YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

lower hamstring
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Fitness -> Injuries and rehabMessage format

ollie
Posted 2007-01-22 5:22 PM (#74956)
Subject: lower hamstring

I hurt my lower hamstring (near its insertion point on the top of the calf behind the knee, on the outside of the leg).

It had been sore for a few weeks (couldn't put my butt to my feet in "child" nor could I go into malasana with my heels together; when I am not hurt those movements were easy for me).

I layed off running and fast walking; the injury passed from "sore" to "hurt" when I was swimming and did a bad flip turn.

So, has anyone had a successful recovery from this?

Yes, I have an appointment with a medical doctor in a couple of weeks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-01-22 10:05 PM (#74982 - in reply to #74956)
Subject: RE: lower hamstring

Expert Yogi

A bad flip turn is a nasty thing. Hope you get some answers!
Nick
Posted 2007-01-23 3:21 AM (#74994 - in reply to #74956)

Hi Ollie,
It depends on a whole host of stuff, the level of rehabilitation that you get. I mean, if it's a really bad injury, I have seen these last for years-I have also noticed that it is often the hyper-flexible who take ages to recover-either they were doing something more advanced to get the injury, or, more likely, they aggravate the injury as they can only do yoga by stretching hard.
You perhaps want to design your self a practice without a vast amount of hamstring stretches-lots of standing poses, and work on co-contracting the leg muscles so that the strain of doing yoga is shared between the muscles.

Nick
ollie
Posted 2007-01-23 8:58 AM (#75026 - in reply to #74956)

Thanks for the feedback, tourist and nick.

Here is what happened yesterday: when I did a bad flip turn (ego thing; I was trying to catch a swimmer who
was next to me ) I came off at a bad angle. I felt a fairly loud POP in the lower hamstring and then
quite a bit of pain; it was too painful for me to continue swimming (and I was having a good swim too!)

I spent most of yesterday hobbiling on a cane, feeling like an old curmudgeon.

It felt better last night and today I could walk "almost" normally. I swam, but did no flip turns; I got to the wall
stopped, turned around and swam back; I got 2000 meters.

I then took my normal yoga classes; I did "down dog" instead of child and "tree" instead of one legged
chair, and I had trouble with warrior II when my "bad" leg was bent.

Other than that, I was able to finish the class with no other difficulties; you can bet that I really
focused on my alignment!

Funny the difference a single day can make.
I am nowhere near 100%, but I am vastly improved from yesterday.

ollie
SCThornley
Posted 2007-01-23 10:54 AM (#75044 - in reply to #74956)

This kind of injury will most likely leave some sort of 'MEMORY' in the muscle and tendons and all that sort of fleshy stuff.

I had a tear many years back in my earliest years of 'MANLY' competitive behavior. I can still feel it, today.

The best thing to do, is, once the pain subsides, to sustain range of motion and keep 'going through the motions' as best you can without reinjuring the affected site.

I mention this, because it is a shift in physcical activity philosophy.

Once you feel 'healed' you most likely will want to 'test' your strength to see if you're back to where you were before. It is at this juction where reinjury most often occurs. If this occurs you'll know what to do, of course this time you'll be wiser still.

I've injured my left groin/hamstring area three times over the past 23 years. The first was because of youthful stupidity, the second was because of competitive blindness, the last was because of the 'TEST'. I'm over it now. However there certainly is 'memory' or scar tissue that exists to remind me of my past mistakes.

Good luck and speedy healing to you, sir.

ollie
Posted 2007-01-23 11:06 AM (#75048 - in reply to #75044)

SCThornley - 2007-01-23 9:54 AM

This kind of injury will most likely leave some sort of 'MEMORY' in the muscle and tendons and all that sort of fleshy stuff.

I had a tear many years back in my earliest years of 'MANLY' competitive behavior. I can still feel it, today.

The best thing to do, is, once the pain subsides, to sustain range of motion and keep 'going through the motions' as best you can without reinjuring the affected site.

I mention this, because it is a shift in physcical activity philosophy.

Once you feel 'healed' you most likely will want to 'test' your strength to see if you're back to where you were before. It is at this juction where reinjury most often occurs. If this occurs you'll know what to do, of course this time you'll be wiser still.

I've injured my left groin/hamstring area three times over the past 23 years. The first was because of youthful stupidity, the second was because of competitive blindness, the last was because of the 'TEST'. I'm over it now. However there certainly is 'memory' or scar tissue that exists to remind me of my past mistakes.

Good luck and speedy healing to you, sir.

Thank you!

And yes, I have such "memories" in my right shoulder (rotator cuff injury in 2002; I still have trouble with the arm part of "eagle pose" when the right arm is the upper one, achilles tendons (1997, 1999, 2002), upper hamstrings (in 2003, which is what brought me to yoga), lower back (weights and football, 1973, 1975, 197, knees (4 operations, 1978, 1979, 1984 (twice)).

And I STILL do idiotic stuff from time to time!

SCThornley
Posted 2007-01-23 11:32 AM (#75051 - in reply to #75048)

ollie - 2007-01-23 11:06 AM

And I STILL do idiotic stuff from time to time!

Me, too. but at least we are still alive to learn from these 'errors' in judgements and one day we may live the life of the truly enlightened, maybe?
Hopefully!
ollie
Posted 2007-01-25 9:20 PM (#75298 - in reply to #74956)

Update: I had the "great blow out" on Monday and it is now Thursday evening. I can now do the warrior
series on either leg and I can now do Malasana with very little pain; and I can do "child" again.

Over the past month, I *couldn't* bend my right knee fully without a great deal of pain; now I can!

My guess is that the "pop" (which was both loud and painful) must have been adhesions breaking; my
massage person said something similar.

Still, what I did is not a recommended proceedure.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)