YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Indian Yoga Instructor Wanted
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

foolycooly
Posted 2006-09-23 10:33 AM (#65170)
Subject: Indian Yoga Instructor Wanted

Indian Yoga Instructor (M/F) Wanted in Kaohsiung, Taiwan for Recognized Yoga Center.
Good salary & benefits offered.
We are a famous yoga center based in Kaohsiung (in the southern part of Taiwan). We have opened four branches, which is also the largest yoga center in KS, and are planning to set up a few more in the upcoming years. Therefore, we would like to recruit Indian yoga instructors who are able to stay for at least three months or more to join us for promoting Yoga and providing professional assistence for our members and students. Kaohsiung has the most amiable weather in Taiwan, and is a very good and safe place to live and work. People in the southern part of Taiwan is well-knowned for their hospitality and warmness.
The adminstrator of our yoga center is willing to provide very suitable and satisfying work environment for professionial yoga instructors. Good salaray and free accommodation are provided as well. Interested candidates can send their resume (with certificate copies) and asana demostratoin pictures to this e-mail : foolycooly0409@gmail.com.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arjuna Weeping
Posted 2006-09-25 7:13 PM (#65357 - in reply to #65170)
Subject: RE: Indian Yoga Instructor Wanted

Hey, I'm not an Indian but maybe you can answer a question of mine?

I keep seeing posts, particularly from China, requesting Indian Yoga Teachers. I am wondering why you are specifically requesting people of Indian nationality? Can think of a couple of reasons (none of them very Yogic) such as a misconception that Indian means better in some way, or because you can get away with paying them next-to-nothing, but just wondering if you can enlighten me as to your real reasons?

Cheers,

Scott
indianyogi
Posted 2006-09-26 1:41 AM (#65378 - in reply to #65170)

hi foolywooly of taiwan yoga centre, i think you need to clear the doubt in scotts mind.why yoga centres in china and taiwan advertise for indian yoga teachers? Whats the difference between a yoga teacher born and brought up in india and yoga instructors from other regions of the world?
as scott accuses is it because you can get away with paying little money or do yoga teacher from india are better .
Arjuna Weeping
Posted 2006-09-27 8:17 AM (#65487 - in reply to #65170)

I think suspects is a better word than accuses I cannot see any good reasons other than price, every country has good and not-so-good Yoga teachers including India, so there is no guarantee of quality based on country of origin. I just wonder why anyone would restrict nationality?

Cheers,

Scott

PS edited because I type country wrong and it thought I was swearing!

Edited by Arjuna Weeping 2006-09-27 8:18 AM
foolycooly
Posted 2006-09-27 11:30 AM (#65506 - in reply to #65357)

first of all, Taiwan is Taiwan
we are not part of China, so don't mistake us as the same country.
And i am very serious about this.
and as for ur questions, let me explain to u with an analgy.
If you were opening an language learning center in ur place, what kind of teacher would u prefre?
a local whose first language wasn't the students paying to learn, or the foreigners who happen to speak the language the students want to learn.
So, isn't it clear, is it?
Besides, i can sense you have some kind of discrimanation toward indian people.
How come you think they are less capable of earning money than you do?
Yes, their living standard is much lower than it is from where you are.
But that can't justify your thinking they earn less than you are.
Basically, no matter where are you from, you all are foreigners to us.
And we are paying them for what their expertise should deserve.
If you are this good, we will give the same deal. However, out students may think u lack some kind of autheticity.
So, just blame yourself why you were not born in India, and why Yoga get so popular everywhere, and students want to have the opportunity to approach the people of its origin.
The business is run very market-oriented. So, what can i say?

indianyogi
Posted 2006-09-29 2:23 AM (#65711 - in reply to #65170)

well said foolywooly,
Your answer is very clear and practical.I believe that people like scott need not worry about this and waste their time.You know,there are yoga centres in india especially in goa run by foreigners , i mean people from europe and usa and all the teachers who teach in those instituitions are foreigners. Many well trained and qualified indian yoga teachers apply there to work but never selected.There is a famous yoga centre in goa(famous among foreigners),according to a person stayed there, it is a yoga centre run by westerners , for the westerners.They charge high amounts for 2 or 3 weeks of stay and yoga whereas for just ten percent of that amount one can learn yoga in true indian way in traditional indian yoga centres.many sincere yoga aspirants are fooled by these yoga centres.They have the audacity to show discriminaion towards indians in india.indians show no complains.Because there is no restriction , anyone from any part of the world can learn yoga and teach yoga.India believes it.But the discrimination comes from the other.I do doubt the foreigners who teach in those yoga centres in goa , got work permits.This is happening in a country where there are millions of unemployed people. People like scott whining and complaining about indian teachers getting selected in taiwan , while they have made it extremely difficult for indians to get yoga teaching opportunity in those (developed) countries.
yogis of scott type let us indians also live in this world.
Nick
Posted 2006-09-29 11:38 AM (#65743 - in reply to #65711)

Hi all,
I can see everyone's point of view, but i would like to say that in England, it would not be permitted to specify a preferred nationality in a job advertisement-if you tried to put that in a newspaper, you would be prosecuted under the race relations act. But of course, it's up to you who you hire. Personally, I would want to hire the best teacher available, irrespective of nationality, and would think that the best chance of this would be to advertise worldwide, and then take my pick.
By the way, I'm not looking for a job in Taiwan
Nick
indianyogi
Posted 2006-09-30 9:21 AM (#65798 - in reply to #65170)

your quoting of bertrand russel. whom are you calling fools and fanatics.everyone other than english.If somebody says something you people dont like thats not proper not proper.How great
is race relation in enlgand.only on paper.everyone in this this part of the world knows whats going on there.nick nick dont you get what fooly wooly said..... they want a teacher from india.Thats it.There are more fools and fanatics where you live than anywhereelse in the world.
Nick
Posted 2006-09-30 9:54 AM (#65801 - in reply to #65798)

hi indianyogi,
In my last post I said that I could see everyones point of view-for instance, I am aware of these yoga centres in india of which you spoke and agree that they are probably fake and are not paying tax. The quote of Bertrand Russell is one I like and is not one that had any application to my post-in fact, I added it this morning-in my first post, it was not there.
I fail to see what I could have said that would cause offence-but can see plenty to cause offence in what you say-I will not stoop to argue with you. When I was younger, I used to go out on the streets to fight the british nazis, whose political agenda is identical to yours.
Funny how life turns out.
Nick
indianyogi
Posted 2006-09-30 10:08 AM (#65805 - in reply to #65170)

Hi,
Nick i do not have any political agenda.Infact i have no agenda.I do believe that all are equal.
you made me say what i said.I am happy to hear that you fought british nazis.Still you got so much work ahead.such a great man like you need not stoop to answer me. I am a simple ordinary commoner.
My distasteful statement is only towards the nicks and scotts of the world.Not to the other secular
people of the island and other part of the world.
tourist
Posted 2006-09-30 10:21 AM (#65806 - in reply to #65805)

Expert Yogi

Let's keep the conversation civil, folks.

I understand the desire to have "authentic" teachers from the place yoga was born. And perhaps there was a time when the only authentic teachings were from teachers from India. Over the past 30 years however, that has changed a great deal. There was once also a time where if a country wanted to pursue baseball, they would have insisted (and be truly justified in doing so) on an American coach. Nowadays it might be more prudent to look world wide as there are undoubtedly great baseball coaches in Japan, Puerto Rico, Cuba, etc. If you are looking for someone who walks and talks like and American to coach baseball, I guess you need to hire a white guy from Texas or New York, but it does not guarantee a good coach any more than hiring an Indian yoga teacher guarantees a great yoga teacher. Because now we have great, good, so-so and terrible yoga techers all over the planet....

But to get a good ice hockey coach, you still have to look in Canada
Nick
Posted 2006-09-30 10:49 AM (#65812 - in reply to #65806)

Hey Glenda,
I hope I was civil-but then again, there are more fools and fanatics in England than anywhere else in the world, according to indianyogi, so I could be a fool too
This conversation is obviously going nowhere fast, but have a look at these quotes by Jorg Haider, far rigth politician from Austria-father a nazi stormtrooper:

"At least the third reich had a decent employment policy"

"My party is not a direct descendant of the nazi party. If it was, we would have an absolute majority in Austria."

And lastly "Do we really need 180,00 foreigners here when we've got 140,00 unemployed?"

Now compare this last quote with what indianyogi has to say:

"I do doubt the foreigners who teach in those yoga centres in goa , got work permits.This is happening in a country where there are millions of unemployed people. "

That is scarily identical.

Nick
Cyndi
Posted 2006-09-30 1:12 PM (#65819 - in reply to #65812)

Expert Yogi

This is funny you guys....this conversation made me think of our own situation here in the US....like I'm sure some outsiders are thinking that in order to be President of the USA...you have to be from Texas, love oil and pronounce "Amerikens" like this and wear cowboy boots.

Edited by Cyndi 2006-09-30 1:13 PM
indianyogi
Posted 2006-10-01 1:30 AM (#65858 - in reply to #65170)

Hi friends,
I do not hold the foolish notion that only indian yoga teachers are good or indian yoga teachers are someway better.As one of you said there are good yoga teachers from every part of the world.Infact in india only few people do yoga or teach even from the ancient times.Because it was thought and still holds the view that yoga is not for everyone.(in india).Comparing base ball and and election of presidents in usa with yoga.Now taiwan seems to have a reason why they go for indian teachers.Einsteins quotation is really good.But he was a scientist. right.Now again great minds and mediocre minds who decides? All minds are great but few realises it.
Iyengar quotation is really good to hear.But i like to quote patanjali Yogah chittavritti nirodah yoga is the cessatiion of the modications of mind. Yogaswar krishna says Yoga is perfection in action. Nick my friend cut the nazi crap lets stick to yoga.
Nick
Posted 2006-10-01 2:23 AM (#65859 - in reply to #65858)

Indianyogi my friend you quit insulting people based on their nationality or colour, and I'll quit the nazi crap-ok?? If you examine your posts, then you will see that it is who has not stuck to the path of yoga-if you cannot see it, it's there in black and white for everyone to see.
Nick
mishoga
Posted 2006-10-01 9:08 AM (#65877 - in reply to #65170)

Expert Yogi

Wow, this is deep!
I think we all should take a deep breath and leave this be. We all have our own belief system. It seems it will remain that way too.
Indianyogi will stand firm. So be it! It is what it is and nothing more!

Mish
Nick
Posted 2006-10-01 9:14 AM (#65879 - in reply to #65877)

Hi Mish,
Ok
Nick
mishoga
Posted 2006-10-01 9:19 AM (#65880 - in reply to #65170)

Expert Yogi

Morning Nick
Shanti
Mishy
tourist
Posted 2006-10-01 11:51 AM (#65895 - in reply to #65880)

Expert Yogi

"ahimsapratisthayam tatsannidhau vairatyagah" - When non-violence in speech, thought and action is established, one's aggressive nature is relinquished and others abandon hostility in one's presence. Yoga Sutra II-35

I try to steer away from quoting scripture, as it can turn into a bit of a lose-lose situation. But I thought this one was quite appropriate here.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-01 12:26 PM (#65900 - in reply to #65877)

Expert Yogi

If its any consulation to anyone...I once had to deal with some Tawainese people here in the US. This Tawainese woman started a Tibetan Buddhist Temple and got all these Tibetans over from China and India to form this temple. They mainly did poojas for her business and anyone else who had $$ to pay for their dog and pony show. It looked good from the outside until you hung around the place for any length of time. They were awful to the Tibetans and treated them like slaves. The poor Tibetan monks had to sleep in a damp cold basement with 2 to each small room, on the floor using these so called Japanese mattresses that were paper thin and 1 bathroom that was always filthy with mold. One of the Tibetans was always sick. I used to take him to my TCMD to get treatments, he was so unhappy. Finally he got away. All they cared about the fact that they heard somewhere that the Tibetans would bring them good luck, prosperity and so on. They had these Tibetans performing all kinds of services with little pay. This one particular owner yelled and screamed at them. Once I witnessed her outrage myself. I pulled her outside and gave her a piece of my mind and told her to back off. I ended up severing my relationship with these people because it was heartbreaking and very disturbing to see this going on. My husband who is Nepalis/Indian, was totally disgusted with this group from Tawain (however you spell it!!).

Oh well, guess they got tired of dealing with Tibetans now and are moving on to Hindu culture....beware, beware,
mishoga
Posted 2006-10-01 12:55 PM (#65905 - in reply to #65170)

Expert Yogi

That's horrible Cyndi! So much for Ahimsa although I guess it doesn't apply in that instance but should!

Mish

Edited by mishoga 2006-10-01 12:56 PM
tourist
Posted 2006-10-01 3:36 PM (#65927 - in reply to #65905)
Subject: RE: Indian Yoga Instructor Wan

Expert Yogi

Very sad story, Cyndi - It is a shame when an encounter with a group of people colours our whole perception of that group. Although we all know intellectually that there are good and bad people in every country, in every walk of life, it is difficult to separate these experiences from what we know is right. The awareness we gain as yogis can help us keep an open mind on all the new people we meet and not keep unhealthy attachments to our previous experiences. It is not easy, but it is important to try.

Posted 2006-10-01 4:27 PM (#65934 - in reply to #65170)

on my own personal reflections and experiences, i was thinking about this question of authenticity. this was an aspect that i was reminded of most quickly:

when i first started teaching yoga professionally, i was really intimidated when i had indian students in the room. that is, when a person of indian descent would come to class, i would be really edgy. now, when a famous teacher (who was not indian) came to the studio, i wouldn't care. In fact, there were times when celebrities and celebrity yogins came to the studio and if our lead teacher couldn't teach it, he'd ask me because i was the only one not inimidated by it. I used to say "one butt in the air is always the same as the other." which is true--when everyone is in downward dog, all you see are colorful pants, not what race the person is, whether or not they're rich or poor, or anything like that.

but, i would find myself very nervous around indian people because next to them, i didn't feel "authentic." i felt like they were the ones living this tradition--with their heritage, their religious practices, even their race, one could say.

it took a while, but one of the indian men in my class and i became good friends. he was raised in the US--he and his brother--and both married girls from india in arranged marriages. In many ways, his family was/is very traditional. His parents have retired from business (the sons taking over that business) and run the temple in our area. It's their cultural duty, i was told.

in any case, after a time, i told him of my nervousness and my feelings of inadequacy and he laughed at me. he said that there isn't anything inauthentic about what i'm teaching--that i'm a good student and very respectful of the tradition. i ask questions and i admit when i don't know something. it was at this time that i was invited to join his family at various temple gatherings and it was they who decided i should teach yoga (asana and pranayama) at the temple every other week. I also attend pujas and lectures--any time i'm invited and it fits my schedule. I learn a great deal from them.

I don't know how this bears on the argument, but it's a rather funny thing. I felt less 'authentic' as a yoga teacher because i, myself, am not indian. and yet, what my indian friends have taught me is that the ability to experience yoga doesn't care for race or sex or class or any other thing--it is available for all--and the ability to teach yoga isn't determined by these factors either.

So, i thought that 'that" was interesting.
tourist
Posted 2006-10-01 8:13 PM (#65949 - in reply to #65934)

Expert Yogi

ZB - I had that experience early on imn my teaching. The young woman who came to my class came from a family who "practiced a bit at home" and she was frankly pretty inept and admitted it. It was a really fun class with a group of young women who were friends and my feelings of not being authentic were pretty much eased then. We also have an Indian student who I don't see often but has complimented me on my Sanskrit, which was very nice Now, an Indian Iyengar student from Pune might put me into the heebie jeebies - I'll let you know if tha happens!
indianyogi
Posted 2006-10-03 12:47 AM (#66043 - in reply to #65170)

hi , tourist,
there is no lose lose situation in quoting scritptures only if you consider it as a competion.for most of us those are just words good to hear and quote and feel wise and great.In those words contains an understanding an awareness, if we reach that stage , i am told by my gurus(indian ofcourse) we need not struggle to convince others.If you are not disturbed by others expressing their thoughts, you may not use this veiled violence to chastise others.Well i am no way near that enlightenment.just a struggling yoga student.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)