YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

yoga/fitness/cardio advise
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

anna c
Posted 2006-09-05 6:19 AM (#63625)
Subject: yoga/fitness/cardio advise

i am trying to reorganize my work-out schedule in a more efficient way.

thus far i do six to twelve horus per week (depending on my energy level), including the following:

2-3 times a week 30-40 minutes of ashtanga style sun salutations, added with some improvized flowyoga moves.

2-3 times a week 1 hour of weight lifting and abs

2-3 times a week 50 minutes of interval at bike in gym

2-3 times a week 1 hour of more gentle yoga

Apart from the above, I walk every day at least an hour.

If anybody could give me his/her opinion on how to combine the above in the most effcient way, I'd be grateful. (e.g. what's best to do on the same day, and in which order)

Also, I am especially wondering whether I can leave out the bike cardio, and instead do 4 times of 40 minutes of sun salutations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-09-05 8:46 AM (#63634 - in reply to #63625)
Subject: RE: yoga/fitness/cardio advise

you can do whatever you want. if you want to cut out the biking in favor of more yoga, then do so and see how you feel.

i would do weights with gentle yoga, walking with vinyasa/astanga yoga.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-05 10:12 AM (#63640 - in reply to #63634)

Expert Yogi

I usually suggest that people leave yoga out of their "exercise routine" and do it for reasons other than fitness. It helps you go to your mat with a better attitude. Just a thought
anna c
Posted 2006-09-05 10:32 AM (#63644 - in reply to #63640)

tourist - 2006-09-05 10:12 AM

I usually suggest that people leave yoga out of their "exercise routine" and do it for reasons other than fitness. It helps you go to your mat with a better attitude. Just a thought

what can i say. yoga is more than fitness for me, but one cannot deny that asanas are of physical nature and hence if one practises asanas they are automatically part of one's exercise routine...AND they are more than that. but my question regards just the physical aspect.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-05 1:38 PM (#63666 - in reply to #63625)

anna c - 2006-09-05 6:19 AM

i am trying to reorganize my work-out schedule in a more efficient way.

thus far i do six to twelve horus per week (depending on my energy level), including the following:

2-3 times a week 30-40 minutes of ashtanga style sun salutations, added with some improvized flowyoga moves.

2-3 times a week 1 hour of weight lifting and abs

2-3 times a week 50 minutes of interval at bike in gym

2-3 times a week 1 hour of more gentle yoga

Apart from the above, I walk every day at least an hour.

If anybody could give me his/her opinion on how to combine the above in the most effcient way, I'd be grateful. (e.g. what's best to do on the same day, and in which order)

Also, I am especially wondering whether I can leave out the bike cardio, and instead do 4 times of 40 minutes of sun salutations.

Dear Anna: There is NO specific way to make your routine most efficient. What I suggest is you try out one routine for say 3 months, then another one for 3 months, etc. And, you shall arrive at an optimal solution.

best luck
anna c
Posted 2006-09-07 5:08 AM (#63860 - in reply to #63625)

thank you all i guess i'll just let it unfold organically, not prepalnning but seeing each time again what my body feels like

Posted 2006-09-08 2:15 PM (#64038 - in reply to #63644)

With that definition weeding the garden is also exercise. As is walking the trash can to the street and unloading the dishwasher. The fact that the physical body has locomotion does not define exercise.

If you consider asana to be exercise, so be it. If you consider yoga to be exercise, so be it. If you consider asana to be yoga, so be it.

The purpose of asana (as I see it) is to heal the physical body for higher aspiration. Some schools of yoga believe you must heal the physical body first while others take the opposite view.

anna c - 2006-09-05 7:32 AM

tourist - 2006-09-05 10:12 AM

what can i say. yoga is more than fitness for me, but one cannot deny that asanas are of physical nature and hence if one practises asanas they are automatically part of one's exercise routine...AND they are more than that. but my question regards just the physical aspect.
Miabella704
Posted 2006-09-09 10:52 AM (#64096 - in reply to #63625)

Good to know I'm not the only person who analyzes this to death!

I'm finding that going to the gym for weight lifting and cardio three times a week and practicing flow/ashtanga yoga the other four days works great for me.
MidPack
Posted 2006-09-13 9:28 PM (#64408 - in reply to #63625)

Wow, there are some suggestions that you might want to consider. Recovery time is an integral part of effective weightlifting. Unless your lifting is light weight/high rep work, most programs suggest that you not lift more often than every other day to allow your muscles to recover (this is when you actually build muscle, not while lifting). FWIW, I lift every other morning before work and do cardio on alternate mornings. However, on lifting days I will often do additional cardio or yoga (once maybe twice a week for yoga) in the evening after work. I also ride my bike to work (18 miles) once or twice a week, another way to work some exercise in. And I usually take one day off every week in which I do nothing, just to regenerate, some folks recommend it but it's not essential. You've got a lot to schedule for yourself, best of luck.

Edited by MidPack 2006-09-13 9:30 PM
Cparkinson
Posted 2008-12-15 1:39 PM (#112357 - in reply to #63625)

Cardio is a very important part of any fitness program. It strengthens you heart and vascular system as well cardio workouts are proven to keep you metabolism revved up. If you're not enjoying the stationary bike you should find a cardio workout you do enjoy. Water aerobics is a gas. Try finding a friend to do your cardio workout with that will make the time pass enjoyably.
Good luck
Linda
Yandara offering yoga teacher training and certification.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)