YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Studio
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Anusara YogaMessage format

samantha77
Posted 2007-01-13 11:49 AM (#73938)
Subject: New Studio

Extreme Veteran

So I've been drifting from studio to studio for awhile, trying to find one that I like, and yesterday I took a class at a Anusara studio, and I loved it!  The studio is a little bit of a drive for me, but it's worth it.  The teacher gave me corrections that I've never gotten before.  Some where such minor little corrections, but they changed the way an entire pose felt for me.  I'm so exited about this studio that I can't wait to go back.  Some of the other studios I've gone to lately, the classes were ok, but something just didn't fit.  I'm curious now as to how all of you have gone about picking you studios.  How did you know you were in the right place?

Samantha

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-01-13 7:11 PM (#73982 - in reply to #73938)
Subject: RE: New Studio

Expert Yogi

I went where my teacher told me to go I knew right away I was in the right style for me - lucky me!

Posted 2007-01-14 9:32 AM (#74031 - in reply to #73938)

when i first started taking yoga classes, i took at the only studio in town--and that teacher informed me of the other studio (out of town but nearby) and then i started taking there too. and then later i found the third teacher on my own (at my husband's gym, no less!)

when i moved from university to where i live now, i shopped around. there were only 3 studios in a reasonable distance at the time--and i just picked the one i enjoyed the most. i practiced there for a number of years before needing to move on.

today, i don't practice at any studio regularly--mostly relying on my home practice.

but, i do travel up to NYC (i'm there now, waiting for my friend to get ready so we can breakfast before i head home) to study with dharma mittra when i can--i picked him sort of by accident.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-22 5:15 PM (#74955 - in reply to #73938)

I took my first "true" Anusara class today, also at a studio in NJ (could we be neighbors?), and this was four months after my teacher training mentor had recommended it to me! Guess I just wasn't ready for it when she first mentioned it. The studio where I've been practicing for the past two and a half years (my entire yoga "life" so far) does a meld of all different styles; if you ask the teacher/owner what style yoga she practices, she'll tell you she practices yoga, plain and simple. So I've known nothing other than that as well.

The reason I first started going where I go is that the studio is 2 miles from my house. Before that, I was doing DVDs at home for about a year, which I really don't count as having practiced yoga, even though I was familiar with most all of the basic asanas from my first class. So when I was ready to finally go out there into the world and interact (I felt it was way past time for me to find a real live teacher), I did a web search and tried the first studio that was the closest to me geographically. Turns out, a friend of mine had been telling me for months about this particular studio, but I just wasn't ready to listen (funny how that happens, eh?). This friend has now become a very good friend and we're both currently taking the 200 hour teacher training together, along with 14 other women. Can you imagine the shakti going on with that group?!

My mentor has also recommended another Anusara studio, about 40 minutes from my house, where she did her training. I hear they have a 3-hour master class there on the first Wednesday of every month, so maybe I'll try that one out in a couple weeks. Another girl from my training had also recommended that studio as well, so we'll see.

It's so funny, when I first heard from the other trainees that they take classes in other studios, I thought it was like heresy or something. Since that studio has been my first and only studio, I identify yoga with it and would never even think to go look for another place to practice (other than at home, of course). I guess being halfway through the program now, I'm feeling the urge to expand outward, and it's not as scary as it was when I first started. And that was exactly the theme of the class today: pull inward and strengthen, then expand outward and shine. I like that. It made me smile.

OM

Edited by OrangeMat 2007-01-22 5:17 PM
samantha77
Posted 2007-01-22 11:12 PM (#74985 - in reply to #73938)

Extreme Veteran

We might be talking about the same studio  I was supposed to go to class this morning, but ended up having to wait for a repirman to come(and I swore I wouldn't let anything get in the way of going every Monday!
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-23 6:31 AM (#75011 - in reply to #74985)

A friend of mine was on her way to the class yesterday morning but never made it there: the traffic was so bad, she had to turn around and go home. I think that's even worse than wanting to go and not being able to because of being stuck home waiting on a repairman (I've had that happen several times and I know how frustrating that is). You really have to practice your yoga then in not being attached to attending class.

I normally attend a meditation class on Tuesdays followed by an asana class at my regular studio, but I have a PT client coming this morning at the same time as the asana class. She normally would've come yesterday but didn't, which is why I was able to attend the Anusara class. As much as I love working with my clients, I sometimes find it difficult to shift the focus from what I want to what they want. I tend to feel caught between being the student and being the teacher, like I can't exactly find my identity there yet. But I guess it's all part of the process, since I am still only in teacher training. Attachment is such a tough thing.

OM

YoGanesha
Posted 2007-02-02 10:26 PM (#76209 - in reply to #73938)

The first time I attended a yoga class was at Gold's (ny) gym a few years ago. The enviroment was cold and the classroom was way too big (i'm more of an intimate type of person). It was the first and last time I did yoga until recently. Although I didn't really enjoy the class, I never ruled out yoga. I knew someday I would be back, at a different point in my life, not at at gold's gym though.

anyway... I got married a couple years ago and moved out of my home state and into a town with no culture. Needless to say I got extremely homesick and and was looking for something that would remind me of nyc. Driving nearby to visit a relative I spotted a modern looking center. At first I thought it was a rehabilitation center so didn't give it much thought. I did think it would be nice if there were more places like that instead of redneck bars and dives. Fastfoward to a few weeks ago...I found a health food store and saw a business card with the same log as this "rehab" center. I found out the place wasn't a rehab center after all and in fact a message and yoga center. When i visited their website and saw the pictures of the inside, I fell in love! It was so dark, peaceful, warm and intimate. Vrey chic. That's all it took for me to sign up. So for me personally it started with the way the place looked. Then I met a wonderful teacher that just made me fall in love with it even more. I'm so glad I found this center, and I hope I can continue to go there for a very long time.
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-05 8:25 PM (#76536 - in reply to #73938)

For me, I had been searching for a studio with regular classes that fit into my schedule. I don't work a regular 9-5 job, so it proved to be quite a challenge. After I got back from a yoga conference this fall, I was determined to find a studio. I found one in DC that fit the bill.. multiple classes that fit my schedule, reasonably priced.. so I went and checked it out. I really dug the "vibe" I got when I first got inside. Then I took a class... and fell in love. Turns out the teachers follow a lineage that I repeatedly (and accidentally) find myself drawn to- I think someone's trying to tell me something . The glove just seemed to fit. There's also a teacher at my Gold's who I really like and respect. She teaches at a local studio....they just didn't have classes that fit my schedule.. but I try to make her class at Gold's as well.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)