YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

studying
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

sumbuddy
Posted 2007-01-09 1:06 PM (#73403)
Subject: studying

Hi there,
I've only been practicing yoga for 6 months but absolutely love it. I want to learn as much as I can about it. I've considered doing a teachers training course, not to teach it right now, but to learn all about the philosophy, and everything else that goes along with yoga. I believe this will help me along in my practice. Do you think this would be a good idea?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-01-09 1:27 PM (#73413 - in reply to #73403)
Subject: RE: studying

yes, it is a good idea. a lot of people utilize teacher trainings in this way.
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-09 6:27 PM (#73454 - in reply to #73403)

Om Namah Sivaya
Sumbuddy,

Great idea....... I of course am rather biased when it comes to this and would like to suggest one of the teacher training programs offered at one of the Sivananda Ashrams..... check out

www.sivananda.org

Philosophy and tradition are focused on a great deal during the TTC

Food for thought and my two cents

Om Shanti,
Ravi

Posted 2007-01-09 7:40 PM (#73457 - in reply to #73403)

Niki,

a teacher training is certainly one avenue. Another is an all-levels intensive or week-long workshop. I have the benefit of hindsight. I'm 1,000 through a 2,000 training. Before that I had a week long "boot camp" training, a few asana intensives and an additional week-long with my current teacher.

In the first week long the information was not too deep and the topics were many. I learned some basics about several segments of yoga. And it was, at the time, a superb experience. I would nto be where or who I am today had it not been for that teacher, his teachers, and the staff.

This all can also depend on where you are. If you are in remote locations your choices are more limited.
A teacher training, if well contstructed should contain some applied anatomy, philosophy, ethics, asana/pranayama, and teaching skills like diction, pressentation, curriculums...how much of that do you want? An intensive might be more appropriate. If you are interested in coming to the Pacific Northwest here in the U.S. we'd love to have you.

Either way, pursuing the path you mention, the one for which you have passion right here, right now, is perfection. Go for it - eyes open.

It will not only change your practice, it will change your LIFE!

Edited by purnayoga 2007-01-09 7:46 PM
jonnie
Posted 2007-01-10 6:45 AM (#73513 - in reply to #73403)

Hi Niki,

If (as you state) you are considering teacher training, not to teach but to learn more about philosophy, I suggest choosing a Yogic Philosophy course.

Traditional Yoga Studies (TYS), the company of my favourite Yoga author, Georg Feuerstein offer a 250 hour distance learning program on Patanjali's Yoga Sutras and an 800 hour distance learning program on the history, philosophy and literature of Yoga. His wife posted information on these a few months ago.

http://www.traditionalyogastudies.com

The Foundation for the Preservation of the Mahayana tradition offer distance learning programs (with optional study at their centers) in Tibetan Buddhism.

http://www.fpmt.org/

Jonathon
sumbuddy
Posted 2007-01-10 1:17 PM (#73589 - in reply to #73403)

Awesome, thanks so much for all the advice and suggestions. I'll definitely look into all options and keep you posted on the events of my journey
Gruvemom
Posted 2007-01-10 1:34 PM (#73592 - in reply to #73589)

Try an intensive or weeklong workshop (as mentionned above) or some styles (Anusara) have immersions - sort of a cross between a workshop and a teacher training. 
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-18 7:54 AM (#74452 - in reply to #73403)

Hi, I was in the same position you're in, in fact I'm still sort of there myself right now. After about only a year of regular practice at a studio that's practically in my backyard, I realized I needed more, so I enrolled in the 200+ hour teacher training program there (started this past September, will finish in June). I work with people one-on-one as a personal trainer, so my goals aren't really set at teaching classes, nor have they ever been either. I do teach a couple fitness classes once a week and it's been a love-hate relationship for me for pretty much the entire time I've been doing that (three years or so). I find it difficult to feel effective for a group of people, rather than when it's only one person at a time. I don't know, maybe if and when I teach a yoga class, since the audience will be different (fitness vs. yoga), that issue won't be a factor. I've been told that what I'm trying to convey in my fitness classes is too subtle for "the masses" (YogaFit anyone?) and that people who attend those classes don't want to think so much, they just want the burn. Now I know that I definitely want to help other people learn and experience what I've been getting from all of my yoga practice (and we're not just talking asana here), so I do believe learning to be a yoga teacher is the right calling for me.

If you feel drawn to learn more, to study deeper, by all means go for it, and give no thought to your longer range plans right now. Though the general policy of my teacher is to have been practicing for at least a year before commiting to a teacher training program, and I tend to agree with that. Her suggestion when I first came to talk to her about wanting to sign up (and this was also after only about 6 months of practice) was to immerse myself in other aspects of yoga and attend the various other classes and workshops offered: sacred text study, meditation class, Kundalini, mantra practice, etc. At my studio, many of these classes are offered on a weekly basis, so I've been lucky enough to be practicing svadhyaya (self-study) pretty much as regularly as I do asana. If nothing else, delving into something like will definitely help inform you of what you really want in (and from) your yoga.

Hope that helped and good luck! OM

Posted 2007-01-18 9:51 AM (#74465 - in reply to #73403)

I've been told that what I'm trying to convey in my fitness classes is too subtle for "the masses" (YogaFit anyone?) and that people who attend those classes don't want to think so much, they just want the burn.

this has not been true in my experience. i wrote about it many times--but as i've said, i teach in gyms and they're smart enough and interested in the 'subtleties' of yoga, often even more so than those clients going to yoga studios. in fact, i've been 'let go' of by studios for 'teaching to much yoga when these students really just want asana." but at the gyms, i have freedom to teach what i feel i am lead to teach, what the students need--and the classes are large, people love the classes, and a number of my clients from studios have left those studios to take my classes in a dirty, messy room because they want yoga "not just the burn."

also, since you're already PTing, why not just add a bit of yoga to that? i teach a number of private clients--which i love and it's a totally different dynamic from teaching a class which i also love. so it's definately an option for you *if* you want to teach.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-18 12:06 PM (#74501 - in reply to #74465)

I think you may have misunderstood me (sorry about that)... I was talking about attempting to present subtlies when teaching FITNESS classes, not yoga classes. I don't presently teach yoga classes, in a gym or elsewhere. What I've been finding out is that the subtlies that I find so fascinating in yoga that I intuitively apply to my fitness teaching aren't as readily welcomed as I would've hoped for (I teach core training, interval strength and balance-based classes using the BOSU). A fitness audience isn't a yoga audience and vice versa, gym setting or otherwise, so yes I do agree with you on that point that yoga in a gym definitely does work.

I've been working with my private clients in yoga for a while now, so thanks, yes, I do know how rewarding that is . Again, unfortunately, it is met with some resistance, because for the most part, they really just don't want to think or feel, just move and do. So my client base isn't that huge. But I really couldn't imagine another way of training, honest. I guess my main point was to say that as much as there is lots of asana classes out there that are really just fitness in the setting of yoga (my personal experience with the YF training), what I do is present yoga in the setting of fitness. Yet another sublety, so there ya go.

Posted 2007-01-18 12:13 PM (#74502 - in reply to #73403)

i see what you are saying!

i know a couple of PTs who do a yoga segment at the end of the weights/cardio session--as the 'stretching' and then while doing it just talk about the subtler stuff in a "isn't this interesting?" tone.
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-18 12:39 PM (#74517 - in reply to #73403)

Expert Yogi

It's funny, this one gym I work at I teach two back to back classes. The first being a gentle yoga, then followed by a high intensity Pilates class. The girls in the pilates class didn't want to do yoga because they thought it wasn't a good workout. OK well I'm with these girls for 1.5 years (approx 30 women).
Slowly I am introducing them to Yoga (and the unity concept of self). Some absolutely love it but others said they want a heads up when I'm teaching it (I get to decide what class format to dish, poor girls ) because they think it's too difficult (the concentration).
They are definitely resistant but I'm working on the days we can practice straight Yoga for the 1 hour and 20 minutes I have them.

No ohming in Bally's. That's a No-No!

I do believe Crunch allows all Mind Body Teachers to express themselves based on their knowledge. I love working at Crunch. They created a Yoga room that is perfecto. They keep it 78-80 degrees with one uplight. Beautiful wood floors.

Edited by mishoga 2007-01-18 12:40 PM

Posted 2007-01-19 3:31 PM (#74667 - in reply to #73403)

i taught at bally's here for 1 year (then they changed rooms, did a whole push-pull thing with me, and so i gave another teacher the position), and i OMed there.

i had a lot of guys in that class, come to think of it. very interesting. i have a lot of male clients, now that i think of it, and even odder--i taught a class earlier this week that had only one female and 13 males.

i don't know what that has to do with anything, but it just occured to me.
ollie
Posted 2007-01-19 3:58 PM (#74676 - in reply to #74667)

zoebird - 2007-01-19 2:31 PM

i taught at bally's here for 1 year (then they changed rooms, did a whole push-pull thing with me, and so i gave another teacher the position), and i OMed there.

i had a lot of guys in that class, come to think of it. very interesting. i have a lot of male clients, now that i think of it, and even odder--i taught a class earlier this week that had only one female and 13 males.

i don't know what that has to do with anything, but it just occured to me.

Here is a guess: you present yourself as someone who insists on proper alignment and as somone who will correct a student who isn't doing the pose properly.

Guys tend to like that (many of us got used to football and wrestling coaches )
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-19 4:26 PM (#74683 - in reply to #73403)

Expert Yogi

I like teaching men. I don't have many classes that men participate but Bally's is one. About a dozen to 15 (class size is 35-40, I know, a lot)
Men are good when they focus. So are women but men, well........ men are men. And that's a compliment. I like Chaturanga Dandasana a lot. And men enjoy the challnege of that, at least in my opinion and experience.

Posted 2007-01-19 5:03 PM (#74691 - in reply to #73403)

my husband insists that guys really do like to be tortured by women.
ollie
Posted 2007-01-20 4:35 PM (#74797 - in reply to #74691)

zoebird - 2007-01-19 4:03 PM

my husband insists that guys really do like to be tortured by women.

Yep. That is one reason we get married.
Kym
Posted 2007-01-24 12:06 PM (#75122 - in reply to #73403)

OrangeMat,

I don't know you well, so I may be way off base here, but I think people have to want yoga, you can't try to make them want it. You sound dissapointed that they are not getting the yoga in your fitness classes, but that makes sense to me. I love yoga (all of it, not just asana) but don't love certain other types of exercise. If went into a yoga class and the teacher was slipping in some other format in, I'd be a little cheesed. There is a yoga teacher I know who slips in pilates, and it's not advertised as a piyo class, and it sort of bugs me. I'm paying for yoga, expect yoga, and want my yoga! So, someone who comes in and wants the burn and wants to kill her abs, or whatever, is not going to be that thrilled, IMO, to get yoga in the mix.

Even if I were seeing a personal trainer, I'd want what is being advertised. Again, as much as I LOVE yoga, I would be paying for a PT to teach me something different. Unless you are advertising that you are a PT who teaches pranayama, or meditation, or whatever, as well, then I'd keep them seperate. People may be interpreting that you are pushing your agenda on them, sort of like an evangelist.

I don't mean any offense. I'm just pointing out why you are getting resistance. Like ZB, I work in a gym, and I use sanskrit, definitely teach pranayama, occasionaly use imagery to bring in the emotional aspect of yoga, etc. They like it and my classes are packed. When you are ready to teach yoga, it will be a whole different ballgame b/c the people who show up want yoga.
Kym
Posted 2007-01-24 12:08 PM (#75123 - in reply to #74452)

OrangeMat - 2007-01-18 7:54 AM

I've been told that what I'm trying to convey in my fitness classes is too subtle for "the masses" (YogaFit anyone?) and that people who attend those classes don't want to think so much, they just want the burn.

I didn't understand that. Did you mean YF is only for the burn? How far did you go in your training with them?
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-24 1:00 PM (#75132 - in reply to #75122)

I didn't take any offense to your comments, but I do appreciate you being so careful in your words, really. I totally agree with your point about the expectation of the class participant is what matters the most, and I also don't like that much myself either (is piyo the same as yogalates? probably). But when I'm teaching crunches lying over the BOSU in my core training class and no one is feeling the muscles being engaged because they're all using secondary muscles to make their bodies make the "appropriate" shapes, that's what I'm talking about by being too subtle, or ineffective, or whatever. I don't teach pranayama or meditation in my classes; I teach isolation of certain muscle groups in order to work other muscle groups, such as stabilizing the lower back and hip flexors, and not pulling up with the arms and shoulders when doing crunches, in order for the exercise to really be performed by the muscles we're trying to target. In other words, I teach PROPER FORM. I try to teach concepts for how to hold and use the body functionally as a unit, and maybe that's just not what is wanted. For me, that's a yogic way of thinking, incorporating the entire body as a unit to make it do work, not just working the legs today, the arms tomorrow, and do my crunches as the end of every workout.

I was just discussing this dilemma of mine with a friend a little while ago, and it's her opinion as well that I get out of teaching fitness and move toward teaching a formal yoga class already. Thing is, I still really believe you can be successful working the body in a fitness setting with the mindset I have and want to share. I also have a problem with quitting (but that's a whole 'nother story!). We'll see.

Oh yes, and to address your comment about my PT clients... here's a great example: I have clients that say they hate lunges because it hurts their legs. So I tell them (and show them, and try over and over again to teach them) that lunges aren't so much about their legs but their core muscles, hips, pelvis, all that, and that they can use the strength there to hold themselves up. That's too hard to think like that, I'm told.

It's really hard for me to forget all that I know and just give them what they want. According to my friend (also a yoga teacher trainee), I'm very effective when teaching yoga, so that's what lends me to believe that the audiences do differ in how they learn, process and execute, regardless of what I'm actually teaching. Maybe I'm totally wrong, though. Who knows.

OM

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-24 1:05 PM (#75133 - in reply to #75123)

I completed Level I, Level II, Level III, Seniors and Core. About 2/3 of the way through the 200 hours, if I did the math right. I'm now about halfway through a different 200 hour RYT which I started this past September. I did learn quite a bit at YogaFit, especially in terms of alignment and adjusting in that I felt I was well prepared for the training in currently enrolled in. I know there have been many negative comments about Beth Shaw's form and alignment in this forum, but I've honestly got to say, I never really watched her when doing the home DVDs. I would only listen to her cues and then see if I felt how I'm supposed to feel in the pose (I supplemented that information with independent reading, YJ.com articles, etc.). When I finally did watch her once, I was appalled! Glad I never really looked.

OM

Kym
Posted 2007-01-24 5:03 PM (#75147 - in reply to #73403)

Well, not that it matters, but you did 7 days of training, (the core is no longer part of the hours needed for Alliance.) You'd need 4 days for retrain of level 1 & 2, 2 days for Anantomy and Alignment, and you'd need 4 days for level 4, 2 days for level 5, and one more full day of either prenatal or kids. That totals 13 more days, so what is that? About 1/3 finished?

Seems like to me you aren't explaining things in a difficult way! I don't know why people are thinking that. Maybe, like you said, they don't understand their bodies as well as some yoga people. When you practice yoga long enough, you do become very in tune with your body. Now, I have to admit, my anatomy terms are maybe not as technical as some people with more anatomy than me. I was a school teacher and school librarian with no formal education in group fitness. I will eventually learn it, but I have only read half of Coulter's book! Even still, not all the terminology is sticking with me. Maybe you are using technical terms? Some of that would go over my head. But, what you described (pelvic bowl) I'd understand.

Posted 2007-01-24 5:13 PM (#75148 - in reply to #73403)

Ollie, one of my personal heroes even though he didn't tell me he was coming to Texas wrote:
"Yep. That is one reason we get married."
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA--I needed that today!
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-24 6:09 PM (#75151 - in reply to #75147)

Kym - 2007-01-24 5:03 PM Well, not that it matters, but you did 7 days of training, (the core is no longer part of the hours needed for Alliance.) You'd need 4 days for retrain of level 1 & 2, 2 days for Anantomy and Alignment, and you'd need 4 days for level 4, 2 days for level 5, and one more full day of either prenatal or kids. That totals 13 more days, so what is that? About 1/3 finished?

Yes, you're absolutely right, only ONE-third finished. Pesky typo monster struck again!

OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-24 6:17 PM (#75152 - in reply to #75122)

Kym - 2007-01-24 12:06 PM When you are ready to teach yoga, it will be a whole different ballgame b/c the people who show up want yoga.

That's exactly what my trainee friend keeps telling me as well. Maybe if I were to meet some yoga teachers who also teach fitness, then I'd be able to gain a bit more perspective in that area. Anybody know of any?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)