YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

lumbar stablization routines
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

utpal
Posted 2006-10-11 4:22 PM (#66875)
Subject: lumbar stablization routines

Can anyone suggest yogic routines for Lumbar Stablization? I am in rehab right now and want to get back my work outs ASAP.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
utpal
Posted 2006-10-11 4:23 PM (#66876 - in reply to #66875)
Subject: RE: lumbar stablization routines

i am doing the exercises mentioned on http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/17/24/13.html
Nick
Posted 2006-10-12 3:48 AM (#66937 - in reply to #66876)
Subject: RE: lumbar stablization routines

Hi there,
These are the exercises I recommend, although if you look at the latest research ,using the stability ball may not be a good idea-i think Leibenson is mis-quoting or misunderstanding McGill's work. The object should be to carry the good work you do in your exercises into yoga postures-no yoga posture will be good for you unless you use the abs in the same manner which the rehab exercises are trying to facilitate.
just a note on the stability ball crunch-the rectus muscle is made up of pockets of muscle, not like the biceps, which stretches from the shoulder to the elbow-so if the rectus muscle was designed to enable us to do a crunch, then it would be designed like the bicep-so obviously, it was designed to do something else. Stability balls may train the rectus muscle completely non-functionally, because the range of motion that the muscle goes through is even greater than on the floor. As you can imagine, this won't go down to well with all the PT's and physios who have been using the stability balls as the holy grail for a number of years. I personally think that the ball is a fun piece of equipment that allows people with sometimes modest amounts of training to sound clever, so they are going to be fairly upset when it's found these devices are questionable-not always, but quite often. Find out about the plank exercise if you really want something that trains the abs functionally-works much better than the ball.
Take care
Nick
pamela
Posted 2006-10-12 8:46 AM (#66945 - in reply to #66875)
Subject: RE: lumbar stablization routin

Hi Utpal,

"A Practice for the Lower Back" in the book "Yoga for Wellness" by Gary Kraftsow has a nice sequence for stabilizing the pelvic-lumbar relationship. It also has a "Practice for the Sacrum" which could be useful for you.

What is your reason for rehab?... and what kind of workouts are you anxious to return to?

Pamela
Yoga in Grand Junction, Colorado
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)