YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PT or Chiro
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

susbarb1
Posted 2006-12-27 11:25 PM (#72327)
Subject: PT or Chiro

I am confused as to wheather I need a PT or a chiro for my hip.If hip position is the genesis of the problem, I would think a chiro would be in order.

I had a deep massage of the "periformus". I probably murdered that word. It was a deep muscle in the hip and glute. God, I felt so much better. I was able to do my yoga although still making allowances.

Supossedly,chiros have massage therapists and PTs right there. A girl I know goes to one not far from here.

I probably need both, but I don't have that luxury. The hip is effecting my hamstrings now.Tight,tight,tight...

Oh well, I will speak to this new chiro tomorrow.

At least this has slowed me down to practice my meditation mantras and breathing techniques. So all is not lost

Top of the page Bottom of the page
bstqltmkr
Posted 2006-12-28 11:01 AM (#72362 - in reply to #72327)
Subject: RE: PT or Chiro

HI Susan, I can't really answer your therapy question, but I can say that it's great that your keeping up with what you're able to practice, and are keeping a positive attitude. That will go far in helping you to heal and get over your injury. My sister has problems with her hips, and was taught a way to self massage the area by rolling on tennis balls. She said the actual rolling on the balls was torture, but the relief afterward was great. Maybe someone you talk to will know more about something like that, or have another idea on how you could torture yourself. Shelly

Edited by bstqltmkr 2006-12-28 11:02 AM
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-28 12:14 PM (#72367 - in reply to #72327)

my chiro taught me the coolest thing ever last week. He explained to me how, inadvertantly, the TMJ (in your jaw) affects your hip. As most of you know, I have a lot of trouble with my hips. I was having a complete evaluation last week and my chiro noticed my hips being soooooo tight (despite the fact that I work at them constantly- stretching and strengthening). He tried to stretch them.. no improvement in mobility... THEN, he said, wait a minute, let's try something else- he adjusted my TMJ (which hurt like nuts. BTW!) and asked if I clench my jaw or grind my teeth. Not that I'm aware of.. ANYHOO- after he adjusted my jaw, he checked my hips again- I gained more than 4 inches extra movement WITH NO PAIN!!! Which is amazing for me!!!
He taught me how to do the adjustment on myself- although, it's hard to inflict that much pain on yourself-- but it was HUGE!! And it's worked since then. I do have wild and crazy dreams, so maybe I clench my jaw at night...
I'd recommend a good chiropractor....but I have had a marvelous experience with mine. I've also had a horrible experience in the past with someone else- so, I'd get recommendations before you go.
susbarb1
Posted 2006-12-28 12:28 PM (#72371 - in reply to #72327)

Thank you so much-I am going to try the chiro if my doc will give me a referral. I have heard so much good about them and my instincts are leading me in that direction.

For today, back for another periformis (spelling?) massage before

my yoga class. My daughter gave me a gift certificate! Lucky me

BTW- How does one spell check on this board?

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-12-28 2:58 PM (#72378 - in reply to #72327)

susbarb1 - 2006-12-27 11:25 PM

I am confused as to wheather I need a PT or a chiro for my hip.If hip position is the genesis of the problem, I would think a chiro would be in order.

I had a deep massage of the "periformus". I probably murdered that word. It was a deep muscle in the hip and glute. God, I felt so much better. I was able to do my yoga although still making allowances.

Supossedly,chiros have massage therapists and PTs right there. A girl I know goes to one not far from here.

I probably need both, but I don't have that luxury. The hip is effecting my hamstrings now.Tight,tight,tight...

Oh well, I will speak to this new chiro tomorrow.

At least this has slowed me down to practice my meditation mantras and breathing techniques. So all is not lost

"The best care in most sickness is doing NOTHING intelligently". ... Health and Yoga Aphorisms of SaeeTech.
GreenJello
Posted 2006-12-28 9:09 PM (#72389 - in reply to #72378)

kulkarnn - 2006-12-28 2:58 PM

"The best care in most sickness is doing NOTHING intelligently". ... Health and Yoga Aphorisms of SaeeTech.

Ain't it the truth? There is a reason why the Hippocratic oath involves not causing any problems.
joscmt
Posted 2006-12-29 9:25 AM (#72409 - in reply to #72327)

"Nothing Intelligently" I've been trying to do this this last week for my ankle. I strained it some time ago thinking it was no biggie.. but it's still there. So I've taken off some time from yoga (I've done a gentle practice and some seated stuff- but nothing major) to let it rest. Makes me feel a little like a bum, but that's my own head talking. It's beginning to feel a little better, but it's in a weird spot... so we'll see....
susbarb1
Posted 2006-12-29 1:12 PM (#72425 - in reply to #72327)

I saw the chiro today. Interesting man. Martial artist, black belt (forgot which type of MA) Certified personal trainer. Very holistic, warm and genuine. We talked about prana,yoga,etc.

Anyway I get my first treatment tomorrow. He feels it is most likely the periformis as does my MT.  Wants me to get some kind of "frog leg" xray to rule out other issues.

He does not accept my insurance but said he will treat me for co-pay only. Now that's putting your money where your mouth is.

He wants me to stay off the mat for a while, but knows I won't.

Says to use my brain and be very,very careful.

kulkarnn
Posted 2006-12-29 3:39 PM (#72442 - in reply to #72409)

joscmt - 2006-12-29 9:25 AM

"Nothing Intelligently" I've been trying to do this this last week for my ankle. I strained it some time ago thinking it was no biggie.. but it's still there. So I've taken off some time from yoga (I've done a gentle practice and some seated stuff- but nothing major) to let it rest. Makes me feel a little like a bum, but that's my own head talking. It's beginning to feel a little better, but it's in a weird spot... so we'll see....

There are two types of practitioners:

a) Those who do not do when needed - Tamasika.

b) Those who can not not do when needed 'to do nothing'. - Rajasika.

What one should attempt after doing enough of a), b) is go to become

c) Those who just enough of needs to be done. - sattvika.

Nick
Posted 2007-01-04 3:32 PM (#72886 - in reply to #72367)

Hi Marylisa,
I've had that TMJ adjustment, and it's ferocious! There are branches of chiro that pay a lot of attention to this joint. Interestingly, I read somewhere that it actually quite important for posture-if the TMJ muscles, say from jaw clenching or car accidents are tight, this feeds back to the brain and tells us our head is in a completely different position to the one it is in-so the neck alters it's position to accomadate this false appraisal of posture, and then the rest of the body follows suit.
This is one of the reasons I push my tongue to the roof of the mouth when I practice-this allows or encourages the jaw and neck muscles to exhibit proper tone.
Take care
Nick
joscmt
Posted 2007-01-04 6:23 PM (#72909 - in reply to #72327)

nick- there you are! I've been waiting for you to chime in on this thread- seemed right up your alley! Welcome back!
I love that adjustment (after it's over!).. but it is hard to do on myself. He showed me where, but I feel like I bail out before anything changes...
tourist
Posted 2007-01-04 7:01 PM (#72917 - in reply to #72886)

Expert Yogi

Welcome back, Nick I think Mr. Tourist needs that adjustment, both for the jaw/hip connection and so that maybe he can get his d@mned head in the @#$%^! right position in waltz and foxtrot.
Nick
Posted 2007-01-05 4:04 AM (#72936 - in reply to #72917)

Hi Glenda and Marylisa,
My broadband gave me the silent treatment for a couple of weeks there-hello! Actually Glenda, there's a good chance an upper cut will sort his jaw out-just make sure you hit the right side! You may have to practice a bit.
Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-01-05 10:05 AM (#72949 - in reply to #72936)

Expert Yogi

I'll need to stand on a chair, too
bstqltmkr
Posted 2007-01-05 2:47 PM (#72965 - in reply to #72327)

Hey Nick, I was wondering where you been. Happy New Year, oh yeah, which I see you're getting off to a good start, advocating violence.
Nick
Posted 2007-01-05 2:55 PM (#72966 - in reply to #72965)

Hi Shelly,
Yep, violence is one of my new year's resolutions Oh, and Glenda, you don't have to stand on a chair-apparently most knock-outs come from a blow to the jaw-because the jaw is a long way from the brainstem, I think a good blow can rip the dura mater and induce unconsciousness.
So don't let your height stand in your way Just think 'one-inch punch' and you'll do fine. Send my regards to yuor husband, if anyone else wants marriage counselling, you can contact me online at....

Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-01-05 6:41 PM (#72976 - in reply to #72966)

Expert Yogi

I dunno nick. This guy is built tough. He broke his cousin's leg playing soccer when they were kids just by hitting each other's shins. I did find a way to nearly knock him out last night, though. But not with an uppercut
Nick
Posted 2007-01-06 3:47 AM (#72996 - in reply to #72976)

Hi Glenda,
Did you use your built-in nutcracker?
Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-01-06 11:30 AM (#73021 - in reply to #72996)

Expert Yogi

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)