YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

teaching teens
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

yogaspy
Posted 2007-01-16 11:25 PM (#74332)
Subject: teaching teens

Hello,
I'm about to start teaching a class geared toward teens and I was hoping some of you would have tips for me... Have any of you had a lot of experience with teens? How do you appeal to teenagers specifically and make the practice relatable and fun? Also, how do you deal with disciplinary issues in a teen class? I did a workshop with a group of teens a while back who weren't really interested and I ended up spending most of the class trying to talk over unruly students... I'm hoping my next experience (at a studio--not an after-school program this time--thank goodness!) will be a more positive one.
Any advice is much appreciated!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-01-17 1:23 AM (#74346 - in reply to #74332)
Subject: RE: teaching teens

Any group not wanting to be there would be difficult to deal with. And it's a falacy that adults are well behaved. Some are not - dropping their keys, undoing velcro, snapping their mat.

In a studio you might have a different experience.
One of the things I like about the studio where I teach is that the authorization form new students sign points out that just as students choose a teacher so to do teachers choose their students. The teacher may ask the student to leave. And this might be worth pointing out.

You will have their attention initially and as long as you are not overly permissive right out of the gate you should be able to handle them. Let them know this is a practice of focus and concentration. Let them know that they are to focus on their own practice AND listen to the teacher so they do not sustain injuries.

It is always easier in the teaching process with young people to begin stern and soften over time. If you are a marshmallow right out of the gate it is very tough with that age group to recover.

When teaching, do challenge them, work them, but do not emphasize perfecting the poses. Just effort to give them the experience of the pose.

Keep your eyes open. You'll know what's next.
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-17 8:01 AM (#74363 - in reply to #74332)

Expert Yogi

I think it's important to relate the practice to how they live their life. They fret over teenager issues. I can remember what was important to me as a teenager.....being accepted was a big one.
It's important to stress how yoga breathing is a wonderful alternative to acting out, screaming, becoming frustrated or insecurity issues. Teach them to openly love themselves.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-17 11:22 AM (#74389 - in reply to #74332)

Expert Yogi

Yogaspy,

My daughter who is 14, goes to Yoga class and participates in the class. She's on her 3rd semester doing it completely.

Having that said, my daughter is homeschooled and is exceptional due to the fact that she knows how to interact with adults. Most of the teenagers in highschool these days are not focused, they are scattered and mindless. Mostly this is due to their environment and their dietary habits which make them very hyperactive. So, what to do??

Teenagers have short attention spans too. I would break the class up in 4 parts. If its an hour class, do 15 minutes of talk time - group participation works well. This would be a good time to do some anatomy and perhaps show them some pictures, videos or explanation about the fact they don't have to compete and be in the posture 100%...teenagers come from competitive environments which need to be addressed first. Then the second part, I would do 30 mins of Asana's with detailed instruction and alignment. I would pick only a few asana's, don't overwhelm them at once. Then the last 15 minutes, you can do quiet time by either meditation and Savasana combined. If you break up the class, and that could mean anything, any combination....you distract them from becoming distracted. Does that make sense?? Definitely make it interesting. Play their music during Savasana...such as Angels and Airways, my daughter recommends U2's song, "One step Closer", They need something they can relate to, but at the same it needs to be neutral and something that isn't going to over-stimulate them back into hyperness.... Good luck.

One more thing, you must establish the ground rules of yoga in a diplomatic way, otherwise they will drive you insane. Be consistent, if anything, consistency will be your life force. In fact, if they don't behave, follow the rules, or it gets unbearable, send them home early and release the class. Don't FORCE anything upon them and most importantly, don't reward their bad behavior. Let them earn it and prove their worthiness. Otherwise its a waste of time and they'll just laugh and make fun of yoga, which would not be very good also.

Edited by Cyndi 2007-01-17 11:26 AM

Posted 2007-01-17 11:40 AM (#74392 - in reply to #74332)

i teach teens in essentiall the same way that it each adults. i find that many of my adult clients have many off the same issues as the teen ones (or vice versa if you want to put it that way. ) that cyndi mentioned.

i have teens in my adult classes; i tend not to teach teens separately.

but when i do, i teach a lot about philosophy, meditation, right action, pranayama. asana is probably the least important aspect, but it does help with those other aspects which really seem to interest teens.
yogabrian
Posted 2007-01-17 11:52 AM (#74396 - in reply to #74332)

Structure, structure, structure! It sound strange but create a very structure environment for them to practice. They will whine and moan, but their teenagers, that what they do!

When working with teens I find it important to set the guidelines for the class everytime you see them. Tell them the rules in advance and really stick to them. If one of the gets out of line don't be afraid to enforce the rule. I used to try the "Buddy" approach, but the get hip real quick and you spend your time getting worked from every angle.

Give them some structure and they will love you forever!

Posted 2007-01-17 12:31 PM (#74400 - in reply to #74396)

I'll second Brian's guidance. I love kids and vice versa but we're never friends. One 12 year old boy had to be wrestled into submission once and then I had him call me "furher" from then on. His mom still sends me emails saying that he misses my class and that she appreciated my discipline.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-01-17 2:14 PM (#74408 - in reply to #74396)

Expert Yogi

Yea, definitely never try to become friends with them...you'll regret it. They'll lure you in, trick you and then you'll find yourself all tied up or locked in a closet for the entire hour. Then afterwards, they'll let you out with a, "What happened, we wondered what happened to you" and then a, "okay, see ya next time", as your standing there with jaw dropped to the floor,

About structure....yes, that is a good point. But, I still think that structure is too broad of a term. Specific structure and definitely keeping them busy is a must. But, if you overwhelm them with bordem, you may keep them there for 1 class, but I promise they will NOT come back and will find a way to weasel out of it with their parents. Having that said, structure could be just having a 'normal' yoga class.

When my daughter first started yoga classes with me seriously last summer. My instructor pretty much ignored her the first few times. Then she gave her simple adjustments, but pretty much left her alone. We didn't force her to stick with it, nor did we force her to do anything. I wanted it to be something that she wanted to do and had an interest in - for herself and well being. In fact, there were a couple of times when she was on her monthly cycle and/or just didn't feel like going that day, and stayed home. I honored her feelings about that, afterall, I have my moments too, What I did require of her was this. To do her very best that she was capable of and try 100% to do the postures - even if it seemed impossible, to just try and follow the teacher's instructions. I did require a certain level of attendance so that every week in the beginning she couldn't tell me, "I don't want to go". In class, If she got tired or needed to sit out, it was a simple, I told her to go into child's pose or Savasana, instructor gave that out too. She never complains about attending classes, she is really excited that the new semester is getting ready to start again, and feels great. If there were too many rules and regulations, I'm afraid she would of lost interest. She is no different from you or I. She just needed the space to discover her own way. The class is not structured any different than a typical yoga class. Although, my instructor is geared and used to teaching college students, since we are at a college. She talks through each posture alot, which that in itself is enough to keep it interesting and the flow moving, where there is no time for anything else. However, my daughter has attended adult classes and some where the college students attend too. Both seem to be exactly the same.

The only problem I can see with a group of teens is their need for socialization and over-talking. Although, not last Christmas, but the one before, I was at my kid's Camp Christmas party. I was amazed at how one counselor asked me about yoga and wanted to do some postures. Then, all these teenage girls chimed in and we all started doing yoga at the party. I would do one asana, then they would want to try it. We did several postures that day and OMG, it was very casual and they were so happy. That next summer the owner hired a lady to teach yoga to the camp. So, there you go. The interest has to be there or otherwise, forget it.
yogaspy
Posted 2007-01-18 9:49 PM (#74582 - in reply to #74332)

Wow! Thanks for all your advice... Any ideas about sequencing? I'm thinking teens probably need to have some energizing poses followed by a few restful, introspective poses..
So maybe a few Sun Salutations... work up to Urdva Dhanurasana... a couple of twists... and corework as a "warm down".. before a forward bend or two, then Viparita Karani and Savasana?
What do you think?
tourist
Posted 2007-01-19 10:16 AM (#74620 - in reply to #74582)

Expert Yogi

ys - plan at least twice as many poses as you would for adults. The one group of 12 yr olds I taught did 45 poses in an hour. Challenge them - hand stands!
yogabrian
Posted 2007-01-19 11:10 AM (#74628 - in reply to #74332)

I agree with tourist. Don't give them time to gab. I have found that most teens can do everything adults can. Often times better. Teach your sequence like well paced adult class. They will have fun and get moving.

Remember many children don't get P.E. anymore. You may find the kids really out of shape and maybe overwieght. All the more reason to work them till they sweat!!! They will whine and moan, but will run to the next class!!

Could you explain a little more about the group?
yogaspy
Posted 2007-01-19 8:54 PM (#74719 - in reply to #74628)

I'd love to tell you more about the group, but I haven't met them yet... I start teaching the weekly class in February. It's at a privately-owned studio in Oakland, California, and the person who taught the class before me got 5-10 students every week. I hope to pick up where he left off, but wnat to bring my own style and flavor to it.

I'll definitely incorporate a handstand or two.

I'm also going to be doing a workshop for emancipated foster kids soon... I'm sure that will be a totally different atmosphere.
swestendorf
Posted 2007-02-02 1:10 AM (#76077 - in reply to #74332)

Hey there. I commend you...teaching teens is tough, but really rewarding. I taught a teen yoga group at a behavioral school, and I've worked with teens for the past 3 years. They weren't all thrilled to be doing yoga, but it seemed like when I kept a positive attitude (authoritative and yet calm), they respected that. Really try to make them feel like they have choices. Choices are everything to teens. So let them dictate which parts of the routine they want to focus on. They will definitely have opinions. My students liked balance poses. It's also good, if you have this option, to allow them to choose whether they participate or not. I started out requiring them all to attend until they had experienced yoga several times. Then I asked for feedback and made some changes. Next I asked for more feedback and offered those who were still uninterested an opportunity to choose a different activity. Those who chose to stay really got into it. Just be ready to accept that they aren't going to take it seriously all the time. Be willing to laugh with them. Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)