YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yoga vs. Lifitng weights/both?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> General FitnessMessage format

Artashes
Posted 2006-11-26 8:32 PM (#70150)
Subject: Yoga vs. Lifitng weights/both?

I'm a yoga teacher and get this nagging pain in anterior deltoid(deltoid/shoulder in front) while doing chaturanga/headstand etc. A Physical Therapist student said, possibly rotator cuff problem, I also teach yoga at a Muscle-head gym, where the real men don't do yoga (I'm slowly trying to change this) Anyway, I read in Yoga Journal once, I think it was Lillias Folan, and perhaps Natasha something Greek sounding last name that , since Chaturangas/pushups develops the triceps and chest, it doesn't work the biceps.

Would doing Biceps curls with weights help? And what about the lats?trapezius, adductor and abductor machine ? etc. Wouldn't developing both the arm and leg biceps help using the leg curl and leg press and biceps arms curls? Doing very light weights, 10-14 repetitions per set, 2-3 sets would build muscle length and endurance in the muscle, instead of medium heavy 10-12 reps for bulk or real heavy 4-6-10 reps for power and strength?

Could some seasoned yogi help me out in cyberspace?

I would think cross training with weights would enhance not hinder, especially if being careful not to overdo and with maybe only twice a week with days of rest for muscle recoup etc...
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2006-11-27 1:26 PM (#70205 - in reply to #70150)
Subject: RE: Yoga vs. Lifitng weights/both?

I don't know I'm the yogi to help you out but I'll certainly respond.
The question itself gets a little murky for me about the middle of paragraph two. So bear with me if I miss the mark.

1) chaturanga dandasana in some disciplines is "performed" many times. The pose is done rapidly. It's entered into carelessly and oft exited in the same fashion. The pose itself is a valid pose when properly instructed, practiced for a minute or two (depending upon the class) and not repeated as a vinyasa movement. This careless, repetitive methodology tends to over tax the deltoids and casues injuries that really are quite common in certain styles of yoga.

[chaturanga is not really a pushup as the proper alignment in chaturanga has the elbows at a right angle, stacked over the wrists]

2) The actions of the deltiods in Sirsasana are not identical to Chaturanga. If you are having deltoid pain in Sirsasana it's appropriate to share how you are doing the pose in meticuluous detail so that may be dealt with but delat with as a separate issue from Chaturanga so the baby isn't thrown out with the bath water.

3) You asana trains the body from the inside out. There is certainly effect on the musculoskeletal system but it's not a rational comparison to ponder "yoga versus weights" any more than it is to ponder suntan versus hi-colonic.

4) Weight training will improve a certain sort of muscular stength and"fitness" but again this isn't necessarily going to faciliate a better "Yoga" practice (I use yoga with the capital Y to indicate a full body of knowlege).

5) it would seem, from a yogic perspective, that referencing others who are different than us as "muscle heads" offers us a greater chance for personal growth than some lat pulldowns. I taught in Gold's Gym in Florida and while I can relate to the demographic you are teaching, it's in our best interest, as living models of yoga, that we treat everyone with an even hand of compassion. A journey not a destination:-)

Edited by purnayoga 2006-11-27 1:28 PM
joscmt
Posted 2006-11-27 10:07 PM (#70230 - in reply to #70150)
Subject: RE: Yoga vs. Lifitng weights/b

purna- I can relate to what you say about chaturanga- that it's typically passed over. I did that for years and it's only been in the last 6 mos or so that I really slow myself down going into and coming out of the pose. Sometimes I can do it, sometimes I can't. I'm trying to teach my body that the pose is not all about my triceps- that it, in fact, is all about my core, my legs, basically everywhere in my body. It's been a challenging lesson for me. Luckily, now, I have teachers who are paying more attention to this pose... so I am able to focus on this right now.
Nick
Posted 2006-12-01 10:25 AM (#70675 - in reply to #70205)

Hi all,
Whilst I would agree with Gordon's statement that excessive, or badly executed, chaturangas may put too much strain on the anterior deltoid muscle, or perhaps the ligaments underneath it, I would hope that my classes encourage a student's good function. Done properly, chaturanga does not over-strain the anterior deltoid. Without getting too long-winded, proper placement of the arms and shoulder blades, spinal position, hip tilt and leg strength all play a part in making the repetition of this asana a healthy one. Core stability is vital.

The problem for the anterior deltoid comes when the arm is extended, so that the elbows are behind the back. More extension is needed as you get closer to the floor, so the main problems come the further you descend. The solution is usually in not putting the hands in a position which increase the shoulder extension, and also in drawing the elbows towards the wall behind-maybe not straight back (this causes as many problems as having the elbows flare out), but definitely pulled in that direction. In this way the shoulder socket is kept in the joint and the anterior deltoid is not made to bend around a corner. This 'bending' of the muscle is important because the anterior deltoid is eccentrically contracting as you lower to the floor, and the muscle is put under intolerable strain by the two factors at the same time.
You get a double whammy by keeping good shoulder mechanics-the rest of the body posture is improved, and you can keep going for longer without injury-so repetition of this posture is not the problem, it is actually the way most people do it that is the problem. Where have I heard that one before?

A good ruse is to pre-contract the pectoralis muscles when your arms are still straight-the action pulls on the humerus, and the arm is pulled on, or reined in, by the biceps muscle (partially) and the pectoralis (mainly)-this helps to stop the arms from hyper-extending, and also serves to pull the body forwards a bit-then the feet are pulled towards the hands with much more dexterity when you move towards upward dog. If the feet are closer to the hands, then hip extension is hopefully increased, as is thoracic spine extension (problem is, obviously it's easier to extend the lumbar spine, as you all know).
As I said above, the biceps is used in the press-up, and in chaturanga dandasana. it serves to flex the shoulder as you push away from the floor, by contacting concentrically (i.e. the origin and insertion of the muscle get closer together), and it controls your descent to the floor by contracting eccentrically (the origin and insertion of the muscle get further apart). so you can get bigger, stronger biceps from doing press-ups and chaturanga. But there is more, so much more

Nick
tourist
Posted 2006-12-01 11:01 AM (#70685 - in reply to #70675)

Expert Yogi

Biceps are also used extensively in shovelling snow... Mine have been sore for days and Nick -I am supposed to live in a climate like yours!!! Digging through a foot of snow to get to my car or even - gasp! the hot tub - is not my idea of fun... although I admit sitting in the hot tub while it is snowing is rather nice No chaturanga in my classes this week, folks...
ollie
Posted 2006-12-02 8:59 PM (#70852 - in reply to #70150)
Subject: RE: Yoga vs. Lifitng weights/b

Rotator cuff: I highly recommend physical therapy for that. I once had a bad problem; after rehab I was back to swimming the butterfly stroke.

Weights: there are "shoulder friendly ways" to lift weights.

I highly recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1552100138/ref=pd_cp_b_title/103-4806235-9390220

One thing; I have less flexibility in that shoulder, especially while doing the "eagle" pose.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)