YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

feeling uninspired
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

marzee
Posted 2007-01-20 5:18 PM (#74802)
Subject: feeling uninspired

Hi I am new to the forum. I practice ashtanga 6 six days a week; most days all of primary and the first half of second series. This week, for the first time Ive felt unmotivated and uninspired. I would love some advice on how to deal...I have only practiced 4 days this week. What to do...practice through these feelings, or give into resting?
Thank you! namaste!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Posted 2007-01-20 7:10 PM (#74816 - in reply to #74802)
Subject: RE: feeling uninspired

Just give in Marron--take a rest--change styles, studios, teachers--it's as simple as that.
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-01-21 7:54 AM (#74829 - in reply to #74802)

I agree with bruce. Take a break, shorten your practice time, even only do sun salutations once in a while if you want. Don't regiment yourself and make yourself do anything. This happens sometimes, it's also part of the practice

jonnie
Posted 2007-01-21 2:34 PM (#74857 - in reply to #74802)

Hi Marron,

Firstly, I think you need to question the reasons for feeling unmotivated and uninspired. Are they physical or mental?

If they are physical, then maybe rest, change the focus of your practise (i.e practise more pranayama or meditation) or practise another less strenuous style such as Iyengar or Viniyoga until you feel recovered.

If the reason is mental, then I suggest continuing with your Ashtanga practise and working through this block.

Posted 2007-01-21 2:52 PM (#74860 - in reply to #74857)

Jonnie is an experienced practitioner. As a beginner, I recall trying to work through the mental block--just pi$$ed me off more and I wanted nothing to do with yoga.
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-01-21 3:17 PM (#74864 - in reply to #74802)

Sometimes you have to be kind to yourself. Once in a while all it takes is a couple of days off to sort it out. Only you know if you can work through this whilst still practising ahimsa, or if you need to back off a bit.

jonnie
Posted 2007-01-22 9:55 AM (#74909 - in reply to #74802)

Hi Bruce and DD,

Yes I agree. If Marron is a beginner then it's probally wise to lay off the practise for a while until the natural urge to practise returns.

Because she said she practised all of the primary and half the second series six times a week(thats a pretty intense practise ) I assumed she was pretty advanced.

Sometimes if I feel i'm getting a little bored with my Ashtanga practise, I may change my approach to it. For example, I might focus on only the standing series and hold each asana for 30 breaths so that I can really work on my alignment or practise 108 Sun Saluations in a row.

Jonathon
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)