YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Street Yoga
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> General YogaMessage format

tourist
Posted 2008-01-24 7:22 PM (#102401 - in reply to #102400)
Subject: RE: Street Yoga

Expert Yogi

Jambo - I am sitting here scratching my head.... DJ Dre revived the thread and I am pretty sure his name is Andre, not Ellen. Ellen sadly has not been around for some time. I miss her! My comment was intended to be approving of the idea that volunteers are actually trained for the work - that people show up to help knowing that they need to know stuff before they can truly help, as zoebird's post confirms. The "rich honey" I mentioned was a very kind, intelligent and well meaning woman who devoted a great deal of her time to volunteering in all sorts of circumstances. She would have benefited from the type of training the Street Yoga folk are offering and she would have taken it if it had been available.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Andre
Posted 2008-02-05 12:17 AM (#102902 - in reply to #71794)

Extreme Veteran

So far, I like what I'm getting from StreetYoga in preparation for their training. The materials give a pretty detailed run down of the sessions. And... fair warning of the what they're going to ask us to lead during the training. Yikes! Of course that makes complete sense. But I've never really taught or lead a class, besides showing my daughter poses, and I'm betting most of the folks attending will already be instructors. I'm a bit nervous, kids don't scare me, adults do.
Andre
Posted 2008-02-11 12:22 AM (#103213 - in reply to #71794)

Extreme Veteran

For what amounted to 15 hours of training, I thought it was pretty good. Yes, we talked about Yoga, but the focus was really the population you're going to work with. It did bring up some stuff for me. One of the things I really liked about what the founder asked, was what are your needs as an instructor/volunteer? Why are you doing this? Constantly check in with that, was his point.

Another thing that made alot of sense, was that if you want to start something like in your own community, don't do it alone. Because getting the kids to trust you and believe in you is important. What you want to avoid, if possible, is not having the program end because the one person who made it happen is sick or runs out of energy.

What's nice, is that I found there's two other instructors here in my town, both with ties to the program. So maybe I can just jump in the rotation, or be a cover person for vacations and sick days, etc. However, I'm still not certain I'll be teaching Yoga. This will be good for me when I volunteer to just work a regular shift.

Definitely a positive experience. Time will tell how it prepared me for actually teaching a class.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)