YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

explorations
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

simalay26
Posted 2007-01-04 6:44 PM (#72913)
Subject: explorations

Dear readers, yoga-experts, yogi's,

Since i started the Ashtanga Vinyasa Teacher Training, here in the Netherlands, I am fully enjoying the Yogic Path. I am exploring the body, mind, life in general. It's just great.
I might want to post about some of my explorations. For starters, I'd like to mention the following:
Although I most of the time drink water (or tea, juices) and sometimes even fruits before and after class, I never experienced the 'return' of the drinks/food untill a few days ago. I had a drink just half an hour before I started practicing sequences. While moving from urdvah mukha svanasana towards adho mukha svanasana, the drink came through my noistral! It really tasted bad (like throwing up) and I couldn't breath for a split second. Very disturbing and I stopped my practice (which I don't easily do).
Does anyone know why this happened (never happened before in 3 years of practice time). I didn't make a difficult or strange movement.
I just don't want to consider this happening when I am teaching a class in the future!
Sima
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-01-04 6:52 PM (#72915 - in reply to #72913)
Subject: RE: explorations

Expert Yogi

Hi sima and welcome. You may have acid reflux or you may just have had a bad day I do have reflux caused by a weak lower esophogeal muscle and yes, food and liquid can "return" in unpleasant ways! Try not to have anything to eat or drink for an hour or so before practice and even then, have a small amount. Best of luck!
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-01-05 3:36 AM (#72935 - in reply to #72913)

I think they recommend no food or drink for 3-4 hours before practice - water kills the "fire"!

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-01-05 11:35 PM (#72990 - in reply to #72913)

simalay26 - 2007-01-04 6:44 PM

Dear readers, yoga-experts, yogi's,

Since i started the Ashtanga Vinyasa Teacher Training, here in the Netherlands, I am fully enjoying the Yogic Path. I am exploring the body, mind, life in general. It's just great.
I might want to post about some of my explorations. For starters, I'd like to mention the following:
Although I most of the time drink water (or tea, juices) and sometimes even fruits before and after class, I never experienced the 'return' of the drinks/food untill a few days ago. I had a drink just half an hour before I started practicing sequences. While moving from urdvah mukha svanasana towards adho mukha svanasana, the drink came through my noistral! It really tasted bad (like throwing up) and I couldn't breath for a split second. Very disturbing and I stopped my practice (which I don't easily do).
Does anyone know why this happened (never happened before in 3 years of practice time). I didn't make a difficult or strange movement.
I just don't want to consider this happening when I am teaching a class in the future!
Sima

1. If it happened only once in 3 years, there is nothing to explore.

2. If you do not want it to happen, just do not drink juice before the class. Then it will stop and then you can not explore.

3. If you want to explore, continue to drink juice before class for next 3 months and see what happens as an average thing.

Posted 2007-01-07 1:40 AM (#73115 - in reply to #72913)

Could you tell me why you are doing the pose while you teach?
Was this a demo?

Neel makes a good point about the frequency of the event. Once in three years seems to qualify as an anomaly. And if you don't like the result change the behavior - don't drink so soon before your practice.

Sometimes a rose is just a rose.
simalay26
Posted 2007-01-07 4:00 AM (#73118 - in reply to #73115)

Thank you all for each reply. Also the questions help me to learn more and more.

Tourist, may I ask: how did you find the mentioned cause in your history?
Is it really 3 to 4 hours not drinking? I always thought 1 to 2 hrs not eating, but perhaps I was led by European measurments.
Purna, it was for demonstration that I did these poses.
Leen, you're right if it happened once in 3 years, then there's little to explore. However I posted this, because I might wanted to discover whether there is a relation between my passed eating disorder (threw up very frequently) and this happening.

Sima
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-01-07 6:50 AM (#73130 - in reply to #72913)

Well Guruji says that if you practice in the morning, only milk for dinner. If you practice in the evening, only milk for lunch. So it's actually a lot longer than 3-4 hours. Drinking during the practice isn't good because it kills the heat which you are trying to build. You'll get rapped on the fingers for that out in Mysore. I sip water regularly but I don't drink because having a belly full of liquid isn't too good for you.

But you're wise to think about your passed eating disorder. There are quite a few very skinny ashtangis, don't get obsessed with it all, just make sure you are comfortable and healthy

Edited by DownwardDog 2007-01-07 6:52 AM
Nick
Posted 2007-01-07 10:41 AM (#73152 - in reply to #73118)

Hi Simona,
Just what the others say, really-don't let it become a habit, but if it doesn't happen again, probably don't worry about it too much. With acid reflux, I sometimes (not always) see that the student's breathing is inappropiate-sometimes mis-timed, sometimes weak, or sometimes bad breathing mechanics. It's usually a mixture, typical
As the oesophagus passes through the diaphragm, and the diaphragm has several functions, including breathing and also acting as a spincter around the oesophagus, preventing acid reflux, you can see that if the diaphragm is not contracting appropiately at the same time as the abdominal contents are being squeezed by the abdominals and other core muscles, then the only way for the food to go is up.
Partly because of this, I try to teach bandha in such a way that they support the action of the diaphragm muscle, not interfere with it. This is trickier than you might think-see how it is difficult to breathe when you lift your feet off the floor into a handstand, or take your weight on your hands when you lift in the vinyasa-so often, you will hear a student's breath become weaker, or stop completely, whenever they are asked to take their body weight onto their hands.
And indeed, in coming from urdvha mukha svanasana to adho mukha, you are adopting a position where you take your weight on your hands.
Perhaps try to examine your diaphragm action in the upward dog, and ask yourself if the action is complete, or is dysfunctional because of your body posture. Re-align the body posture to allow a fuller breath in-I am hoping that this will get the full range of the diaphragm muscle-you should see the lower ribs balloon outwards (like when you take a deep breath), which causes the upper rib cage and sternum to elevate-ujjayi breathing.
This action should help to ensure that the diaphragm fulfils its function as a sphincter of the oesophagus. Make sure that you do not hold your breath for even a nano-second whilst in up-dog-you don't want the diaphragm to stay at this length and tension, but to allow it to 'eccentrically contract' (means the muscle contracts but still lenghthens, as when you lower a cup of coffee to the table-the biceps lengthens to allow a controlled descent) to control the rate at which you breathe out as you pull back into down-dog.
As you breath out, do not simply reverse the process, but again start by returning the rib cage, to its original position. This will, I hope, help to ensure the continued use of the diaphragm throughout your practice
Sorry to ramble, welcome to the board-you'll find out I'm the board rambler, well maybe there's a few of us..

Take care
Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-01-07 10:50 AM (#73154 - in reply to #73118)

Hi again,
I'm not sure if I agree with the principle of limiting food and fluid intake-that would mean that we have evolved a system which cannot undertake strenous exercise for several hours after the absorption of food or water-it would be highly unlikely that we would be here today if that was our evolutionary strategy. I personally would make sure to eat well, and hydrate well, especially if you are using yoga as a tool for health.
But each to their own, I guess.
Nick
tourist
Posted 2007-01-07 11:49 AM (#73158 - in reply to #73154)

Expert Yogi

I think everyone has to experiment themselves to find the perfect timing of food and drink before class/practice. Obviously it is possible to eat and drink during exercise as the triathletes do it all the time. Of course they don't generally go upside down unless there are serious problems on the bike ride! Mostly it seems best to not be too full - a light tummy works best for sure, whether you are going by American or European "metric" hours.

Yes, I think bulimia would certainly be something that could loosen up that muscle. It takes some medical tests to confirm acid reflux but things like your experience happening frequently or waking up in the middle of the night with a suddenly very painful throat etc. are signs that you have it.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-07 9:41 PM (#73221 - in reply to #73158)

Expert Yogi

For me, I don't like to practice within about 4 hours of a full meal, but I can go okay within about two hours of something very light. It depends in part on what I am practicing, of course. Things that compress the stomach or the gut in general need to be done on an essentially empty stomach. 

I've never found water to be a problem, and I do sip some if I'm thirsty when I practice.  When I was a Bikram person, I'd put down 2 litres during a class..fortunately, you sweat it out in Bikram and there's not a whole lot that strong compresses the stomach.

... bg

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)