YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can't do both?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> Oriental MassageMessage format

slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-12 11:52 AM (#73863)
Subject: Can't do both?

One of my yoga instructors offers thai yoga massage and I discussed taking a session with her... However, she suggested that she does not recommend doing yoga on the same day as you get a thai yoga massage, as it might be "too much"... I'm having a difficult time accepting to sacrifice one of my treasured yoga sessions for a passive massage session... So perhaps I'm looking for a second opinion. If, for example, I have the massage early and attend a yoga class about 5 or 6 hours later (provided of course that I listen to my body and it feels like it can do it), would that be alright?

I guess the real problem is that I'm not "sold" yet on the concept of yoga massage, so I don't like the idea of skipping something that I already know makes me feel great (and my day does not feel complete without) in order to try this. Is there some some beneficial effect on regular (Ashtanga/Hatha) yoga practice that can be reaped from having a thai yoga massage?

I would appreciate any stories of personal experience or expertise to help encourage me to try this. Thanks, sp
Top of the page Bottom of the page
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-12 11:57 AM (#73866 - in reply to #73863)
Subject: RE: Can't do both?

One more thing. I understand that thai yoga massage involves being moved into yoga poses, rather than moving yourself into those poses with your muscles, and therefore allows for deeper stretches and such. But the word massage is throwing me off. Does it also involve the usual rubbing and kneading that is part of traditional massage forms? I think my back could use a good rub after all those miserable attempts at salabhasana! sp
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-12 12:39 PM (#73869 - in reply to #73863)

Om Namah Sivaya
SP,

I would not consider a TYM "passive" it is actually a pretty intense workout for the indivudual giving the massage and the person recieving the massage has been known to feel the effects several days afterwards compared to traditional western massage which is a few hours......

Om Shanti,
Ravi
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-12 12:45 PM (#73871 - in reply to #73863)

Pardon my misconception, I really don't have much of a clue what I'm getting myself into here. So basically, Ravi, you're saying that you also would not suggest yoga on the same day? sp
Ravi
Posted 2007-01-12 12:58 PM (#73875 - in reply to #73863)

I would suggest atleast for your first TYM to take a day of rest and see how you react to the massage............ trust me there will be nothing wrong with one day of rest........... your practice will still be there the following day.....
tourist
Posted 2007-01-12 7:36 PM (#73900 - in reply to #73875)

Expert Yogi

sp - I don't like to go to class any day I have body work done. It feels "wrong" and i need to let the work settle into my body. Of course, I would go to massage etc after 3 pm and yoga class at night, so not much time to assimilate. This is just me - actually, me and a few friends. Mr. Tourist thinks I am nuts. Not just about this, either!
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-13 8:36 AM (#73920 - in reply to #73863)

Thanks for your advice folks, I'll arrange an appointment either Friday this week or the following one. And I won't do any yoga that day, promise. I'll report my experience here, methinks.

sp
tourist
Posted 2007-01-13 10:04 AM (#73930 - in reply to #73920)

Expert Yogi

Don't rule out the idea of practicing before your massage. That is actually a really good idea to get your body and mind warmed up enjoy!
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-13 12:46 PM (#73943 - in reply to #73863)

Interesting... I had asked if I could practice beforehand, and she told me that she recommended no practice at all that day. But it did seem to me like a good idea and a good form of warm-up. Perhaps I will just do a few sun salutations on my own in the morning before I go, instead of a full hour and a half class...

sp
jonnie
Posted 2007-01-13 2:09 PM (#73950 - in reply to #73863)

Hi slowpie,

My advice is if you trust your teacher, then follow her advice.

If you don't trust your teacher, then find one you do trust and study under them.

Jonathon
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-13 3:27 PM (#73968 - in reply to #73863)

Excellent advice, Jonnie. I think I do indeed need to learn to trust her, which is not always easy for an eternal skeptic like myself . Part of my problem is that I am completely unfamiliar with Thai Yoga Massage, which is all the more reason to trust her judgement, no doubt. Which is what I've decided to do, after all this talk. Thanks, sp
ellen
Posted 2007-01-13 3:58 PM (#73975 - in reply to #73968)

Hi slowpie :D

I hope you post what the experience was like for you. I've never done it, and would love to hear details... (whoops, after careful rereading of the thread, I see you already said you'd do that... well, I want to say hi anyway : ))

Edited by ellen 2007-01-13 4:00 PM
tourist
Posted 2007-01-13 7:29 PM (#73987 - in reply to #73975)

Expert Yogi

sp - I would be really curious to know why no practice before the treatment would be suggested. I don't see a rationale behind that.
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-14 1:11 AM (#74001 - in reply to #73863)

Hi Ellen, I'll report back as I promised... have yet to make my appointment, but I hope it's this week.

As to why she recommended not doing yoga beforehand, tourist, well... From what I gathered, she feels that the stimulation and stretch experienced in the massage might be too intense if it is added on top of a prior workout. I'll admit that what she said didn't really convince me of much in that regard, so I think I'll ask her again to explain the rationale behind that when I book my appointment. As I'm planning on going on a Friday, it would be in lieu of a hatha yoga session (which she teaches) that I find much less difficult than the other 4 sessions I go to (Ashtanga at various levels of difficulty, whatever fits in my schedule). I appreciate the Hatha class because it gives me a mid-week "breather" of sorts, resting up my body a bit after two hard-core sessions and before two other much more demanding sessions - plus, the more leisurely pace and looser structure gives me time to focus more on my alignment... My point is that this hatha yoga session is one where I purposefully go less deeply into the poses, and therefore experience less intense stretch, so that I can make micro-adjustments to my posture. And so, it would seem to me like following up this particular class with the TYM would not be such a bad idea. Anyways, I'll discuss it with her further, and as jonnie recommended, I'll accept and trust what she tells me.

I should note that her words were to the effect that she doesn't recommend yoga (before or after) on the same day the *first* time you get a TYM... So perhaps her caution is with regards to not doing yoga until you have experienced this massage and know how it affects your body. So maybe, for some folks, it's not a problem to practice before, or after, or both even, but she seemed to think that it was best to try it first on its own. One good point that just dawned on me: if I really want to feel the benefits of this massage, I'd be best to do it in "isolation" from other activities that affect my body and spirit... If I do yoga as well, I might not be certain what the "cause" of the effects was, as there would have been two "independant variables" at work. This way, whatever I will feel after the massage, I'll know that it was the direct cause of it...

sp

ps: gosh, I'm so long-winded... sorry!
Orbilia
Posted 2007-01-15 6:02 AM (#74097 - in reply to #74001)

I've not experienced this form of massage but if it's anything like shiatsu or a sports massage, then I can well understand why you'd be advised not to do any other physical activity the same day. Whist the muscle movement is being done to you rather than by you, it is still intense and can leave you feeling like you've had a work out! In fact, my last sports' massage left my shoulders feeling like I'd been beaten with a rolling pin the next day (no pain no gain with years of keyboard work haveing knotted my shoulders and rotator cuffs solid).

My sports physio also recommends that you drink lots of water for 48 hours after a thereputic massage in order to assist the body in removing any toxins released by the massage (e.g. sports massage has an aim to break up scar tissue that's restricting muscle movement).

Fee
*Fifi*
Posted 2007-01-15 12:18 PM (#74135 - in reply to #73863)

I'd either take a break from yoga on the day I receive Thai massage or just do restorative yoga. Or chant and meditate. Be still and enjoy the effects of Thai massage.

I know in regards to acupuncture, in a perfect world, the patient could go home and rest for at least 2 hours and not do intense (anything other than restorative yoga) yoga. No running, no lifting weights, no sex...but, we don't live in a perfect world and the professional athlete must continue practicing and the blackjack dealer must go to work and the busy mom must pick up her kids and take them to karate practice....

Just remember, usually less is more. OM...less is more...Om....less is more....
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-16 9:22 AM (#74251 - in reply to #74097)

Orbilia, I hope I do feel like I've had a bit of a work out, but I'd prefer if it didn't involve pain... I've learnt through yoga that I don't need pain to have gain - or more to the point, if there is pain, there probably won't be any gain. I'm expecting some physical feelings, and hopefully some of that "good ache" that comes from having worked your muscles to the point of exhaustion but not injury...

Thanks for the tip about water, I have been drinking a whole lot more since I began regular practice (prior to that, I was drinking so little that I almost morphed into a camel ), but I wouldn't have thought to increase my intake a bit to aid in the release of those toxins. TYM is said to do a lot for releasing those toxins, so I'm sure your advice is to the point.

sp
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-16 9:28 AM (#74253 - in reply to #74135)

Fifi, do you think that ideally, I should spend the entire day at rest, not even going to work? I have to work in the evening, maybe 5 hours after the end of the massage, and my job is physically quite demanding... I work as a waitress, so I'll spend hours on my feet, hauling around heavy loads of plates and stuff... Skipping work might be possible, or maybe instead scheduling the massage on a day I don't work. I understand that less is more, but maybe a full day's rest might be too much?

sp
Orbilia
Posted 2007-01-16 9:47 AM (#74256 - in reply to #74251)

Slowpie,
when my sports physio works my shoulders and rotator cuffs, there's some pain when he uses certain pressure points to encourage my nerves to tell my muscles to relax. Before he started those on the top of my shoulder, into my neck were so tight that afterward, they sat an inch lower than before!! Or, rather, this is good pain, it just doesn't feel like it at the time! Similarly, when my osteopath works my back, just below the neck, it's uncomfortable but aches like the very devil later. Give it a couple of days, and everything feels wonderful, honest :-) ! As time's gone on, there's been a permanant improvement so each session is less intense than the one before. That said, my right rotator cuff still has less rotation than I know it could have. I do exercises set me by the sports physio on top of the yoga so things are improving slowly. I do have 20 odd years of working with a keyboard to undo however

Fee

slowpie6 - 2007-01-16 2:22 PM

Orbilia, I hope I do feel like I've had a bit of a work out, but I'd prefer if it didn't involve pain... I've learnt through yoga that I don't need pain to have gain - or more to the point, if there is pain, there probably won't be any gain.

Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-16 1:26 PM (#74287 - in reply to #74253)

Expert Yogi

Slowpie,

You should rest at least 2-3 hours after any massage, body work or acupuncture. It allows the body time to rebalance and organize. It's like doing Savasana at the end of yoga asana practice. So, if you can't rest all day, at least rest 2-3 hours completely, then go to work. A full day's rest is best, especially with having a job like you described. Good luck trying to find your happy-medium,
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-17 12:31 PM (#74399 - in reply to #73863)

Well, I just called to try and book my appointment for this Friday. I don't know whether it will be convenient for my teacher yet, I'll find out tomorrow in class. But it's too late to take off of work now, so the happy medium will have to be a few hours of rest after the session. I guess I will find out whether next time it would be better to schedule a full day's rest. I've never had any form of body work done, so this is all new to me. I just secretly hope that I don't like it too much, because it could get expensive! I think my teacher's rates are fair though, it's not like I'm being robbed.

Generally speaking, I'm not the "resting" type, and it took me some time to grasp the importance of Savasana. I get it now, mind you. Another form of rest I've recently found to be beneficial is the importance of taking a day or two away from practice. It's almost as though during those off days, my body "assimilates" what it has been taught, and suddenly, the next time I practice, it all seems clearer and less "forced". I guess it's similar to when you are studying for a test and you book the last day before the exam for *not* thinking about it or studying... I always perform better when I do that. And I feel less stress.

sp
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-17 3:22 PM (#74414 - in reply to #73863)

Oops, no luck on this Friday. Officially reserved my spot for the following Friday though.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-19 5:26 PM (#74694 - in reply to #74414)

Hi, I've had several Thai massage sessions, and believe it or not, each one has been very different regardless of how I felt and what I did physically that day. Thai works not only the physical body, but also the energetic body. No, let me rephrase that: it works the energetic body just as much as the physical body, if not even more. Have you ever had any sort of bodywork treatment? Any energy releases? If not, then you really have no frame of reference as to how this type of "massage" might affect you, and so of course I understand your skepticism toward skipping a yoga class. Imagine having a really good cry that had been building up in your system for weeks. You're emotionally exhausted afterward, right? Physically so as well, for sure. You probably COULD go take a yoga class afterward, but would you really WANT to? Now I'm not saying that having a Thai massage will make you cry (though maybe it might, who knows), but it could cause the same sort of all-levels exhaustion for you (physical, emotion, energetic, you name it).

Am I making any sense here? I hope so. I guess the best thing to say is go in with an open mind and allow whatever happens to happen. Observe rather than judge. And if you don't usually get a strong energetic response to asana practice, then it would probably be OK to do a light to medium practice several hours beforehand. Though you never know...

One more thing... not only the recipient of the massage reacts to the energy being released during the massage, but also the person giving the massage. I remember feeling very agitated several hours after a Thai session (not my first, though), almost angry but with really no reason for it. When I saw co-owner of the studio who performed the massage on me the next day, he said he was feeling very out of sorts for several hours after as well. Energy is as energy does, I guess.

OM

slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-20 2:41 AM (#74732 - in reply to #74694)

Wow, that's very interesting OM, I admit I have no clue what to expect out of this session. I mentioned that I've never had any body work done, and nothing that involved energy release or whatever. I've had "home" massages but my boyfriend is a layman and doesn't have any researched skills in the practice. Sometimes he hits the right spot and the release is amazing, but more often than not, it feels good but not especially...restorative, healing, calming, energy releasing or whatever else a massage can be. So this is all unchartered territory, and I'm more anxious than ever to experience it. I think I'm going into it with an open mind, and I don't think I'm skeptical any more either. I'm not going to practice that day, and just go with the flow of the massage and see how it affects me. But I'll admit a new concern from reading about your "angry" experience... I think one of the reasons that I have never had any body work done is that I always conceived of it as extremely intimate and, being a rather private person, I didn't think it would make me comfortable. The idea of somehow "sharing" my private energies (whatever they may be) with my teacher through this massage is a bit off-putting. Thankfully, though, I consider her to be a very empathic, warm, and comforting person, so if I can't let go with her, I'd never be able to do it with anybody. It would be a shame though if my hesitation or retiscence to "let it all out" (gosh, I really don't think there is any way that I could break down crying, I simply could not deal with being so emotionally exposed!) kept me from experiencing all the possible benefits of TYM.

sp
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-20 8:18 AM (#74745 - in reply to #74732)

Just to clarify, I wasn't angry during the massage, just several hours later, a residual effect of the treatment, I guess you could say. And maybe I'm more of an extreme example of how someone could react, because I have energy releases all the time, regardless of wanting them to happen (one practioner I went to recently said I would've been burned at the stake had this been colonial times, too funny). But don't be put off to the experience, odds are you'll have a most pleasant experience, at most it'll just be a bit tiring in a way you might not be used to. I was just trying to explain why the other posters were cautioning you not to plan to practice after your treatment, and maybe also not before as well.

Also, I didn't cry during the massage, in case I wasn't clear there either. I was talking about a similar sort of after-effect feeling, the huge sense of relief after once you've had a big cry, the associated sadness notwithstanding. You know, it's so hard to explain in words something that has nothing to do with the discerning mind. We go through life evaluating things with our minds (we like, we don't like) and with our bodies (it feels good, it doesn't feel good), and here we're talking about something that really doesn't apply to either of those (uh oh, I keep stepping into woo-woo territory, I'm sorry, can't help it ).

Here's another way to consider it (see, you've got to keep presenting ways that the mind knows how to associate experiences in order to understand them, that's the nature of how the mind works): you've had adjustments in savasana, right? Thai is pretty much one big long savasana adjustment session (which of course is finished with a traditional savasana, did you know that?). My personal tendency is to get all these shakes and tremors when I first lay down for savanasa even in a traditional asana class, since like I said, I've got a lot of energy that likes to move through me (lucky me). If that's not your tendency, then I wouldn't worry about any sort of emotional or energetic infringement happening to you by your teacher. It's sort of interesting to me that you took it as stepping on your own personal boundaries with experiencing an energy release with someone else. Me, I always just worry about freaking the other person out (physical therapist, massage therapist, chiropractor, etc.) when they first have me lay down on my back and I start to have all these tremors and twitches take over me (kind of like how a dog shakes itself to get rid of being wet, if you can picture that). Good thing in Thai energy release is really what it's allĀ about, which is why they always start at the feet to ground you.

LOL, I feel like I'm making it worse every time I write something else to assuage you. Just don't worry and enjoy it, and I'll go shut up now

OM

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)