YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

how long do you...
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogabrian
Posted 2006-09-19 11:49 AM (#64764)
Subject: how long do you...

Train directly with your teacher? With all the trends of teacher training I was just curious how long you all spend being trained AS TEACHER by your instructor.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
mishoga
Posted 2006-09-19 11:58 AM (#64765 - in reply to #64764)
Subject: RE: how long do you...

Expert Yogi

Through my cert process, a year. I practiced kundalini for a year and asthanga for 5 years (on and off, long travel distance to travel to my teacher). Power for a few months, hatha through all years practicing yoga, some kripalu instruction, etc.... and many fusion classes
As far as incorporating techniques from a workshop, well I wouldn't teach under a two hour workshop but I have a dance background and what I want to bring into the class is really just movement that comes from within. Anyone who knows me is well aware I love to dance and move and this just feels so right. There was really no alignment or specific technique in this workshop.

And you???

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-09-19 12:00 PM

Posted 2006-09-19 3:13 PM (#64787 - in reply to #64764)

i didn't do a training like the ones being taught now. in this area, the average is 3 months (no previous experience required), though some are a year.

my training was with 3 teachers over 5 years--one for 5 years, one for 4, and one for 2. then, i studed with another teacher (i moved) for 3 years.

currently, i'm 'between teachers'--both my my teachers are in NY--and i try to see them at least 3 times a year, though i would prefer to see them each month.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-19 8:14 PM (#64802 - in reply to #64787)

Expert Yogi

I trained "officially" for 4 years, but Iyengar training continues forever. Any time I am in a class with a teacher senior to me I am being trained. There is a strong expectation in my area of continuing to prepare for higher levels of assessment, which I will do eventually.

Posted 2006-09-19 8:25 PM (#64804 - in reply to #64764)

It REALLY depends on the term "training".
For example I took a week long training back in 2000 in a power vinyasa style. And for that I received a level one cert and began teaching. So I only studied with that teacher for a week. Imagine.

Three years ago I started taking classes with my current teacher and attending a once a month ongoing teacher training lasting 2.5 hours per session. In addition I took two week long trainings, all the while continuing to take classes. Now I am taking a 2000 hour two-year curriculum with the same teacher. So I guess I've been studying with this teacher for three years.
yogabrian
Posted 2006-09-19 11:27 PM (#64815 - in reply to #64764)

I guess, I mean how long di you study under your teacher as one who is developing into an instructor.

The reason I ask is that I keep getting application and the resumes seem heavy in many different 200 hour trainings rather then say a 2000 hour at 1 school. Just found it odd.

Mish,

Personally, my yoga training was 4.5 years with one person. I also was trained a little different then some of my classmates. I stuck around, so I learned more of what my teacher had to offer.

My Kung fu training however has been with the same teacher for nearly 13 years.
pamela
Posted 2006-09-20 10:03 AM (#64838 - in reply to #64815)

Hi Brian,

My 500 hour Viniyoga teacher training was spread out over 2 years, which included a prerequisite workshop or class with the teacher followed by four 2-week on-site training sessions twice a year (with lots of home study between sessions).

I'm continuing my studies with my teacher... training as a yoga therapist - another 1.5 years including three 2-week intensives.

And I continue to revisit my class notes and recordings, my teacher's books, and his teacher's books for new insight and inspiration. I also look outside the teaching lineage for inspiration, too.

I'm lucky because I found a tradition with plenty of room for me to grow, and it "resonates" with me. Maybe some of the others (with the multiple 200-hour trainings) are still searching...

(Once upon a time I took the first two YogaFit teacher trainings - an interesting introduction to teaching, but certainly not the depth I was looking for to make a real go of teaching)

I've spoken to one yoga teacher who has studied under 3 teachers and says only one gave her much that was useful.

Pamela
free yoga audio email course - "7 Ancient Yoga Secrets for Modern Healing"
Cairns Yoga

Posted 2006-09-20 12:28 PM (#64858 - in reply to #64815)

Kinda diluted right? What we used to call Spodie Odie in college. Everyone brings a bottle and pours it in a huge bowl. And that's the evening's beverage. Seemed like a good idea at the time LOL.

But I'd find several different trainings **** confusing. I've got a student now who's taken classes with several different teachers and if one more teacher adjusts Adho Mukha I think she's going to have a real melt down.

I've thought a lot about how teachers should be hired, or rather how I would hire them and that sort of thing, random trainings here and there, would concern me a bit. No I would not automatically rule a sound teacher out for that but I'd look VERY carefully.

yogabrian - 2006-09-19 8:27 PM

I guess, I mean how long di you study under your teacher as one who is developing into an instructor.

The reason I ask is that I keep getting application and the resumes seem heavy in many different 200 hour trainings rather then say a 2000 hour at 1 school. Just found it odd.

Mish,

Personally, my yoga training was 4.5 years with one person. I also was trained a little different then some of my classmates. I stuck around, so I learned more of what my teacher had to offer.

My Kung fu training however has been with the same teacher for nearly 13 years.
yogabrian
Posted 2006-09-20 8:45 PM (#64901 - in reply to #64764)

Call me old fashioned, but I think i would tend to hire the instructor who had experience AND had one primary teacher for long time rather then one who do many trainings.

I think it shows character, stability, consistency and determination. I find myself becoming a snob when I hear:

* completed 4 hour workshops of teacher b, teacher b, teacher c
* 200 hour certified teacher x
* 200 hour certified teacher b
* have taken extensive intensive training in adjustments from blah, blah, blah

As an employer, this makes mean yawn. I want people who tend to stay in one place for many years and have experience in their method.

I would be more inclined to give a class to some with something that said:

*500 hour level certified through teacher A
*1000-2000 hour level certified though teacher A
* Completed multi-year intern/apprenticeship with teacher A
* Haved worked at ________________, ___________________,_______________ for x # of years
* Please call _______________ for references.

Whatever happened to staying with a teacher and REALLY learning the depth of what that teacher has to offer?
mishoga
Posted 2006-09-21 8:02 AM (#64916 - in reply to #64764)

Expert Yogi

I think about opening a studio all the time. It's not out of the question. I just haven't found space that has motivated me to act. But I'm always on the lookout.

Now if I was going to hire teacher, I would look for experience (years practicing) and I personally like the fact that a teacher has studied with several programs and teachers. To only study with one teacher and one style defines your teaching style that is exactly what you learned. There is nothing wrong with that but I like teachers that develop their own style that is influenced by their life experience. I would look to hire an Iyengar teacher who has focused their education with Iyengar tradition and lineage.

I would also hire someone who has the natural ability to connect with people. There are teachers who are very knowledgeable but boring as hell. More into spouting off about this guru and that swami. They like to talk about their wisdom. Some people like hearing that and some don't. I am the one that doesn't like that. I want to see what you are made of, not what someone else told you.
I would also require personal insurance coverage (many teachers don't carry insurance)
Continuing education would be a must too. Seva would be a requirement for anyone I employ. If they can't perform seva work for the community then I wouldn't be interested.

Mish

I'm always scouting out teachers in the area, just in case I do open a studio.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-21 10:30 AM (#64922 - in reply to #64916)

Expert Yogi

I have the intense good fortune to be in a place where I have studied with about 6 senior teachers on a regular basis for the past 6 years or so. All Iyengar teachers using the same syllabus but with their own unique "stamp" or signature. Thay all go to Pune regularly and bring back the teachings directly. And we bring in visiting Iyengar teachers all the time - so often that I now have to pick and choose to be sure I don't overload and become a workshop addict. There are other styles available to me now but I think the gods have clearly decided I should be an Iyengar teacher!
tourist
Posted 2006-09-21 10:36 AM (#64923 - in reply to #64916)

Expert Yogi

I have the intense good fortune to be in a place where I have studied with about 6 senior teachers on a regular basis for the past 6 years or so. All Iyengar teachers using the same syllabus but with their own unique "stamp" or signature. Thay all go to Pune regularly and bring back the teachings directly. And we bring in visiting Iyengar teachers all the time - so often that I now have to pick and choose to be sure I don't overload and become a workshop addict. There are other styles available to me now but I think the gods have clearly decided I should be an Iyengar teacher!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)