gotten a start.

sometimes the path to the studio starts at the gym or the local park district.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-04 11:35 PM (#63618 - in reply to #63608)

Expert Yogi

ollie - my certified Iyengar teacher taught through our local recreation centre for 20 years before we opened our studio a few years ago. So it is a corollary to your statement - excellent teachers may be teaching where you least expect it
ollie
Posted 2006-09-05 8:58 AM (#63635 - in reply to #63618)

tourist - 2006-09-04 10:35 PM

ollie - my certified Iyengat teacher taught through our local recreation centre for 20 years before we opened our studio a few years ago. So it is a corollary to your statement - excellent teachers may be teaching where you least expect it

And this begs the question: what is an excellent teacher?

Mine: she is great with beginners; her classes are always well attended and well recieved. People leave feeling good about themselves and looking for more.

And, those who teach beginners speak highly of her.

But: those who thirst for more even on the purely physical level (e. g., to learn to do headstand, hand balances, etc.) really need to look elsewhere. She is really more of a teacher than a yogi.

On the other hand we had a teacher in the system who had an excellent personal practice, and his level II classes were well attended. But he didn't get along with the other teachers; let's just say that he knew that he knew more about yoga than they did, and many people simply don't like unsolicited feedback, no matter how competent it is.

I'd attend his class but he moved away.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-05 10:09 AM (#63639 - in reply to #63635)

Expert Yogi

And then there is the issue of "fit" - whether or not you and uyour teacher are right for each other. I had a t'ai chi teacher who seemed very good but I never got that sense of connection with her that I look for in teachers. OTOH, I am still amazed that my first Iyengar teacher was somehow right for me. When I look at the relationship objectively (as much as I can) it doesn't add up somehow, and yet it did. We don't have an instant rapport or similar interests outside yoga. I just trust that it was meant to be for some reason that I cannot see yet
ollie
Posted 2006-09-05 11:21 AM (#63651 - in reply to #63639)

Yeah, my teacher and I get along great. In fact, every Tuesday and Thursday she picks me up to drive me to class, and we've done things like partner practice and cycling.

So even though we are now friends, she doesn't hesitate to point out mistakes that I make. And if it weren't for her, I'd still see yoga as a way to limber the hamstrings and something that stretchy women do.

Still I sometimes wish I had help with some of the more intermediate poses (e. g. handstand, peacock feather, crane) but for now it is just me, a wall, and my copy of Light on Yoga.

Posted 2006-09-06 2:59 AM (#63738 - in reply to #63651)

Hello Olie.

what I wonder about your practice/your teacher, is this seemingly consistent mention of "mistakes" and "bad" poses in your posts. Could you elaborate on these things? it might just be semantics.

Relative to begging the question of good yoga teachers....

it seems to depend on one's definition of "yoga".
For me a good teacher has to have expert knowledge, training, lineage, a thirst for continuing education, a personal practice, an understanding of the eight limbs, ability to moderate their voice, a sense of meter, an ability to give instruction that cannot be misinterpreted, a love for students, an understanding of therapeutics, anatomy, personal cleanliness, a safe touch, be doing their own work (the bigger picture), and come off their mat rather than sit upon their throne.

I think I could actually go on but this is prolly enough for this thread.

ollie - 2006-09-05 8:21 AM

Yeah, my teacher and I get along great. In fact, every Tuesday and Thursday she picks me up to drive me to class, and we've done things like partner practice and cycling.

So even though we are now friends, she doesn't hesitate to point out mistakes that I make. And if it weren't for her, I'd still see yoga as a way to limber the hamstrings and something that stretchy women do.

Still I sometimes wish I had help with some of the more intermediate poses (e. g. handstand, peacock feather, crane) but for now it is just me, a wall, and my copy of Light on Yoga.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-09-06 3:00 AM
ollie
Posted 2006-09-06 6:36 AM (#63745 - in reply to #62921)

"mistakes" and "bad" are my words. I've seen Birkham (on video) correct someone he said was making a "small mistake".

Here is an example: in warrior II, when my left leg is forward (the one with the bent knee), I sometimes lose concentration and let that leg sag in (as toward the front of the body).

I call that a "mistake".

In the foward folds, I used to round my back, and in the standing version, I tended to move my butt back behind my heels to make it easier. Those were "mistakes".

In triangle, I'd try to get too low (ego thing) and end up bending forward from the waist instead of bending sideways toward the front leg. That is where the word "terrible" was used.

I've seen this described as a "loss of intelligence" of the pose; I call it a mistake.

"Bad poses" vs. "good poses"?

well, when one can't tell if one is trying to do "plank" or "down dog", that is what I call "bad".

I know...not very yoga-ish.
Kym
Posted 2006-09-15 5:32 PM (#64517 - in reply to #62921)

My spirtuality comes from within. Yoga training had enhanced it, not defined it.

Hang on...I'm not a good speller and I need to get my YOGAFIT manual out to spell this correctly...Satya: Truthfulness...."Sharing knowledge with love and compassion and authenticity feels so much better than causing harm to others my making them wrong." YogaFit training manual Level 3, pg 40.

Why do people who have not taken YF training insist on tearing it down? I take YF training, and tho I do agree that no one is ready to teach after only taking Level 1, I do not agree at all with the general sentiment here.

After first coming here I was so freaked out by the negativity toward YF training that I began to doubt myself. I no longer feel that way and know that I'm a very good yoga teacher. Yes, I teach in a large gym, but I love it. I love bringing yoga to the masses. If someone asks me about a studio type enviroment, I recommend them to my favorite local studio. They are different experiences, and both are WONDERFUL. I can have a sensation of spirtuality that knocks my socks off in my gym. In fact, in some ways, that's more authentic to me b/c I really know that's coming from my heart and body, and not from the pale green walls and candles and sanskrit terminology in the studio. Don't get me wrong, I love to practice in studios and my home studio has pale green walls, & candles. But, if I can do yoga on a garbage barge and feel the universe, then I'm feeling good. I can teach yoga anywhere (and with my horrid YF training-gasp!) and make it count. So there!

Peace my friends.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-15 6:49 PM (#64525 - in reply to #64517)

Kym - 2006-09-15 5:32 PM

My spirtuality comes from within. Yoga training had enhanced it, not defined it.

Hang on...I'm not a good speller and I need to get my YOGAFIT manual out to spell this correctly...Satya: Truthfulness...."Sharing knowledge with love and compassion and authenticity feels so much better than causing harm to others my making them wrong." YogaFit training manual Level 3, pg 40.

Why do people who have not taken YF training insist on tearing it down? I take YF training, and tho I do agree that no one is ready to teach after only taking Level 1, I do not agree at all with the general sentiment here.

After first coming here I was so freaked out by the negativity toward YF training that I began to doubt myself. I no longer feel that way and know that I'm a very good yoga teacher. Yes, I teach in a large gym, but I love it. I love bringing yoga to the masses. If someone asks me about a studio type enviroment, I recommend them to my favorite local studio. They are different experiences, and both are WONDERFUL. I can have a sensation of spirtuality that knocks my socks off in my gym. In fact, in some ways, that's more authentic to me b/c I really know that's coming from my heart and body, and not from the pale green walls and candles and sanskrit terminology in the studio. Don't get me wrong, I love to practice in studios and my home studio has pale green walls, & candles. But, if I can do yoga on a garbage barge and feel the universe, then I'm feeling good. I can teach yoga anywhere (and with my horrid YF training-gasp!) and make it count. So there!

Peace my friends.

Kym: You said it wonderfully, except I would like to add a comment to that: If you as a good Yoga Teacher want to teach Yoga in a particular way, such as add meditation or chanting or nutrition, and then the gym asks to remove these elements, at least you have to reduce the Yogacity of the teaching. Correct?

It has not happened to me, but I know it happened with some. Others, any experiences?
tourist
Posted 2006-09-15 7:07 PM (#64527 - in reply to #64517)

Expert Yogi

Kym - YF is indeed changing (I have been told) their trainings to help create better teachers. But even you say that after one training nobody is going to be ready to teach. And if they know that and keep studying, fine. But if they go and teach anyway.... Two things got my back up about YF - one was that originally (and I have no idea if this is still true) anyone who had completed ONE weekend could carry on and become a teacher trainer. The second was the founder herself who came onto another board I was on and was very rude and nasty. Downright "unyogic" IMHO.

Well, I guess three things - how many weekends does it take to get Level 3? I am always the first to admit (and have done so in this very thread) that YF is a handy cheap way for good teachers without official certs to get insurance. But nobody can be a good teacher of anything starting from zero in 3 or even 10 weekends without training from some other source. I try and try to be diplomatic, but there is just no way around that as far as I can see.

I would never judge you or anyone else strictly by their YF cert but I would certainly check out their other credentials before going to a class.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-09-16 12:58 PM (#64562 - in reply to #64527)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for your post, Kym! I too am YogaFit trained (taking Level 3 in a couple of weeks) and I think their program is great. The trainers that I have had have been very knowledgable and well trained themselves. I live in the NYC metro area and have access to lots of different trainings but I have chosen to do my 200 hours w/YogaFit. I feel like it's the best fit for me. I think many trainings/schools of thought try to make yoga more complicated than it really is, which I feel is just a way of mystifying and setting apart. I think YogaFit does a good job of cutting through a lot of the BS and that there is a decided lack of the "more spiritual than thou" attitude that runs rampant in the yoga world and, frankly, on this board.

I'm kind of ashamed of myself because I didn't post on this thread until after you did. I just get really tired of defending myself and my training. I now realize that I should have stepped up sooner.

Despite what Tourist said in her post, I feel that lots of people on this board (maybe not tourist, but certainly lots of others) are very judgmental regarding a YogaFit cert. There's a lot of judgment flying around on this board. And other than what Tourist posted, I don't know details regarding the YogaFit founder rudely posting on another yoga board. However, if the tone of the thread was like most of the YogaFit threads here, she was probably way on the defensive. I'm not defending her if she was rude, but I can certainly understand her defensiveness, if that was the case.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)