YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buddhist or similar music
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Yogui-bubu
Posted 2006-09-11 3:26 PM (#64244)
Subject: Buddhist or similar music

Dear Friends,

In a class of Hatha Yoga (that was my begining, but with the problem that was for old people) the teacher put a song that was only like a mantra and sometimes chimes, and surprising sounds that make me stay alert. I don't know what kind of music is this. I've tried to find it, but there's "new age" music that is not what I'm looking for.

It's like a whisper, and inesperate gongs. Any idea?

Thanks. Namaste.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-11 6:56 PM (#64265 - in reply to #64244)
Subject: RE: Buddhist or similar music

Expert Yogi

I have a Steven Halpern CD that sounds like this. It's a Crystal Bowl Healing CD.

Also, I would venture to say that anything with Tibetan Singing Bowls would be up your ally. Good luck. Snow Lion Publications has a great selection of Tibetan Buddhist CD's. You should contact them, they are online. Most of the customer service people at Snow Lion are quite knowledgeable about their products as well. Perhaps you could explain exactly what you are looking for to them. There's a little Tibetan Buddhist shop in Manhattan that also carries quite a selection of items such as this...I just can't think of their name, but Richard Gere is very much associated with their organization and temple.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-11 10:49 PM (#64287 - in reply to #64244)

Yogui-bubu - 2006-09-11 3:26 PM

Dear Friends,

In a class of Hatha Yoga (that was my begining, but with the problem that was for old people) the teacher put a song that was only like a mantra and sometimes chimes, and surprising sounds that make me stay alert. I don't know what kind of music is this. I've tried to find it, but there's "new age" music that is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks. Namaste.

Why not look at the audio that teacher played, and also ask the teacher where they got and so on.
Yogui-bubu
Posted 2006-09-12 4:59 AM (#64298 - in reply to #64287)

kulkarnn - 2006-09-12 4:49 AM

Yogui-bubu - 2006-09-11 3:26 PM

Dear Friends,

Thanks. Namaste.

Why not look at the audio that teacher played, and also ask the teacher where they got and so on.

I thinked it, but it was a COPY, not an original , and it was writted out like "Tibetan Music".

Namaste.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-12 11:09 AM (#64308 - in reply to #64244)

If it was written 'Tibetan Music',

a) you can search on this on the net.
b) and, I shall also find more info for you, since I have a Yoga friend who is associated with Tibet.
c) I think Cyndi shall be able to get you this too.

Best Luck
Modus.Ponens
Posted 2006-09-13 11:21 PM (#64412 - in reply to #64244)

I would guess it's a sadhana, in the tibetan buddhist sense. A sadhana in this context is a chant which has some pratical efect on you and suposedly on others. You can see an example here:

http://www.fpmt-osel.org/meditate/medicine.htm

Maybe another member can give you a better explanation since tibetan buddhism is not my area for a few years now.

Peace
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-14 11:49 PM (#64482 - in reply to #64412)

Expert Yogi

I doubt it is a Sadhana...usually the Traditional Tibetan Chanting and Sadhana's are very fast paced and with their deep voices. It's a continuous chanting that can go on for hours and hours. Believe me, I used to sit in the temple and do them and there are so many different variations and versions.

There are so many different kinds of Tibetan Singing Bowl CD's out there on the market. Most of which were composed by American enthusiasts of Tibetan Buddhism and some are actually done by Tibetans and Tibetan monks for meditation purposes and to make money for Freedom in Tibet - do a search on Free Tibet if you want to learn more about their situation. There are also some Japanese and Zen version CD's of similar sounds as well. Personally, I like all of Ngawang Khechog's music and for a Japanese version, I like Kitaro's Sacred Journey of Ku Kai's series. IF you really want something with stability and meditation, Neelbhai's Nancy has a wonderful CD of her playing the Cello - Indian Classical Music.

Again, for Tibetan music and such, I think your best bet is to start with Snow Lion Publications...at least they are going to be selling authentic items and as I mentioned, their customer service are really knowledgable about their dharma items...at least they used to be not too long ago. I get their quarterly publication and they have a vast selection of items.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)