YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chilled after teaching?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

tourist
Posted 2006-09-14 10:34 AM (#64439)
Subject: Chilled after teaching?

Expert Yogi

So does anyone else find that after teaching they feel very chilled? My Wed. night includes teaching 6 - 9 pm, after which I usually get some groceries then come home and just relax on the couch with Mr. Tourist for half an hour or so. I find that I often feel very chilled and have to warm up thoroughly just to get moving and get to bed. Thank goodness for the hot tub! My theory is that I naturally need to cool down after being "warmed up" from teaching as well as the fact that it is late (for me) and my body is getting ready to hibernate for the night. Any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-14 12:17 PM (#64444 - in reply to #64439)
Subject: RE: Chilled after teaching?

tourist - 2006-09-14 10:34 AM

So does anyone else find that after teaching they feel very chilled? My Wed. night includes teaching 6 - 9 pm, after which I usually get some groceries then come home and just relax on the couch with Mr. Tourist for half an hour or so. I find that I often feel very chilled and have to warm up thoroughly just to get moving and get to bed. Thank goodness for the hot tub! My theory is that I naturally need to cool down after being "warmed up" from teaching as well as the fact that it is late (for me) and my body is getting ready to hibernate for the night. Any thoughts?

I can not understand the last statements starting with 'my theory...'.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-09-14 3:05 PM (#64451 - in reply to #64439)

It's the natural state of the body to maintain homostatis, that is to say everything operating the same way. So it doesn't seem natural for it to fluctuate in temperature like you're suggesting. Even when people get "chills" the actual physical temperature of the body varies very little, since the slightest change is often enough to cause damage to the sensitive organs of the body. Thus when people have a temperature about 5 degrees above normal, they die, same thing in the opposite direction.

I would pay attention to make sure this only happens after teaching. You also might try cutting out the hot tub for a day or two. Or try some other clothes. Honestly, I don't know.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-09-14 4:16 PM (#64458 - in reply to #64439)

Hi Tourist,

I get cold most yoga classes where I sweat and then go into an air conditioned room. I imagine it's getting condisderably cooler in Canada, especially in the evenings. The pores are open and easily "attacked" by wind-cold. (That's from a very old Chinese book, Shang Han Lun)

What else could it be? Maybe a shift in your thyroid? This is getting personal, but depending on your age and menstrual cycle and all the fun that brings, your internal chemistry set could be going through an adjustment.

Are you feeling especially fatigued concomitanly with the chills?

tourist
Posted 2006-09-14 6:58 PM (#64463 - in reply to #64444)

Expert Yogi

Neel - I was just proposing my own theory as to why this happens. I do tend to be a cold bodied person already, though warmer since practicing yoga. I don't get such terribly cold feet or hands like I used to. I have always noticed that if I sit still for a long time, especially in the evening, I tend to get cool. This just seems to be a slightly accelerated version. I am very careful to put a sweater on while the class is in savasana, even if I still feel nice and warm so I don't get chilled. I don't often actually perspire while teaching, although I do demo quite a bit, it is not constant. It is not something that is a big problem, I just wondered if it was just my weird little quirk or if others found the same thing. And fifi I am NOT giving up my hot tub! It is not something I ever would have dreamed I could own but it came with the house and since we have had it, I cannot imagine living without it
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-09-14 9:01 PM (#64467 - in reply to #64439)

Goodness! I don't think you should give up your hot tub, especially since the nights are getting longer (and colder).

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-14 11:00 PM (#64480 - in reply to #64463)

tourist - 2006-09-14 6:58 PM

Neel - I was just proposing my own theory as to why this happens. I do tend to be a cold bodied person already, though warmer since practicing yoga. I don't get such terribly cold feet or hands like I used to. I have always noticed that if I sit still for a long time, especially in the evening, I tend to get cool. This just seems to be a slightly accelerated version. I am very careful to put a sweater on while the class is in savasana, even if I still feel nice and warm so I don't get chilled. I don't often actually perspire while teaching, although I do demo quite a bit, it is not constant. It is not something that is a big problem, I just wondered if it was just my weird little quirk or if others found the same thing. And fifi I am NOT giving up my hot tub! It is not something I ever would have dreamed I could own but it came with the house and since we have had it, I cannot imagine living without it

That means you are a cool person! If that is happening regularly for a prolonged period, that is how you are and nothing needs to be done except wearing warm clothes. As for Hot Tub, I am against it on regular basis. Actually, if you are doing it regularly, that can be the reason for being a cool person.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-15 12:12 AM (#64485 - in reply to #64480)

Expert Yogi

I really am a cool person And we don't keep our tub too warm - more like a good warm bath. It just saves heatng the water every night

Tonight I noticed it quite a bit since the weather is getting colder. I had my studio nice and warm for class but came up into the main house that is cooler (we still have windows open so it is not cold, but cooler. I got chilly very quickly, so now I am bundled up and warm again
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-15 10:17 AM (#64496 - in reply to #64485)

Expert Yogi

Hey Tourist,

Several years ago I had to give up my outdoor hot tub...it was making me sick going from hot to cold and cold to hot very quickly. My body couldn't handle it along with everything else it has to handle.

BUT.... I sure do miss those evenings out in the snow, full moon, under the stars, glass of wine in hand....I even white knuckled it for several months just because I loved my HOT TUB!! Anyway, I'm re-doing my bathroom and I'm thinking about an indoor Hot Tub with glass windows and possibly glass ceilings so that I can enjoy the moon, the snow, the stars...inside. And...since I recently found out that I can possibly enjoy wine again, Frey makes a wonderful organic wine with no added or detectable sulfites...I can enjoy my HOT Bath again,

I think this must be every woman's favorite thing to do. One of my friends from Florida used to come up to my house and run a bath so hot. I don't see how she stayed in it but she did for an hour!! I think the Hot Tub and Hot Bath thing also has alot to do with the individual and their body's constitution. When I feel a cold coming on, I immediately get into a Hot Bath with Essential Oils of Eucalyptus, Lemon and Peppermint, those are purifying EO's and is one of my favorite remedy's, but it's also one remedy that has to be caught just in time, only a small window of opportunity there. I want to raise my body's temperature at that point because it I need it to sweat and warm up. Ginger tea is good for that too, so is my Chinese Chicken Soup recipe.

Satyam freaks out when I take my baths. He takes cold and very lukewarm showers (I call it lukecold), his parents taught him that and in Nepal their baths are outdoors. He refuses to sit in a hot tub or bath,
mishoga
Posted 2006-09-15 2:45 PM (#64507 - in reply to #64480)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-09-14 11:00 PM

tourist - 2006-09-14 6:58 PM

That means you are a cool person! If that is happening regularly for a prolonged period, that is how you are and nothing needs to be done except wearing warm clothes. As for Hot Tub, I am against it on regular basis. Actually, if you are doing it regularly, that can be the reason for being a cool person.

Neel, I am a cool person. The slightest temperature change in my body can chill me. And I don't use a hot tub. I wish I was warmer. I have to layer up, sometimes in summer too.

Tourist, I am cold like that on nights I teach. I can't seem to fully warm under the blankets either.

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-09-15 2:46 PM
tourist
Posted 2006-09-15 7:16 PM (#64528 - in reply to #64507)

Expert Yogi

mish - get a hot tub. You will love it!

Cyndi - in our last house we had a deeper tub put in when we renovated and that was very nice, too. One of the best aspects of the big tub is that it is family time when the kids are home. Sitting in the dark under the stars, we got to hear a lot about our kids lives when they were teens that they probably never would have talked about in other circumstances I wish I could have a glass of wine. One or two sips is a special treat. A glass of wine and a bubble bath - you are right - a woman's best friend!!

The more I think about this whole thing, the more I want to examine other times I am out and doing things and how I feel when I sit still afterwards. We have a dance practice tonight, which is more exertion than most teaching nights, but I will observe and see what happens to my thermostat tonight. Scientific results tomorrow for those who care
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-16 9:02 AM (#64549 - in reply to #64439)

Tourist, We care.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-16 10:05 AM (#64556 - in reply to #64549)

Expert Yogi

So we went to dance. I did get warmer than when I teach and we have a much longer drive home (30 min compared to less than 10) and I did not get the same feeling of being deepy chilled, even though I ate ice cream right away when we got home. Fascinating phenomenon!

Posted 2006-09-16 10:40 PM (#64586 - in reply to #64439)

Glenda do you adjust/assist students in your class? Are you touching the students?
If so, in what ways are you caretaking your energy?
Are you washing hands and feet after teachhing and/or showering?
I ask this litany of questions because I suspect this is an energetic issue rather. It might also include the shift of your nervous system from sympathetic to para-sympathetic, though I'd have to know a bit more about the above and the way in which you close your classes.

tourist
Posted 2006-09-17 1:10 PM (#64614 - in reply to #64586)

Expert Yogi

purna - yes, I am moving towards that sort of thinking myself. We were out dancing last night and inspite of getting VERY warm (did you know you can work up a sweat doing a nice, gentle waltz? ) I did not have that chilled sensation afterwards. I think it does have to do with the "outflow" of energy compared to the inward energy of dancing. Yes, I think most people would believe dancing was sending energy "out" but it is mostly internal work of remembering steps and patterns plus a very synergistic relationship with the partner. Especially the woman's part is about tuning in to the slightest suggestion of movement of her partner and really attempting to be intuitive enough to dance "as one" while still retaining her own steps etc. A great deal is following but there are many counter moves and dynamic tensions created within the energy bubble of the couple.

Yeah, so there is today's lecture on ballroom dance But teaching is a whole other ballgame, relating to individuals and to a group, taking what is internalized and translating and conveying it outward. Of course the teacher is nourished and gains from each class, but the act of outputting so much could certainly create a net loss, at least in the short term. Wed. night are particularly that way, both because I teach back to back classes and also because they are Level I then Level II. There is a big disparity in the way I have to teach and the energy output has to be modulated appropriately.

The end result is not especially "bad" as I feel it - more like a deep, satisfied tiredness, at least when things are going well. The hot tub before bed not only warms me up but as you say, serves as a ritual energy cleansing, I think. When I am out in the dark under the stars I get a time of reflection and let go the energies of the class and physically prepare to move on to the next phase of my week. I definitely mentally break my week up that way - pre-Wed. night teaching and post. Wed. night teaching.

Also, I have long thought of myself as an extrovert because I talk a lot and seek out stimulating social situations. Over the past 15 or so years however, I have discovered I am an introvert in extrovert's clothing. I need a ton of time alone, especially to recover from too much time being "on." I discovered I hate people greeting and talking to me on my way into work because I was hoarding that time to myself until I was officially "on the clock." Can you imagine my dismay to find I didn't want to even say hello to a little kid until I was going to get paid for it? And you are pretty much the only people I will talk to before 8 am. Mr. Tourist gets a "coffee's ready" at 7:30 - if he is lucky

All very interesting. I am going to take a moment or two more between classes - I usually just pop out to the washroom so yes, I do wash my hands! I think we do incorporate these energetic breaks intuitively. But I am going to pause a bit longer and see how that works. Thanks for the questions and ideas everyone!
GreenJello
Posted 2006-09-17 10:56 PM (#64648 - in reply to #64614)

tourist - 2006-09-17 1:10 PM
purna - yes, I am moving towards that sort of thinking myself.

Yeah, that was my thinking too. A lot of hot/cold sensations are energic/psychological rather than physilogical.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-09-18 8:57 AM (#64665 - in reply to #64614)

tourist - 2006-09-17 1:10 PM
Also, I have long thought of myself as an extrovert because I talk a lot and seek out stimulating social situations. Over the past 15 or so years however, I have discovered I am an introvert in extrovert's clothing.

I wonder about this with myself as well. FWIW, cincy seems to be a pretty introverted town, so I find myself acting very introverted while I'm here. I was a lot more extroverted when I was in cali, but I still spent a lot of time alone. (I actually know a ton of people in cincy, while almost nobody in cali).

I also think the whole introverted, extroverted thing is very misunderstood. My understanding is the original definition was just that introverts gained thier energy from solitude, extroverts from other people (probably introverts). There also seems to be some stigma with being too solitary, which also rubs off on people's stereotypes of introverts. FWIW, there are a lot of introverts in very social situations. For example, my father and mother are both fairly introverted, but they also both were teachers for a number of years.

Anyway, I've got an interesting book I've been meaning to read for a while called "The Introvert Advantage". The aim of the book is to discuss what it really means to be an introvert and some of the "real" traits of introversion, while attempting to dispell the myths. Haven't read it yet, but the parts I've skimmed have been pretty good.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-18 10:04 AM (#64674 - in reply to #64665)

Expert Yogi

Yes GJ, it was that definition that made me examine the thinking I had about myself. I was loving the volunteer work I was doing at the time - lots of meetings with moms and babies, lots of high energy levels and lots of fun. When I noticed I needed so much recovery time and time alone to regroup after such business, I started to redefine my idea of myself. I am still social and talkative, but I'm more aware of the mental and energetic cost.
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-18 10:26 AM (#64682 - in reply to #64439)

Hi Tourist, maybe once you get home tired and chilled you should have Mr. Tourist spin you through a waltz, or maybe even a foxtrot?
mishoga
Posted 2006-09-18 5:55 PM (#64701 - in reply to #64674)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2006-09-18 10:04 AM

Yes GJ, it was that definition that made me examine the thinking I had about myself. I was loving the volunteer work I was doing at the time - lots of meetings with moms and babies, lots of high energy levels and lots of fun. When I noticed I needed so much recovery time and time alone to regroup after such business, I started to redefine my idea of myself. I am still social and talkative, but I'm more aware of the mental and energetic cost.

OMG, tourist I can so relate to this. I'm still trying to find balance within my professional and personal needs to stay emotionally and physically well.
Have you found it?

Mish
tourist
Posted 2006-09-18 7:09 PM (#64706 - in reply to #64701)

Expert Yogi

Mish - I think I am getting better and better at it. Anytime there is a need to be on the go constantly for any length of time, I take a long time to recharge and be home a lot. It actually helps that my day job is one where, although I am with small children, which is challenging and tiring, I am not with adults for the greater part of the work day. Some teachers find it isolating, but the rare time I have to work in the main house with the whole group I get absolutely bowled over by all their energy. Having my own kids pretty much out of the house (we have one floating in and out - mostly out at present) has also been a huge help! I love them and miss them when they are not here but a quiet house is sooooo nice sometimes

One tough thing is knowing when to say "no" to yoga stuff. We have a big and busy community here and constantly have workshops, meetings, assessments etc. and I have to be really, really clear with myself and my teachers about how much is too much.

Dancing to warm up sounds nice - might keep me awake, though. It would certainly shift the mental gears
GreenJello
Posted 2006-09-18 9:03 PM (#64712 - in reply to #64706)

tourist - 2006-09-18 7:09 PM
One tough thing is knowing when to say "no" to yoga stuff. We have a big and busy community here and constantly have workshops, meetings, assessments etc. and I have to be really, really clear with myself and my teachers about how much is too much.

I'm finding myself in a similar situation. I feel like I haven't asked anybody to do anything in months, and I keep finding myself with a full social calender. I really hate turning people down, but I'm finding myself doing it more and more, which is odd to me, since I'm used to being fairly isolated, and bored....

FWIW, I've pretty much always figured you for a introvert Glenda, I'm actually a little surprised there was any doubt.

I'd also say that yoga very attractive to introverts, which is probably the reason I find it so hard to talk to some people in the studio. I've got a couple I talk to on a fairly regular basis, but I've had to work over the years to get to know even them.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-18 11:44 PM (#64728 - in reply to #64712)

Expert Yogi

GreenJello - 2006-09-18 6:03 PM
FWIW, I've pretty much always figured you for a introvert Glenda, I'm actually a little surprised there was any doubt.

Seriously? Just because I spend half of my life online? Really - what made you think that?
mishoga
Posted 2006-09-19 8:40 AM (#64747 - in reply to #64439)

Expert Yogi

Ahhahahahahahaha..........Glenda, you are funny!

Mish
GreenJello
Posted 2006-09-19 11:18 PM (#64814 - in reply to #64728)

tourist - 2006-09-18 11:44 PM

Seriously? Just because I spend half of my life online? Really - what made you think that?

Nah, that's not it, it's the secret Mark of the Introvert I spotted in your last avatar.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)