YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

who is "me"
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Meditation -> General MeditationMessage format

george100
Posted 2006-09-27 7:26 PM (#65560)
Subject: who is "me"

This is what I know so far:

There are two living entities inside "me":
1) my ego
2) my soul, also known as "sub-consciousness", or "self"

Ego is what society says about me, or the image that I create by myself about myself, based on how the society describes me.
Soul is what travels from a life time to another. Does it have any memory ?

Ego deals with three masters :
- id = the animal in "me", which generates the libido
- super ego = the inner police, which forces "me" to follow the rules of the society
- the outside world = which "I" need for : (1) obtaining the basic necessities of life (2) fulfilling the goal of physical touch, which comes from the instinct of reproduction (3) socializing, otherwise "I" get nuts because we are design to live in groups

SHORT comments apreciated

Edited by george100 2006-09-27 7:26 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-27 11:03 PM (#65572 - in reply to #65560)
Subject: RE: who is "me"

george100 - 2006-09-27 7:26 PM

This is what I know so far:

There are two living entities inside "me":
1) my ego
2) my soul, also known as "sub-consciousness", or "self"

Ego is what society says about me, or the image that I create by myself about myself, based on how the society describes me.
Soul is what travels from a life time to another. Does it have any memory ?

Ego deals with three masters :
- id = the animal in "me", which generates the libido
- super ego = the inner police, which forces "me" to follow the rules of the society
- the outside world = which "I" need for : (1) obtaining the basic necessities of life (2) fulfilling the goal of physical touch, which comes from the instinct of reproduction (3) socializing, otherwise "I" get nuts because we are design to live in groups

SHORT comments apreciated

Comments: Very good George! ego is part of the mind. soul as defined by you, is also a part of mind in the form of subconscious, which has memory. And, it also travels from life to life. Where as the other soul, which is permanent is beyond mind, and does not do anything. It only watches everything.
george100
Posted 2006-09-28 11:56 AM (#65625 - in reply to #65572)

The soul is trapped in the body, like a "ghost trapped in a machine". This setup (created by an intelligent form) is forcing the soul to be exposed to a strong "vibration" (I don't find a better word), which is actually the EMOTION.

When a person is exposed to an emotion, the encephal generates peptones in the entire body. These are "excitement pills" with an encrypted ID. All the cells in the body receive these peptones but only some of these cells will react physically. Only those that match the ID will react. Probably the easiest example: man sees a woman, peptones are released with ID for genital, which will result in erection. Same process happens for any emotion: happiness, despair, curiosity etc.
Now the interesting part: any emotion, has some chemicals (peptones) associated with it. Is very likely that some people can get addicted to some of these chemicals. For example they can get addicted to sadness, for the simple reason that they like the effect of those peptones related with sadness. Some can get addicted to madness, or sex, or any other emotion.

So my point is: the soul not only that stays in the body as an observer, but is also exposed to emotions. Why?
Emotions create the impression of "direct contact", because the soul gets "pinched" each time something important goes on, in the "reality". The goal of the game, is that the soul must be able to reach a high level of control over the entire system (soul-body-mind) such as to make the system to generate positive attitude (forgiveness, acceptance, love, friendship etc) regardless of any emotion triggered by the "reality".
george100
Posted 2006-10-05 3:23 PM (#66373 - in reply to #65560)

I'm expecting some harsh comments about previous posting. Please don't hesitate.

In a simplified version this is what was about:
Buddhist message says: "this reality is an illusion". Which nobody can prove if this is either correct or not. However, one thing we cannot doubt: the emotions we experience day by day are real.
What we see, what we taste, what we touch may or may not be real, but is real what we feel: sad, happy, bored, mad, etc.
It appear that the reason we are being brought in this reality, is to force us to strengthen ourselves (to "rise", or to "awake") such as to control our emotions, such as to respond only with positive feelings (forgiveness, acceptance, love, friendship etc) regardless of how horrible experiences we face while we are in this "reality".
Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-05 4:29 PM (#66378 - in reply to #66373)

Expert Yogi

george100 - 2006-10-05 3:23 PM

I'm expecting some harsh comments about previous posting.

Why??
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-10-05 6:42 PM (#66391 - in reply to #65560)

Yeah, why?

I think your explanation is interesting. I believe we (some of us, at least) can get hooked on emotions. Some people thrive on drama; it distracts them from reality and keeps them "too busy" to actually deal with pertinent issues. I think media adds fuel to the fire.

I think one key is to disconnect with disconnecting.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-10-05 7:16 PM (#66396 - in reply to #65560)

ok
*Fifi*
Posted 2006-10-05 9:01 PM (#66402 - in reply to #65560)

No. I meant to say disconnect without disconnecting.

Duh!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-05 9:21 PM (#66404 - in reply to #66402)

Expert Yogi

*Fifi* - 2006-10-05 9:01 PM

No. I meant to say disconnect without disconnecting.

Duh!

We knew that...don't worry Fifi, we got you covered,

Notice I said "WE" NOT "ME",

I don't know who me is anymore.....especially when after all this time, all the guru's say..."Know Thyself"....NOT, "Get to know ME"...right???

Edited by Cyndi 2006-10-05 9:24 PM
devotee
Posted 2006-10-06 12:34 PM (#66466 - in reply to #66373)

george100 - 2006-10-05 3:23 PM

Buddhist message says: "this reality is an illusion". Which nobody can prove if this is either correct or not. However, one thing we cannot doubt: the emotions we experience day by day are real.
What we see, what we taste, what we touch may or may not be real, but is real what we feel: sad, happy, bored, mad, etc.
It appear that the reason we are being brought in this reality, is to force us to strengthen ourselves (to "rise", or to "awake") such as to control our emotions, such as to respond only with positive feelings (forgiveness, acceptance, love, friendship etc) regardless of how horrible experiences we face while we are in this "reality".

Dear george,

What is your definition of real ? All your perceptions like sight, taste, touch come from brain & so do the emotions - then why do you feel one set of it is real & the other one is not ? Reality is defined by the essence of a thing which doesn't change even if the form changes. Emotions are our mental reaction to our perception of various situations around us & balance of chemicals in us. How real is a reaction born out of a non-real perception & unreliable tools of perception ? Moreover, perception of this reaction is also through our mind ... which is more interested in the survival of our ego ( the false sense of one's identity not as per psychology) & fails to see the reality. All the emotions are born in the world created by our mind which binds us ... the emotions are bondages ... they appear real because we are conditioned to percieve everything through our mind. This world of mind is the world of suffering ... it is false, it is illusion ... it is created by our conditioning. That is why the soul is called "Conditioned being".

The pure spirit, the Atman, should be seen different from soul. Atman is pure conciouness. It is not affected by feelings, perceptions, good or bad karmas etc. Unless you know that Atman/pure infinite conciousness ... illusion apprears real & the Conditioned Being keeps on going in cycles in the world of duality bound in his karmas. Once you know (?, because there is no false sense of you, me, we etc. & there is nothing to know which is separate from you) the Atman/the pure conciousness ... there is no duality. In that state everything is seen as various manifestations of the same "that".
george100
Posted 2006-10-06 8:52 PM (#66514 - in reply to #66404)

When meditation brings you in the mental state that you say to yourself " I don't know who I am any more"... is actually a good sign.
What actually happens, your ego falls apart, and you loose your identity.

Your ego is like a cloud that surrounds you. You don't have to fight with it, you only need to be able to observe it. Once you observe it, it goes away. Since you are born, you only experienced living in this cloud. Once it goes away, you feel lost and confused. But from now on, you will be able to analyze your emotions.
When ever somebody fails you or appreciates you, your ego kicks in. This generates emotions, that make you unstable. Ask yourself "why do I feel the way I do ?". Gradually you will learn to answer this question faster and faster. The people around you will start looking differently to you, because they are not able to do this simple routine of understanding their own reactions.

http://deoxy.org/egofalse.htm#top

devotee
Posted 2006-10-06 10:59 PM (#66517 - in reply to #66514)

george100 - 2006-10-06 8:52 PM
When meditation brings you in the mental state that you say to yourself " I don't know who I am any more"... is actually a good sign.

That was a good one !
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)