YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can't do both?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Massage -> Oriental MassageMessage format

tourist
Posted 2007-01-20 10:03 AM (#74756 - in reply to #74745)
Subject: RE: Can't do both?

Expert Yogi

Another perspective - I have had tons o' deep body work and never had an emotional response. I do feel "beat up" sometimes and desperately need to rest, but nothing worse than that. And I have had plenty o' traumas in my life that could be responsible for things that needed to be "released." OTOH, I have had asana classes that hit my laugh button from time to time
Top of the page Bottom of the page
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-20 1:48 PM (#74781 - in reply to #73863)

Ah, OM, don't worry about freaking me out, anyways, I'm sure to go and nothing will stop me now. My appointment is booked and I'm really excited about it. The whole thing about "sharing energies" with another person, and my hesitation about that, probably has a lot to do with my bad habit of bottling up emotions, negative ones especially. I've been handling a good dose of anxiety lately too, having to do with my eternal procrastination towards finishing my university studies, and I've been dealing with that by suppressing it because actually facing it would mean I would have to get some work done... So there may well be an energy release of some sort, provided I am capable of letting it go and letting it out...

I'm not sure that I've ever really had an energy release during practice either, but maybe. I have on a few occasions experienced a sort of full body "ripple", coming from my core and emanating outwards to the extremities. Sort of like a shiver, but not. It felt like this pulse travelling through my entire body, maybe coursing through my nerves and kind of like exiting through my skin, tickling me slightly. It felt great. In fact, in trying to describe it now, I just had that feeling again. It happened to me in savasana (in which I have never had adjustments, by the way... didn't think they did that).

In my class today, my teacher who is the one that will give me the TYM attended as a student. Prior to class, she did this thing for a friend of hers, don't know if they were just messing around or if it's something that is sometimes part of TYM. I don't know how they got into that position, but she was lying on her back and supporting the other student with her feet at her sacrum (I think) and her hands on her shoulders, with the other student in a position that ressembled urdhva dhanurasana, but off the ground, floating in the air. Anyways, it seemed amazing, and must have felt fantastic.

Ack! Can't wait til Friday! I'm totally psyched about this!

sp

Edited by slowpie6 2007-01-20 1:50 PM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-20 4:49 PM (#74798 - in reply to #74781)

slowpie6 - 2007-01-20 1:48 PM

It happened to me in savasana (in which I have never had adjustments, by the way... didn't think they did that).

In our teacher training we're learning to give these adjustments, such as grounding the feet and ankles inward and outward, like you'll be experiencing once you have your Thai massage (we did an intro workshop on Thai in our training as well; maybe I'll go do the complete certification for that some day as well). The legs can be picked up about 12 inches off the floor and gently pulled away from the body, very nice to release the lower back and sacrum. We also press down on the knees, hips and shoulders (not all at once, obviously) to continue to ground. Then there's the massage of the head and neck: lengthening the head away from the torso, massaging the cranial bones behind the ears, on the face, etc., gently rubbing the third eye point on the forehead, and (my favorite, which I do on my own sometimes when I need it) pressing in and up at the occiput, that indented space at the base of the skull. Major amounts of energy release with that one, feels like waves of water or something gushing out of the top of my head when I do that (I'm so weird, I know!).

slowpie6 - 2007-01-20 1:48 PM

I don't know how they got into that position, but she was lying on her back and supporting the other student with her feet at her sacrum (I think) and her hands on her shoulders, with the other student in a position that ressembled urdhva dhanurasana, but off the ground, floating in the air.

Sounds like something out of the circus, cool! Where was the lifted person's arms, just hanging down? Definitely something I've never seen before, at least not in yoga class. I'm going to have to have my husband try that one with me later, just for fun (hope he doesn't drop me!).

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-01-20 4:51 PM
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-21 5:20 PM (#74868 - in reply to #73863)

Those adjustments all sound very interesting OM, and relaxing too. In my classes, we are verbally instructed to do various things (stretch out the legs, tense the muscles and then release, letting the feet fall out to the sides, for example) in savasana, but we are not given any actual adjustments. I'm guessing I'll get to experience some of that in my massage next week (only 5 days to go, yippee!!).

As for the floating urdhva dhanurasana, the student just let her legs and arms dangle downwards towards the ground, stretched out by gravity. I overheard her say that the feeling was similar to what you might feel when you are suspended upside down by the feet... Speaking of that, my father has purchased this contraption that is designed specifically for hanging upside down like that, and I wanted to try it while I visited for the holidays, but unfortunately I was quite ill so didn't get around to it. I've always wished I could do that, I imagine it must feel amazing for the spine to be drawn the other way for a change... and although I practice handstand and headstand, which I guess has a similar effect, I'm not sure it would be the same to actually be able to hang while letting all your muscles release their tension. Anyways, I was also thinking of asking my man to be the support for me in that pose, I'm fairly certain he vouldn't drop me, he's strong as an ox, but I think he'd want nothing to do with it. And I think he wouldn't really be comfortable for long with his back on the hard floor, he's not used to that. But it doesn't hurt to ask, right? Any luck on getting your husband to do this for you?

sp
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-21 8:14 PM (#74873 - in reply to #74868)

I actually had forgotten about that "circus trick" pose (like a bear spinning a ball with its hind legs, can you see it?) until now, I have to admit. I just mentioned it to him, and he really had no interest in trying (too caught up in the paperwork he brought home with him from work). Oh well, maybe another time...
slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-25 12:46 PM (#75232 - in reply to #73863)

Yoopie!! My TYM is tomorrow. When I promised my teacher that I would heed her advice and skip class before the TYM, she said that if I felt up to it later on, I could do some yoga, but not before... The point is moot because I will be working later in the day, but I thought it might be of interest to some of you. Still finding it odd that before would be contraindicated. But then again, I'll show up all stiff, with my muscles not warmed up, so that should help her identify my tight spots...

sp
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-25 6:49 PM (#75288 - in reply to #75232)

Talk about timing... on the cover of this month's Yoga Journal magazine that came in the mail today: "Find Bliss With Thai Massage". It's about partner Thai massage, but still, hope you find your bliss tomorrow!

OM

slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-26 10:10 AM (#75330 - in reply to #73863)

I sure hope I find my bliss too!!! And it couldn't possibly have been a better day for this. My back is all sore from having hand washed a bunch of clothes while bent over awkwardly over the sink. And my energy level is low because I had the most awful sleep last night after catching the cough that has been keeping my boyfriend up all week. So I'm not in such good shape for a demanding yoga workout (even though I would normally have attended a hatha session today, which is more manageable than ashtanga when you're feeling out of sorts).

Less than 2 hours to go now! I'll report back later.

sp
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)