YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help needed becoming a teacher
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga TeachersMessage format

OMGoddess13
Posted 2007-01-27 4:02 PM (#75445)
Subject: Help needed becoming a teacher

I'm new here so Hello to you all. I have a couple of questions but first let me give you a tiny bit of background.
I've been practicing Yoga, mainly Hatha and Ashtanga for 10 years. I practice everyday without fail. The only downtime I ever took was when I gave birth 2 and half years ago. I have wanted to become an instructor for about 5 years but I simply can't afford the teacher trainings. I live in Portland, OR and even the 2 schools that I did find are over 5,000 for the 200 hour course. I feel that I'm very qualified to become a teacher. I teach my friends and family.
I've been doing some searching and I've found a few correspondence and "quick certification" courses (ie, yogafit, etc) that will allow you to get a certificate. Then you can start teaching and work toward your 200 & 500 hour RYT goal. What I'd like to know is what advice you have for me. I'm not crazy about doing the whole correspondence course thing but as I said I'm not a newcomer by any standards and I feel as long as I can get my certificate so that I can teach and start to make some money. Then I can take the workshops that i really want to take and also become Yoga Alliance Certified.

Wow, that's lengthy. I'd appreciate any help and feedback you can offer.
Namaste and Brightest Blessings to you all.
Bethany
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Kym
Posted 2007-01-27 5:43 PM (#75448 - in reply to #75445)
Subject: RE: Help needed becoming a teacher

I'm doing YogaFit toward my RYT and I've got about 140 hrs under my belt. I had about 6 yrs of practice before starting with YF. I didn't personally feel ready to teach after Level 1, so I waited until I finished Level 2. The nice thing about YF for you is, if you feel very experienced and want to, you can start teaching after level 1. You can then take as long as you want to keep taking trainings. I waited almost a year before taking Level 2. I started out in a small women's gym, and now work in a very large nice gym. It's a perfect fit for me now and I really have enjoyed my trainings.

Take a look at their website and see if it feels like a good fit for you.

Posted 2007-01-28 3:28 AM (#75467 - in reply to #75445)
Subject: RE: Help needed becoming a tea

Just as there are five koshas or sheaths so too are there sheaths in this post.

Your thought process is that you can't afford a training. And this may be pragmatic. But we manifest money all the time when we're harmonious with our surroundings, self, Universe. The genesis of this comes from a place very deep within. When your perception of yoga encompasses it's vast nature AND you have a passion to share this vastness with others in alignment with your dharma (reason for being here) then the obstacles melt. But not as long as you are holding "I can't afford it" in your forebrain.

You would be welcome to study up here in Seattle. The College is certified with the State of Washington, one of the only programs of it's kind. When fully complete it is 2,000 hours. That is NOT a typo. You can take the program over several years and thus pay by the credit. Pick and choose you can, within the framework of the requirements and curriculum.

If I could, I would advise those wishing to teach to seek out a program of study that is as comprehensive as possible, certified, and within a quality lineage. I would advise teachers to do teacher trainings to fullfill their passion, their heart, their dharma rather than their paystubs or a RYT stamp. I would advise that their priorites be re-examined thoroughly and that they move forward from a place of clarity. I would advise they not waste time taking something that doesn't speak to them very deeply but rather pour themselves into something that they connect with.

Having a thriving practice is very important. But the skills of the student are not the skills of the teacher. The teacher must know the practice and in order to do that must own a practice. But the skill set to instruct and impart to others is not the same. You may have that skill set, you may not. I do not believe that a person who does not have said skill set can even come close to acquiring it in 18 hours of training.

I'm sure once you process the replies in this thread you may have some additional comments.
I hope the murky waters clear for you so you may find "right action" for you.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-01-28 3:28 AM
tourist
Posted 2007-01-28 9:57 AM (#75479 - in reply to #75467)

Expert Yogi

I wonder how the various studios handle payment for these expensive trainings? Is it possible to pay monthly or in small chunks? I am guessing my training cost at least that much, though it was done over a 4 year or so period. The actual "training fee" was quite low, with a great deal of the expense was books (many of which I probably could have borrowed), required classes and workshops and eventually travel for big events and certification. So the costs were mostly spread out over time, and many were incurred after I was beginning teaching, so I had income to offset them.
mishoga
Posted 2007-01-28 10:34 AM (#75482 - in reply to #75445)

Expert Yogi

My training was spread out too but it can become costly.
I just signed up for my 500 RYT and the cost is $2700.00 ++++ (books, classes, etc...) but it's spread over two years so it's not so bad.
Talk to the program director of the local school and see if you can work out payments.
I personally agree (with Gordon/Purna) that training shouldn't be viewed as a "get it quick and cheap" deal. You'll ultimately cheat yourself and your students.
Just the fact that you feel all you need is a certificate/paper is enough to self reflect on why are teacher trainings long and involved.
There are teachers and their are knowledgeable teachers. What do you want to be?
When there is the will, the path will unfold almost naturally.
Kym
Posted 2007-01-28 11:51 AM (#75487 - in reply to #75445)

I think this is great advice that also speaks to me. I have reached a point where I think the RYT does not reflect the teacher much at all. It just says you did it, but not who you are at all.

Purnayoga
"If I could, I would advise those wishing to teach to seek out a program of study that is as comprehensive as possible, certified, and within a quality lineage. I would advise teachers to do teacher trainings to fullfill their passion, their heart, their dharma rather than their paystubs or a RYT stamp. I would advise that their priorites be re-examined thoroughly and that they move forward from a place of clarity. I would advise they not waste time taking something that doesn't speak to them very deeply but rather pour themselves into something that they connect with."

I'm not for busting someone's chops about how they want to start the journey. How can you know what kind of teacher you'll be or how far you'll delve into it when you just start? Sometimes people have to jump in where they can realistically, then let the journey direct them. Where I started has very little to do with where I am now, which I hope is true for all teachers. I mean, that is what a rookie is. You have the talent and some skills, but you need practice and real life application to make it start to fall into place. You think Da Vinci's first piece was as good as his last?

I also agree that being a good student has little to do with being a good teacher, but again, how would you know until you tried? And, I can speak from experience, I tried to teach too fast and I KNEW I was not ready. But, I am glad I didn't sit around and ponder on it too long or I'd have never gone forth and rocked on.

If you feel the calling, then jump in where you can. Everything else will fall into place, even if that place turns out not to be yoga! However, for all you know, you could be the best yoga teacher in our time!

Edited by Kym 2007-01-28 11:52 AM
OMGoddess13
Posted 2007-01-28 12:17 PM (#75491 - in reply to #75467)

Prana,
I want to first say 'thanks' for what you've taken the time to write and although what you've said is very helpful for the most part I feel that some of it is not exactly on target.
I don't just "do" yoga. I live yoga. I have for most of my adult life. I'm not looking to become a teacher so that I can just make money. I do however want to bring the joy and peace that yoga has brought me to others. I also have a small child to support and it is getting harder and harder to do.
I do agree that we must all find a training that speaks to us. I think I may have come off badly the way I stated my question. I'm not a materialistic person. I am however a very realistic person. I very much, with all my heart and soul want to teach yoga. I will do whatever it takes to get me to that point. I'm not looking for an easy way to get my certification. I was really looking for some opinions on the best course of action for me. I've got a very limited income that is a fact of life and that does have to come into play. I will however contact a few schools around me and ask if there is some way that I can work out payments or something like that.

I would love the opportunity to learn with you, but going to Seattle is not really something I can do. Thank you very much for the offer.

Brightest Blessings,
Bethany

Edited by OMGoddess13 2007-01-28 12:31 PM
OMGoddess13
Posted 2007-01-28 12:28 PM (#75494 - in reply to #75482)

Mish,
I understand what you're saying but I wasn't exactly saying that all I want is a "drive-thru" certification so that I teach yoga. I know I may have come off badly when I wrote my initial question. I hope that it doesn't sound that all I want is money. That is not the case at all. As I responded to Purna, I don't just "do" yoga. I live yoga. My life is better because of it and I want to bring that to others. I will do whatever it takes to become an instructor and I would never even consider teaching others if I thought that I couldn't physically and emotionally guide students.
I'm going to contact schools around me and see if they offer any sort of payment program. Thank you again for your guidance.
Brightest Blessings,
Bethany
OMGoddess13
Posted 2007-01-28 12:41 PM (#75495 - in reply to #75487)

Hi Kym,
I couldn't agree with you more. Yes, a good student doesn't make you a good teacher however. I do teach my friends and family. I have for years, which is what drove me to consider going into teaching others. In my responses to Prana and Mish I said that I think I came off badly in my initial request for guidance. I'm not some money grubbing get rich quick kind if person. I am however a practical person and I have bills to pay and a child to consider. Yoga is huge part of my life. It has brought me joy and peace. I want to bring that to others. If my desicion to teach also gives me the means to support myself and my daughter than that's great too.
When you trained how did you do it? Do you teach now? You said you tried to teach before you were ready, what problems did you encounter?
Brightest Blessings,
Bethany

Posted 2007-01-28 1:56 PM (#75499 - in reply to #75445)

i apprenticed with 4 different teachers over 8 years, austensibly doing thousands of hours of teacher training--all for free.

yes, you read that correctly: FREE. i did not pay one penny for any training that i recieved.

i started with simple work study. i would work the desk or sweep floors or wash windows or props. i would do this in exchange for classes. i would increase my work at the studio and the teachers would take me on as an apprentice. it was always flexible and fit my schedule, and i simply did work for the teacher when s/he asked. simple enough.

so, you might want to develop a relationship with a teacher (preferebly an "ERYT" if you want to register with YA). in doing so, you might discover a way to recieve teacher training in exchange for whatever work you do for the studio, etc. it's a great way to recieve training.

Posted 2007-01-28 4:01 PM (#75520 - in reply to #75491)

OMGoddess13 - 2007-01-28 9:17 AM
Prana,
I want to first say 'thanks' for what you've taken the time to write and although what you've said is very helpful for the most part I feel that some of it is not exactly on target.

I have a new name. Kinda like it

The reply, my dear, is based on the question.
When you are more revealing you reap a better answer.
Living yoga, having to stay in Portland, and clarification on certification is thus new information.
As it was not shared it could not be incorporated.
So the target was a moving target :-)

You did not come off badly or goodly. There was simply some critical information missing.

You might also see what yoga schools might offer scholarships. Most do not but ask anyway.
I still believe this will reveal itself in its own way but I understand the conundrum and "been there, done that". For months I could not afford my training - this after doing a Baptiste TT back in 2001. But I've managed somehow. I worked a little more and spent a little less and spread things out. Tough? Yes indeed.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-01-28 4:17 PM
OMGoddess13
Posted 2007-01-28 4:15 PM (#75523 - in reply to #75520)
Subject: Thank you Purna

Purna, sorry for the initial miss-spelling. I should have been more open in what I was saying. I will most definately call around and talk to schools in my area and if they don't have scholarships maybe they have bartering systems or something to that effect. Thank you for your advice it was exactly what I asked for, advice.

Brightest Blessings,
Bethany
OMGoddess13
Posted 2007-01-28 4:16 PM (#75525 - in reply to #75499)

Thanks for the info Zoebird, you gave me a great idea.
Brightest Blessings,
Bethany
JackieCat
Posted 2007-01-28 4:19 PM (#75526 - in reply to #75520)

Extreme Veteran

purnayoga - 2007-01-28 4:01 PM

Kym, what is your sense of this sentence "some people should NOT be yoga teachers."?

I'm not Kym, but this really made me pause and think, especially after an experience that I had today. I went to the gym to take a yoga class from an instructor that I really like and when I arrived I found that she was team teaching with an instructor that I really DISlike. This woman is very experienced, has a really advanced practice and is good at getting people to do what they think they can't do, BUT she's extremely full of herself, self promoting and has a very harsh, brash demeanor that I find extremely unpleasant.

I was REALLY bummed b/c since I teach a lot of classes, I don't have that many opportunities to take classes. I stuck it out, thinking "this is my yoga- to be patient and tolerant, etc., etc." but it wasn't a great experience for me. Now, I really dislike this woman's personality and her teaching style but do I think she should not be a yoga teacher? I don't think so- she does have a loyal following (small but loyal) and, as I stated, she does have a knack for getting people to push beyond their boundaries. Just because I don't want to take her class doesn't mean she shouldn't teach ANYbody.

I'll be interested to read others' thoughts on this topic.
OMGoddess13
Posted 2007-01-28 4:38 PM (#75529 - in reply to #75526)

Hi Jackie,
That's interesting. I would have to say that for every teacher, like the one you described with the less than appealing personality, there are thousands of students who are just like her who would respect the way she teaches and find it helpful. I think that what is good for some is definately not good for all.
I could never take a class with a teacher like the one you spoke of. I'm very laid back and an everyone learns and does at the pace they feel comfortable with, type of person. I would probably have left the class, but that's just me. Yes it is "your yoga" but you weren't able to get past your dislike for the teacher so it really wasn't your practice anymore, it was hers.
Brightest Blessings,
Bethany

Posted 2007-01-28 5:28 PM (#75533 - in reply to #75445)

I think I'm over-posting in this thread but I wanted to weigh in on the experience Jackie mentioned above.

Jackie I agree I don't think that teacher who's personality you DISlike shouldn't teach anybody either. But I do this it shines a light on yet another element of teaching yoga thus illustrating things we should be cultivating.

That is to say "hey, here's yet another quality in the definition of what makes a good yoga teacher".
It is not what makes a good Tennis teacher or what makes a good Math teacher though some of the same skills do carry over.

I have some thoughts about yoga and Ego. There are, however, some very popular yoga teachers today who do not apparently emrace a similar philosophy about Ego and teaching yoga. If you are teaching Political Science it is not against the very core of the teachings to be ego-maniacal. However, teaching yoga and being an ego maniac (without working on it) goes against the very grain and therefore it may be hypocritical.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-01-28 5:30 PM
JackieCat
Posted 2007-01-28 8:14 PM (#75545 - in reply to #75529)

Extreme Veteran

OMGoddess13 - 2007-01-28 4:38 PM

Yes it is "your yoga" but you weren't able to get past your dislike for the teacher so it really wasn't your practice anymore, it was hers.

Very true! I tried to take the approach that it was my yoga practice to let go of my negative feelings or at the very least, look at them to try to determine what it is about ME that enables me to have such a visceral, negative reaction to her style- that the letting go (or at least attempting to) would be more of a practice in itself than doing the postures, etc.

But alas, it was not to be!

Tomorrow's another day . . .
Kym
Posted 2007-01-28 8:36 PM (#75548 - in reply to #75526)

JackieCat - 2007-01-28 4:19 PM

purnayoga - 2007-01-28 4:01 PM

Kym, what is your sense of this sentence "some people should NOT be yoga teachers."?

I missed that original line, so I'm a little confused!

I think that if you're not meant to be a yoga teacher, you won't be. For me to attend a class and come out saying that a person shouldn't be teaching wouldn't happen. I'd just think, well, that class was not for me, but I'm sure others like her/him or she/he wouldn't be teaching.

If you're talking about a teacher not being safe, then the problem is the person who does the hiring. Let's say that person is the onwer, people would stop coming. I think the natural order of things would occur, and the studio would close. There would just be no success in a teacher without any skills.

I've noticed that my idea of a good teacher for me has evolved b/c my practice has evolved. But, I can't think of a person that I've thought should not be teaching. I have not crossed that bridge, I suppose. Have you?

Interesting question.

Posted 2007-02-02 6:38 PM (#76195 - in reply to #75445)

Have i? Come across someone I thought "he/she should find a new career"? I suppose that's happened a time or two. But for the most part no. I don't know what the answer to this will be in 20 years as trainings crank out teacher after teacher. But for right now there are a few "inhibitors". I would hope to those who should be doing something else it would "reveal" itself to them somewhere before they got in front of a class.
Sage
Posted 2007-02-23 2:21 PM (#78554 - in reply to #75445)

Blessings and OM. I can relate to you as I am also in the midst of a search for yoga training and live in the Portland, OR area. Perhaps we can put our heads & hearts together? I also believe that I can manifest the perfect training course & teachers for myself, and also the financing will follow. I am currently compiling a list of possibilities. I would also like to be certified. I have been "living yoga" since 1993 and have a sincere desire to teach.
Namaste, Sage
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-23 5:44 PM (#78569 - in reply to #75445)

OMGoddess13 - 2007-01-27 4:02 PM

I'm new here so Hello to you all. I have a couple of questions but first let me give you a tiny bit of background.
I've been practicing Yoga, mainly Hatha and Ashtanga for 10 years. I practice everyday without fail. The only downtime I ever took was when I gave birth 2 and half years ago. I have wanted to become an instructor for about 5 years but I simply can't afford the teacher trainings. I live in Portland, OR and even the 2 schools that I did find are over 5,000 for the 200 hour course. I feel that I'm very qualified to become a teacher. I teach my friends and family.
I've been doing some searching and I've found a few correspondence and "quick certification" courses (ie, yogafit, etc) that will allow you to get a certificate. Then you can start teaching and work toward your 200 & 500 hour RYT goal. What I'd like to know is what advice you have for me. I'm not crazy about doing the whole correspondence course thing but as I said I'm not a newcomer by any standards and I feel as long as I can get my certificate so that I can teach and start to make some money. Then I can take the workshops that i really want to take and also become Yoga Alliance Certified.

Wow, that's lengthy. I'd appreciate any help and feedback you can offer.
Namaste and Brightest Blessings to you all.
Bethany

Sorry, I am late in responding you. I was in India then. From what you wrote, you are more than qualified to be a good Yoga Teacher. And, you want advice? Mine is this: Do not waste any time and money in correspondence things. Also, 5000? I shall take you to India Trip plus give Teacher Certification Training for that price. For now, I suggest you go on teaching family and friends. That means you are already a teacher. Do not bother about certificate. Teach so well to your friends that you will be invited by others.

Now, about making money. I suggest you do the following. Communicate with 50 of your friend Yoga Teachers who can share the real stuff with you (the only one I trust is Big Brother Bruce!!!) And, get their income for the past 3 years. That should help you to make decision in that respect.

I wish you all the best.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)