YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I'm torn about what to do
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for Stress ReliefMessage format

richk
Posted 2006-09-27 7:42 PM (#65561)
Subject: I'm torn about what to do

Hi,

I'm not sure what I should be doing... I'm having problems with stress and anxiety, and it's affecting my job. So I guess I should make yoga a priority. But it doesn't seem like enough. I feel like I need more vigorous exercise to work off this anxiety.

It seems like no matter what I try to do (yoga, weights, cardio) I end up just increasing my anxiety many times by trying to decide which aspect to do, and how to set up the workout within that.

I've tried power yoga, thinking that I would get a little bit of everything, but had the same feelings arise. (Ive read articles where they advise against power-type yoga when anxious, probably to avoid just this type of thing).

In case it matters.... I try to do this exercise first thing in the morning, as it's the only time of day I can consistently make sure to commit to it (even though I don't have much energy at that time of day). I only try to do one of the big three on a given day because trying to coordinate more than one on a given day makes me feel that much worse.

Does anyone have any advise for a helpful, sustainable routine that would relieve the anxiety and make me feel like other aspects of fitness have been addressed? I'm at my wit's end trying to figure it out myself.

Thank you in advance,
Rich
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2006-09-27 9:14 PM (#65565 - in reply to #65561)
Subject: RE: I'm torn about what to do

Expert Yogi

Hi rich - yes, the power styles often increase anxiety. There is a wonderful sequence in the Iyengar book, Path to Holistic Health, which I have used myself. It is helpful to know Iyengar principles and how to use props, but I can give you the sequence if you are interested.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-09-27 10:43 PM (#65569 - in reply to #65561)

richk - 2006-09-27 7:42 PM

Hi,

I'm not sure what I should be doing... I'm having problems with stress and anxiety, and it's affecting my job. So I guess I should make yoga a priority. But it doesn't seem like enough. I feel like I need more vigorous exercise to work off this anxiety.

It seems like no matter what I try to do (yoga, weights, cardio) I end up just increasing my anxiety many times by trying to decide which aspect to do, and how to set up the workout within that.

I've tried power yoga, thinking that I would get a little bit of everything, but had the same feelings arise. (Ive read articles where they advise against power-type yoga when anxious, probably to avoid just this type of thing).

In case it matters.... I try to do this exercise first thing in the morning, as it's the only time of day I can consistently make sure to commit to it (even though I don't have much energy at that time of day). I only try to do one of the big three on a given day because trying to coordinate more than one on a given day makes me feel that much worse.

Does anyone have any advise for a helpful, sustainable routine that would relieve the anxiety and make me feel like other aspects of fitness have been addressed? I'm at my wit's end trying to figure it out myself.

Thank you in advance,
Rich

You should learn Meditation from an experienced teacher.
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-28 9:10 AM (#65596 - in reply to #65561)

Hi,

Thank you in advance,
Rich

It sounds to me as if you are not breathing correctly.

Do not try to have a picture perfect asana, focus on correct breathing and breathe into the asana slowly and in a 'mind focused on breathing' state, ease yourself into the asana.

Do not focus on performing a set number of asanas, but more focus on the benefit of controlling your breath/body connection.

Even 'Power' yoga sequences when done in this fashion can end with a crescendo of relaxation and rejuvenation in the closing savasana.

You absolutely must learn from a reputable master and ultimately find your rhythm.

There are times when I cannot perform my normal yogasana routine because to do so would be to ignore the stresses that I'm not dealing with in other areas of my life, and so, my yogasana practice FORCES me to address the issues and balance them so that my body is suple and relaxed in Halasana and Karna Pidasana, if I get that far in my practice to the closing of Ashtanga 1st series.

There is a time for yogasana, and it is not when your body and mind are holding on to tension and stress. This will only lead to injury.

Relax, get some rest, good luck, and keep practicing.

judamom
Posted 2006-09-28 12:05 PM (#65626 - in reply to #65561)

Honorable Richk--take one moment to consider that mass consciousness may be playing a part in your anxiety. I have been amazed at the anxiety that I am picking up in my solar plexes (it ended yesterday--actually in the afternoon). Yoga is only a tool (in my humble opinion) and not the magic cure all every moment of the day. Some times we just have to be determined to ride out an astrological influence or a mass consciousness influence doing the best we can with the extremely helpful tools we have learned along the way. Some times my mantra is just "this too will pass" then rejoice when it is gone-----because it will be back other time. Eventually we know it will pass and we attempt to flow easier. When the anxiety 'never' occurs we have mastered not being affected by it or built such a protection that it is impenetrable. If you read this and it fits your inner self wonderful and if it doesn't feel right then it is not the answer for you. That is the wonderment of such forums.........you have access to a multidude of life experiences. Good health and an ease of anxiety to you. Judamom

Posted 2006-09-28 6:49 PM (#65663 - in reply to #65561)

Hi Rich. Good post. I appreciate your frustration and your willingness to share this.

There really is no thing that you "should" be doing. It sounds to me like you are seeking a bit of direction.
When we effort to "do" our lives only from the mind (the head, the brain) then we miss out as the mind (and the pelvis) have their own agenda. It is only from the heart that we can act more toward peace, serenity, joy, hapiness, whatever YOU call it. The absence of anxiety.

And this heart direction has to be sought out, looked for, connected with.
Your description sounds liek all of your energy is in your mind.
Can you try two weeks of just seeing what it is your heart wants and doing that? Even if you don't get your definition of a "workout" accomplished can you let the heart guide you?

It's a tall order unless the language I speak is very familiar to you.
Pragmatic replies are well and good. They even serve in some situations. This may not be one of them.

There are clearly some external factors you've not mentioned and my guess is you have not dealt with them or confronted them. Now perhaps you are in that process. Good.
If I were in the place you are in (based on what youv'e shared) I would try to do ten minutes of yoga practice each morning. Anything else that happened over the course of the day is gravy. A simple beginning with a seated centering. This centering is effective when you draw the pelvic energy up to the heart while dropping the brain energy down to the heart.

A couple of sun salutations follow your opening.
Then pick two asana and do those two on monday. At this stage of your practice on tuesday you may do the same or try two different poses. But there is no need to create an issue of what to do here. Pick utkatasana or trikonasana, or uttansana.

I think you will find, with a brief, regular, commited practice that moves the breath that you will begin to release some of that anxiety. Might want to back off on caffeine and sugars too.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-09-28 6:52 PM
richk
Posted 2006-09-28 7:11 PM (#65666 - in reply to #65561)

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

Purna, your reply rings especially true to me. I constantly fixate on what I SHOULD be doing. What the RIGHT thing to do is. On some level I realize that many times there is no right choice, but it just doesn't seem to sink in all the way. So I'm left going back and forth, unable to move forward.

I also know I let my mind try to rule everything, leaving my heart (and yes, even my pelvis. No time/energy for intimacy with big decisions to make) without a voice. Just the idea of letting my heart have a say is very scary. For example, my heart would say to leave a job that has me miserable and feeling ill every day with no improvement in sight.

But my mind says no, you can't do that. You have a mortgage, a car payment, etc, and need to take care of those things. My poor heart isn't even allowed to figure out what a better job for me might be (something I could enjoy, or at least not be totally depressed about), or figure out how to work towards it.

(You're right about the caffeine too. Unfortunately my poor sleep has led to me increasing coffee consumption over time, and now I'm a true addict. But I'm working on that.)

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into a therapy session. But you've all given me plenty to think about.

Take care,
Rich

tourist
Posted 2006-09-28 7:23 PM (#65669 - in reply to #65666)

Expert Yogi

rich - we are more than happy to be your free therapists. The job situation is HUGE. It is something that just has to be attended to and it seems that you know this. It is not always a question of following your heart in a way that means moving out to the country and growing organic string beans and giving up your current lifestyle. Sometimes it does, but you have maybe heard the expression "a change is as good as a rest"? Even if you are in a field you don't think you like or in a soul sucking government or corporate job, there are often ways to make changes or lateral transfers or SOMETHING that creates movement or change for you. I have seen many people blossom after letting go of their horrible jobs. Don't wait too long - it is a major part of your life and you don't need to ruin your health over it.
pamela
Posted 2006-09-28 9:14 PM (#65688 - in reply to #65666)

Hi Rich,

Your story sounds very familiar. I spent few years being miserable in a job, feeling stuck because of a mortgage and student loans. At times, the mental noise was deafening.

With a lot of mental noise, it is hard to hear your heart, let alone listen to it.

Aside from your yoga practice, are there ways you can find “space” during your day? For example, taking a walk in the park and truly seeing the trees and the birds, or finding a quiet corner to sit in and listen to your breath? It could even be bringing your full attention to everyday activities, such as picking up a pen. The idea here is to create some gaps in your mental activity throughout the day. Allow for it to happen, and don't get frustrated if it doesn't.

Are there aspects of your job (and hobbies) you enjoy? Can you spend a moment appreciating them? I'm not trying to encourage you to stay in the job or leave the job, just to acknowledge what you like and shift some of your mental energy toward that. The idea here is to discover what you want and like.

I ended up leaving my job and am happy I did. But I also respect it for what it taught me.

As for yoga, there is an idea of matching energy before trying to change it. If your mind is overactive, you would start out fairly active in your practice (with a safe warm-up, of course) and then gradually slow the pace, bringing your body and mind into a quieter space...possibly following up with some pranayama and meditation.

Best of Luck,
Pamela

Body Movement Therapy
Cairns Yoga
joscmt1
Posted 2006-09-28 11:21 PM (#65697 - in reply to #65561)

I tell ya, when I was feeling a bit like you seem to be.. a great boxing class did the trick for me. Not one of those cute cardio kickboxing... but a real class with bag work and sparring. Bag drills are a fabulous way to burn off the stress! And then you can balance it with yoga... a good sprint does the same trick as boxing for me. It's got to be ba!!s out- not a gradual exercise for me.
Also, the extra caffeine isn't helping either (but you already know that). Excess caffeine consumption will drain your adrenals.. and then you'll feel like poopoo..
good luck.. things will turn up
devotee
Posted 2006-09-29 8:13 AM (#65720 - in reply to #65561)

Hi Rich,

You are trying to solve your problems the wrong way. You cannot close your eyes to your problems attain peace. Lord Krishna says, " You must do your duty as required ( one of the pre-requites for self-realisation)". Your duty now is to take care of your family which is being fulfilled through your job. Certainly, you are not having many options for a better job at least now. Then what to do ?

Can you relax & get rid of your tension by doing Meditation, or Yogic exercises or Weight lifting ?
No. You can hide your tension for the time being but it would resurface. That is what is happening to you. Meditation, Yogic exercises & Weight lifting are tools & not the end ... use them "conciously" to make your life enjoyable. How to do it ? I have some suggestion that you may try :

i) List out all those factors which are troubling you. Be sure, you are not leaving any hidden factor.
ii) Take each factor one by one & accept that factor. i.e. stop hating that factor, stop reacting to that factor. Forgive that factor. Just accept that factor as it is. By doing that you are taking away that power from that factor by which it has the potency to trouble you. Mind it, all the factors are
recieving power only from you ( because you are not accepting, you are not forgiving - this resistence gives them the power to disturb you). And therefore, you only can stop the power-supply to them.
iii) Now, think what you can do to change the scenerio. We all have some solution for every problem. It may not appear to be the best one ... but it would be a solution ... & that is what is
important at this stage.
iv) Act on your solution.
iv) Increase your inner strength for succeeding in ii), iii) & iv) above by meditation, non-attachment & physical exercise. Meditation & non-attachment will reduce the intensity of your disturbance. Through physical exercises you can sweat out your tension temporarily.
v) If during working hours you feel suddenly tense ... release this temporary attack by breathing exercises.
MorngGlori
Posted 2006-10-03 6:14 PM (#66117 - in reply to #65561)

Hi Rich,

There is an enormous amount of stress in our lives today. However, it sounds like you are getting stressed-out about being stressed-out!!

You may know yoga was originally an integral part of meditation - yoga strengthened and stretched muscles needed to accomodate sitting in meditation.

In any case, there is no question meditation can not only be a useful part of your yoga workout, it can also have a very beneficial effect on lowering your stress levels - both mentally and physically. For a quick run-down of some of the current research on the effects of meditation, take a look at this article: http://www.mindfullivingprograms.com/meditationresearch.php

You may also be interested in investigating a class called Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find a local class offered through a private teacher or a class at one of the 240 U.S. hospitals that offer the course as part of their suite of complementary medicine. To find out if there is a class near you, check out: http://www.umassmed.edu/cfm/mbsr/

If you do not have a local class, Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (as well as some other classes including live, online yoga) is offered in real-time through virtual classroom software where you can see, hear and verbally interact with the teacher (and the teacher can see you if you have a webcam). To find out more, check out: http://www.mindfullivingprograms.com/onlineschefees.php

Dealing with stress and anxiety is no fun - I know from first hand experience. Sending you friendly wishes for reduced anxiety and increased peace and joy...

Posted 2006-10-09 11:41 PM (#66752 - in reply to #65666)

You are welcome. Yoga does bring things to the forefront and it can be very scary depending on your stance relative to change.

There's some interesting written material by Joseph Chilton Pearce about the heart as a brain (or a control center for the life). I don't know that it would change things for you. If you're not going to the heart by choice then you are not going to the heart. I can merely tell you that things for me have been much richer in all the critical ways when I am able to act from the heart. But I must GO there. I can't simply say "this is from my heart". It has to be through connection with the heart, the heart chakra that these answers come.

I assure you your pelvis is in play. While it's a sexual center it is also the home of craving and desire and if there's any coveting or greed within you at all the pelvis is active.

I'd also like to comment on Devotee's reply.

you are trying to solve your problems the wrong way. You cannot close your eyes to your problems attain peace. Lord Krishna says, " You must do your duty as required ( one of the pre-requites for self-realisation)". Your duty now is to take care of your family which is being fulfilled through your job. Certainly, you are not having many options for a better job at least now. Then what to do ?

I do not use the term "wrong way" when dealing with students on the path. What youa re doing right now may very well be the lead in to where you need to be tomorrow. We don't have that information. So perhaps it's semantics but I'm going to disagree with a "wrong way" assessment.

Second, is the use of the Gita to and Krishnas discourse with Arjuna. It is true the point of the Gita is that action align with duty. And in the case of the Gita Arjuna is debating War with dear relatives now estranged. Krishna, in the view of some, is saying that Arjuna must engagin in this battle as it is his dharma, his purpose to do so.

As this applies to you, rather than Arjuna, you'd have to have a strong sense for what your dharma is. (the yogic dharma not the religious dharma). If you don't have that it would be problematic to live it. Perhaps it is supporting your family just as you are right now. My guess is, from the brief information you have given, is that you think your reason for being here is something more. I'd encourage you to pursue that AND maintain the integrities you have elsewwhere in your life.
sathya
Posted 2006-12-31 11:16 AM (#72537 - in reply to #65561)

I used to feel the same like you do ..to some extent.
I am writing here what answers that I have to that problem:

Though yoga is very powerful and it can help you tremendously, there are few things one could do in such situations .

1. You have to try and look at the cuases of anxiety in your life, like bad relationship with your boss or something like that or simply a helath issue. This means you have to take time out from your daily routine and think whats going wrong in your work place or home front or helath.
2. Once you identify the root cuases of your anxiety, think of a change in life style which might help. Make a reasonable time table to sort this out, don't be over ambitious, that can further stress you out.
3. Include yoga in your life style as a one of the importnat chages, find a good guru in your area.
4. Go slow don't hurry. inittially you will not be able to make out much difference that yoga has done to you and you may feel frustrated , everyone has this phase.
5.Just be steady and constantly try to think positively and slowly change your life style and increase the time that you put in to do yoga or meditation.
6. when you do yoga see that time is completely yours and don't do it in the morining if you don't feel fresh, do few asanas in the evening you can always shift the timings later once you are comfortable. if you are not feeling fresh that means you may not be having quality sleep.
7. Try yoganidra before sleeping.( Your stomach should not be full), consult a yoga expert, if my suggestion is wrong about this someone correct me.

All the best.
ellen
Posted 2007-01-02 9:52 PM (#72680 - in reply to #65720)

devotee - 2006-09-29 8:13 AM

Can you relax & get rid of your tension by doing Meditation, or Yogic exercises or Weight lifting ?
No. You can hide your tension for the time being but it would resurface. That is what is happening to you. Meditation, Yogic exercises & Weight lifting are tools & not the end ... use them "conciously" to make your life enjoyable. How to do it ? I have some suggestion that you may try :

i) List out all those factors which are troubling you. Be sure, you are not leaving any hidden factor.
ii) Take each factor one by one & accept that factor. i.e. stop hating that factor, stop reacting to that factor. Forgive that factor. Just accept that factor as it is. By doing that you are taking away that power from that factor by which it has the potency to trouble you. Mind it, all the factors are
recieving power only from you ( because you are not accepting, you are not forgiving - this resistence gives them the power to disturb you). And therefore, you only can stop the power-supply to them.
iii) Now, think what you can do to change the scenerio. We all have some solution for every problem. It may not appear to be the best one ... but it would be a solution ... & that is what is
important at this stage.
iv) Act on your solution.
iv) Increase your inner strength for succeeding in ii), iii) & iv) above by meditation, non-attachment & physical exercise. Meditation & non-attachment will reduce the intensity of your disturbance. Through physical exercises you can sweat out your tension temporarily.
v) If during working hours you feel suddenly tense ... release this temporary attack by breathing exercises.

I find this advice to be very helpful. Guess I just wanted it repeated one more time : ) Thank you.
tourist
Posted 2007-01-03 10:03 AM (#72712 - in reply to #72680)

Expert Yogi

ellen - I find the first bit of advice about writing it all down to be very useful My teachers are big on writing stuff and I like to write, so it comes rather easily to me, but for those who tend not to write, it can be a challenge. But if you ("you" generally, not specific to ellen or anyone else) give yourself time and permission to write EVERYTHING without judging, you can find out interesting stuff about yourself. It can be useful to give yourself a number that is quite high - like 12 reasons I am anxious - rather than 3 or 4. That makes you dig a bit into the less obvious reasons, which are often the ones we are trying to hide from ourselves And if you are afraid of someone else reading it, you can burn it, shred it, soak it in water and use it as garden mulch - whatever!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)