YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My new book!
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-24 11:41 AM (#75120)
Subject: My new book!

Hiya, I just received a book I had ordered called "Anatomy of Hatha Yoga" by H. David Coulter... After a quick browse, I think this was a very good purchase to get a better understanding of what is happening in my body during poses. I personally practice ashtanga mostly, although I do attend one class a week of hatha yoga and my home practice is a bit looser than the specific sequence of ashtanga. I am the type of person who likes to understand the science and mechanics behind things, so that's why I was seeking a reference manual that offered indepth information about asanas. This particular book appears to be a bit challenging as it does use very specific terminology, but I'm sure that with a little effort it should be within the grasp of the majority. Anyways, I'm very excited and thought I'd mention it to you. Although I cannot give it a true recommendation as I've only skimmed thru it, it looks very promising. Anyone else have this book or has consulted it that would like to comment on it?

sp
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-01-24 11:56 AM (#75121 - in reply to #75120)
Subject: RE: My new book!

It was required reading on my teachers training.

It is a very good book.

Jonathon
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-24 12:15 PM (#75125 - in reply to #75120)

Expert Yogi

I too like this book. I have to read certain sections over and over again because I have trouble with retention and recall, but the review and reread works for me.
I think this should be a mandatory read for all potential yoga teachers.

Hey, I hit 1000 and only one red star
Ok, gotta start building those starts up!

Edited by mishoga 2007-01-24 12:43 PM

Posted 2007-01-24 12:17 PM (#75126 - in reply to #75120)

Did you get the Anatomy Coloring book too? That was TOUGH!
jonnie
Posted 2007-01-24 12:23 PM (#75127 - in reply to #75120)

Yes, I was VERY happy when I finally finished that one!

Jonathon
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-01-24 4:37 PM (#75146 - in reply to #75120)

That book has to be my favorite textbook of all time -- OK, so it's in a category of one, but still, I really do like it. It was required for both the YogaFit and my current teacher training, so I was glad when I had to read the chapter on breathing a third time through, because I think that is one of the most complex topics. Did you get the book for a training you're doing or purely out of interest? Either way, enjoy!

OM

slowpie6
Posted 2007-01-25 3:28 AM (#75179 - in reply to #75120)

I just got the book out of interest since it seemed to have some very good reviews. And I wanted to get free shipping for my purchase of Light on Yoga (I'm not going to receive that for a while still, it said it takes 3-5 weeks to even ship out )... I didn't know what to expect but I would have to say it exceeded my expectations so far. I'm no where near being able to take teacher training, I'm still barely a beginner at yoga, but I'm quite dedicated to my practice so I wanted a deeper understanding. And I'm thinking maybe one day I will do my teacher training, but I assume that it takes a few years of serious practice before one can even consider that seriously, no? Hey, at the very least it might help me understand the stuff Nick talks about a bit better!! I hope that my former scientific studies (in neuropsychology, mind you) will give me a bit of a foundation from which to understand the language a bit better, but I never did take any anatomy stuff unless it was brain-related.

So far I've read sections on the bandhas (a concept I'm having trouble applying in my practice as of yet) and like that the book offers various exercises to try to locate these bandhas outside of practice (like just sitting on a chair), so that I can learn some techniques independantly and then afterwards try to incorporate it in my practice. I also looked up some of the poses I am having more trouble with like downdog and salabhasana, and the info seemed helpful, even with a very quick read. And I poked around the chapter on headstand. I'll read it A-Z, of course, but I like that it can also be referenced for a specific aspect of yoga and still be useful.

One thing that disappointed me a little is that the author does not use the sanskrit names for the poses, which I've been working hard on learning and remembering, and which make looking up a pose a bit more laborious since all the instruction in my classes use the sanskrit names. Seems to me it wouldn't have been so hard to maybe use the English names in text while also giving the sanskrit name for the asana in passing. Other sanskrit terms do come up, but not with regards to asanas per se. Oh well, minor concern, I guess.

sp
Nick
Posted 2007-01-25 4:37 AM (#75182 - in reply to #75179)

Hi SP,
Try writing the sanskrit names in pencil next to the postures-really helps me remember to write the names down. Also really helps if you know the components-pada means foot, eka is one, raja is royal, kapota is pigeon, and you have eka pada rajakapotasana. Otherwise it all starts to get a bit much

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-01-25 4:39 AM (#75183 - in reply to #75125)

Hi Mish,
What do we get stars for? If I knew, I might be impressed with myself, which is usually a good thing

Nick
joscmt
Posted 2007-01-25 10:00 AM (#75205 - in reply to #75120)

Nick- go into the control panel area- the stars work a bit like roman numerals. I guess one red star=1000 posts...
joscmt
Posted 2007-01-25 10:10 AM (#75209 - in reply to #75120)

Ok... how funny.. I just signed into my amazon account to check out this book. And amazon has it picked out as a recommendation for me! Haahahaa... is that a sign???
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-25 3:38 PM (#75272 - in reply to #75120)

Expert Yogi

OK, you could look at that two ways:
BUY IT!

or

Do ya really need it right now? Practice Aparigraha

I would buy it but I really need to practice restraint in the purchasing anything area

Nick, I can't believe I made 1000 before my B'day
Maybe that jump in numbers and the red star mean I need to practice shutting the mouthasana
(I can't spell or type )

Edited by mishoga 2007-01-25 3:41 PM
MrD
Posted 2007-01-25 5:40 PM (#75284 - in reply to #75120)

This is a book that I've been debating about for a while. Since the comments were so favorable, I ordered it yesterday.

I found that overstock.com carried new books for the same price as used on ebay and amazon. Shipping is also cheap and they shipped it out today. It should go by book rate since I paid less than 2.00 for shipping.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-01-28 9:33 PM (#75565 - in reply to #75284)

Expert Yogi

I've read most of this book.  It's quite detailed, with lots of nice drawings and photos.  It is a taxing read, however, mainly because of soooo many words and b/c there are many points where you need to get up and do whatever he's talking about in order to follow it.

I still recommend the book, but don't try reading it when you are sleepy.

... bg

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)