YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Barkan vs. Moksha
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Cherry Blossom
Posted 2006-11-25 12:00 AM (#70041)
Subject: Barkan vs. Moksha

Hi everyone,

I am interested in attending a teacher training program in some type of hot yoga. Currently, I am trying to decide between Barkan and Moksha. Anyone have input on which of these two would serve me best in the long-run? Anyone attended either one of these and willing to give me some feedback?

Thank you for your help.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-11-25 1:30 AM (#70043 - in reply to #70041)
Subject: RE: Barkan vs. Moksha

which do you like better?

Posted 2006-11-25 8:44 AM (#70054 - in reply to #70043)

Barkan teachers I know are genuinely good caring people and terrific teachers. Barkan seems to me to have some standards for his teachers during and after training that I don't see with Moksha.
However, I think if I were going to be a hot yoga teacher in the U.S. and that would be my single source of income, I'd go Bikram--why? All hot yoga in the U.S. stems and is modelled after Bikram and thare's a great teacher job support system.
Cherry Blossom
Posted 2006-11-25 10:59 AM (#70063 - in reply to #70041)

Thanks for the replies. I have not been able to actually try either style. I don't have a huge selection of yoga studios in my area. So, instead I have been trying to research the two styles as much as possible online or by talking to people who are familiar with them.

Bruce, I know Bikram is the most common hot yoga style in my area (I live just out side of San Antonio) but for some reason I just do not feel compelled to go to their training program. I read some of your old posts discussing the Bikram studio here and the HBY studio and I totally agree about the difference between the two. Because I want to develop a less competitive more personal and relaxed teaching approach I don't feel the Bikram program is for me.

Posted 2006-11-25 11:53 AM (#70066 - in reply to #70063)

Emily--I didn't know you were so close by--glad to know you Can I recommend you talk with Kathleen and Tricia at HBY? They can give you solid input on the Barkan training.
danielac
Posted 2006-11-28 11:49 AM (#70271 - in reply to #70041)

I completed Jimmy's 4 week training in 2003. If anyone has questions on it - feel free to ask.
It was a solid course and not only do you learn the hot sequence, you learn gentle and pre-natal, as well as a nice intro to his vinyasa. I am very glad I chose this course and I highly recommend it. Lots of luck, daniela
Cherry Blossom
Posted 2006-11-28 9:30 PM (#70318 - in reply to #70041)

Bruce, thanks for your replies. I just responded to your message.

Daniela, I am going to send you a message with some more questions if you don't mind. Thanks for replying and letting me know you attended the Barkan training.
Cyndi
Posted 2006-11-28 10:57 PM (#70327 - in reply to #70271)

Expert Yogi

All the Barkan people I've met are so nice and seem so educated when it comes to safety and alignment issues. There are so many Barkan trained instructors here in the south. Perhaps because Barkan being in Florida..who knows. There was a studio that I contacted for my sister recently. They were all Barkan trained. After my conversations with them, I was wishing I lived nearby so I could attend instead of my sister!!
miss dee
Posted 2006-12-04 11:13 PM (#70999 - in reply to #70041)

i am a bikram certified teacher (2000) and just completed jimmy barkan's level 2&3 hot yoga training. i too am happy to answer any questions you might wish to have answered.

i am not familiar with moksha... i will look into it though. i wonder what the lineage is??

happy holidays all!
dee

Posted 2006-12-05 6:17 AM (#71011 - in reply to #70999)

Dee--you are the Empress of hot yoga! Congrats on adding the Barkin training (I swear I'll get to your place one day!)
miss dee
Posted 2006-12-05 10:57 AM (#71027 - in reply to #71011)

"empress of Hot Yoga"
that's a hoot Bruce!
yes! you are due to do my bidding! ;-)

seriously,
the Barkan training was intense- but wonderful. Jimmy B is an amazing teacher. His wisdom and style as well as his alignment theories are quite helpful and eye-opening. I have added many of his ideas to my current classes and they have been not only well-received but a refreshing change to the same old Bikram series. If you are thinking about doing the Barkan training... DO IT! (just research a different hotel to stay in other than the one the training is held in...YIKES!)

Dee
hotyogafanatic
Posted 2010-07-03 3:14 PM (#123890 - in reply to #70041)
Subject: Re: Barkan vs. Moksha

I can't believe I just came upon this thread! I may be one of 2 or 3 people in the world who has done both the Barkan training, the Moksha training AND the Bikram training. I can say easily that the Moksha training was much better in terms of the quality of instruction, the lecturers they use and the community that is developed. They have SUCH a great thing going and I only wish there was a studio closer to me. If you want to see the future of hot yoga, look no further - they have it down to a beautiful and inspired science! Barkan training was fun, but it was more all about Jimmy, though not even close to being as crappy as the Bikram training. I feel like it is a joke and Bikram is taking a lot of people to the cleaners. It is sad, really. The key though is to try it all out yourself, ask questions, and do your research.
Good luck, Cherry Blossom!
hotyogafanatic
Posted 2010-07-03 3:15 PM (#123891 - in reply to #70041)
Subject: Re: Barkan vs. Moksha

Oh, and I hear that Moksha is opening up studios in LA and NYC in the coming months!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)