YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much to pay instructors?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

indigojill
Posted 2007-01-27 3:04 PM (#75442)
Subject: How much to pay instructors?

I recently opened a yoga studio and am still trying to figure out the best way to pay instructors. For those of you that don't mind sharing, how do you get paid? Do you have a minimum plus per student fee on top of that OR just a per student amount? A split of gross class sales?

Thanks!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
tourist
Posted 2007-01-27 7:34 PM (#75458 - in reply to #75442)
Subject: RE: How much to pay instructors?

Expert Yogi

Hi jill - my studios are a bit different in that we pay by the hour according to certification - period. This prevents competition for time slots that typically fill quickly regardless of teacher and allows smaller classes that require senior teachers (prenatal and special needs) to get good instructors in spite of lower numbers. Right now, for Iyengar Level I/II certification we pay $36 per hour (Canadian).

Posted 2007-01-28 2:17 AM (#75465 - in reply to #75442)
Subject: RE: How much to pay instructor

Hi Jill,

Did you not work up these numbers in a business plan before opening? Perhaps not.

There are two elements (IMHO) to consider in compensating yoga teachers. The first is what the market is currently bearing, relative of course to training or whatever element of experience one uses to measure efficacy. And this may be the only thing you are asking.

The second is what your business can afford to pay and still be solvent. This is determined by taking projected revenues and subtracting expenses other than labor and seeing what's left. I'm oversimplifying of course. This kind of thing gave me a headache in my own BP so I can't really eleborate without having to do restoratives after:-)

Here in Seattle, gyms typically pay between $26-$40 per class with most classes running one hour. Studios have variable pay scales and some experienced teachers who fill classes can negotiate a bit. Studios pay a base of $20 or $25 with a head count rate of $2 per head for every head over 5 (as an example). A teacher that shows up when students do not, typically gets $10-$15 dollars. No studio would run with a teacher or class offering that did not draw for very long.

Another studio here pays strictly head count. I think new teachers start at $4-$5 dollars per head. So obviously for a class of ten they are being paid $40-$50.

Hope this helps you .

Edited by purnayoga 2007-01-28 2:18 AM
indigojill
Posted 2007-01-28 4:14 PM (#75522 - in reply to #75442)

Thank you for the feedback tourist and purnayoga!

I did plug these numbers into my original business plan but, almost upon opening, the business plan had to be altered due to a few factors and I've had to rework a bunch of numbers.

When I first opened, I was paying a flat fee plus $amount per student above 3 students but I quickly realized this was not the best structure for the area I am in (somewhat rural Florida - vacation destination and very seasonal market). Additionally, there are no local standards as I was, and still am, the only authentic yoga studio within 40 miles so I was dealing in unchartered territory. On top of this, there are only a handful of certified instructors within 25 miles of the studio so I am recruiting from a narrow group and it's been a challenge.

Anyhow, since my original structure was not a match for my studio, I was/am interested in seeing what others do and how it works for them.

Thanks again! More feedback would be great!

indigojill
Posted 2007-01-28 4:30 PM (#75527 - in reply to #75465)

purnayoga - 2007-01-28 1:17 AM

Hi Jill,

Did you not work up these numbers in a business plan before opening? Perhaps not.

There are two elements (IMHO) to consider in compensating yoga teachers. The first is what the market is currently bearing, relative of course to training or whatever element of experience one uses to measure efficacy. And this may be the only thing you are asking.

The second is what your business can afford to pay and still be solvent. This is determined by taking projected revenues and subtracting expenses other than labor and seeing what's left. I'm oversimplifying of course. This kind of thing gave me a headache in my own BP so I can't really eleborate without having to do restoratives after:-)

Here in Seattle, gyms typically pay between $26-$40 per class with most classes running one hour. Studios have variable pay scales and some experienced teachers who fill classes can negotiate a bit. Studios pay a base of $20 or $25 with a head count rate of $2 per head for every head over 5 (as an example). A teacher that shows up when students do not, typically gets $10-$15 dollars. No studio would run with a teacher or class offering that did not draw for very long.

Another studio here pays strictly head count. I think new teachers start at $4-$5 dollars per head. So obviously for a class of ten they are being paid $40-$50.

Hope this helps you .

I just re-read your post and I really appreciate all the info here!

My situation is unique in so many ways - 1) I am in a semi-rural area in the Florida panhandle that has a year round popluation of only around 7800 but that draws a few million during the on-season 2)there are only about 5 certified instructors within 25 miles 3)commerical rents in the area are at around $25-$26/sq.ft. MINIMUM (I'm in Coastal Florida where the real estate prices are insane!) which obviously I wasn't able to afford so I negotiated something with a family member who owns a commercial building in a PRIME location but the first space is tiny (I market it as a "boutique" studio and will expand as demand grows) so I'm limited in class sizes at the moment to only 10 students.

The good news is that we have a loyal following already after only being open 2 months and the 5 classes we have all pull in around an average of 5 or so students. The bad news is that there are so many variables against me right now that I'm struggling to find a way to keep the bills paid, door open and still have enough at some point to convert another space in this building to an additional 800 sq.ft. studio

Purnayoga, do you know of any groups out there of yoga business owners where people share info between one another? I would be willing to start one if not!

Any info on what works for you or anyone else reading this would be GREAT!

Light and Peace.
yogabrian
Posted 2007-01-28 6:52 PM (#75537 - in reply to #75442)

I would not pay a base. Not unless the teacher had a REAL BIG following. I as a business owner like splits of what the class brings in revenue. Might be hard to find anyone to come to your place for room whose max is 10 people.

Your best solution may be to teach all the classes until you have a base of membership established. Not fun, it is the best way to save money in the beginning.

Took a look at your website. Nicely done. Did you just open? Are you going to be adding more classes?

Posted 2007-01-29 7:40 AM (#75593 - in reply to #75442)

like brian said, if you know how to teach, teach all five classes yourself. then, you don't have to worry about pay scales and whatever else, and you can pay yourself whatever you can.

otherwise, a flat rate is a good place to start. new studios around here (philadelphia environs) tend to pay $35-45 per class (1.5 hours) until they're established (about two years), and then pay between $50 and $75 per class regardless of size or $45 plus $2/per student over 10 (for larger studios).

since class sizes are limited to ten in your case, i would definately do a flat rate.
indigojill
Posted 2007-01-29 9:13 AM (#75625 - in reply to #75537)

yogabrian - 2007-01-28 5:52 PM

Your best solution may be to teach all the classes until you have a base of membership established. Not fun, it is the best way to save money in the beginning.

Took a look at your website. Nicely done. Did you just open? Are you going to be adding more classes?

Thank you for the feedback, yogabrian!

I am about ready to enter a 500-hour (RYT 200) year long Teacher Training program and hope to be teaching one or two classes by the fall. I don't see myself ever teaching more than a class here or there as my strength is in operating a business and growing a business - but by having the certification/training, the option will be open to me and I am open to whatever path this all takes me on. I know I"m not a typical yoga studio owner - I'm a business person first - but it works for me.

That said, I am on a learning curve and am still in the opening stages as I officially opened last November. Paying instructors is one of the things I'm still trying to figure out as the yoga community in the area in which I live is very immature still - students are few and far between (believe it or not!) Paying my instructors a flat rate wasn't working as in Nov. and Dec, we were only averaging 2 students a class! I'm now only averaging 4-5! In Nov/Dec, I lost money on almost every class we had. It's the catch 22 - until I grow, I won't make any money but there aren't enough students to get into classes (YET!) to make expansion an option yet! I have this unique opportunity to be the first to open a studio where I'm at but it's a real challenge BECAUSE there are no other studios if that makes sense.

I know I'm limited by my space size but classes, as I said, have only drawn, on average, 4-5 students (the most I've had in one class to date is 7) so having a bigger space would serve no purpose other than increasing my overhead at this point. I hope to add more classes as I find more instructors but again, as I said, that is a challenge in and of itself. The instructors here have their own thing going on - teaching friends or small groups of acquaintances in a home setting. Once we start filling every class offered with 8-10, I will implement Phase II in which I convert the entire second story of the building I'm in into another studio.

And thanks for the feedback on my website! It's still be constructed but is now finally almost functional.

Edited by indigojill 2007-01-29 9:17 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-01-29 10:11 AM (#75636 - in reply to #75625)

Expert Yogi

jill - why not get together with your instructors and ask them how they think you can work it best so they get paid and you get to keep your studio open? They may have some creative ideas that will help you. It is to their benefit to keep the space open since they probably don't have teaching space elsewhere, so solicit their help! Good luck. Sounds like the area really needs your studio
joscmt
Posted 2007-01-29 10:45 AM (#75644 - in reply to #75442)

Maybe I'm being a little blunt by saying this.. but my intent is not to be rude..
But if you say you are a business person first, then I'm a little confused- you opened a business in a rural area that is seasonally driven, but with not much traffic or hopes for business during the off-season.. oh yeah, that also happens to be in a very expensive area- what price did you negotiate for your sq. footage. Because those are about the same prices as where I am, and we're in an affluent, urban area.. in the DC metro area.
Now, I don't own a studio, nor do I teach yoga.. but I am a restaurant owner.. so I know a little bit of running a business- from a business standpoint. I was a chef before an owner, so there is some difference there. My husband and I had to put in about 100 hrs/week in the first year we were open to keep costs down... then 80hrs/week second year.. eventually down to about 35-40/week this year..
When is your "busy" season down there? When do the tourists come? How are you going to market a yoga class to such a transient crowd? They aren't going to come into a studio, on vacation, unless there is a cool draw..
I'm just wondering if you made the best decision for the area you are in... why choose a yoga studio to open? It may ultimately hurt you that you can't teach all of your classes right now. Could you back down into a 200 hr certification... and then do the 500hr another time? That way it'd be less $$$ for you now and you could teach sooner...
Here's a link to a studio that is in a rural part of VA.. maybe if you contact other owners with similar businesses and ask them for advice/help, you'll find some valued answers. What you are doing is obviously possible....
Just remember that the first year of business is a nightmare- I don't care what anyone says. You have no history, no systems, no anything... no matter how much you plan or how detailed your business plan... and know that there will be times when your credit card is your best friend- you may have to not pay yourself for awhile in order to get the business off the ground- or not pay yourself your full salary. Things were slow for us this fall/winter- I've had only 2 paychecks since Nov. Things have been tight- but we needed to make payroll.. The restaurant is on the upswing now, so things will get better.. as they always do this time of year..
But, hang in there! And good luck!

Here's that link.. maybe talking to these people would help.
www.wyrdyoga.com
indigojill
Posted 2007-01-29 11:38 AM (#75655 - in reply to #75644)

joscmt - 2007-01-29 9:45 AM

Maybe I'm being a little blunt by saying this.. but my intent is not to be rude..
But if you say you are a business person first, then I'm a little confused- you opened a business in a rural area that is seasonally driven, but with not much traffic or hopes for business during the off-season.. oh yeah, that also happens to be in a very expensive area- what price did you negotiate for your sq. footage. Because those are about the same prices as where I am, and we're in an affluent, urban area.. in the DC metro area.

I appreciate bluntness! It's good in the business realm. Being a business owner, you should appreciate the fact that there is always risk involved when opening a business - what I am doing is definitely risky but this is my 3rd business venture so I was, and am, well aware of all the risks involved as I've "been there, done that" so-to-speak. But it is a rare opportunity to offer something to an area that is growing fast that currently isn't offered. Someone had to do it! I know, the real estate prices here are outrageous - the real estate market here exploded over the last few years (as many coastal areas did and states like CA, etc) - which has been detrimental to the integrity of small business ownership in the area. It will correct like it always does I'm sure. Even though we have only around 7800 year round residents, you can imagine with an entry level home starting in the mid to upper 300Ks home what the demographic is. People have discretionary income here to spend on things like yoga.

Now, I don't own a studio, nor do I teach yoga.. but I am a restaurant owner.. so I know a little bit of running a business- from a business standpoint. I was a chef before an owner, so there is some difference there. My husband and I had to put in about 100 hrs/week in the first year we were open to keep costs down... then 80hrs/week second year.. eventually down to about 35-40/week this year..

Running a restuarant and running a yoga studio are two TOTALLY separate experiences. The risk involved in opening a restaurant eclipses that of opening a studio 100 fold. I know this, not from actually having owned my own restuarant, but because my husband is "in the biz" (Executive Chef and recently promoted to F&B Director at a large resort here) and I am a graduate of L'Academie de Cuisine in Bethesda MD (worked in D.C. for about a year in a restaurant on Pennsylvania Ave.) so we are aware of the risks. Funny how we share this background!

When is your "busy" season down there? When do the tourists come? How are you going to market a yoga class to such a transient crowd? They aren't going to come into a studio, on vacation, unless there is a cool draw..

Our busy season is March-October. My target demographic is NOT tourists, though, although I do have a few "snowbirds" who are regular students right now ("snowbirds" are the retiree crowd from up north that winter down here), have had 2 "drop ins" that were on a weeklong vacation and one student who is here for the month that bought 8 classes. My target demographic is the local popluation that live within a 5 mile radius. These are who I market/advertise to. Why do you say people on vacation aren't going to come into the studio? When I vacation, one of the first things I do is see where I can take a yoga class!

I'm just wondering if you made the best decision for the area you are in... why choose a yoga studio to open? It may ultimately hurt you that you can't teach all of your classes right now. Could you back down into a 200 hr certification... and then do the 500hr another time? That way it'd be less $$$ for you now and you could teach sooner...

How many people get an opportunity to open a business in an area with NO built in competition? It is an entreprener's dream! Especially in an affluent area that is growing very fast!

Here's a link to a studio that is in a rural part of VA.. maybe if you contact other owners with similar businesses and ask them for advice/help, you'll find some valued answers. What you are doing is obviously possible....
Just remember that the first year of business is a nightmare- I don't care what anyone says. You have no history, no systems, no anything... no matter how much you plan or how detailed your business plan... and know that there will be times when your credit card is your best friend- you may have to not pay yourself for awhile in order to get the business off the ground- or not pay yourself your full salary. Things were slow for us this fall/winter- I've had only 2 paychecks since Nov. Things have been tight- but we needed to make payroll.. The restaurant is on the upswing now, so things will get better.. as they always do this time of year..
But, hang in there! And good luck!

Like I said, I've been here 2 times before so I KNOW what you are saying about the first year. Because I've done this before, this experience so far has been almost effortless compared to my other two business ventures and amazing for me. Yes, there is stressful moments, but I am running a yoga studio which has built in perks to handle the stress Thank you for the link and the feedback!
yogabrian
Posted 2007-01-29 1:39 PM (#75665 - in reply to #75442)

I hate to say this but I second what joscmt said. You are in a market that no one knows your product, has high rent, you have NO exerience in the yoga business and your space is small and seasonal.

You don't have an up hill battle, you have a up a mountain war. Yoga businesses make make off of either charging alot or packing the room full (or both). Sounds like you can't really do either.

Let's see if we can come up with some solutions to your challenges. Please bear with me as I may sound blunt. But I am in my third year of business and have been breakeven to profitable since I opened.

1. Teachers

Find the most popular teacher in the area and try to cut a deal with them. Take only what you need to make your bills in the first year. Let the instructor make a bulk of the money,

Take a shorter training course so you can start to teach and save money. Even if you have enough personal money to pay the teachers, you will never be profitable if you don't teach some of the classes.

2. More class times

You need a full schedule. People like consistency and lots of options. As studio, you need to have at least 2-3 different class times per day, everyday.

3. Intro offer

You need a better intro offer. Get them hooked on your services. I personal run a $20 for 30 days unlimited intro offer and it brings A LOT of new business! Imagine if you got 7500 people just once to come that paid you $20. Life changing for a business.

4. Lower your prices.

You are in a rural area. Make it cheap for you first year until you are packed.

5. Get more space.

You will not make money on a small space. Period. The overhead is worth it.

6. Renegociate your lease.

Get that rent lower or you are doomed.

7. Add pic of your place on your website.

If you are trying to get that seasonal business, I personally like to see pic online when I am traveling.

Personally this business looks like a money pit that is not going to make it. I would close, get my teaching experience, build a base and THEN open a studio.

Good luck, being a yoga studio owner is not easy.
indigojill
Posted 2007-01-29 1:51 PM (#75667 - in reply to #75442)

I love the feedback everyone! Thank you - it is all helpful!

As the Chinese proverb states - "A journey of 1000 miles begins with the first step.".

I'm up for the challenge and will post back in a few months to tell you if I'm one of those anomalies of yogapreneurs that actually makes a studio profitable while not having to teach 20+ classes a week, or, possibly having to teach at all! I have only been open 2 months - definitely not enough time to gauge how successful I will be - especially when those first two full months of business have been during the holidays and now in the dead of winter.

Thanks again!
*Fifi*
Posted 2007-01-29 2:47 PM (#75674 - in reply to #75442)

Isn't Florida pretty accessible all year 'round, save for a bad hurricane season? I would not limit yourself. The others have given you great advice.

Posted 2007-01-29 3:20 PM (#75682 - in reply to #75442)

i wouldn't worry too much. to have all of your classes half full so far is a great thing. you might want to offer 'bring a friend' specials such as "have five friends sign up for a package, get a free package of classes" or whatever.
indigojill
Posted 2007-01-29 4:26 PM (#75691 - in reply to #75682)

zoebird - 2007-01-29 2:20 PM

i wouldn't worry too much. to have all of your classes half full so far is a great thing. you might want to offer 'bring a friend' specials such as "have five friends sign up for a package, get a free package of classes" or whatever.

Thanks for the encouragement My student retention to date has been around 98% - 9 out of 10 students purchase my 8-pass - we are filling our workshops and special events - and I get an average of 5 calls and 2 emails weekly inquiring about the studio! I also rent out the space for Reiki Sessions. Granted, the number of students/participants we are talking here are small but I like what I see so far. I've learned a few things in these two past months and have had to make necessary changes and adjustments to protect the business but I'm on the right path. I'm already planning for Phase II (growith and conversion of another space) and am trying to determine the best timing for it!

I like to say I'm "growing organically" and am fortunate enough, because of my business arrangements and personal situation, to take it as fast, or slow, as needed. But even though I may be able to do it doesn't mean I should and why I'm not jumping into anything until I get a following and a good idea of the business cycles for the area. The good news is that I'm not losing money anymore since I have adjusted my independent contractor fee structure and now hope to at least break even this month which I'm on target to do.

Anyhow, I really like the "bring a friend idea", Zoebird, and have thought of doing that as my "spring special". My current special is your first class is only $12.

Have a beautiful day.
yogabrian
Posted 2007-01-29 5:21 PM (#75696 - in reply to #75442)

Reread my post. Did not mean to sound discouraging. Just realistic. I hope you make it.

Best of luck!
indigojill
Posted 2007-01-29 10:37 PM (#75717 - in reply to #75696)

yogabrian - 2007-01-29 4:21 PM

Reread my post. Did not mean to sound discouraging. Just realistic. I hope you make it.

Best of luck!

I appreciate your honest feedback, yogabrian. It's just that, not knowing all the details and circumstances outside of one's own experience and reality (and especially when you factor in the variables between trying to run a business in different areas such as a city and resort area), IMO feedback needs to be more generalized maybe as opposed to one sided if that makes sense and countered.

Again, I appreciate the feedback!
yogabrian
Posted 2007-01-29 11:58 PM (#75721 - in reply to #75442)

I did give you generalized advice. Your details may vary but good business sense is good business sense. Rural or urban, there are some realities that hold true across the board.

Yoga businesses in urban area struggle because this is a hard business to be in. I can just imagine what it is like in your area, tougher even still. As a note, I have friend who is in your position right now.

She has experience both in business and yoga teaching. She is barely making it in the resort town she lives in. She teaches most the classes (teaching 20-25 a week herself) Luckily she is the only game in her area and she is a great teacher. She is thinking of shutting down and renting space at a community center because she will make more money that way.

Just out of curiosity, why did you not open another business that you know inside and out? You said you have done other business, what happened to them? Are the still around? Why not open another one?

Why did you open a yoga studio?
joscmt
Posted 2007-01-30 9:18 AM (#75744 - in reply to #75721)

yogabrian - 2007-01-29 11:58 PM

Just out of curiosity, why did you not open another business that you know inside and out? You said you have done other business, what happened to them? Are the still around? Why not open another one?

You took the questions right out of my mouth.
Here's the thing I see. You seem to be getting defensive about pointed questions. But in your second post on this thread you put info out there to be questioned- you also asked for our advice. Sometimes that doesn't mean your idea/plan are going to be reinforced.

So, you are the only studio in the area. You are in an untapped market.. when I hear comments like this from "business people".. I think dollar signs. That you think there's a money to be made and you jumped in early to tap that money.. is this right? or no? I think you maybe jumped the gun a little with not being able to teach any classes.
When a restaurant investor opens a restaurant without knowing how to cook or run the FOH, he/she has to put out the big bucks to pay for a chef and a general manager. You made a comment that you are in a position to struggle for awhile.. are you in a position to not pay yourself until you are certified and teaching at the studio? That way those fund could go towards getting one anchor teacher- I can't imagine you need several to teach only 5 classes/week. To be honest, I'd wait on expanding until you get a little bit of a following.
After opening 2 businesses, you know as well as I do that the first two months of business is NO indicator for anything.. people are always curious about a new business.. the question is will the studio endure?
Now, keep in mind, I'm not trying to be discouraging. Owning your own business can be discouraging enough. It's hard. And I've gotted plenty.. PLENTY of unsolicited advice and comments.. which is why I don't ask for it. There are only a handful of people I truly listen to.. But, if you ask for it, then be prepared for a discussion.
indigojill
Posted 2007-01-30 9:30 AM (#75745 - in reply to #75721)

yogabrian - 2007-01-29 10:58 PM

I did give you generalized advice. Your details may vary but good business sense is good business sense. Rural or urban, there are some realities that hold true across the board.

You did give me generalized advice about the original question I asked "How much to pay instructors" and I appreciated that. But than for whatever reason, you and another poster felt it necessary to comment on and give feedback on the viability of my business model/business plan and that is where it ceased to be "generalized advice" and what I was referring to in my last post to you. Honestly, I appreciate the intent ... and in the scheme of things feedback is just that. I am just trying to make the point that just because something works or doesn't work for someone doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of business.

I appreciate the fact that you have more experience in running a yoga studio than me (I believe you said you've been open 3 years?). But it appears being owners of a yoga studio is the ONLY commonality we share. As such, we can't compare really anything about how we approach our businesses or in the execution of serives at our studios. Conversely, we can share experiences of say, what you or I do in our studios that have been successes or failures for each of us in a free exchange of generalized communication, but outside of that, it's apples to oranges.

Yoga businesses in urban area struggle because this is a hard business to be in. I can just imagine what it is like in your area, tougher even still. As a note, I have friend who is in your position right now.

She has experience both in business and yoga teaching. She is barely making it in the resort town she lives in. She teaches most the classes (teaching 20-25 a week herself) Luckily she is the only game in her area and she is a great teacher. She is thinking of shutting down and renting space at a community center because she will make more money that way.

See again - just because you have a friend in a resort area means nothing in terms of her success or my success. Your friend and I share only one additional common factor than you and I - she owns a yoga studio and she lives in a resort area. But that is where the commonality between your friend and I ends. Just to scratch the surface ... for example, she is teaching 20-25 classes a week, I'm not teaching. She is thinking of shutting down. I'm thinking of growth and expansion.

Just out of curiosity, why did you not open another business that you know inside and out? You said you have done other business, what happened to them? Are the still around? Why not open another one? Why did you open a yoga studio?

Entrepreneurship is about having a diverse skill set that can be applied to an array of businesses. I feel like I know the yoga business well (but there is always learning to be done - no one knows it all) because I spent 7 solid months preparing for and studying the business before I opened. Already having 2 other businesses before, I had all the knowledge of how to open and run a business (what I call the "nuts and bolts") so I could devote that entire feasibility study period to learning about the business of yoga, networking, travel to experience different studios and different styles of yoga...

I chose yoga for a myriad of reasons - first and foremost to fill a need for myself, secondly, from entreprenuers eyes, I saw a great opportunity and thirdly because I want to do something that gives back to humanity.

Of course I don't have the other two businesses anymore - every business is a stepping stone and those other two businesses allowed me to be in the position to open this new business and approach it the way I have been able to. This is my final business venture - my long term goal is to open several studios along the coast of where I'm at and I'm in it for the long run. I can't imagine a better business to be in.

indigojill
Posted 2007-01-30 9:49 AM (#75746 - in reply to #75744)

joscmt - 2007-01-30 8:18 AM

yogabrian - 2007-01-29 11:58 PM

You took the questions right out of my mouth.
Here's the thing I see. You seem to be getting defensive about pointed questions.

Why would I get defensive? I'm responding to the post just like you are??

But in your second post on this thread you put info out there to be questioned- you also asked for our advice. Sometimes that doesn't mean your idea/plan are going to be reinforced.

I didn't "put info out there to be questioned". I was responding honestly to the posts that asked for infomation. Reread this thread and you will see the only time I have asked for feedback was is in my first post when I asked teachers (or other yoga business owners) about their experiences with getting paid or paying instructors.

So, you are the only studio in the area. You are in an untapped market.. when I hear comments like this from "business people".. I think dollar signs. That you think there's a money to be made and you jumped in early to tap that money.. is this right? or no? I think you maybe jumped the gun a little with not being able to teach any classes.

When a restaurant investor opens a restaurant without knowing how to cook or run the FOH, he/she has to put out the big bucks to pay for a chef and a general manager. You made a comment that you are in a position to struggle for awhile.. are you in a position to not pay yourself until you are certified and teaching at the studio? That way those fund could go towards getting one anchor teacher- I can't imagine you need several to teach only 5 classes/week. To be honest, I'd wait on expanding until you get a little bit of a following.

Being in the restuarant business, I think I'll ignore the advice given above on what you believe is a good strategy for me running a yoga studio....just as I hope you would ignore my advice on your strategy to run your restaurant. Not being defensive, just being "blunt".

After opening 2 businesses, you know as well as I do that the first two months of business is NO indicator for anything.. people are always curious about a new business.. the question is will the studio endure?
Now, keep in mind, I'm not trying to be discouraging. Owning your own business can be discouraging enough. It's hard. And I've gotted plenty.. PLENTY of unsolicited advice and comments.. which is why I don't ask for it. There are only a handful of people I truly listen to.. But, if you ask for it, then be prepared for a discussion.

Again, please point out in my previous posts (excpet the original post that started the thread) where I've asked for "unsoliciated" advice??
*Fifi*
Posted 2007-01-30 12:39 PM (#75766 - in reply to #75442)

I think by asking your original question, "how much to pay instuctors?" you were, indeed, soliciting advice from veteran yoga studio owners. I'd listen to the advice joscmt and yogabrian are giving you. Trust me, they are nice enough to take the time to give you bits of wisdom that could end up saving you money and/or time. It's always a shame to see a yoga studio with good instructors close down.

Hey yogabrian, you live in SF, right? Do you remember YogaShala in Noe Valley? The instructors were good, in my opinion, (especially the owner) but it closed down. Why??????
indigojill
Posted 2007-01-30 2:12 PM (#75770 - in reply to #75766)

*Fifi* - 2007-01-30 11:39 AM

I think by asking your original question, "how much to pay instuctors?" you were, indeed, soliciting advice from veteran yoga studio owners. I'd listen to the advice joscmt and yogabrian are giving you. Trust me, they are nice enough to take the time to give you bits of wisdom that could end up saving you money and/or time. It's always a shame to see a yoga studio with good instructors close down.

Hey yogabrian, you live in SF, right? Do you remember YogaShala in Noe Valley? The instructors were good, in my opinion, (especially the owner) but it closed down. Why??????

That's fair ... I have not been trying to come off as ungrateful and have tried to communicate my appreciation for the feedback. I wish everyone the best of luck in their endeavors, be it running a yoga studio or restaurant??
yogabrian
Posted 2007-01-30 2:14 PM (#75771 - in reply to #75442)

Ok,

Indigojill,

You know nothing about the yoga business. If you did, you would not be asking rookie questions. While I have been only open for 3 years, I have been a full time teacher since 2000. I spent years developing a base. I also have been managing small businesses since the age of 17, I am not 33. It made sense for me to open. I did the prep work to be successful.

I feel that I have given you good solid advise to get your business rocking. Please feel free to ignore it.

Fifi,

YOGASHALA!! That's old school! Job Robb actually closed his studio in 99 or 2000 I can't remember which. He shut down cause I heard he got tired of the grind of running a yoga studio!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)