YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

becoming a teacher
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

kristen2denise
Posted 2006-11-12 10:15 PM (#69221)
Subject: becoming a teacher

Hi there, I'm interested in becoming a yoga teacher, but I don't know much about the best way to go about it. I found a school in the area that I live in that I think would be good, but I'm going to move (I'd be able to finish the program first though) and someone suggested that I try to get certified at a school in that area. Do people actually care where you get certified when you apply for jobs? Also, are there are other requirements besides the RYS 200? I'm open to any input or suggestions, thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-11-12 10:25 PM (#69222 - in reply to #69221)
Subject: RE: becoming a teacher

Hello my dear,

thank you for visiting the forum and making this post.

It's a very good question to be carefully looked at with all seriousness before launching forward.
Why is it you want to be a yoga teacher? What is it you hope to do as a yoga teacher? What things are you hoping to provide, give, share with your future students? How did you come to this point of deciding you want to be a teacher?

It's a serious craft in my mind. Just as I would not trust my toddler with a kindergarten teacher who spent 200 hours of training (only) I'd not trust my well being to a yoga teacher who only had 200 hours of teaching (often much less). Many do. I would think twice. So what I am saying is that considering your reasons for pursuing this will bring about the answers to some of this on your own.

This question of what certifications a future employer might be looking for, as an example. I take trainings not for certifications but so that I can do my job properly and provide students with a safe atmosphere for delving into their practice. I only care if a future employer is looking for a highly qualified teacher. it's the only kind of teacher I'd want to be. It is something I do for me and my students not for a future employer.

Many gyms will not require much training. Then you'll simply be an employed teacher without much training. And if you're looking only to earn an income or supplement one you already have, then this may be fine.

It would be easier to provide a bouquet of direction for you if you were more specific about where you live, the training you are contemplating, and your practice (along with the motives for wanting to teach).
If you'd like to be more revelaing I'll be more directing.

Edited by purnayoga 2006-11-12 10:27 PM

Posted 2006-11-13 1:11 AM (#69228 - in reply to #69221)

if you want to learn to teach yoga, go to the people who know the most about teaching yoga.

i feel that teaching is a natural progression from practice. so what do you practice? you have a teacher? that person would probably be a good resource. teaching is not something to be rushed, so maybe take a good hard look at your own practice before commiting the time and resources. teaching is HARD. as difficult as yoga is in your own body, at least you know the inner geometry slightly. translating that knowledge into someone elses body/mind/spirit really makes you wrap your mind around a whole new set of challenges.

much like brother Purna, i don't feel 200 hours is enough. people will certainly ask about your qualifications when you apply for a job. in some places 200 hours might be enough, but this is a place to inspect your motivations for teaching. there are any number of places that will give you a certificate that says you are a yoga teacher, but what is the worth of a piece of paper? do you care about your teachers qualifications?

i am currently taking the first steps in my journey as a teacher, and i realize that to teach is to be more of a student than ever. 'teacher training' is not just a few weekends of intensives, but it is a process of getting to think like a teacher: bringing the beginners mind into your practice, deepening your understandings, formulating flowery metaphors and waxing poetic on internet forums.

do a little yoga, and study your-self.
thats where the answers are.

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-11-13 9:51 AM (#69244 - in reply to #69221)

kristen2denise - 2006-11-12 10:15 PM

Hi there, I'm interested in becoming a yoga teacher, but I don't know much about the best way to go about it. I found a school in the area that I live in that I think would be good, but I'm going to move (I'd be able to finish the program first though) and someone suggested that I try to get certified at a school in that area. Do people actually care where you get certified when you apply for jobs? Also, are there are other requirements besides the RYS 200? I'm open to any input or suggestions, thanks!

Dear Kristen: The most important question for me will be a) Why do you want to be a Yoga Teacher? b) And, a) means what is that you intend to achieve by becoming a Yoga Teacher?

One word of caution for you: There is a tendency in the modern times (and sometimes it is correct, but mostly it is untrue) that the one who earns maximum is valuable. Or, even the most famous is valuable. But, that is Not always true, actually most of the time that is not true.
mishoga
Posted 2006-11-13 10:26 AM (#69245 - in reply to #69221)

Expert Yogi

Hi Kristen,
How long have you been practicing yoga? What sparked the idea of becoming a Yoga teacher?
Just wondering.
I too believe that some are drawn to teach yoga from within. I do think it's important to have a consistent yoga practice of your own before deciding to teach others.

I can't say much on the 200hr YA cert because I am a 200+ teacher but I have been teaching fitness classes for a LONG time. I had the background of safety first and the experience of working with large populations and special needs students. I didn't have to tackle the issue of being in front of many people (group dynamics) so I really needed to refine my education of the technical and spiritual aspects of yoga. My education continues everyday (and I have to tell you, it is expensive to continue on the path of learning and experiencing yoga, or at least I have encountered that).
If you really want to teach and it comes from your heart, go for it. Surround yourself with poeple who share your passion and inspire you to be what you are meant to be. There are many who can help you if you seek them out. Start with your personal teacher (hopefully you have one)

Mish
gumbylovesyoga
Posted 2006-11-14 3:52 AM (#69293 - in reply to #69221)

And some of the best teachers have no certificates at all....
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-11-14 11:20 AM (#69313 - in reply to #69293)

gumbylovesyoga - 2006-11-14 3:52 AM

And some of the best teachers have no certificates at all....

Thanks for this statement. Thus, what you need is 'to learn or to teach Good' and 'if possible, forget the Certificate', but that may not be always possible if your food/clothing/shelter depends on it.
kristen2denise
Posted 2006-11-14 4:38 PM (#69341 - in reply to #69221)

Thanks everyone for your insight - I've been practicing yoga for a few years now and toyed with the idea of becoming a teacher about five years ago. I am finishing my graduate degree in social work and find the mind/body connection to be both fascinating and relavent not only for myself, but for my clients. I agree that you cannot know everything after a teacher training and its a long process, however I am interested in the process. I have wanted to deepen my yoga practice for quite sometime and I see teaching as a way to help me grow as well as helping others.

The school I'm looking into right now for teacher training is Yoga Center Amherst --- anyone have any imput on that? Thanks!

Posted 2006-11-14 5:59 PM (#69348 - in reply to #69221)

Well I looked a their 200 hour curriculum. From what is on the web site I can't really tell much of what they are doing. Most of this is jargon or nomenclature. Like in Module 1 "Ease into the Iliopsoas". I don't know what that means.

But look they seem to have a diverse offering and there's some ethics and anatomy being taught (or at least they outline that it is being taught).

So if their style of yoga appeals to you as a student and prospectively as a teacher then it appears they are teaching a full bodied program. I just don't know the nuts and bolts. I don't know the lineage of these folks; who they trained with, nor do I know what style of yoga they are teaching you to teach.

My personal feeling is that new teachers (in a 200 hour course) should not be covering nadis, chakras, and kundalini, but that's just me and the way I'm trained and taught. Others might find it "cool".
susbarb1
Posted 2006-11-14 9:43 PM (#69354 - in reply to #69221)

Interesting business-this teacher training.
I am a novice yoga student and decided I wanted to take the 200 hour RYT training.
My intent is not to teach, but to learn. I figure God will take me where I
need to go anyway
I finished my first weekend and it was very intense. I feel I am lucky to be
in a small class of 12 students. The style is Rahini and we focused a lot on the breath,prana, chakras and meditation. The style is Tibeten influenced.
I take two yoga classes per week, practice poses most days and nights, and practice meditation every day. (Still, I have "candle mind".) My body is slowly adjusting to the changes I am asking from it.
I enroll in every workshop I can find. This weekend it was about shoulder girdle.
I feel bombarded with new information(in a good way) I am reading, reading, reading.
What I have learned is: The more I know, the less I know.
Teaching is so NOT the way I want to go at this point. I need to learn SO much more.
I am a bit upset that I will be expected to know how to teach at the end of the 200 hours.
Yoga is a infinite body of knowledge. Overwhelming sometimes.
gumbylovesyoga
Posted 2006-11-15 2:32 AM (#69360 - in reply to #69221)

Purnayoga - I think that's it - we should only teach what we are experienced in and for most of us that'll be asana. Most of us have no business teaching something that we don't understand like, as you mentioned, chakras, nadis & kundalini. I would also like to add pranayama and meditation. Classes always feel more solid and honest when the teacher sticks to what they know and have experienced and not something they have read from a book.
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-11-15 7:01 AM (#69363 - in reply to #69360)

gumbylovesyoga - 2006-11-15 2:32 AM

Purnayoga - I think that's it - we should only teach what we are experienced in and for most of us that'll be asana. Most of us have no business teaching something that we don't understand like, as you mentioned, chakras, nadis & kundalini. I would also like to add pranayama and meditation. Classes always feel more solid and honest when the teacher sticks to what they know and have experienced and not something they have read from a book.

a) I fully agree with the above statements. b) But, IMHO, we must NOT focus ONLY on Asanas and promote that as major part of Yoga. In my style, I call them Yoga Exercise. c) And, IMHO, Meditation must be started very early in the Yoga Practice. Without Mediation, it can not be called Yoga. d) Therefore, any person good in Asanas, should strive to add the other aspects so that student community does not go only in one direction.
gumbylovesyoga
Posted 2006-11-15 7:54 AM (#69365 - in reply to #69221)

Hi Kulkarnn - I absolutely agree and have a personal meditation practice, but it's not mature enough to pass on to others ..yet.. What I tend to do is have my students sit quietly and focus on a beautiful breathing exercise - I believe this will prepare them for meditation when the time comes
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-11-15 6:34 PM (#69428 - in reply to #69365)

gumbylovesyoga - 2006-11-15 7:54 AM

Hi Kulkarnn - I absolutely agree and have a personal meditation practice, but it's not mature enough to pass on to others ..yet.. What I tend to do is have my students sit quietly and focus on a beautiful breathing exercise - I believe this will prepare them for meditation when the time comes

That is fantastic. And, do not feel you have not matured enough. Whatever level you are, pass it on. That is exactly what you do in Asanas any way. Correct?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)