YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PREGNANCY YOGA
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

Tashi
Posted 2006-09-04 11:36 AM (#63553)
Subject: PREGNANCY YOGA

Hi,
I really need some advice!!

I teach Hatha and am in my first year, I teach basic level and really love it and the people who come to my sessions.

We did cover pregnancy yoga in our course and I have read a lot of books,
as I havent had the joy of falling pregnant myself yet I am unable to give first hand advice,
Do you think it is important?
Do you think it would be advisable to undertake in a pregnancy yoga teacher training?

I hope you can help
Thanks
NAMASTE
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-09-04 12:02 PM (#63560 - in reply to #63553)
Subject: RE: PREGNANCY YOGA

in your specific case, yes, it would be a good idea to take a specific teacher training in prenatal yoga. i recommend kripalu teacher training specificly. kripalu.com should lead you to more information.

i do not think it is necessary to have been pregnant to teach prenatal yoga. i teach a lot of pregnant women and i have not been pregnant myself. i haven't taken prenatal teacher training, because i apprenticed with a prenatal teacher here for about 3-4 months. that combined with my own studies and feedback from students lead to my confidence in teaching.

good luck to you!

Posted 2006-09-04 10:08 PM (#63609 - in reply to #63553)

I'm not sure I fully understand your question.

You write "do you think it is important" but your sentence before references "first hand advice".
If you are asking if first hand advice is important for your students that are pregnant then my reply would be that it's worthwhile for pregnant students to have a source of first hand advice but I don't think it's critical that the first hand advice comes from their yoga teacher (you). So you needn't get pregnant.

It seems that the job of a yoga teacher is to work with students of all sorts. Sometimes this means working with hip replacements, sometimes it's working with tight hamstrings, sometimes it's high blood pressure, other times it's depression, or anxiety, and it's also pregnancy (and menstration). So the teacher is to either have enough wisdom to provide safe yoga structure to pregnant students or enough sense to steer them to senior teachers ( or those prenataly trained).

Which brings us to your next point - prenatal teacher training.
Sure. It's great of you, responsible, thoughtful, admirable that you are considering additional training to serve these students more fully. Go for it. Some students seek out prenatal teachers, others stop their practice, and still others continue their previous practice during pregnancy. Each of these is a sub topic that soulc spn off it's own thread. But you can most certainly do a prenatal training. It would be very lovely of you.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-09-04 10:11 PM
Tashi
Posted 2006-09-05 7:55 AM (#63629 - in reply to #63553)

Thank you for your advise.
OM

Posted 2006-09-06 3:10 AM (#63741 - in reply to #63629)

Om back at ya
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)