YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to Yoga and a question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga for BeginnersMessage format

spacecitypaula
Posted 2006-09-29 12:00 AM (#65702)
Subject: New to Yoga and a question

This is probably going to sound horrid to those of you that hae been practicing yoga for a while, but I started my practice with Yoga Zone DVDs (they seem to work well for me) a couple weeks ago. And I've added the Gaiam series Weight Conditioning DVD to my stash because it gives me some good ways to modify poses. Any way Yoga DVDs with walking is the way I have started out.

This afternoon I had an intense emotional reaction (lots of anger) towards several things - it was like they were being released and I was made aware of the anger I have. Is it common in Yoga to have emotions surface like this? I think it's happening because I am making a very conscious effort to connect with my body and take care of my body after years of neglect. But I really want to know if this is common.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
redrox
Posted 2006-09-29 1:15 AM (#65707 - in reply to #65702)
Subject: RE: New to Yoga and a question

Well one thing we certainly have in common is that we all decided to start somewhere! Even if it was something of a lark, like in my own case. At least your approach had some intention behind it! (You decided to start and presumably went through some kind of decision process as to which DVDs to start with.)

And I probably don't have enough experience or knowledge to answer your question very well. But I believe it is certainly within the range of possible potential experiences. Teachers have mentioned this in classes I have attended numerous times. To be aware that emotions can surface and be powerful and to just experience them and let them go. Often these comments seem to come in association with strong backbends/heart openers like ustrasana/camel and hip openers where we store a lot of stress and emotions. Did your videos include those kinds of postures at all?

Good luck and learning to connect with your body is a good thing. Not everything we connect with is warm and fuzzy though. Doesn't make it less worthwhile. Anyway, I'll quit babbling and let others add something reasonable!
spacecitypaula
Posted 2006-09-29 2:45 AM (#65712 - in reply to #65707)

I just got tired of not having any energy more than anywhere else. I didn't do much research when purchasing the DVD. I've had the gentle yoga DVD for a good 6 months. But I made a deal with myself to exercise every day for 3 weeks and I would get some software I wanted. I started with the Yourself! fitness Core DVD that McDonalds offered last spring.... and grabbed my yoga DVD on a whim one night when I didn't feel like doing the core DVD. I did it a couple more times and decided to go out last weekend and purchase something that's geared towards strength and conditioning. I managed to find the Yoga Zone DVD for that and the Gaiam DVD for weight loss.

The Gentle Yoga DVD definitely has some hip openers in it and the strength conditioning one does have camel in it. I was also really tired today because my boyfriend and I went on a 4 mile hike last night and it just wore me out. When I get tired I access my emotions more easily.
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-09-29 6:27 AM (#65719 - in reply to #65702)

It's very common, yoga work on psychological, emotional level as well. It's about "mind and body" remember

Don't worry, it's just offering you a different way of coping with something, and resolving and issue. Keep at it.

tourist
Posted 2006-09-29 10:07 AM (#65734 - in reply to #65712)

Expert Yogi

Hi Paula - being tired will pull that stuff out of you, for sure. And yes, everyone has to start somewhere with yoga. We won't get on your case until you make excuses for not keeping going or finding a teacher What happens over time is that you get to these situations where it becomes clear why you need a teacher. We can help to a certain extent, but it really, really helps to have someone to turn to regularly and in person to guide you. If you can find a teacher, please do. You will find that you will get a deeper understanding of yoga and yourself that way.

And getting in touch with your anger - oh, I've been there! My teachers often warn people to beware of "getting in touch with yourself" because it is hard, hard work and you do find those areas you thought yoga would not touch because they are not nice and sweet and "yoga-ish".
SCThornley
Posted 2006-09-29 12:41 PM (#65746 - in reply to #65702)

very common.

You see it now, you can not run from yourself.

Eventually you will notice that your emotional body needs just as much attention as your exercising body, as much as your intelligence body, ect.....

Yoga, for me, has been a way to balance all of these different parts of me into one smoothly functioning being.

When something is out of wack, I cannot deny it and continue to get through my entire yogasana practice....Soon, I hope that I'll deal with each and every issue to completion as they come up.

Everything in due time.

Keep Practicing, Stay interested, and Be Alive and Happy in knowing that you've started something Sacred.
samantha77
Posted 2006-09-29 6:02 PM (#65764 - in reply to #65702)

Extreme Veteran

I started with yoga zone too!  Well, actually, I first bought a really advanced Power Yoga video, and when I almost really hurt myself doing it the first time, I realized I had to start somewhere more beginner friendly.  Yoga Zone is great for that!  I used to do the 1/2 hr show that airs every morning, and there are some dvds that I still really like.  Just start where you feel comfortable, and definitely get to a class at some point. Congratulations on starting yoga!

Samantha

joscmt1
Posted 2006-09-30 12:05 AM (#65775 - in reply to #65702)

Congrats on connecting to yourself! There's been more than once that I have broken down in class due to emotions bubbling up and out of me.... for me, it's usually after a hip opening sequence or during savasana...

Posted 2006-10-01 3:17 AM (#65866 - in reply to #65702)

This is very common Paula and nothing to worry about.
Continue please.

namaste.
Nick
Posted 2006-10-01 8:28 AM (#65874 - in reply to #65712)

Hi Paula,
Just to echo everyone else, this is so common it's almost normal, if I feel too emotional, I just give up practicing, which is a bloke thing to do I guess (or an english thing ), so nothing unusual
Nick
redrox
Posted 2006-10-01 12:18 PM (#65898 - in reply to #65702)

Should it be a concern if you don't? Because honestly, I keep hearing these assurances in classes, but have never felt particularly emotional during any practice. And due to having a hole drilled in my frontal lobe a number of years ago, my emotions are now always much closer to the surface in general. I cry at the stupidest of sappy movies, my trigger point to anger is much closer, etc. Yoga practice though? Nothing really emotional there at all.

Posted 2006-10-01 1:40 PM (#65913 - in reply to #65898)

No this shouldn't be a concern either. The experience is an unique as the practitioners.
I've never cired in class though I have had emotional connection is some poses. And I've seen breakdown. It also depends on hwo thick your armour is. You imply yours is pretty thin. WHich is great, drilled hole or not:-)

redrox - 2006-10-01 9:18 AM

Should it be a concern if you don't? Because honestly, I keep hearing these assurances in classes, but have never felt particularly emotional during any practice. And due to having a hole drilled in my frontal lobe a number of years ago, my emotions are now always much closer to the surface in general. I cry at the stupidest of sappy movies, my trigger point to anger is much closer, etc. Yoga practice though? Nothing really emotional there at all.
redrox
Posted 2006-10-01 2:13 PM (#65916 - in reply to #65913)

I think the armor is pretty thick still. Just perhaps a bit perforated!
tourist
Posted 2006-10-01 3:21 PM (#65923 - in reply to #65916)

Expert Yogi

red - I have seen very few breakdowns in Iyengar classes. They do happen, but rarely. The closest I have come to one was during a home practice after some extreme issues that had to be suppressed for a few days. I like to look at the recuperative sequences in The Path to Holistic Health because I see that many of them do give the poses that tend to release emotions with some "strengthening" sorts of poses in between. Like letting off a pressure valve slowly
DownwardDog
Posted 2006-10-01 4:46 PM (#65937 - in reply to #65702)

Well from what I can tell it's pretty common in ashtanga. Quite a few people report becoming emotional a few weeks or so after starting, and then once in a while if you're feeling a bit fragile, it nudges it out of you.

I have to say that it's ashtangis who've reported these things, I've only heard 2 iyengis say this to me.

But then I'm a scientist and I do appreciate that this is ahrdly a scientific experiement so I may be wrong in saying it's mostly in ashtanga.

It's most likely to do with who you are. Your past, your experiences.

MorngGlori
Posted 2006-10-01 5:20 PM (#65940 - in reply to #65702)

Like meditation, yoga can bring up a lot of things. I would never recommend beginning meditation, or yoga, without the guidance of a live, experienced teacher. If you can't go to a reputable studio, check out http://www.mindfullivingprograms.com/about.php They have live yoga with an experienced teacher in their virtual classrooms. A compassionate yoga teacher can a do a world of good for you beyond stretching/strengthening your muscles...

Good luck!!
spacecitypaula
Posted 2006-10-02 11:50 AM (#65994 - in reply to #65702)

honestly I think it was a combo of things... I've been doing the yoga practice and my boyfriend and I have started walking (we go for a certain amount of time and cover some pretty good distances). I was really tired the day that all this happened. I think my relealization of "OH, THIS is anger." was the most interesting part of the whole experience.

I'm looking for a studio here in the Gulf coast area. There's one over by my boyfriend's place that I might check out. A friend recommended Dahn Yoga, but I thought it was a bit strange that they couldn't give me an exact cost of what a class would cost.

Edited by spacecitypaula 2006-10-02 11:50 AM
Nick
Posted 2006-10-02 11:54 AM (#65995 - in reply to #65994)

Hey Paula,
For heaven's sake stay clear of Dahn-theres a thread here where oyu can hear some people defending it-but it's a cult, it's not yoga as we know it-do a search and you'll find a load of negative stuff about it-don't listen to people who love it-they've been sucked in.
Nick
spacecitypaula
Posted 2006-10-02 1:01 PM (#66001 - in reply to #65702)

oh I already did the research. That's why I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Nick
Posted 2006-10-02 1:58 PM (#66010 - in reply to #66001)

Hi Paula,
Phew-good call
Nick
joscmt
Posted 2006-10-03 6:26 PM (#66120 - in reply to #65702)

They keep leaving flyers in my restaurant despite our protestations... I hate to be wasteful, but I chuck 'em in the trash when I see them.. maybe they'll get the point another way..
Nick
Posted 2006-10-04 2:39 AM (#66165 - in reply to #66120)

Hi Marylisa,
Make them do the washing up
Nick
joscmt
Posted 2006-10-04 9:21 AM (#66198 - in reply to #65702)

That'll keep 'em away for sure! Ha! God bless the dishwashers of the world!
Miabella704
Posted 2006-10-04 10:46 PM (#66262 - in reply to #65702)

What part of the Gulf coast are you in? I'm in the Sarasota, Florida area. I may be able to help you find a good teacher/studio. More and more have been popping up in the last few years.
spacecitypaula
Posted 2006-10-06 9:12 AM (#66434 - in reply to #65702)

Mirabella:

I'm in the Houston Metro Area. I found the Texas yoga site but there's only one studio in the area where I live (SE side by NASA).

The good news is that after not doing any yoga for the last 5 days. I did 40 minutes last night and managed to touch the floor.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)