YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

inhale/exhale
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

zenergy47
Posted 2006-09-21 10:45 AM (#64925)
Subject: inhale/exhale

after teaching a few classes a day.. the words inhale and exhale, breath in-out, drink the breath, etc..... seem to get so repetative.. eventhough of course it a huge part in yoga.. i am looking for some new words to use.. any thoughts?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-09-21 7:04 PM (#64969 - in reply to #64925)
Subject: RE: inhale/exhale

Expert Yogi

Huh - no replies to this? Deb - what style do you teach? How often do you cue the breath? I don't cue every pose every time. You could use "inspire" and "expire" but you might get a few funny looks!
zenergy47
Posted 2006-09-21 7:12 PM (#64970 - in reply to #64969)

i dont cue all the breaths.. but for some reason lately its been sounding repetative anytime i say it.. maybe i just need to breathe
zenergy47
Posted 2006-09-21 7:12 PM (#64971 - in reply to #64925)

oh and i teach vinyasa
tourist
Posted 2006-09-21 7:27 PM (#64974 - in reply to #64971)

Expert Yogi

I know what you mean. I find myself using phrases over and over and want to change them. Our dance teacher reminds us of things by starting out "And again, remember x,y,z" and I find I have picked that up and it bugs me a bit.

Posted 2006-09-21 7:56 PM (#64984 - in reply to #64925)

The first "look" for us (or me) as a teacher when bored with something is to look inward. The students may only be perceiving it as I am feeling about it so that has to be clean at all times.

When teaching, repetition IS a critical component for students to "get it". If there's no repetition there's little chance of learning or retention. Try it out with your students. Demo five salient points in a pose then ask them right back what they are. We must repeat.

Now as to the breath, I only give this instruction if I'm changing yogic breathing (Tibetans, pranayama, or where the opening is larger than the breath like Urdhva Dhanurasana) or if I actually see students hardening, holding, turning red, or exhibiting other tension indicators.

Remember that every class you teach is the only class for the student. They haven't had two other classes that day like you have. We just have to leave our stuff outside the studio.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-09-21 7:59 PM
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-21 8:01 PM (#64985 - in reply to #64925)

Expert Yogi

I like the way my instructor uses the words, "on an inhalation or on an exhalation"....she spells it out clearly and she mixes it all up using inhale/exhale or whatever. I don't like the term "drink the breath", it just doesn't jive too well with me. Nor do other words like that, I think they are too mushy or phony or doesn't fit in with my thinking process. I don't know how to say this without offending, but as a student I can tell you that when I hear that...I gag. The one thing I like that she says the most is, "the body is coded to relax on an exhalation" when we are coming out of intense asanas and she always reminds us to roll our shoulders, and "take a deep breath", sometimes she may say, "take another deep breath". The other thing she says when we are in a really extreme asana is this...."find something to like". I don't know why, but it always makes my asana so much easier when I hear those words - especially when doing some of the more challenging Bikram postures,
zenergy47
Posted 2006-09-21 10:22 PM (#64997 - in reply to #64925)

quoted from purnayoga"Remember that every class you teach is the only class for the student. They haven't had two other classes that day like you have. We just have to leave our stuff outside the studio."

- so true.. thank u.. as much as i know that sometimes you need someone to tell you that for your to really re-open your eyes to the truth

tourist
Posted 2006-09-21 11:09 PM (#64999 - in reply to #64997)

Expert Yogi

I agree zen - I like that, too. I also like Cyndi's teacher's thing about the body being coded to relax on exhalation. I don't know that it is exactly accurate (maybe it is - I don't know) but it has a nice ring to it and it sounds right. Maybe one of our physiology gurus can answer that?
ystan
Posted 2006-09-22 3:31 AM (#65005 - in reply to #64984)

As a beginner student of Hatha Yoga, I’m always grateful to my teachers when they prompt us to “breath deeply” or “take a deep breath” or “ make your breath smooth and long”, the cue seems to always come at a time I’m not breathing enough! It is a wonderful when the sound of breaths synchronizes and gave energy to the class. Proper breathing, concentration and asanas made the class into a moving meditation, strengthening the spirit, mind and body. So thank you great teachers. Namaste
mishoga
Posted 2006-09-22 5:19 AM (#65010 - in reply to #64925)

Expert Yogi

I pretty much cue through most of my classes, except when they come into static asanas.
I've used "let the lungs fill" and "release the breath", "expand", "take it in", Fill completely", "let the breath consume your whole being", etc..(I'm sure we've all used these) I'm very expressive with my hands so sometimes I will say nothing and make a gesture with my hands. My students know what I mean.

Since I do cue it is repetitive but I want them to always be attentive to their breath. I'm big on the breathing aspect. I was taught in that fashion and I find it meditative to stay focused on the breath. I would almost say I'm anal with breath cueing but it goes with Rahini yoga. I know there are many teachers who do not focus on breath so much. I tell new students at the beginning of class that I am big on breath synchronization.

Don't worry about sounding repetitive. I'm sure your students like the cues. It reminds them to be present with their breath.

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-09-22 5:20 AM

Posted 2006-09-22 9:04 AM (#65025 - in reply to #64925)

i also teach vinyasa (for the most part) and i cue the breath only when we're in the vinyasa process (inhale, this pose, exhale that pose). once they're holding a pose, i do not cue the breath, but instead tell them to find their breath and focus in, while i adjust students in silence (or speak to them individually quietly) or while i explain the dynamics of the pose in different ways (physical, energetic, historical/philosophical if it's named after a saint, sage, or god/dess).

when it's time to transition again, i call the last breath "ok, last breath here, INhale, and then exhale as you transition to X" if we're holding X, then i'll do as above. if X will be transitioned into Y, i'll call "inhale Y, exhale Z" and so on.
yogi-boy
Posted 2006-10-20 4:48 PM (#67718 - in reply to #64925)

I joke about the repetition with my class BUT because breathe work is so important I stress it.

I have noticed most of my classes appreciate the repetitive reminders as they sometimes become so absorbed with a posture they forget to breathe.
roypotter
Posted 2011-06-18 4:52 PM (#208724 - in reply to #64925)

Regular

Bring In/Bring out, Take In/Take out must be i think something that can help you use in your classes.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)