YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cancer News
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-22 2:34 PM (#65088)
Subject: Cancer News

I wish I could cut and paste to share this news with you all. Please have patience with my limited computer skills.

I recently received an email message from my aunt regarding Cancer news being circulated from Johns Hopkins, and also Walter Reed Army Medical Center. The word is that putting plastic in the microwave is releasing dioxins into the food. Dioxins are toxic chemicals that cause cancer. They are recommending using only glass, ceramic, or corningware. Also they say to not put your water bottles into the freezer.

All my friends are shocked when they hear this, as so many people do it everyday. Plastic is everywhere. The message I received said this was known about since fast food companies switched from styrofoam containers to paper for their burgers and such. I can't imagine why it isn't in the news, unless someone is controlling the media. Be careful everyone.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-22 3:06 PM (#65094 - in reply to #65088)
Subject: RE: Cancer News

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cookplastic.asp

but it's better to use a ceramic microwave safe bowl or plate for taste

Edited by SCThornley 2006-09-22 3:09 PM
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-09-22 7:28 PM (#65128 - in reply to #65088)
Subject: RE: Cancer News/false alarm

Wow. That's reasuring. Definately good news as far as the freezer goes, I was worried about frozen vegetables. I don't think I'll ever let my girls put plastic in the microwave still, I can't usually tell different plastics from each other. It might be microwave safe or not, so to err on the safe side...I know it said no dioxins, but still eating plastic is gross. Swallowing bubble gum is bad enough. I'll send my aunt the link, I know she was upset.

Posted 2006-12-07 5:56 PM (#71250 - in reply to #65088)

And all this glosses over the fact that energetically there's nothing IN microwave foods.
They shouldn't be used (if I may be so strong in my words).

Foods were intended to transmit fire energy into the body through cooking. So obviously the most nutritional way to prepare foods is over a fire. Second would be gas, third would be electric. Microwaves simply bombard foods with microwave radiation. There is no energy in the foods but they are very coinvenient and fast, their only benefits.
tourist
Posted 2006-12-07 6:48 PM (#71254 - in reply to #71250)

Expert Yogi

This is funny - we were discussing the issue today. I am sure there were people who objected to gas, then electric stoves. I am sure there were people who objected to even cooking food - some still do. I am not advocating progress at any cost, simply that we tend to be suspect of new things, which eventually become well accepted. Someone in the conversation said that email should "only be used for information - not personal messages." Good grief! Nobody says you can't print out and save emails! Back in the olden days when I was a kid, it was considered a faux pas to write a personal letter on a typewriter, before that, I am sure it was considered rude to write things on paper, when "everyone knows speaking in person is best." We are a weird combination of luddites and efficiency seekers Microwaves are terrible to actually cook in. Some TV character said something to the effect that microwaves don't actually create heat, just an existential illusion of heat.... but I have burned myself on microwaved food often enough to be clear that energy is certainly being transferred in one way or another Put your soup in a glass bowl and heat it up. You'll be fine.
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-12-07 8:43 PM (#71264 - in reply to #71250)

purnayoga - 2006-12-07 5:56 PM

And all this glosses over the fact that energetically there's nothing IN microwave foods.
They shouldn't be used (if I may be so strong in my words).

Foods were intended to transmit fire energy into the body through cooking. So obviously the most nutritional way to prepare foods is over a fire. Second would be gas, third would be electric. Microwaves simply bombard foods with microwave radiation. There is no energy in the foods but they are very coinvenient and fast, their only benefits.

First, I'm a food snob and I don't own a microwave, BUT I don't think using a microwave is the worst thing in the world. I think broccoli can be lightly steamed and still have nutritional value. I mean, the Raw Foods people think boiling water is bad - that the molecular structure is adversely changed, making it unhealthy. All this crazy-making is enough to give one an eating disorder, which I had for 3 years after believing some dopey person that vegetarianism was actually good for me.

On a similar note - LV had an outbreak of some kind of contamination of organic strawberries used in smoothies sold around town yesterday. So, there was debate whether organic food is truly better or not. For the record, I try to only buy organic. It just tastes better to me. But, I wonder what the outcome will be in the future, whether more people are helped or inadvertendly (<- I know that's not spelled correctly) harmed with germies in the food. This sounds like a topic Orbillia will have good insight, research and links to. (I know I'm not supposed to end a sentence with a preposition but sometimes it's hard not to).

(Cyndi is super smart for growing her own food! )
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-07 11:39 PM (#71286 - in reply to #71264)

Expert Yogi

I'm a food snob too Fifi...however, I do use the microwave for certain things. After having parrots for several years now, I've come to a very important conclusion where the microwave is concerned. We used to have a scientist on board our birdtalk forum, eons ago. We all decided that microwaving anything over 1 minute destroys the Chi in food and it all depends on the amount of food you are microwaving at one time. So having that said.....I use the microwave to heat things up, but never do I go over 1 minute. If its a major something to be heated up, you can actually take it out and stir it, then do it again. The culprit of "bad" microwaving is 'hot spots'. Definitely, no cooking in the microwave. I have NEVER been able to master that one, and believe me I tried when I was a career oriented single Mother. I did and still do love a good crock pot though...as long as I can remember to turn it on before I leave work or for the day, 8o

As for germies....I try to live by this philosophy..."Fish can't live in too clean of water". I think we are somewhat foolish to try to "sterilize" our world, but where do you find the happy medium?? How much germs can a person take. What may or may not be germs to me, may be for someone else. I wonder if this is not a perception thing going on too. Although...

I once stood in line at the Jazz festival in New Orleans waiting on a Strawberry Daiquari. Once I got close up to the area where they were making them, I took a look at the Strawberry flats to see mold growing on them!?! Yuck!

Edited by Cyndi 2006-12-07 11:58 PM
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-08 8:24 AM (#71300 - in reply to #65088)

my brother told me about this news, gosh, almost a year ago. So I think it's out there somewhere. He's a little more sensitive to news that comes out about cancer as he is a survivor. I did stop doing the water bottle thing. I'll refill it once, but never twice.
I've always wanted to give it a go with a crock pot. I keep telling myself I should get one.. mybe my poor hubby would get some more interesting dinners! Haaa! I don't like using up my day off cooking...
I only use a microwave for reheating leftovers.. but sometimes still prefer to use my stove for that. People are always in shock when the ask me to pop something in the microwave at the restaurant. We don't HAVE a microwave there. I'm always in shock when they ask me too! heehee

I'm with Cyndi in that I think this attempt to sterilize our environments could be dangerous in the long haul. Antibactierial soap, counter wipes, hand sanitizer, etc.. there is a theory that the bacterias are actually evolving into stronger strains to keep up.. super bacteria, if you will.. I'm fine with the good old fashioned kind- it's been around a heck of a lot longer than we have.. and will probably outlive us too!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-08 10:11 AM (#71315 - in reply to #71300)

Expert Yogi

Personally, I do not feel that non-organic vegetables and produce are killing us and is the cause of cancer. I believe it is a combination of things with the main culprit being in the MIND and the unhealthy environments in which we live and play in. Not the pollution kind of unhealthy, but the way human beings treat each other and the lack of preservation of nature and not having enough space with freedom. My definition of cancer is: OBSTRUCTION and OBSTACLES within the human body and mind. Having that said.....

I do love my organic vegetables and I love my home and the land that allows me to do such things. However, in the future, I do believe that Hydroponic Gardening is the future. I can plant all kinds of things in such a small area in my home...it is amazing. I have another kitchen area that is fully dedicated to my indoor garden. I like to do this when I'm staying at home more in the winter. My sister and I have discussed building and maintaining a greenhouse with hydroponics being the main focus. All this is in the planning stages. But, my main focus will be education and consulting in setting folks up to be able to do their own. I think that is real important since most people don't have a clue. Having a garden and having a nice free flowing environment is so vital and important for good health - which could be slap dead right in the middle of the worst polluted area of the world.

Anyway, last night it got down to 15 degrees and probably zero with the wind chill factor. I couldn't help hearing the cows in the middle of the night. They were sooo cold and had no shelter. It makes my skin crawl the way farmer's treat these beautiful animals. Some of them die here in the mountains. It's very sad. Just another reason I don't eat beef because I refuse to support this practice. Then they wonder why there is E-coli outbreaks everywhere..stupid people - evil at its finest.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-12-08 1:26 PM (#71340 - in reply to #71315)

Cyndi - 2006-12-08 10:11 AM

Personally, I do not feel that non-organic vegetables and produce are killing us and is the cause of cancer. I believe it is a combination of things with the main culprit being in the MIND and the unhealthy environments in which we live and play in.

Very close to the truth.

In my line of work, nothing really happens until someone has proved the risk. That is done through death due to cancer proved to be caused by environmental factors. My job is to identify those cancer causing risks in the environment.

There are carcinogenic risks that we can avoid in the environment. This is one reason we no longer shower metal parts in Carbon Tetrachloride, to make them look shiny.

If you take things to the dry cleaners, you put yourself at risk for kidney and liver damage and it is an avoidalbe cancer risk. Also, break cleaner is another very dangerous chemical mixture. Most degreasers, cleaners, lubricants, fuels and other obviously irritating chemicals are the most obvious avoidable cancer risks, the problem is that when a spill occurs over decades and seeps in underneath your home or place of business; a Vapor Intrusion situation becomes the risk...the silent killer that will cripple your body later in life.

It's not necessarily immmediately hazardous to life and health (IDLH) but over time it bioaccumulates in your organs and fat and like a ticking time bomb eventually goes off.

So, filter your water and don't spend a lot of time in damp and dusky basements.

I speak from experience, being brought onto sites where everyone has luekemia or have already passed away. It's really embarrasing how uninformed the public is and how little the general public actually recognize the real risks to their life and health.

Of course, it is human nature to like shiny objects and, like the moth to the flame, the risky things in life attracts us. How many people have to die painfully, not from an accident but by withering away or degrading slowly and painfully in old age until we recognize unsafe practices and change the way we operate in our homes and businesses? Well, at least there aren't as many smokers as there used to be.

Edited by SCThornley 2006-12-08 1:32 PM
jonnie
Posted 2006-12-08 2:54 PM (#71360 - in reply to #65088)

I recently read 'Freakonomics' by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner.

They write that the risks that scare people and the risks that kill people are often very different. It's not so much death that scares people (we know we'll all die eventually) but the possibility of imminent death.

''Imagine you are a government official, charged with procuring the funds to fight one of two proven killers:terrorist attacks and heart disease. Which cause do you think congress will open up the coffers for? The likelihood of any given person being killed in a terrorist attack are infinitesimally smaller than the likelihood that the same person will clog up their arteries with fatty foods and die of heart disease. But a terrorist attack happens now and heart disease is some distant, quiet catastrophe".
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-12-08 3:19 PM (#71364 - in reply to #65088)

Interesting point, Jonnie. However, often times heart disease can be self-managed. A terrorist attack cannot be self-managed. I mean a 9/11 attack is way different from a sedentary, fat, over 50, male, workaholic.

Still, it's true what you say about perceived risk and real risk.

SCThornley
Posted 2006-12-08 4:28 PM (#71372 - in reply to #71360)

jonnie - 2006-12-08 2:54 PM

I recently read 'Freakonomics' by Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner.

They write that the risks that scare people and the risks that kill people are often very different. It's not so much death that scares people (we know we'll all die eventually) but the possibility of imminent death.

''Imagine you are a government official, charged with procuring the funds to fight one of two proven killers:terrorist attacks and heart disease. Which cause do you think congress will open up the coffers for? The likelihood of any given person being killed in a terrorist attack are infinitesimally smaller than the likelihood that the same person will clog up their arteries with fatty foods and die of heart disease. But a terrorist attack happens now and heart disease is some distant, quiet catastrophe".

We can not rely on the government to protect us.

They only move when faced with the possibility of WAR or being sued in court over money.

Well, maybe I'm just being cynical, but I don't think so, I think I'm being pragmatic.
tourist
Posted 2006-12-08 7:07 PM (#71380 - in reply to #71372)

Expert Yogi

One thing bugs me about all this - going back to the e coli thing. Back in the day (I keep going there, but most of you are not THAT much younger than me and remember this) there was no "e coli" and no "Norwalk virus". There was "food poisoning" and (incorrectly named) the "stomach 'flu." Food was produced much more locally - ie no watermelon for people in Canada at this time of year - and so a town would get something, some people would get sick, some might (MIGHT) die and it never made the national news. Now the food is shipped everywhere, so the spinach thing affected mish in the east and me in the west and all points in between. So it is national news. And a few people got sick. A couple (I don't know the number) died. Which is of course, very sad and we wish it could be prevented. But instead, we get two countries in a frenzied panic over something that probably a) won't happen to them and b) probably won't kill them. And a few thousand truckloads of food are destroyed, "just in case." And I can't get spanikopita at the greek restaurant for months
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-12-08 8:50 PM (#71387 - in reply to #65088)

Steve Thornley, I don't think you're cynical.

Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-08 10:00 PM (#71393 - in reply to #71380)

Expert Yogi

tourist - 2006-12-08 7:07 PM

One thing bugs me about all this - going back to the e coli thing. Back in the day (I keep going there, but most of you are not THAT much younger than me and remember this) there was no "e coli" and no "Norwalk virus". There was "food poisoning" and (incorrectly named) the "stomach 'flu." Food was produced much more locally - ie no watermelon for people in Canada at this time of year - and so a town would get something, some people would get sick, some might (MIGHT) die and it never made the national news. Now the food is shipped everywhere, so the spinach thing affected mish in the east and me in the west and all points in between. So it is national news. And a few people got sick. A couple (I don't know the number) died. Which is of course, very sad and we wish it could be prevented. But instead, we get two countries in a frenzied panic over something that probably a) won't happen to them and b) probably won't kill them. And a few thousand truckloads of food are destroyed, "just in case." And I can't get spanikopita at the greek restaurant for months

This is why I adore Chinese, Asian and Indian/Nepalis culture and their medicine. They ALL have the same similarities which I find so fascinating and interesting...compared to this 'got to eat like a king everyday society'. You eat according to the seasons, you eat the things that are grown in that season, you eat herbs that protect your body and build your immunity, you don't have ice in your drinks, you drink lots of chai instead of coffee and coke, and lots of sugary things...Yes, even cool whip, and most importantly, you don't drown your children in gobs of junk food, even apple juice is BAD for children because it is really sugar and highly too nutritious...screws with their spleen function before they become adults, etc, etc. So many things I could go on about that are so wrong with our present situation...but, who knows maybe it come full circle again...maybe not. Looks like NOT!
jonnie
Posted 2006-12-09 7:52 AM (#71406 - in reply to #65088)

Hi Fifi and Steve,

Very true.

I should point out though, that was a direct quote from the book and not my own words.

Jonathon
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-09 8:09 AM (#71410 - in reply to #71406)

Expert Yogi

Don't worry Jonnie, we regurgitate alot here on this forum, ALL of us do it,
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-09 9:45 AM (#71418 - in reply to #65088)

I guess kind of on this topic and kind of off this topic- more related to excess waste, disposal, environmental effects.. is something that burns my butt. It's the "glove law" that so many Health Dept. think is a good idea. Funny thing is, if you talk to anyone with half a brain, they agree that it's ridiculous. The glove law, for anyone who doesn't know states that a cook needs to wear gloves while handling ready-to-eat foods- salads, sandwiches, desserts, etc. And that the gloves should be changed in between different foods to avoid cross-contamination (which doesn't make sense if the food is safe and ready to eat- there shouldn't be any cross-contamination.) Anything that will not touch heat again before it goes into someone's mouth. On the surface, it makes sense- to protect from germs..
But if you really look at it- say during a typical lunch service- you have 20 tables of 2 people each. If each pair orders something different, the cook needs to change his gloves 40 times.. that's 80 gloves in the trash. And, that is in an ideal world. I've never seen someone adhere to this law completely- because it's completely impractical. Total waste of money, time, and creates so much extra waste. So you have all that extra waste each day, each shift, times how many restaurants in areas that institute the glove law. I can understand wearing gloves to mix tuna salad- mix potato salad, etc because all that mayo all over your hands is a little gross anyway.. For me, I'd rather wash my hand in between each salad, etc.. then I know my hands are clean. That is why we have a hand sink 2ft from our pantry station. By wearing the glove, you have no concept if your hand is dirty because you can't feel anything. Not to mention those accidents involving hot pans and latex- never pleasant to have rubber melted onto your skin- it's not the norm, but it happens. What is the norm is the cook wearing the same gloves over and over again.. and it's nasty. I tell my guys to use tongs- they become an extension of your hands. That's within the law too..

I was outside of Giant (a supermarket here) and the butcher was sitting outside on break. In his bloody apron (which is a health no-no- aprons shouldn't go outside), in his gloves (see what I mean?), SMOKING a cigarette! Hand to mouth, hand to mouth.. and because he has his gloves on, I can guarantee you that he isn't washing his hands when he goes back in. Which is a critical violation- anything involving hand-to-mouth contact must be followed with a hand washing.

Anyhoo.. you can see my feelings about this.
Maybe because I was brought up by neat-niks in this field- I worked in a HAACP grocery store (the only chain, at that time, in America, who were HAACP certified). Not to mention the chef in Culinary School, who would call you out to wash your hands if you so much as thought about touching your face. I'm a bit of a neat-nik myself now.. because I have too much riding on it if someone gets sick at my place
Cyndi
Posted 2006-12-09 1:12 PM (#71424 - in reply to #71418)

Expert Yogi

Don't get me started with that glove thing Josmt. I totally think that is the stupidest thing I've ever seen. It only protects the person wearing the gloves, maybe, like duh!!!??!

I had to visit a government office recently where they were doing this practice. I was like WTF? They should study the life of Howard Hughes.

Like I said, "Fish can't live in too clean of water". I'll keep saying it and saying it...again and again, Okay, resume.....
tourist
Posted 2006-12-09 2:47 PM (#71427 - in reply to #71424)

Expert Yogi

I agree that the glove thing is going nuts. I used them for changing diapers, which makes sense, but do we worry about ATM's? Should the bank tellers wear gloves? Wouldn't it be logical (by this logic) for hotels to throw out all the pens in the rooms after every guest leaves? My husband works on other people's keyboards all day long and doesn't wear gloves. He never gets sick (I shouldn't say that and jinx it!) although the odd time he does get sick he claims I must have brought it home from MY work with the babies!
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-12-09 3:36 PM (#71430 - in reply to #65088)

Yes, the glove thing is totally stupid. If you watch them at the food court at the mall, they serve people, take cash, make change, all with the same gloves. Then they were talking about hotel germs on the radio, the worst thing is the remote control, which they admit never gets cleaned. Everyone touches those.
tourist
Posted 2006-12-10 11:26 AM (#71470 - in reply to #71430)

Expert Yogi

I always wonder why they always only count total number of bacteria on an object for these studies and don't seem to count the "good" vs. the "bad" bacteria. There MUST be some good there along with the nasties otherwise we would all be dead. And why aren't we getting probiotic cleaners?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)