YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question about athleticism?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

SeeOtter
Posted 2007-02-02 5:20 PM (#76185)
Subject: Question about athleticism?

I have watched the Sharath Primary Series DVD from:
http://www.ashtangaproductions.com/

In this I noticed some things such as:

- On seated vinyasa, he does not do the straight-leg floating jump through thing
- After final navasana, he does not do a fancy handstand thing
- Most of the holds are for a short-time, a quick count to 5 and out
- ... and other similar points can be noted.

Overall, although he looks very graceful, peaceful and flexible, he is far less athletic/gynmastically flamboyant or demonstrative than I had expected from watching Pimary Series videos of John Scott, Richard Freeman, and many other famous teachers.

So my question: Is it not really important to strive for all that athleticism (stuff such as what I listed above and other similar points throughout the presentation) in our own practice?

Or was this presentation just a dampened down version for public DVD?
Or any other ideas?
Is all that athleticism really part of Ashantanga yoga, and thus an ultimate goal worth striving for, or not?
Or is it just do whatever you feel like?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Nick
Posted 2007-02-03 3:45 AM (#76227 - in reply to #76185)
Subject: RE: Question about athleticism?

Hi there,
I am not sure if I've seen this particular video, but I've seen others, and I think you are right, there seems to be an East/West divide on asana technique. I think this is partly Iyengar's influence on the West, and maybe also because a lot of the Indians took up yoga in childhood-maybe theirs is a style of practice which is marked by its longevity-also, when you see kids practice, they also often seem to have a similiar approach, at least, in my limited experience.

Nick
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-03 4:17 AM (#76229 - in reply to #76185)
Subject: RE: Question about athleticism

Jumping through with striaght legs isn't important, and a lot of the transitions are different depending on who you study with. The asanas themselves is where it's at

Sharath does count fairly fast, I guess it depends what you're used to. In some asanas though such as Utpluthee he can count very slowly!

I think that John Scott, David Swenson, dave from down the road and his mate Billy all have different practices because everyone casts their own light.

I wouldn't strive for anything during a practice, just work on each asana at a time, breathing well. Ashtanga requires strength, flexibiity, stamina, perseverance, discipline, respect, listening to your body...athleticism is there depending on the practitioner I think.

It's an interesting questions, thanks.

Edited by DownwardDog 2007-02-03 4:20 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)