YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

warrior I
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

michelle305
Posted 2006-11-08 3:31 PM (#68998)
Subject: warrior I

I have a horrible time keeping pelvis forward in Warrior I, any suggestions? I also cannot keep pelvis straight for gate pose, (while stretching toward side). Any thing to help, besides wall?!?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
meixinthai
Posted 2006-11-09 3:22 AM (#69028 - in reply to #68998)
Subject: RE: warrior I

Warrior 1 (A)
These are what my teachers taught us:

1) the both side of the hips must facing in front,
2) make both sides of your shoulder facing in front too,
3) the front leg should bend til 90 degree, your knee cannot surpass your toes, spread your both legs bigger if it does.

i'll suggest you to practise in front of the mirror, to look at your posture and correct it.

Let's say now your right leg is in front, and left is at the back. Use the strength of your left leg to push your left hip/ pelvis forward.

You might want to try something further, to push your right knee more towards the right without moving your right foot. I found it helpful to make your pelvis facing straight in front.

Do not feel discourage !!

Posted 2006-11-09 9:17 AM (#69043 - in reply to #68998)

check the positioning of your back foot. if the toes are pointing forward at an angle (not straight ahead, but perhaps a 45 or 60 degree angle from the back line of the mat), then this will help square your hips.

also, shortening the stance (the 90 degree angle of the front leg isn't as important as the positioning of the hips IMO) will help you square the hips also.

there are other suggestions that i have, but they're hard to communicate online.
tourist
Posted 2006-11-09 10:17 AM (#69048 - in reply to #69043)

Expert Yogi

Nick has written a lot about this pose. I'm not sure where to find it, but he has some very good insight - maybe a search for his posts will get you something. Basically, the final result is to have both hips forward in the final pose, so this is what you are aiming for. But for most people, this is not immediately available to them, so you need to let the back foot release a bit and not be pointed directly forward, as zoebird says.
ollie
Posted 2006-11-10 12:28 PM (#69112 - in reply to #68998)

Here is something I read from the book "American Yoga": sometimes one can get the proper hip position by having the back foot go a bit "outside" of where it is in the classical position.

Classical: as one draws a line from the heel of he front foot under the body, one puts the back foot so that the arch of the foot is on that line.

Adjusted: (assuming that the left foot is the forward foot): move the back foot slightly to the right of that line.

Posted 2006-11-12 4:55 PM (#69213 - in reply to #68998)

I suggest you do not practice in front of a mirror as it stimulates ego practice.
I'm not sure what your aversion is to using a wall but that's a whole other conversation.

What is more important in this pose is that you draw the pit of the abdomen up so as to protect your sacrum and that you do not do this pose as a backbend.
While one side of the pelvis does come around to face forward (the pelvis of the back leg) the opposite side of the pelvis moves back. Both of these actions are appropriate to virabhadrasana one.

It is misconception that both sides of the pelvis are equally distant from the front wall (assuming youare facing the front wall in V1). You may, in order to find this pelvic action, lift the back heel and/or keep your hands on your hips and use them for stability and as a catalyst for the movemment in question.
Nick
Posted 2006-11-13 8:16 AM (#69234 - in reply to #69048)

Hi all,
Glenda, I'll take that as the ulimate compliment, coming as it does from an Iyengar teacher!
Because of the past posts, I won't go into the pose too much, but my observation is that most students flex the pelvis too much-try putting the index finger on the brim of the pelvis at the front, bend the front knee, and you will probably find that the brim of the pelvis drop forwards and down-the pelvis is over-flexed.

Now try to lift the pelvis up before you bend the knee-you should find that this also extends the back leg further, which is good. As you proceed to bend the front knee, the posterior tilt of the pelvis will become harder to maintain-only bend the knee as far as you are able to maintain the pelvic tilt. You will probably find that your previous foot and leg positions are now detrimental to you attaining good posture-modify the foot position to compliment what you are doing at the pelvis.

When done properly, the brim of the pelvis is pulled away from the front of the front leg, and away from the front (or inside) of the back leg. Go to a class and you will see that most students would actually pinch their index finger between the brim of the pelvis and the front of the bent leg. This should also help to provide adequate stability through the sacro-iliac and lumbo-sacral joints, helping in turn to stabilize and provide better movement opportunites for the body as a whole-much better shoulder motion is available with a spine that is elevated by the hip action.

The other great thing is that now the front foot is pulled backwards, and the back foot is pulled forwards, meaning that you are held in a state of tension through the core muscles of the torso. This means that the joints of the legs are better protected, and the muscles that cross the joints get a better workout-the posture becomes a therapeutic exercise.
Hope that's not too long-winded, like I said, I was trying to keep it short
Take care
Nick

I found this picture which was taken on the spur of the moment, as you can see, I (who should have known better), is making a spectacuarly rubbish attempt at this posture-but you can see that I am keeping the front of my hip away from the bent leg. just look at that joint, rather than the rest of it, ok!!

Edited by Nick 2006-11-13 8:21 AM

(RIMG0268.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RIMG0268.JPG (47KB - 150 downloads)

Posted 2006-11-13 9:31 AM (#69239 - in reply to #68998)

Nick, is that a can of Redman tabacky in your left front pocket or are you just happy to see us?
Nick
Posted 2006-11-13 9:35 AM (#69240 - in reply to #69239)

Hi Bruce,
It's a yoga teacher's cosmetic groin region enhancer-available by request-or use a sock

nick
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-11-13 9:41 AM (#69243 - in reply to #68998)

michelle305 - 2006-11-08 3:31 PM

I have a horrible time keeping pelvis forward in Warrior I, any suggestions? I also cannot keep pelvis straight for gate pose, (while stretching toward side). Any thing to help, besides wall?!?

The answer to your question depends on why you can not keep the pelvis forward. To know this, either you have to find it yourself, or you have to find it from an experienced teacher next to you. These will be the fastest way to proceed.

Posted 2006-11-13 10:51 AM (#69247 - in reply to #69240)

Nick - 2006-11-13 8:35 AM

Hi Bruce,
It's a yoga teacher's cosmetic groin region enhancer-available by request-or use a sock

nick

That would be the CGRE appliance--available on late-night TV just in time for holiday gift giving to your favorite yogi.
Nick
Posted 2006-11-13 11:05 AM (#69248 - in reply to #69247)

Hi Bruce,
The CGRE comes in small, medium and large-i could only afford the medium, but I'm hoping to get the inflatable version for christmas (a la the film "Dodgeball"-one of my students lent it to me, I hasten to add )
Nick
Yashodha
Posted 2007-01-31 12:43 AM (#75820 - in reply to #69248)

I also had this problem some time back and now I see this problem with my students too.
The tip which worked for me is once you stand with your legs apart., you turn your hips only first to the side which you are turning your body., then get in to the pose. that worked for me. and I learnt this from a Ashtanga DVD which I cant remember the name.. I will find it and try to post it.. That gives really good guidelines to Warrier poses for your to correct the allignment problems

Edited by Yashodha 2007-01-31 12:44 AM
TampaEric
Posted 2007-01-31 2:31 PM (#75891 - in reply to #68998)

http://www.ayri.org/primary-asanas.html

I find Guriji's warrior I & II and his grandson's to be different than the way I was taught.

Anyone ever notice that? They tend to bring the knee pass the ankle. Same for parsvkonasana.

David Swenson's is very different. Knee not over ankle.
http://www.ashtanga.net/dev/aboutus.php

what to do.....what to do

Eric

slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-01 7:38 PM (#76048 - in reply to #75891)

I agree with Eric, I've noticed that myself about these warrior poses. My instructor (a certified Ashtanga instructor) constantly reminds us to make sure not to bring the knee past the ankle. Perhaps this puts undue stress on the knee for most people, and that pushing forward further is not recommended until you have become a very advanced yogi. I've never asked. And I don't know much, so don't trust me!

sp
Nick
Posted 2007-02-02 3:38 AM (#76079 - in reply to #76048)

Hi there,
I think for a few years now there has been a dispute in the health industry about the effects of squats on knees, with one side claiming that squatting too low will damage the knees. It is in this camp that the 'western' method (i.e. Swenson's method) falls. Personally, I go for Swenson's method. It also allows progress-with the feet wider, then when the knees get further apart, you stretch. With the feet too close, then moving the knee will probably just have the effect of loading the knee-danger.

Nick
TampaEric
Posted 2007-02-02 10:09 AM (#76095 - in reply to #68998)

hey,

Yes, I understand what you mean. When the feet are too close I don't feel the stretch until my knee goes past the ankle. It's not a great feeling on my knees.

When my feet are far apart, getting the knee over the ankle is very tough.

Generally, if I step forward from downdog and bring my foot right next to my hands, that seems to feel like the right distance. I enjoy bending deep into this pose with my head looking way back. (just don't ask me to hold it for more than 5 breath, lol)

Eric
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)