YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

dizziness
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

Amy
Posted 2006-10-10 2:11 PM (#66782)
Subject: dizziness

Do you ever feel quite dizzy after your practice? I just start to do some classes and feel quite dizzy afterwards, even the day after still feeling dizzy and a little tired too...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-10-10 5:09 PM (#66802 - in reply to #66782)
Subject: RE: dizziness

Amy - 2006-10-10 2:11 PM

Do you ever feel quite dizzy after your practice? I just start to do some classes and feel quite dizzy afterwards, even the day after still feeling dizzy and a little tired too...

1. Stop the practice which makes you dizzy.

2. Take up the practice which does not make you dizzy.

3. And, stop analysing what the dizziness is about until you do 2. for 6 months.

DownwardDog
Posted 2006-10-10 5:31 PM (#66807 - in reply to #66782)

See your doctor immediately.

poochie
Posted 2006-10-10 5:50 PM (#66811 - in reply to #66782)

I agree that you might mention it to your doctor. After I had done Bikram for about a two months, I started to have dizzy symptoms. Turns out, I had reduced my blood pressure (through yoga), so it was overkill to continue to take my blood pressure meds.

So sometimes dizziness can be a sign of good things.

See a doctor.

Also, I do think some postures can make you a little dizzy anyway, Camel always makes me a little "light headed", but I know to expect it, and I feel fine afterwards.
Nick
Posted 2006-10-10 6:00 PM (#66814 - in reply to #66782)

Hi Amy,
Maybe best seek medical advice, as stated here-things like posture can effect blood pressure, and if there is an existing abnormal blood pressure, sometimes all the postures of yoga may have an effect. Also, the dizziness can be attributed to what makes people car sick-conflicting visual and vestibular information leads to car-sickness. Because the yoga postures involve your body and head being in positions that give information which the brain cannot handle, dizziness can result-do you have any pre-existing vestibular problems?
Also make sure the postures are not putting too much strain on the neck.

Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-10-11 10:32 AM (#66829 - in reply to #66814)

Expert Yogi

Or you are breathing incorrectly - either too much, not enough or not in the correct way. What has your teacher said about it?
zenergy47
Posted 2006-10-12 12:01 AM (#66930 - in reply to #66814)

Nick, curious to get more informaion on the vestibular stuff you are talking about... i was so extremelly nauseaus after taking a class the other day.. but i couldnt figure out if it was the penanut butter and jelly snadwich i ate so fast after class or was it class???? and this thread just got me thinking..

Nick - 2006-10-10 6:00 PM

Hi Amy,
Maybe best seek medical advice, as stated here-things like posture can effect blood pressure, and if there is an existing abnormal blood pressure, sometimes all the postures of yoga may have an effect. Also, the dizziness can be attributed to what makes people car sick-conflicting visual and vestibular information leads to car-sickness. Because the yoga postures involve your body and head being in positions that give information which the brain cannot handle, dizziness can result-do you have any pre-existing vestibular problems?
Also make sure the postures are not putting too much strain on the neck.

Nick
Nick
Posted 2006-10-12 3:27 AM (#66936 - in reply to #66930)

Hi there Deb,
This is not a diagnosis!! In this thread, as in many others, what you will often see is what is called a differential diagnosis i.e back pain can have any one of a number of causes, from sinister to relatively benign (another idea for another book-"differential diagnosis for Yoga teachers" hmm).
Rehabilitation for people with vestibular pathology begins by getting them to sit down, and turning the head from side to side. In the most extreme cases even this may be too much-intense nausea and dizziness may result. The objective is too cause a mild reaction to the exercise-slight nausea. Then you do it again the next day, the exercises get more challenging, progressing perhaps to standing on one leg with the eyes closed, etc. You can see that this exercise progression is mirrored in yoga classes-yoga positions involve turning the head in a 'multi-planar, multi-dimensional training environs,' and one which gets progressivley more difficult. Like a child in a car, exposing oneself repeatedly to this environment will build up neuron synapses and those neurons which help us deal with these issues in our brain. It's a wonderful thing really, demonstrating the plasticity of the human nervous system. So if it is due to a vestibular deficiency (which might be completely normal) that you are getting sick, with proper coaching and time, the feelings should subside. Mind you, i wouldn't expect to be taken up in an F-16 and be plunged into a nose-dive at 25,000 feet and still be walking at the end of it-gibbering maybe, not walking

Nick

ps another book-Yoga for jet fighter pilots
zenergy47
Posted 2006-10-12 8:14 AM (#66943 - in reply to #66782)

Nick, I know it is not a diagnosis.. i was just interested in hearing mnore about waht your were talking about.. i would never think to get a diagnosis ona forum board but more insite as what are causes of different ailignments
thanks for the info
Nick
Posted 2006-10-12 10:31 AM (#66965 - in reply to #66943)

Hi Deb,
Hi. Sorry, I was just distancing myself from assuming too much
I have one woman in my classes who is in a right state. She has always suffered from migrane, but for a couple of years has suffered from what was orginally thought to be Meniere's disease, which affects the vestibular system-sufferers are often also migrane sufferers. She spends days being sick, feeling nauseous and dizzy-all symptoms of car-sickness-imagine that for a whole day. Not good, to put it mildly. But through determination, she has continued to keep fit, and can now get through a short astanga class without feelling bad-quite the opposite. She uses her illness to detect which balances and postures are going to be problematic.

In this way, she uses the class as an advanced form of rehabilitation-not just sitting on a chair and turning the head, but balancining and doing postures, so that the head is turning at different speeds in different dimensions-very powerful stuff, but you have to be vigilant-and ready, or able to modify the practice.
The good thing is that everyone can benefit from this way of practice. I often teach it as a by-product of drishti-eye focus to maintain neck posture.

Take care

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)