YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

teacher training
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

joscmt
Posted 2007-01-09 6:11 PM (#73449)
Subject: teacher training

Ok, so I'm not anywhere near ready to do this.. but maybe down the road..not yet, I'm still finding myself in the context of yoga- who I connect with, who's style I like, etc.. BUT, I do have a question
How does someone go about teacher training if their weekends aren't free and/or they don't have a month to go spend somewhere, or they don't have the $$ to go to Mexico, India, or wherever else the training happens to take place. I've looked at several different programs I might be interested in for the future (just wanting to get an idea for costs, etc) BUT everything requires at least an ongoing, regular, full weekend committment.
Because of the restaurant, I work all weekend.. I can't just ditch out of here on a whim. My days off are even split (Mon, Wed). There aren't many things out there in the mornings on weekdays, or weekly at a certain time, etc. And it doesn't matter if it's a 200-hr, a 500-hr, whatever...as of right now, looks like it may never happen for me.. which may be fine too. It's something I'd like to get into as a pursue my nutrition degree... but maybe it's not meant to be.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joscmt
Posted 2007-01-09 6:11 PM (#73450 - in reply to #73449)
Subject: RE: teacher training

ok.... I'm not too superstitious, but my posts are now at 666.....

Edited by joscmt 2007-01-09 6:12 PM

Posted 2007-01-09 6:20 PM (#73451 - in reply to #73449)

well, the best suggestion that i have for you is to try to find a teacher who will mentor you and you can apprentice with him/her. you can formalize it in different ways--following the script of a regular teacher training for example--but do it at times that are more convenient for you (weekdays, for example).

my apprentices have rather hap-hazard schedules that are often widely divergent. when we do weekend stuff, it's determined well in advance and at a time that works for everyone--but most everything is done at other times, individually. usually before or after the classes that they take.

thus, teacher training is more free form time wise.

Posted 2007-01-09 6:25 PM (#73453 - in reply to #73451)

Plus kiddo, I was where you are and went with the Living Yoga program here in Texas--most of it is as you do it working with teachers of your choice. There is one 9 day resident requirement here in Austin Texas BUT, you can pay as you can for darn near as long as you need--there's all kinds of ways. Check out the web site: http://www.livingyogaprogram.com/
And, I'll come see you then! AND, just down the road a piece from Barsana Dahm where the residency is held, is the best BBQ place you can imagine--THAT caters to vegitarians as well.

Posted 2007-01-09 8:02 PM (#73460 - in reply to #73449)

Marylisa,

I'm going to take a different approach.
Go figure, right? :-)

Take a week off. Maybe that's impossible right now, in practice or in your imagination. Work toward that. Why? I think it takes something to be in a teacher training. It can be done in different ways. Those different ways are legitimate for the most part. But you have to consider what you want out of it.

With a week off you can go somewhere (not international), have a clear mind to be present around the oodles of information you'll be trying to absorb, and stay focused. I believe it's very tough when there's constant disconnection. I'm not surmising. I am drawing upon personal experience.

And it will happen if it is menat to and you pour yourself into the manifesting of it, then let it go.

joscmt
Posted 2007-01-10 12:16 AM (#73489 - in reply to #73449)

Thanks for all the different suggestions. That's why I wanted to put it out there right now. Personally, I don't feel as though I'm in the place right now to embark on this... I'm still working out all the "junk" in my own brain- rediscovering my own spirituality, getting my own health back in order.

zoe- I've thought about that approach, and I have a couple of teachers now that I would possibly talk to about this.

bruce- I'll check it out for sure

purna- I see what you're saying too. Right now, it's not possible (which may be a reason to hold off for some time). My husband and I can't even get a vacation longer than 4 days right now and even then, that's only about every other year. Not to mention, I'll be starting a Master's Program on top of everything else in May. So life's going to get crazy real soon.

For right now, I think I'm just going to continue absorbing info here, reading books, yoga- asana, philosophy, background, etc- I'll be taking Anatomy and Physiology this year, as well as Biochemistry..... I'll just keep moving in that direction. I just didn't know what other options were out there..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)