YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Rodney Yee Married
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-07 4:32 PM (#73185)
Subject: Rodney Yee Married

Expert Yogi

The NY Times has a big spread on Rodney Yee's remarriage in today's Style section. Seems it was her touch on his third eye that triggered the whole cascade of events.

... bg

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-01-07 6:54 PM (#73205 - in reply to #73185)
Subject: RE: Rodney Yee Married

All I know is heresay so I can't even conjecture.

If any of THAT was accurate my hope is that he's able to control his pelvic energies and draw them into the heart center. I have not taken asana with him. I don't think that appeals to me either, despite Oprah's feelings.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-01-07 6:56 PM

Posted 2007-01-07 8:35 PM (#73210 - in reply to #73185)

Brother Bay guy, I think the touch was on the little horn dog's third leg, not third eye. Ah what the heck--you go Rodney you bendy little sunofagun. He might be pirate material--we'd best keep an eye on him...may need sombody spry enough to scamper up the mizzen mast and adjust the satellite dish so we can catch the game.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-07 9:32 PM (#73218 - in reply to #73210)

Expert Yogi

If you read the article, you'll discover that this electric touch occurred while they were sitting together in a hot tub and after years of apparent fornication flirtation. Clearly, he's on a pirate's trajectory.

... bg

mishoga
Posted 2007-01-08 5:34 AM (#73241 - in reply to #73185)

Expert Yogi

I met his wife during the last workshop I attended of his.
I didn't know she was his wife until the class was over but I noticed her immediately (in the beginning of class) and thought to myself, what a babe. She has the ultimate yoga bod and she is so pretty. It's no wonder he couldn't resist her charms. She is beautiful, but YOUNG.....
Hey, stuff happens. I wish them well. They are a good looking couple.

One thing for sure, he is definitely more reserved when she attends his workshop.

Edited by mishoga 2007-01-08 5:35 AM
SCThornley
Posted 2007-01-08 10:37 AM (#73249 - in reply to #73185)

did anybody catch the Mad TV skit of a Yoga Teacher making a DVD at the beach?

Man!!

It was Hilarious.

Rodney Yee....eh, my sister gave me a dvd of his but I haven't watched it.....

Posted 2007-01-08 11:07 AM (#73252 - in reply to #73249)

Couldn't find the story Brother Bay guy mentioned but found this one: Woo-HOO, their a lustful duo--glad they found each other and they're the poster people for what NOT to do as a yoga teacher:
An Illicit Yoga Love Story
When the “stud-muffin guru” hooked up with his student, disciples were left reeling.
By Abigail Pogrebin
It was the affair that put the yoga world in a twist. Rodney Yee, yogi to the stars, who’d told People magazine that his practice was the “backbone” of his marriage, left his wife of 24 years after becoming involved with one of his students, Colleen Saidman. Now Yee, 48, possibly the most popular and prolific (30 home videos!) instructor in the country—extolled on Oprah and by Donna Karan—has moved to East Hampton to be with her. His ex-wife, Donna Fone, with whom he co-owns his famed studio, and his three children remain in Oakland, California. And Saidman, 45, left her husband of 24 years to be with him.

It would seem to be a good match: As co-owner of Yoga Shanti studio in Sag Harbor, she’s nearly as accomplished a yogi to the overstressed overclass as he is, with students like Christy Turlington, Christie Brinkley, and Russell Simmons.

Devotees still flock to their classes, but there’s been simmering disapproval. “I’ve had people that won’t speak to me anymore,” Saidman says, sitting entwined with Yee on the floor of the shingled house they now share. “Because I was their guru, the person they were going to spend the rest of their life with, at my feet in India, and they find out I did this; it’s like I destroyed them. One woman left town.”

“You have students—through the videos and books—who you haven’t met with all kinds of ideas of who they think you are,” Yee says. “No one really cares who Rodney Yee really is. I’m what? A little line in the newspaper [it was Time magazine] that calls me the ‘stud-muffin guru’? I mean, what the hell is that?”

Being a guru, of course, means mats upon mats of temptation: new, impressionable students. “In the past, I think I was conveniently ignorant,” says Yee, who has apologized for previous infidelities. “I was pretending to myself that I wasn’t sexual in class.” Now he turns down yoga retreats where the students hang out with the instructors all day, the very setting that gave rise to his affair with Saidman. “The thing is, I trust him at this point,” she says. “Maybe that’s ridiculous, but I have to.”

“We both have to,” says Yee. “And yet we both don’t.”

“There are little things,” concedes Saidman. “Like when Rodney’s away and I’ll have dinner with some guy friends, he goes crazy. And he knows he doesn’t need to.”

“I’ll ask her, ‘Okay, what were you wearing?’ ” says Yee, with a smile. “And of course, it’s her shortest miniskirt.”

Saidman insists that her bare midriff isn’t the problem. “The thing is, I think I’m actually more sexual in class than Rodney is. Even my touch is more sensual than his is. And I dress a lot sexier. But I think my boundaries are a lot clearer.”

“They were before,” Yee corrects her. “I think my boundaries are extremely clear at this point. Partly because I’m satisfied.”

“Because I’d kill him otherwise,” Saidman says.

“No,” Yee continues, “because I’m satisfied.”

Despite their apparent fulfillment, Saidman concedes they’re not poster children for proper conduct on the mat: “The teacher-student relationship is very complicated. That can definitely be taken advantage of by a teacher. And I think a teacher shouldn’t go there. Even though we did.”

(yee colleen.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments yee colleen.jpg (28KB - 168 downloads)
SCThornley
Posted 2007-01-08 11:24 AM (#73253 - in reply to #73185)

Jeesh...

So, he left his wife and children to be with another 'yoga guru'?

Wow, I'm so glad that I've learned from folks that said, "I'm not the guru, the practice is the guru."

People are so fallible.

In my book, though, infidelity is pretty bad, of course I don't live a life where I'm hanging out in a hot tub with a woman who isn't my wife.

I might be seen as arrogant or condescending, but I'm glad that these two have lost students and respect because of their behaviour.

These two people are not good examples of morality or commitment. Even you admire their commitment to follow their hearts, what about the families that they've left behind?

I think I'll pitch that Rodney Yee dvd into the trash bin.

GreenJello
Posted 2007-01-08 11:28 AM (#73255 - in reply to #73185)

Sounds like an excellent example of what NOT to do, and why. Just a couple of things I want to pick out of this article that really show this:

“The thing is, I trust him at this point,” she says. “Maybe that’s ridiculous, but I have to.”
“We both have to,” says Yee. “And yet we both don’t.”

I don't see how it's possible to have any sort of meaningful relationship with somebody you don't trust. Clearly these people have destroyed the most important things in a relationship for what appears to be desire and attachment, the very things that yoga is supposed to guide you away from. I don't see how anybody can continue to take classes from these people.

Posted 2007-01-08 11:29 AM (#73254 - in reply to #73185)

But wait, there's more--Collen had a near death experience--struck by lightening; probably explains why she figures "life's too short, I want me some of that Rodney."

A Yoga teacher and co-owner of Yoga Shanti in New York's Sag Harbor, Colleen Saidman clearly remembers the night she was struck by lightning. She was in her tent when she suddenly felt an excruciating pain that seemed tolast forever. "I remember thinking, 'I'm in nature, I've known love, I'm with family, I guessI'm ready to die,'" Saidman says.

This brush with death left her with an acute understanding of what she calls "the ultimate fear", and she says her spiritualpractices have given her the tools to further acceptance of death. "Meditation forces you to allow fear to arise, stay and pass, and to hear what it has to teach you," she says.

Although the accident has left Saidman prone to epileptic seisures, she continues to teach nine group classes a week as well as handle the administrative duties that come with running a studio. Her meditation and asana practices keep her grounded, which is also important in her other career: modeling. (She appears in J.Jill and Sundance catalogs.)

"As a model, you're thrown into a completely materialistic world, where the answers are 'bigger, better, more,'" she says. "But the real answers are quieter and subtler."

(Yoga-Journal-cover.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Yoga-Journal-cover.jpg (10KB - 168 downloads)
SCThornley
Posted 2007-01-08 11:34 AM (#73258 - in reply to #73185)

LOL

these are what the establishment is raising up for others to consider teachers?

ROFLMFAO

What a joke.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-08 11:42 AM (#73259 - in reply to #73241)

Expert Yogi

mishoga - 2007-01-08 5:34 AM I met his wife during the last workshop I attended of his. I didn't know she was his wife until the class was over but I noticed her immediately (in the beginning of class) and thought to myself, what a babe. She has the ultimate yoga bod and she is so pretty. It's no wonder he couldn't resist her charms. She is beautiful, but YOUNG..... 

Actually, she's 47 and he's 49.

... bg 

mishoga
Posted 2007-01-08 12:00 PM (#73262 - in reply to #73185)

Expert Yogi

Bayguy, I just realized that. I thought it was this very young girl. I can understand it being those two together (I knew something was up, like she was getting so much attention because she was close to Rodney). When I asked Rodney where in Long Island was he conducting workshops, he said he only teaches in Yoga Shanti.
SHE IS BEAUTIFUL. A little snobby. I went to her studio "Yoga Shanti" in Sag Harbour to take a workshop with Rodney this September. She was there.
Maybe they just had a connection. People grow and change. A person can not be the same at 40 or 50 years old as they were when they were in their 20's.
You know, he was so honest during another workshop I took with him that my heart poured to him. He basically said he felt lost. Something changed, he doesn't know how to get back on track but he's trying. I respect that honesty. It was incredibly heartfelt.

I know this is a big no-no but to me, it just shows that he is human and is continuously working on living Yoga. I feel great compassion for him.

And besides, I like his practice.

Posted 2007-01-08 12:22 PM (#73266 - in reply to #73262)

Mish--I couldn't agree more--as you stated, "...it just shows that he is human." And I don't doubt he was hit by a midlife crisis...her too I imagine. While I'm understanding, and he was no doubt tempted by the little vixen Colleen (sure I blame her--we guys are so weak), I doubt I'd be so tolerant should my spouse we wooed away.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-01-08 12:30 PM (#73267 - in reply to #73262)

mishoga - 2007-01-08 12:00 PM

Maybe they just had a connection. People grow and change. A person can not be the same at 40 or 50 years old as they were when they were in their 20's.

True, but I think they should work on one problem at a time. In this case it doesn't appear to be a change in their lives, other than desire for each other. It would be one thing if they were both divorced or something, it would indicate that they had worked through the problems in the first relationship to some level. Then they moved onto the next relationship. Instead they had something, and put it down for something else.

You know, he was so honest during another workshop I took with him that my heart poured to him. He basically said he felt lost. Something changed, he doesn't know how to get back on track but he's trying. I respect that honesty. It was incredibly heartfelt.

This is incredibly honest and heartbreaking, but that doesn't really excuse his behavior, does it? I've read that usually EVERYBODY involved in an affair comes out of it really depressed, including the people who were involved in the affair, not just the people being cheated on. However, that doesn't mean that what they did was right.

I think you'll also find that a number of people in prison will tell you similar stories, that they really feel guilt and remorse for the things they've done, and they probably mean it. However, that doesn't make it excusable as a society does it?

There have to be boundaries and limitations. We can't just say that everything is fine and acceptable, because it's not. These two have inflicted a great deal of pain and suffering on the people around them for their own selfish gains. They've broken trust with the people they were married to.

I know this is a big no-no but to me, it just shows that he is human and is continuously working on living Yoga. I feel great compassion for him.

Yes, it's a really mixed bag isn't it?

Edited by GreenJello 2007-01-08 12:31 PM
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-08 12:31 PM (#73268 - in reply to #73185)

Expert Yogi

Bruce, she is so beautiful. A classic beauty like a Ralph Lauren Model. She's done lots of modeling too. She's a model for Eileen Fischer clothing (beautiful clothes)
She has good genes.
I was going to ask her to take a pic with me but decided against it because she only said three words to me the whole time I was in her studio "What's your name?"

Yes Bruce, when a woman wants a man, look out. Like Anjolie (Is that how you spell her name)
When a woman that oozes confidence and sexiness wants your man, it's over.

Mish
GreenJello
Posted 2007-01-08 12:33 PM (#73269 - in reply to #73268)

mishoga - 2007-01-08 12:31 PM

Yes Bruce, when a woman wants a man, look out. Like Anjolie (Is that how you spell her name)
When a woman that oozes confidence and sexiness wants your man, it's over.

Bull. If your man is lacking in character, you're in trouble. If you man is a real man, and has character and some moral fiber, he's yours, period.
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-08 12:42 PM (#73270 - in reply to #73185)

Expert Yogi

I agree to a large degree with you GJ but Those kind of women are rare and few, and when they have their target, even the most decent gentleman can fall, realizing quite quickly he has made a terrible mistake.

There are men like this too. They prey on housewives. It's easy for a jaded housewife to fall into this. I personally would never cheat because I love my husband, he satisfies me, protects me......we still laugh and wrestle together, tickling eachother under the armpit, the neck.
We have fun together. I can understand how someone could stray. I personally have a couple of girlfriends who have (while they are married).

People can seperate emotionally. Sometimes it's not any one person's fault. it's a culmination of events, time with one another....

OK, I'll try to shut up

Edited by mishoga 2007-01-08 12:45 PM
GreenJello
Posted 2007-01-08 12:57 PM (#73272 - in reply to #73270)

mishoga - 2007-01-08 12:42 PM

I agree to a large degree with you GJ but Those kind of women are rare and few, and when they have their target, even the most decent gentleman can fall, realizing quite quickly he has made a terrible mistake.

Okay, I can see what you're saying. However, why that person may stray momentarily, wouldn't they do something once they come to their senses? In this case it's not a matter of a moment's weakness, this is a complete decision.

People can seperate emotionally. Sometimes it's not any one person's fault. it's a culmination of events, time with one another....

True, but shouldn't you try and address this issue with the person involved instead of dumping them and taking up with somebody else?

OK, I'll try to shut up

Nah, you're doing fine. I'm just a little emotional this morning. Hopefully we can keep this civil, even if we do disagree.
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-08 1:07 PM (#73273 - in reply to #73185)

Expert Yogi

You know, I look back and think about this topic often. I am married to a man who was at the Twin Towers on 9/11. I am part of the police force and know many from the NYFD.
Many men left their wives after that tragic event because they realized they didn't truly love the person they were with.
Sometimes people are not meant to be with one another for life. They might remina with the one they are married to but be emotional absent. It's sad.
It always saddens me when a couple breaks, especially if children are involved. It leaves scars for all involved.

Ahhhhhhh, you feeling mushy this raining morning (It's pouring here in NY)?
SCThornley
Posted 2007-01-08 1:23 PM (#73277 - in reply to #73185)

lust and attraction just happen

In my opinion, Love is something different than these animal instincts

Love has something to do with commitment and sacrifice and trust, or am I just way off base?

I don't comprehend how these two could leave relationships that lasted for 20+ years.

Of course, I do understand that everyone else doesn't function at the same frequency or wavelength that I do, but well, whatever.

It seems so shallow,
so superficial,
so void of spirit.

no sir, I don't like it.

jonnie
Posted 2007-01-08 1:35 PM (#73278 - in reply to #73185)

The fact that so many people still hold Rodney Yee in such high regard is a direct reflection on how little these people actually understand Yoga.

Just because he is muscular, flexible and has a lovely body wax is no indication that he knows anything about Yoga. His off mat activities on the other hand, are a strong indictation that he knows nothing about Yoga.

Jonathon
yogabrian
Posted 2007-01-08 1:36 PM (#73279 - in reply to #73185)

Interesting that no one has mentioned that Rodney's ex wife Donna is smoking hot and totally cool!

I just have this to say regarding Rodney. It is well know in the bay area that he has always been a rake. A leapord does not change it spots. Give it time, he will more that likely do it again. Once a cheater always a cheater.

Posted 2007-01-08 1:40 PM (#73280 - in reply to #73273)

Don't you dare shut up Mish--your insights are real and important. Life and relationships are hard--it's good to know the dangers that lie along the way. And as far as Rodney and his rleationships--only he and his partner know the dynamics.
And Mish, I've been working to get photos of all the real yogis and yoginis I come across--like the Sean Corns, Brother Neel, Twisti Kristi, etc. Going to get them all framed and line my studio one day--photo journal of my yogi journey and the folks I've met and helped me along the way.
GreenJello
Posted 2007-01-08 1:46 PM (#73281 - in reply to #73273)

mishoga - 2007-01-08 1:07 PM

You know, I look back and think about this topic often. I am married to a man who was at the Twin Towers on 9/11. I am part of the police force and know many from the NYFD.
Many men left their wives after that tragic event because they realized they didn't truly love the person they were with.
Sometimes people are not meant to be with one another for life. They might remina with the one they are married to but be emotional absent. It's sad.
It always saddens me when a couple breaks, especially if children are involved. It leaves scars for all involved.

It's not an easy situation is it?

I've been wrestling with some of this sort of stuff recently. After not dating for years, I finally went on a date. We'd been talking about and forth on myspace, and seemed to get along fairly well, though there are some differences. Anyway we got together Saturday night, and watched some movies. For better or for worse, she's overweight, far beyond what I find acceptable, so I had to tell her Sunday how I felt. Honestly, I'm not sure if I made the right decision, or if there is such a thing in these sorts of circumstances.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)