YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Does anyone else have classes?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2006-09-22 5:07 AM (#65008)
Subject: Does anyone else have classes?

Expert Yogi

This early????? My eyes are tired.

3 classes pretty much back to back with travel time
6-7 a.m.
8:15-9:30
9:45-11:00 a.m.

I need a nappy when I come home

Mish
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-09-22 8:09 AM (#65019 - in reply to #65008)
Subject: RE: Does anyone else have classes?

the earlest class i teach is 8:30 am, twice a week. the rest are at 9:30 am. I also don't teach after 8:30. my latest class starts at 7;15.

for a time, i taught until 9:30 pm and then got home around 10:30 pm. at that same time, i started work two days a week at 6:30 am. it was horrible.

now i keep my schedule during my normal hours. Right now, i'm working on steering my business toward 'regular day' hours--working from 9 am to 1 or 2, and then from 5-7. i want to work from my home exclusively, but that's not possible right now.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-22 10:40 AM (#65048 - in reply to #65019)

Expert Yogi

I teach one class a week 7 - 8 am. Then I go out for breakfast and go to my day job. Many teachers I know will do two 90 min. classes back to back but as much as possible, not 3. If you have nothing else until that evening and have time for that little nap, I suppose it could be doable - but not for this non-morning person!
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-22 6:52 PM (#65119 - in reply to #65008)
Subject: RE: Does anyone else have clas

mishoga - 2006-09-22 5:07 AM

This early????? My eyes are tired.

3 classes pretty much back to back with travel time
6-7 a.m.
8:15-9:30
9:45-11:00 a.m.

I need a nappy when I come home

Mish

If you are young, healthy and strong, you can do it. If you get tired, you must take a nap.
mishoga
Posted 2006-09-22 10:15 PM (#65139 - in reply to #65008)

Expert Yogi

Neel, I need a nap, I'm getting older although I'm sure it doesn't help that I can't sleep when I need to sleep most. Never fails that I can't sleep on super early class nights.
Stinky

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-09-22 10:17 PM

Posted 2006-09-23 6:46 PM (#65195 - in reply to #65008)

I think you already know what I'm going to say.

It's not the early class it's the stack, the energetic demand of classes one after the other.
I purposely do not teach back to back classes. Of course sometimes it necessary for earning a living or so forth (I suppose).

But there is a principle called Asteya which mandates that we do not steal. One of the ways we "steal" (using a liberal translation) is by not getting enough rest and showing up for our students with a half empty tank. We've stolen from them, the robust experience we can offer when we are properly rested, fed, and cared for.

The energetic drain is compounded by those instructors who feel they need to practice along with students during class. I am certain none of our board members do this. A demo of a pose as a precursor to instruction (or a part of) is of course appropriate. But doing one's own practice during class....
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-23 6:56 PM (#65197 - in reply to #65008)

Purnayoga, if only all yoga teachers were so conciensous. At the studio I recently gave up on, only myself and one other student showed up for class one day. I was pyched thinking we might finally get some attention. Instead, nope, the instructor lead us through the practice while doing her own practice, with her eyes closed the whole time. I still have 6 classes in my package that I paid for, but I won't go back there. I was insulted.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-23 7:50 PM (#65203 - in reply to #65197)

Expert Yogi

I have spent time pondering how that idea of practicing along with the class came about? And what about the eyes closed thing? I just have a delightful time wondering how that system would work with our ballroom dance classes
GreenJello
Posted 2006-09-24 1:42 AM (#65209 - in reply to #65008)
Subject: RE: Does anyone else have clas

I think Gordon's partially correct, though getting up that early is also got to be killer depending on the rest of your schedule and social commitments.

Earliest class I've ever taken was 5:15 am, and I had to get up at 4:30 to do so. After about a month (read 4 classes) I went into work, and then told the boss was I was going home to get some rest. Naps are good, but you need to find a sustainable schedule that you can stick with.
mishoga
Posted 2006-09-24 6:46 AM (#65212 - in reply to #65008)

Expert Yogi

Gordon is correct. I spend so much time on the road I figured this was a good way to work half a day and be done instead of working throughout the day. I struggled last year with sitting home waiting for my next class to come. I was constantly coming and going.
I actually love my friday classes. the 6:00 a.m. class is new. I took that so I could get into this gym and that was one of the time slots open. I have this problem with sleep. When I have to get up really early for anything, I can't sleep well. It never fails. I just don't sleep.

Most of the week I'm fine but Fridays really wipe me out. I teach a strong Vinyasa at 6, a gentle yoga at 8:15 (that's perfect) and then a killer Pilates class that I start with a 20 minute Hip Hop routine. And that's with only 3-4 hours of sleep. That kind of dancing takes a lot of energy from me and the constant hip movements give me some pain in my back and hips (that's why my doctor told me to try yoga years ago). I would imagine eventually I will have to change the format of my last class or possibly give it up. Once again I feel it is my age catching up with me.

As far as practicing with the class, I try not to demo if I don't have to. Especially with my Pilates Fusion classes, like this morning.

A teacher closing her eyes and practicing throughout the whole class ? That's ridiculous!!! I hope management/studio owner was informed.

I think another energy vaccuum has been that most recently, a lot of local studio owners and teachers have been coming into my classes. You know your sensors/radars are on when that happens. I don't know why and some have stayed after to pick my brain. Personally I think they want to see what I'm all about. My students see the change in my demeanor.

Arghhhhhhh, have to wake myself up. This is my very last Sunday morning class. I am sad I will not see some of these women again but I am so happy I don't have to teach Sunday mornings anymore YIPEE!!!!!!!!!

Mish
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-24 9:31 AM (#65219 - in reply to #65008)

Haha, Mishoga, this woman was the owner of the studio. Everytime I went there was a different instructor, and I never knew who would show up. I don't think they followed their printed schedule. I think I met six teachers, two I liked, but could never count on who would be there. Or if anyone would be there. Over a two month span, I showed up four times and found class was cancelled without warning. It was quite a ride to get there, and so it was just a frustrating experience. I wonder how they stay in business, but they're the only studio in the area, so.....
I'm able to be disiplined enough to practice at home. I've done it for years, before yoga using The Firm workout videos. I know my body pretty well, and I read plenty on yoga, alignment, styles, and philosophy, so I don't think I'll injure myself. I feel bad about other people in my area who would obviously benefit from yoga, but I can't recommend it to them. They would obviously need a good instructor. Sometimes I feel envious when someone comes to the forum and says I could do this class, or this class, or this class, but I'm thankful for what I have, and we all have our own challenges to deal with.
Enough about that. I also wanted to say that you might be creating your own reality when you say when I need to sleep, I can never fall asleep. Maybe you need to turn that around and say I will sleep when I lay my head down. What is going on when you try to sleep and can't? I too have had some sleep trouble this past summer, and I know how frustrating that can be. Good luck, Shelly
mishoga
Posted 2006-09-24 10:02 AM (#65224 - in reply to #65008)

Expert Yogi

The sleep issue. I think my biggest obstacle is worrying about oversleeping, although I've never done that once.
Then when I can't sleep I'm thinking about the format of my class and such.
Stinky huh?
My mind is racing all the time. My husband always says what are you thinking about. The answer is the same everytime.........YOGA!!! I'm always thinking about Yoga, my Yoga, and the business of yoga with balancing my family life. I never enjoyed myself on Saturday evenings.

Mish

I'm done! YIPEE.....YAHOO!!!!!!!!!! I can stay in bed on Sundays. What a relief. My husband hated me wanting to go home early on Saturday nights when we were out socializing. Now I can reconnect with my friends without thinking about getting up early!!!!!

Edited by mishoga 2006-09-24 10:03 AM

Posted 2006-09-24 11:53 PM (#65281 - in reply to #65008)

Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong. Who knows. And frankly it's not about that.

There are some studies on Circadian Rhythms that are worth a read. The idea that humans are up with the sun and down with the sunset is pretty interesting and some studies show significant health risks for those working graveyard for example. Very interesting stuff. Meanwhile as a society we've violated Circadian Rhythms as a rule and who knows the long term (or present day) ramifications of such patterns.

More to the point, if Mish was asleep by 9pm I suspect her life while waking would be drastically different.
I'm not bothered by early morning teaching especially when I'm properly rested.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-25 10:35 AM (#65327 - in reply to #65281)

Expert Yogi

The biggest thing for me is regularity. My early class isn't a lot earlier than my normal time for waking (30 min) so it is not too difficult. If this one morning is so much different for you mish, that is what the issue really is. You might want to experiment with setting your internal clock to wake you up on your "regular" days. Spend a few moments at bedtime deciding what tme you will wake up and tell yourself this is the time you will wake up. It is not as hard as it sounds.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)