YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Self realization?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

jermay88
Posted 2006-09-03 2:08 PM (#63536)
Subject: Self realization?

What does it mean when it states 'self realization'? Is it something to do with seeing the world as it is? Wouldnt this be more down the lines of meditation?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-03 7:25 PM (#63547 - in reply to #63536)
Subject: RE: Self realization?

Self Realization is some thing which can not be described using any material description such as the one with sight, smell, taste, touch or hearing. Therefore, it is described by negation, that is by what it is not. This creates a problem for a student of material science, which is predominent in the Western world, as to how to know what the Self Realization is. The answer to that question is: It comes only by experience. One's getting that experience can not imparted on another person except as the knowledge. For example, when I see New Jersy, I can video tape it and show it to another one who has not seen NJ. Not, the same with Self Realization.

One way to describe Self Realization, which is also a negation way is as follows:

when all other realization is not taking place, some thing is realized. And, that is the Self Realization. How do you know that it is true?

a) By trust in the one who has told so. That is another anomaly with Spirituality that the best proof in Spirituality is : What is told by Vedas .. called as Agama. Where as in material science, the best proof is: What is witnessed through perception..callled as Pratyaksha.

b) By experiencing that all perceptions received so far have not resulted in complete bliss. And, one really would like to have a complete bliss. Therefore, one is forced to trust that such a bliss is possible. And, then it is possible through something which is not perceived, called Self Realization.

In the words of the great sage Patanjali...

yogashchittavruttinirodhaH ... tadaa drashtusvaruupevasthaanam.. vruttisaarupyamitaratra...etc.

BestLuck

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-03 7:26 PM (#63548 - in reply to #63536)

Oops, missed one thing: Meditation is a process which leads to pacification of the mind, that is NON-perception of anything.. which results in Self Realization.
jermay88
Posted 2006-09-04 2:05 PM (#63572 - in reply to #63536)

Sorry, but I really didnt understand any of that
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-04 4:46 PM (#63581 - in reply to #63572)

jermay88 - 2006-09-04 2:05 PM

Sorry, but I really didnt understand any of that

Well, I should be the one to be sorry if you did not get it. Let me try again. Hoping that you are English speaking, the term ' Self Realization' has two words: Self, and Realization. First, one has to know what the Self means. And, then the Realization.

a) Self is called Atman, Jiva, Purusha, etc. in Sanskrit. What it means is as follows. If one tries to know one's own personality, nature, existence, or whatever. One finds body made up of flesh, bones, nerves, etc. All the body parts are accessible using one or more 5 senses of perception namely sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste. Then, one understands that there is something called Mind which is made up of memory, emotions, intellect, attention, etc. These can not be accessed using the 5 senses of perception.

When a person tries to obtain happiness using any of the Body and Mind parts, he/she realizes that the happiness thus obtained is limited and also transitory. For example, one can get happiness through intercourse, but only for a given time. And, the same can not be obtained after certain age. The one who wants to obtain a happiness which never dies, searches beyond. And, then hits upon either own experience (which is extremely rare, almost never) or statement of another who has obtained such happiness. This statement is called 'agama'. This statement states that there is a reality beyond Body and Mind, and any material world. This reality never changes, it is permanent. This reality pertaining to a person is called 'Self'.

b) Realization: Now, one who trusts the agama, performs a practice called Spiritual Practice, Paramartha, Saadhana, Yoga Practice, Meditation, etc. During this practice, mind is made totally focussed and then totally disfunctional. That means realization of all material things are removed. When that happens, the realization mentioned in the agama takes place. And, that is the Self Realization.

Thus, the nature of Self Realization is given by negation of all other things realized through senses.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-04 6:15 PM (#63588 - in reply to #63536)

Expert Yogi

jermay - meditation is one path toward self realisation. Asana and pranayama are important preparations for meditation. As Neel says, self realisation is not easily described in our feeble words. I am not sure I truly understand what it means myself. I am hoping that in the lifetime I am meant to find self realisation, I will at least be able to understand what it is properly
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-04 6:47 PM (#63591 - in reply to #63536)

if you close your eyes

and stay quiet long enough

you might start to recognize the thoughts that never seem to stop running in your mind

eventually you might be able to make your mind quiet

once that happens you will be recognizing what you really are

'cause you are not your thoughts or your body or your breath

there is something beyond all that.

good luck, learn as much as you can
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-04 6:49 PM (#63592 - in reply to #63536)

it's the quiet spaces between thoughts that you are looking to experience during your meditation

prepare well in yogasana and pranayama
bipinjoshi
Posted 2006-09-04 11:15 PM (#63617 - in reply to #63536)

jermay88 - 2006-09-03 1:08 PM

What does it mean when it states 'self realization'? Is it something to do with seeing the world as it is? Wouldnt this be more down the lines of meditation?

jermay88,
I would like to give you a simplified and simple explanation. Self realization means understanding the true nature of yours. We all are nothing but Bramhan. Because of the influence of Maya or cosmic delusion we have forgot this fact. We have forgot our true nature. Maya makes us believe that we are different from Him. Self realization is understanding this very truth that "I am Bramhan".

With the help of meditation you make your mind calm, stand still and once that happens Maya can no longer delude you. You then understand the true nature of yours. Thus Meditation is an effective way to achieve self realization.

Edited by bipinjoshi 2006-09-04 11:23 PM
deZengo
Posted 2006-12-06 12:48 PM (#71133 - in reply to #63536)

jermay88 - 2006-09-04 1:08 AM

There are as many definitions as there are people searching and experiencing "self-realization." For me, it was the slow connection I experienced between my mind and my body. The unity of the two. I saw a direct connection between putting hateful, angry, thoughts and images into my body and my diagnosis of cancer. I also see a connection of the fruitfullness when I put healthy, positive thoughts and images into my mind, body, spirit.

I totally agree, it is typically found when we stop thinking. When our own desires, thoughts can be put to the side. I started doing it with the application of breathing techniques. When my mind would start to sway and go back to solving some problem that exists in the wordly plain of existence -- I would stop myself. Go back to the breathing meditation. Counting the breath in, holding, counting the breath out. Then I began exploring other ways to accomplish this. Breath in and focus on: I am breathing in love, compassion, strenght -- whatever I needed. On my exhale, I focus on ridding my mind & body of all that is not pure. I am breathing out hatered, fear, anger, frustrations ...

Many times when I do Yoga, walk, or meditate I am rewarded in various ways. Getting to know "SELF" is the last frontier. When your mind is empty and I am not focused on the "daily" necessities, there appears to be a connection to something much older, wiser, more discerning than myself. I have recieved many answers before I even was made aware of the question, need.

I also feel it is when we realize that we are all part of the whole wonderous changes surround us. We are all human, thereby connected through the "human experience." All life is valued and important. Self Realization has many, many layers and depths--I think the important thing to remember is to open your heart, mind and spirit in a number of ways. Yoga really did help me to open the door that allows love to be channeled through.

Stay with it and do not get discouraged. The more you practice and work at "self" the more substantial the results!

Namaste
NeeNoon
Posted 2007-01-02 8:00 AM (#72632 - in reply to #63536)

I'm brand new here (and to yoga) and just wanted to say thank you to all for the input this is very interesting and a question I've been "juggling" with myself.

tourist
Posted 2007-01-02 10:32 AM (#72642 - in reply to #72632)

Expert Yogi

Hi NeeNoon and welcome
Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-12 4:07 AM (#73803 - in reply to #63536)

There are some great explanations in this thread. If I simplify it

self-realization is knowledge of one's true self. That cannot be taught .. It should be understood by himself though the process of improving once mind about reality of the universe and himself. Its understanding his own nature .. Uncertainty

You understand that man is the sole creator of his circumstances and his reaction to them, his future condition, and his final destiny. By right thought and action he can gradually purify his inner nature, and so by self-realization attain in time liberation from rebirth.

kristi
Posted 2007-01-14 5:39 PM (#74055 - in reply to #63536)

Veteran

I stand in tadasana. How are my feet? Ah! How is my torso? Ah! How is my neck, my face, my breath? What am I feeling? What are my thoughts? : Maybe one tiny, very simple, first step, first taste, of the looong and endless process of self realization...
kristi
Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-16 5:49 AM (#74237 - in reply to #74055)

Nice one Kristi
OptiMystic
Posted 2007-03-12 11:14 PM (#79941 - in reply to #63536)

I think I understand what Neel means by negation. I think (and hope) that there are two major shifts in perception on the spiritual journey, which I think of as awakening and enlightenment. Awakening is the unraveling of the fabric I thought was me. It's figuring out that I have been trying to map out a journey starting from a place I never really was to a place I always was. I don't know what enlightenment is but I think I know a few things it is not. I used to think it was understanding wihat it's all about, Now I think a word like understanding is completely out of context. Maybe all words are. It's really hard, but I am giving up on the knowing and working on the being or at least I am trying to. It can be really frustrating.
sktegta
Posted 2007-09-17 9:49 PM (#96419 - in reply to #63536)

Self realization is the process by which any human being can realize his real self. And what does this real self mean? It means that our soul (atman) within our body which is the real self within every being (and for that matter every living being) reaches the fag end of its cosmic life. The modern lifestyle is laden with stress; resulting in high blood pressure , hypertention, diabetese, cardiac prroblems etc. A slight rescheduling of daily routine will help in understanding the real self...... and live a stress free life with more performance and output.
More information is available at http//www.atmabodh.net
grasshopper
Posted 2007-09-18 4:07 PM (#96470 - in reply to #63536)

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the Matrix is. You have to see it for yourself. This is your last chance. After this there is no turning back. You take the blue pill, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes.... Remember, all I'm offering is the truth, nothing more.... Follow me....

~Morpheus

Posted 2007-09-18 4:50 PM (#96474 - in reply to #63536)

To me, self realization is a process, not a goal.

J Krishnamurti:

"Intelligence comes into being when the mind, the heart, and the body are really harmonious."

"Self-knowledge has no end – you don’t come to an achievement, you don’t come to a conclusion. It is an endless river. As one studies it, as one goes into it more and more, one finds peace."
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-18 9:52 PM (#96480 - in reply to #96474)

jimg - 2007-09-18 4:50 PM

To me, self realization is a process, not a goal.

J Krishnamurti:

"Intelligence comes into being when the mind, the heart, and the body are really harmonious."

"Self-knowledge has no end – you don’t come to an achievement, you don’t come to a conclusion. It is an endless river. As one studies it, as one goes into it more and more, one finds peace."

yes
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-09-18 10:33 PM (#96482 - in reply to #63536)

For me, Self Realization is a definite goal, and not a process. And, after Self Realization, there is nothing a person has to do in terms of realizing more. Also, I do not completley agree with J.Krishnamurthy's logic as I do not believe he was self realized. (Yes, he was a great thinker.) Unfortunately, I can not discuss it further. But, I still want to make my point.
Phil
Posted 2007-09-19 8:27 AM (#96495 - in reply to #96482)

If you think self realisation is a goal your mind has all ready set up a mental construction of what it think self realisation is.
Therefore your mind is blocking anything outside it's own experience.

SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-19 8:41 AM (#96496 - in reply to #63536)

I do believe that infinity is real, I would even go so far to say it is palpable

that is why I agree that self realization is a process, and journey, because I don't see myself as a finite entity cut off from the rest of reality, but a part of it all, and the more you see the more you realize how much more there is to see, your horizon grows and grows, eventually the sun never sets and the light shines through and through
SCThornley
Posted 2007-09-19 8:43 AM (#96497 - in reply to #63536)

forever
jonnie
Posted 2007-09-19 9:05 AM (#96501 - in reply to #63536)

I don't believe that self realisation is a process.

While there may be steps to achieving self realisation, at the end of the day you are either self realised or you're not. So for me, it's definately a goal.

Jonathon
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)