YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Opinion?????
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2006-10-07 7:59 AM (#66541)
Subject: Opinion?????

Expert Yogi

Probably going to say I should stay to myself but has been on my mind.
I teach at two large corporation gyms (I won't use names here). The other day I had to sub in for another instructor (believe it or not, it was a strip tease class, ugh!!!). The class before mine was Extreme Yoga. I arrived at the gym early so I watched the second half of the class though a one sided mirror window. Nice, smooth class.

It is mandatory to write the number of students in a log after your class with your signature. They always tell all teachers and instructors to "NOT INFLATE CLASS NUMBERS". Well, I went to sign out and I saw the yoga teacher before my class inflated her class numbers. (She might read this and know I'm talking about her) I find that offensive for a yoga teacher.

I know I should probably let it go. Her karma will follow her but it bothers me that someone who presents themselves in a spiritual light and should be practicing the Yamas and Niyamas would blatantly lie. I lost respect for her.

I struggle whether I should let management know but I know it's not my position to say anything.

What would you do????

Mish
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-10-07 8:30 AM (#66544 - in reply to #66541)
Subject: RE: Opinion?????

I honestly think I'd narc kiddo--first to her that you know she lied and then management. We can debate right & wrong till we're nuts--fact is, it's wrong. We could consider the reasons she may be doing it--needs the money, management has screwed her over, etc., etc. Don't care.
My number one reason for letting her know the jig is up is that it's yet another example of unprofessional behavior that I find permeates the yoga teacher profession and taints teachers trying to do right. If we don't at least attempt to police ourselves, somebody else will. When I tell people I'm a yoga teacher, I don't want them rolling their eyes and dismissing it as not a real job.
jonnie
Posted 2006-10-07 8:36 AM (#66545 - in reply to #66541)

There are three things you can do: repress, express or release.

What would I do? If it bothered me alot, I'd address it with the instructor first and ask them if they are aware of what they have done. Maybe they just can't count!
tourist
Posted 2006-10-07 12:04 PM (#66554 - in reply to #66545)

Expert Yogi

This is one problem that comes from paying teachers by the number of students in a class. Why doesn't this company do spot checks? I could argue for or again turning her in depending on my mood....
yogabrian
Posted 2006-10-07 1:20 PM (#66558 - in reply to #66541)

Mishoga,

This used to happen all the time in the gyms I worked and it drove me nuts. However, it does come back to them. Eventually the group ex director will get hip or check in on the class. More times then not, those dishonest about numbers get canned.

I wouldn't do anything. Let the instructor hang themselves. You don't have do anything and Karma will work it's magic.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-07 1:42 PM (#66561 - in reply to #66541)

mishoga - 2006-10-07 7:59 AM

Probably going to say I should stay to myself but has been on my mind.
I teach at two large corporation gyms (I won't use names here). The other day I had to sub in for another instructor (believe it or not, it was a strip tease class, ugh!!!). The class before mine was Extreme Yoga. I arrived at the gym early so I watched the second half of the class though a one sided mirror window. Nice, smooth class.

It is mandatory to write the number of students in a log after your class with your signature. They always tell all teachers and instructors to "NOT INFLATE CLASS NUMBERS". Well, I went to sign out and I saw the yoga teacher before my class inflated her class numbers. (She might read this and know I'm talking about her) I find that offensive for a yoga teacher.

I know I should probably let it go. Her karma will follow her but it bothers me that someone who presents themselves in a spiritual light and should be practicing the Yamas and Niyamas would blatantly lie. I lost respect for her.

I struggle whether I should let management know but I know it's not my position to say anything.

What would you do????

Mish

What I shall do is: I shall take the other teacher for a lunch treat, or at least Starbucks Coffee, or Cold Zone Icecreame. Then make her totally comfortable, and try to know why she has to inflate the numbers. This is because:

Actual activity in any Karma is NOT important. It is not karma at all. What is karma is intention behind the activity.

You might find that her intention is very divine.
mishoga
Posted 2006-10-07 3:43 PM (#66567 - in reply to #66541)

Expert Yogi

Neel, I doubt her intention is divine. If your numbers are too low they cancel your class out. But she has to know I was signing the book right after her and I saw how many students were in the class. I just don't understand why unless it has to do with intelligence rather than intention.

What I'd like to ask her is if she believes she practices satya, but of course I won't.

I'm going to leave it but I have to say immediately she lost my respect. I know I should not be like that but it is kind of a feeling the permiates (I know, my spelling) my entire being. I can handle a lot of things about people but I detest dishonesty. I associate it with integrity.

Mish
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-07 4:34 PM (#66572 - in reply to #66567)

mishoga - 2006-10-07 3:43 PM

Neel, I doubt her intention is divine. If your numbers are too low they cancel your class out. But she has to know I was signing the book right after her and I saw how many students were in the class. I just don't understand why unless it has to do with intelligence rather than intention.

What I'd like to ask her is if she believes she practices satya, but of course I won't.

I'm going to leave it but I have to say immediately she lost my respect. I know I should not be like that but it is kind of a feeling the permiates (I know, my spelling) my entire being. I can handle a lot of things about people but I detest dishonesty. I associate it with integrity.

Mish

Well, then I would respect you for that. But, since you asked 'what would you do', I stated what exactly I would do. And, reardless of my disrespect for her, I shall still love her.

Posted 2006-10-07 4:41 PM (#66574 - in reply to #66572)

Neel--you're getting pretty darn mellow in your old age--I say shine the light of truth, justice and the American way on her deceiptfulness!
mishoga
Posted 2006-10-07 5:18 PM (#66578 - in reply to #66541)

Expert Yogi

"I shall still love her"

Neel, that's awesome. You're inspirational!

Mish

Posted 2006-10-07 5:51 PM (#66582 - in reply to #66541)

All this is chasing the tail.
You can find some other perspective in this. For example, my first thought was not "what should Mish do to handle this liar". Rather it was "Mish only saw the last half of class. Perhaps five students left early, before Mish arrived". Do those students get logged? I would log them. Granted that scenario has happened only once or twice. But I do't get paid by the head. They just ask that we log numbers. And I do.

So this is a posibility. I'm saying there isn't enough evidence for ten posters to channel energy into how to resolve a problem that may npt be any problem at all.

But the instructor may be inflating his/her numbers. So what. Is it your studio? Is this person your student or in your employ? Whatever the circumstance I don't think you need to be so reactive, so incensed.

Is it the way YOU want to live. No. Fine. Acceptable. Perhaps even honorable. But we don't live in order to be "honored" by others. We make the choices we make about living our "way" becasue it's how WE want to live. This other person has made choices Mish about the ways in which they want to live and you've said (in a recent post I believe) you don't judge. So respect that teacherrs choices and move along. I am certain you have more pertinent firs to put out closer to "home".

Neither you nor I would do this inflating. Fine. We chose to align our lives with the Sutras and this other person may not. It muct be okay this choosing of theirs. Now if you open a studio I would consider not hiring this person based on thsi experience but short of that, let it go.

Posted 2006-10-07 6:55 PM (#66589 - in reply to #66541)

I'm not liking all this "ah, it could be...,' "ah, let's love them anyway,"...c'mon folks--it's not a matter of degree--wrong must be stopped in it's tracks. This lackadaisacal attitude of it's no big deal and the universe will right the wrong is rubbish. Smite her Mish. Be our champion for good. Give me some hope girl.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-07 10:46 PM (#66602 - in reply to #66541)

Darling Bruce and Mish:

Now, let us look at it closely. I agree with Mish, you and all and all their opinions. But, why Mishy is asking this question to others. She noticed something and now she has her own feelings or opinons which come from her background, knowledge, philosophy, whatever. Why is she now asking others 'what would you do'? That means she wants to know what others would do and what their logic is behind that.

My logic is : a) meet the girl in confidence b) try to know why she is doing it. Then you shall be able to decide what your next action should be. c) If you do not wish to do this, then do what you feel is good.

But, be clear and be happy.

I like Purnayoga's thought that it is possible that several students joined the class and they left before Mishy came. Now, if that is true, and then Mishy reports to the management in a hurry, and then the girl is able to get her students to prove that they left early, that can be embarrassing. Not to me, but for some. If I am manager in this case, I shall excuse Mishy and inform her to find it before reporting next time. And, that is exactly same as my previous opinion.

And, I do not see any reason not to love anyone, including Sadam Hussain, with the hope that they shall create happy world at some time.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-07 11:05 PM (#66606 - in reply to #66602)

Expert Yogi

NB, are you sure your're not Tibetan???
mishoga
Posted 2006-10-08 7:26 AM (#66617 - in reply to #66541)

Expert Yogi

Purna, I would like to think students left her class midway but I doubt it. Maybe, but I sincerely doubt it. I teach there too. It's a serious gym with a client base of people who love to workout often. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Neel, I did ask because I do want to know what you all would do. I want to tell on her like a little girl wanting to tell the teacher that Marylou took an extra cookie, but I am conflicted. Part of me says "Mish, mind your own business, it will come back to her".
Yes, I did want to hear from all here as I respect your opinions, sometimes more than my own.

Mish

Posted 2006-10-08 4:38 PM (#66653 - in reply to #66617)

I would effort to deal with my feelings about this person getting "ahead" of me through dishonest means.

mishoga - 2006-10-08 4:26 AM

Purna, I would like to think students left her class midway but I doubt it. Maybe, but I sincerely doubt it. I teach there too. It's a serious gym with a client base of people who love to workout often. I could be wrong but I doubt it.

Neel, I did ask because I do want to know what you all would do. I want to tell on her like a little girl wanting to tell the teacher that Marylou took an extra cookie, but I am conflicted. Part of me says "Mish, mind your own business, it will come back to her".
Yes, I did want to hear from all here as I respect your opinions, sometimes more than my own.

Mish
joscmt
Posted 2006-10-08 7:52 PM (#66665 - in reply to #66541)

I found this interesting explanation of satya- maybe something to think about (unless this website is full of hooey- I'm just beginning to learn about all of this..)

"Satya (Truthfulness)
Satya means "to speak the truth," yet it is not always desirable to speak the truth on all occasions, for it could harm someone unnecessarily. We have to consider what we say, how we say it, and in what way it could affect others. If speaking the truth has negative consequences for another, then it is better to say nothing. Satya should never come into conflict with our efforts to behave with ahimsa. The Mahabharata, the great Indian epic, says: "Speak the truth which is pleasant. Do not speak unpleasant truths. Do not lie, even if the lies are pleasing to the ear. That is the eternal law, the dharma." Please note that this does not mean speak lie. Keeping quiet and saying lies are two different things. "

from this website (sorry, I don't know how to make it a link)
http://yoga.iloveindia.com/limbs-of-yoga/yama.html

maybe it is just better to let it be....frustrating as it is. In my 12-step program, we always talk about keeping our own side of the street clean and not to look at others. I'd say as long as you are doing what you need to do for your job... her "cheating" will come back and bite her on the butt..
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-09 12:30 AM (#66681 - in reply to #66617)

mishoga - 2006-10-08 7:26 AM

Mish

But, darling Mishy: Is looking at the number written by another teacher your job? Why would you as one teacher would look into how many students are reported by any other teacher? Now that you already did it and have a doubt of what you should do, that very girl is the only one who can actually tell you what is in her mind while reporting that number. Before knowing that logic, all other thoughts are 'avidyaa'.

Posted 2006-10-09 2:54 AM (#66684 - in reply to #66665)

It's not hooey, though some web sites well intentioned ARE hooey. And this may just be one group's look at the precept of Satya. It IS truth but the interpretations may vary.

It is also true that we should manifest ahimsa into our lives.

I'll just give one example from teacher training. My teacher critiques our teaching style. He covers numerous elements. He could, in many instances say nothing, not speak the truth because it may damage. But that damage is ego and we're asked to leave ego at the door upon arrival. So we are told about out meter, our language, our vision. And some do have to adjust to hearing it as we've crafted a world where no one really says the truth.

We are there to BE better yoga teachers and in that case have consented to b taught. Now if he goes around the city telling this to every teacher he sees, well that's a completely different animal.

So this bit about not speaking the truth so others will not be hurt...I think we should be mindful, all ways, and the speaking of truth should not be violent for then it's very nature violates ahimsa. Is bruising the ego synonymous with hurting feelings??? That is the question.

joscmt - 2006-10-08 4:52 PM

I found this interesting explanation of satya- maybe something to think about (unless this website is full of hooey- I'm just beginning to learn about all of this..)

"Satya (Truthfulness)
Satya means "to speak the truth," yet it is not always desirable to speak the truth on all occasions, for it could harm someone unnecessarily. We have to consider what we say, how we say it, and in what way it could affect others. If speaking the truth has negative consequences for another, then it is better to say nothing. Satya should never come into conflict with our efforts to behave with ahimsa. The Mahabharata, the great Indian epic, says: "Speak the truth which is pleasant. Do not speak unpleasant truths. Do not lie, even if the lies are pleasing to the ear. That is the eternal law, the dharma." Please note that this does not mean speak lie. Keeping quiet and saying lies are two different things. "

from this website (sorry, I don't know how to make it a link)
http://yoga.iloveindia.com/limbs-of-yoga/yama.html

maybe it is just better to let it be....frustrating as it is. In my 12-step program, we always talk about keeping our own side of the street clean and not to look at others. I'd say as long as you are doing what you need to do for your job... her "cheating" will come back and bite her on the butt..

Edited by purnayoga 2006-10-09 2:55 AM
mishoga
Posted 2006-10-09 6:50 AM (#66692 - in reply to #66681)

Expert Yogi

kulkarnn - 2006-10-09 12:30 AM

Mish

But, darling Mishy: Is looking at the number written by another teacher your job? Why would you as one teacher would look into how many students are reported by any other teacher? Now that you already did it and have a doubt of what you should do, that very girl is the only one who can actually tell you what is in her mind while reporting that number. Before knowing that logic, all other thoughts are 'avidyaa'.

I couldn't help but notice the number because it was right above where I had to write my number of students. I always take notice of numbers so I know where I am with enrollment. This gym has low class numbers (because it's relatively new to the area). It not because I'm nosey.

Mish

Posted 2006-10-09 11:21 AM (#66704 - in reply to #66541)

i inflate numbers in some of my classes. one of the gyms i work for says they will cancel a class if you consistantly get fewer than 3 students. i teach three times a week there and i have a dedicated following.

for the most part, my classes well excede this minimum. but, during the summer months, during the beginning and end of the school year, and during the holiday season, it's 'hit or miss' for most students. while i've watned to leave this position behind for a number of years now, i do not because the students can't afford alternatives (paying for three classes/week for example--even in my home classes which are modestly priced), and they want classes at their gym and they want me.

on a number of occassions, the 'boss' has tried to fire me for no reason ("i want to try another style of yoga in that slot") and the students went ape-poopy on him. they complained until he rehires me and they threaten to leave the gym, etc, if he doesn't maintain my classes.

so when the numbers game came up, he said i had to have at least three. i told my students--and often they'll coordinate to make sure that 3 people are there. (usually i have 10+ so it's not an issue). But when there is only one or two--like last wednesday nite which was parent's nite at the high school and half of my students have kids in that high school, two were out of town on business, and one's baby was sick--i'll go ahead and write that i have 3 so that the boss won't get weird and try to replace me and we have to go through that drama with the students, me, the boss. . .blah blah blah.

i don't care about the job or the money--i do care about my students getting what they want. So, i'll inflate to 3 if i need to. it's not that big of a deal IMO.

does this qualify as "a divine reason" that neel mentioned?

i assert that it is lying, but since i don't care about the numbers and i don't care about anyone else's numbers, i don't really think about it.

i should add though that no one else (no other teachers) see these numbers because we write them on our timesheet for payroll. in the past, the fitness director would look at them to determine the schedule for the next semester or the abbreviated schedule for the summer based on numbers. But since she left, no one looks at them--not even payroll. So this may make a difference. and honestly, when the FD looked at them, she was very team oriented and asked us first how we wanted to build a class, or if we should move it, or what have you. So, it wasn't like "oh, for the last three weeks, you had two people; you're fired!" but rather "i notice that your numbers are down--do you want to change the time slot, should we retitle the class, do you want to do an advertising blitz throughout the gym, etc?" and that was cool. But she actually used the numbers.

no one uses the numbers now, and the boss/owner is rather capricious about everything. i've been fired and rehired 7 times in one weekend. i was out of town, gave him notice, everything under the sun i could do to let him know--no contact. and then i get home late Sun Evening (midnite) from my grandmothers (in washington state), and i get 7 messages from him: you're fired (no reason); you're hired (no reason); you're fired (agitated); you're hired (really agitated); you're fired (angry and threatening); you're hired (frustrated); and 'you're fired if you don't call me as soon as you get this message (angry). So i called him at midnite on sunday nite (he was't happy, but it was as soon as i'd gotten the message). And then he said "oh yeah, that's why you didn't show up--you told me you were out of town (his reason for initially firing me was that i didn't show up, then students went ape poopy, and the cycle stated.

so, the number 3 keeps the peace.

Edited by zoebird 2006-10-09 11:29 AM
danielac
Posted 2006-10-09 11:59 AM (#66715 - in reply to #66541)

HI Mish - remember me from the tennis center? How are you? I PM'd you!! Really tough call and I have experienced the same scenarios in both gyms and yoga studios. As a fellow New Yorker here is my take: Most gyms in NY don't pay per person. It's a flat fee.. I don't like to be paranoid but in my experience there was an alterior motive - it is their way of building their little empire. I never said anything but there were times I wish I did. Many times, when teachers do this it is because they are looking for more work/more classes. They can present their attendance numbers to management. If their numbers are the highest among their peers - they get more classes. If it is a gym chain then not only can they get more classes at that site, but their name will spread to the other locations... Hope this makes sense. If you really love your students and classes at this gym, I suggest you say something. If not then, just carry on with your classes there and allow the universe to take care of this un-yoga teacher.. It's tough here in New York and I often challenge so many who align themselves in our community. There is no rule of conduct and I think some of the stuff that goes on is much worse than dealing with the doggie dog corporate world.. Good Luck!!!
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-09 12:16 PM (#66718 - in reply to #66692)

mishoga - 2006-10-09 6:50 AM

kulkarnn - 2006-10-09 12:30 AM

Mish

I couldn't help but notice the number because it was right above where I had to write my number of students. I always take notice of numbers so I know where I am with enrollment. This gym has low class numbers (because it's relatively new to the area). It not because I'm nosey.

Mish

Yes Dear Mishy. I did not mean you were nosey. What I meant was that after you saw the numbers of another teachers, you analysed in some way. That is what I mean by seeing. (In Yoga Philosophy, ... Shrimad Bhagawadgita... this term is used. yaH pashyati sa pashyati. pashyati means 'sees'. But, in philosophy means 'understands or knows'.). And, as the above post by Zoebird(?) states one of such reasons for the number theory! But, do not worry. I have no misunderstanding of you, or the one who inflated the numbers!
Cyndi
Posted 2006-10-09 3:05 PM (#66731 - in reply to #66718)

Expert Yogi

You know there is such a thing called "skillfull means". If the woman is inflating her numbers, perhaps she has a dam good reason, why does it always have to be "right" or "wrong". Why is it that some people have the need to be ALWAYS Right??? If everyone were minding there own business there would not be a need to tell on another person, or try to "micro-manage" everything. I think people need to be able to "evolve" on their own. This is the reason I like the Indian and Tibetan culture so much, it allows you the FREEDOM to make your mistakes or whatevers, on your own without interference. Like someone mentioned previously, let the "magic" of karma work by itself. Good grief. This is the reason I don't play around too much in society and the reason I refuse to be a YOGA teacher in this particular society. The old American way is very much outdated and it is a failing system. Sorry, I like the old way and the old cultures. I also like the idea of "natural" justice...its a much better system, because this is how one truly learns the true nature of oneself....things aren't always what they seem. Even something as simple as inflating numbers. I think overall it is totally unfair to sit and judge a person when you don't have the friggin balls to confront her about it first. We can sit here all day long and speculate can't we??? Facts are really important, so are face to face confrontations. It looks like a face to face is long over due right now. You should do that first, then come back and discuss what your next plan of action should be, for yourself of course. Only you can make up your mind about how you want to handle something. Personally, I mind my own business, that way others won't have any business meddling in mine. Cause this is one chick who does not always do things by the book...especially by society's measures....but, even still, I am a better ciitizen than those who think they are, and the ones who do everything by society's book.
JackieCat
Posted 2006-10-09 5:05 PM (#66733 - in reply to #66541)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Mish-

I would just let it go and, as others have stated, let karma do its thing. It sounds like it doesn't really have any negative impact on your class, so it's probably best to just let her do her thing and you do yours. I too work for a large corporate chain of gyms and I see the same thing a lot, and not just with yoga instructors. It bugs me too but I try to just stay focused on my own stuff, no matter what anyone else is doing (as long as it's not harming me or is malicious).

This is something that I struggle with, so I identify with your post. We can't all be perfect, although some of us certainly seem to think we've come close.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)