YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

not feeling it....a long one..
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

zenergy47
Posted 2006-11-29 12:13 PM (#70405)
Subject: not feeling it....a long one..

does anyone ever just get i guess you can say.... not into teaching sometimes.. i feel worn out.. i have been teaching pretty solidly for about a year and the last few months i have felt very agitated and then once i get to class..and start teaching its a little better..i do not want to bring my negative energy into the room.. so i try not to and just meditate a little before class.. i feel like i just need some time off.. have anyone ever felt this way...i am wondering if teaching not for me? which would be heartbreaking or maybe this is something normal that people feel. after I teach a class most of my students are so happy and relaxed and loving the class.. so i know my negativeness isnt showing
i also do feel like my own personal practice has slipt and i miss how much i used to go to class..I need the time to rebuild it.. it has been hard to create a home practice for myself..been a struggle. so i try to get to take a class as much as possible(2 times a week(but before i was teaching i would take 5-6 classes)

just venting but would love input...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lsbjoe
Posted 2006-11-29 12:25 PM (#70408 - in reply to #70405)
Subject: RE: not feeling it....a long one..

I don't know about teaching yoga but school teachers have days like you are describing.Negative energy seems to affect the students and the teachers.

Posted 2006-11-29 12:38 PM (#70413 - in reply to #70405)
Subject: RE: not feeling it....a long o

what you're experiencing is called burn-out and it's very common for new teachers. your best bet is to take a break (cut back the number of classes that you teach) and focus on developing your own practice (in classes and at home).

this is common for new teachers who are also people who are new/newer to yoga. a lot of people who are new to yoga fall in love with yoga and love practicing and want to teach. they take their training and they start teaching. but they notice, as you have, that they are not practicing very often if at all. they notice that they seem to be frustrated or even resentful of the classes that they do teach. This is because they do not have their own foundation in their home, independent practice.

most teachers have a hard time getting to class. this is because we are teaching when classes are held, and thus cannot go to class AND teach at the same time. it's not possible to be in two places at once! LOL it's important to try to attend class as often as possible, but when this is not possible (due to whatever time constraints exist) that one has his/her home practice to fall into.

my recommendation to you is simple. First, cut back on the number of classes that you're teaching. maybe only teach one or two a week. Then, take classes a couple of times a week. on days when you do not teach and do not take class, practice on your own at home to establish your own practice. in time, you may discover that you want to teach more, you can take fewer, and practice at home. Or, you may discover that you're happy teaching only a few classes and taking more classes as well as practicing at home.

one of my friends staretd teacher training 4 months after her first yoga class. she took yoga class every day, sometimes twice a day. she started teaching one class, and that allowed her to still take yoga every day at the studio. she had no home practice at all. Then, the studio asked her to teach more and more classes. it got to the point where she couldn't take more than one class a week, and she never practiced at home. She got burned out! She took a month-long hiatus from teaching (no teaching), and started to take class every day again like before. She then staretd teachingone class again, then two. now she only teaches three times a week. It's her preference. She goes to class every day (has no home practice), and she teaches 3 times a week. It works for her.

Another friend of mine discovered that she wanted to teach only once a week, takes classes with three different teachers in different styles 3 times a week (once each), and then has home practice 4 days a week.

and many other friends of mine taught for a year, went back to practicing, and never picked up teaching again--simply, they prefer the practice of yoga to teaching it.

everyone has their own way. you'll find yours.

Posted 2006-11-29 12:49 PM (#70418 - in reply to #70405)

In what ways are you managing your energy please?
kulkarnn
Posted 2006-11-29 1:01 PM (#70421 - in reply to #70405)

zenergy47 - 2006-11-29 12:13 PM

does anyone ever just get i guess you can say.... not into teaching sometimes.. i feel worn out.. i have been teaching pretty solidly for about a year and the last few months i have felt very agitated and then once i get to class..and start teaching its a little better..i do not want to bring my negative energy into the room.. so i try not to and just meditate a little before class.. i feel like i just need some time off.. have anyone ever felt this way...i am wondering if teaching not for me? which would be heartbreaking or maybe this is something normal that people feel. after I teach a class most of my students are so happy and relaxed and loving the class.. so i know my negativeness isnt showing
i also do feel like my own personal practice has slipt and i miss how much i used to go to class..I need the time to rebuild it.. it has been hard to create a home practice for myself..been a struggle. so i try to get to take a class as much as possible(2 times a week(but before i was teaching i would take 5-6 classes)

just venting but would love input...

take a nice cup of coffee, tea, or juice or whatever! And, then reduce one class a week first and see what happens. If the situation is same, cut two a week. And, so on until you find the balance. It is that simple! And, give those classes to your close friend. This way two persons become happy and balanced.
zenergy47
Posted 2006-11-29 1:03 PM (#70423 - in reply to #70418)

thanks zoebird.. everything you are saying makes complete sense.. i have been practicing for 5 years and it definitly has been a hard transistion to not take as many classes as i was - back when i was only a student and not teaching.. i decided to start by taking a week off and do something thinking for my self.. i think i need to realign myself.. and see waht will work for me.. thank you thank you
tourist
Posted 2006-11-29 9:48 PM (#70481 - in reply to #70423)

Expert Yogi

zen - we always take breaks at our studio, including closing for all of August each year. We have 3 weeks off between Christmas and New Year's where I only teach one restorative class a week and no other classes are offered. We also have a couple of weeks off in the spring when we have our Canadian Iyengar conference. We are required to attend one class per week and almost all of us go to the same one or two classes with the most senior teachers. This is a huge help in keeping our pwn practice going as well as staying connected to other teachers.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)