YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Pada Hastasana
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-03 1:05 PM (#76255)
Subject: Pada Hastasana

Gosh, I feel like I'm slowly overtaking this forum and transforming it into a case study on my yoga experience. Sorry if it seems that way, but I do hope that some of my questions are ones that others might also have and that these posts will prove useful to others as well. Here goes:

Class was very different today, I must say it didn't feel like an ashtanga class at all. The teacher had us doing all sorts of odd things to get us to focus on particular muscles and aspects of practice, and many of the poses were modified in intriguing ways as a result. This is why I am asking about Pada Hastasana, because the instructions we got today in the pose were different than the way I had understood that this pose is supposed to be done, and I am left wondering if this was merely a modified version to highlight something new, or if this is the right form in the pose...

Basically, we were told to round the back as much as possible and to work on getting our face to come higher up on our legs rather than towards the shin. I had always practiced pada hastasana with the same goal as padangustasana, stretching my spine long and working to bring my heart towards my shin... In usual practice, we are instructed to "fold deeper" in pada hastasana, and I'm wondering if I misunderstood that instruction to mean going lower along the shin while it was intended to mean "forward bend the spine more", resulting in a rounded back... I'm also perplexed because the attached pic doesn't seem to illustrate the rounding of the back and trying to bring the face towards the knees, this person is clearly flattening his back and his face ends up very far down his shins...

Any thoughts folks? What's the standard way to do this pose?

sp

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 2-Pada-Hastasana.jpe (19KB - 97 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-03 5:21 PM (#76272 - in reply to #76255)
Subject: RE: Pada Hastasana

slowpie6 - 2007-02-03 1:05 PM Gosh, I feel like I'm slowly overtaking this forum and transforming it into a case study on my yoga experience.

LOL!

The teacher had us doing all sorts of odd things to get us to focus on particular muscles and aspects of practice, and many of the poses were modified in intriguing ways as a result.

This is how most of the classes are at my studio. When you and other ashtangis (and Bikramites) all talk about doing the same standard set of poses in each class, I was completely dumbfounded. Not that I thought that could get boring (because every time you practice, the body is different, as is the mind, of course), but just that I didn't know it was ever done WITHOUT variations and new asana concoctions (concontasanas?) to stress the point of a particular "body feel". Interesting, indeed.

As to your particular question about pada hastanasa, no thoughts there, sorry. Well, except maybe to say we shouldn't be so dogmatic about the "right" way to do any pose?

Heh, I'm still chuckling from your first line, that made my day!

OM

slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-04 9:36 PM (#76374 - in reply to #76255)

Glad to provide some entertainment!

As for my Pada Hastasana, I took some pics to illustrate the difference I am talking about. I understand as you say that there isn't necessarily one absolute way to practice an asana, that there are multiple acceptable variations. I guess my question might be clearer if I specified that I was wondering if Pada Hastasana, as practivced during the primary series in Ashtanga(which does have a specific way to do the poses to my understanding), should be done with the back lengthening, or the back rounding. Refer to my pics to see what I mean...

sp

(Pada Hastasana.jpg)

(Pada Hastasana mod.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Pada Hastasana.jpg (25KB - 67 downloads)
Attachments Pada Hastasana mod.jpg (26KB - 72 downloads)
tourist
Posted 2007-02-04 10:12 PM (#76387 - in reply to #76374)

Expert Yogi

I like the straight back version, but that is the Iyengar perspective.
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-04 10:31 PM (#76396 - in reply to #76255)

I like straight back better too, if only for the fact that I can actually breath in that one... Rounding my back makes it very hard for me to breath, as I don't think I've figured out how to breath in my back yet... It always perplexes me when my teachers are telling me to breath in my back, or breath in my kidneys. This little voice in my head keeps answering "I don't have lungs there, silly!! ", but I know I'll find them someday!

Have you ever seen the round back version at all, or is this something my teacher concocted on his own just to torture us better?

sp
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-05 7:41 AM (#76437 - in reply to #76396)

slowpie6 - 2007-02-04 10:31 PM It always perplexes me when my teachers are telling me to breath in my back, or breath in my kidneys. This little voice in my head keeps answering "I don't have lungs there, silly!! ", but I know I'll find them someday!

What you said here, even in jest, got me thinking. I looked at some pictures of the lungs and kidneys, just to get an idea of how breathing into one set of organs could affect the other. I saw the diaphragm illustrated in one image, and then I remembered that when you inhale, the diaphragm moves down. Could it be that the instruction to breathe into your mid-back and kidneys is to encourage more of the diaphragm to lower down, allowing room for a fuller inhale? I looked at the breathing chapter in David Coulter's book (which I've read about 3-4 times already and still have some trouble with). I know it also has to do with using the intercostal muscles more fully, or at least trying to access expanding them more, also with the intent of a fuller breath. But I really don't know, I'm just thinking out loud here, based on the limited reading and studying I've done so far (limited in that I'm no where near being an anatomy expert!). I do know I breathe more deeply and pervasively throughout my body when I think about breathing into my kidneys. It also fixes my posture automatically, just by virtue of intention.

In looking at both your pictures, the one adjustment that immediately comes to mind (because we're currently learning to look for them, not because you're doing anything "wrong") is to pull the lower belly up off the thighs; or put another way, to suck the hip creases up into your body. Both cues accomplish the same thing here, and it's not about fixing a sagging belly, but rather (and this is my personal take on it) muscularly supporting against too much pelvic tilt. So whether you round the upper back or not, the same action of pulling in and up at the hip creases will align the skeleton better, I believe.

I know I'm still not answering your original question about which way is "proper" for this particular asana. Personally, I think it's more interesting to explore why your teacher that day had you do it this way, with the intent of just noticing how it might feel different for you. Hey, could it be exactly what you initially said, "Rounding my back makes it very hard for me to breath, as I don't think I've figured out how to breath in my back yet... "?

Heh, ask a philosopher a question, and you get asked three more .

jonnie
Posted 2007-02-05 8:14 AM (#76442 - in reply to #76255)

Hi SP,

In Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga, both pada hastasana and pada gustasana are practised as active postures.

Once you have bent forward and placed the hands correctly, you then begin to lengthen the spine, while pulling on the hands to create resistance (an isometric contraction).

Picture 1 is very good form.

Jonathon
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-05 9:04 AM (#76453 - in reply to #76437)

OM, as you know I have only recently been delving through my copy of Coulter's book, and frankly my attempt to read it from start to finish is constantly being diverted as I look up particular postures or anatomical sections that interest me that day. So I haven't begun the breathing chapter yet, but I am anxious to do so. I am sure that it will help me put some of these breathing instructions into more convincing action.

As for pulling in my abdomen to support the back, you're right of course, I think in these poses I might not have been doing it so well, though I usually try to do that as this is one of the aspects of my practice I am giving particular attention to (specifically, engaging the abdomen in all forward bending actions).

Jonnie, thanks for the specification about the standard Ashtanga form for Pada hastasana... Will continue with the straight back version while doing the primary series then, but I'll still try to do the rounded version at home to improve my breathing in that posture, and maybe over time it will become clearer on its own why we were told to practice it this way...

sp
airey
Posted 2007-02-05 9:56 AM (#76459 - in reply to #76255)

It was my understanding that the only posture in the primary series that has a curved back is Baddha Padmasana at the end.
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-05 10:11 AM (#76463 - in reply to #76255)

More weight forwards into your hands. Straight back. As you hinge from the waist lead with the heart and bring the head down last of all.

This streatches out your wrists after all those sun salutations.

DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-05 10:11 AM (#76464 - in reply to #76459)

And supta kurmasana, and gaba pindasana, and baddha konasana B, and pindasana,...and karna pidasana ! (about postures where we round the back)

Edited by DownwardDog 2007-02-05 10:15 AM
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-05 11:09 AM (#76478 - in reply to #76453)

slowpie6 - 2007-02-05 9:04 AM Will continue with the straight back version while doing the primary series then, but I'll still try to do the rounded version at home to improve my breathing in that posture, and maybe over time it will become clearer on its own why we were told to practice it this way... sp

Silly question, but did you ever just ask your teacher why he/she instructed you to practice the pose that way?

ALSO.... I just went back and reread your original post in this thread, and something you said reminded me of something I've heard from a few of my teachers: every pose in yoga is both a forward bend and a backward bend. Not the shape your body makes in the final expression of the pose, obviously, but the actions typified by forward bends and backward bends are present in every yoga pose (twists included). Again, not something to overthink, just to be aware of when you're not sure if you're going too far in one direction or the other.

riftweaver
Posted 2007-03-07 11:33 AM (#79461 - in reply to #76463)

DownwardDog - 2007-02-05 10:11 AMMore weight forwards into your hands. Straight back. As you hinge from the waist lead with the heart and bring the head down last of all.This streatches out your wrists after all those sun salutations.

Do you actually press the backs of your hands down? John Scott's advises this in his book; but that's the only source, in person or in print, that I've seen that explicitly says to do that. I tried it, and I like the way I feel it giving me more leg extension...

--Jason
Nick
Posted 2007-03-07 1:47 PM (#79485 - in reply to #79461)

Hi SP,
The form in the first posture is much better than the second, but sill you are caraning your head forwards and elevating your shoulders-probably the head position is because of the hunched shoulder position. Therefore you are losing any potential for stretch of the extensor muscles on the back of your forearms. Perhaps work on pulling each shoulder blade in and down-as the shoulder blades descend down the rib cage, then you will exert stretch on those forearm muscles. The reason your elbows are so close to the floor is a result of you hunching your shoulders up.

Nick
Nick
Posted 2007-03-07 1:54 PM (#79489 - in reply to #76437)

Hi Om,
"In looking at both your pictures, the one adjustment that immediately comes to mind (because we're currently learning to look for them, not because you're doing anything "wrong") is to pull the lower belly up off the thighs; or put another way, to suck the hip creases up into your body. Both cues accomplish the same thing here, and it's not about fixing a sagging belly, but rather (and this is my personal take on it) muscularly supporting against too much pelvic tilt. So whether you round the upper back or not, the same action of pulling in and up at the hip creases will align the skeleton better, I believe."

Beg to differ, but isn't pelvic tilt to be encouraged in all forward bends, to align the skeleton better? Also, if the abdomen is hollowed, then breathing is affected negatively-the diaphragm cannot function optimally-all it's attachments have altered in position.
We've been discussing this a lot recently in another thread, but if the abdominal wall is braced slightly, then it acts as a to stiffen the lumbar spine, and provides a platform for ujjayi breathing. Hollowing the abdomen provides an unstable platform for the diaphragm to contract on top of. I think

Nick
Barbara
Posted 2007-03-07 2:47 PM (#79497 - in reply to #76374)

My teachers have taught me no rounded back on Pada Hastasana. Bandhas engaged. Diaphragm lifted throughout. That's how I teach it.
slowpie6
Posted 2007-03-08 11:05 AM (#79572 - in reply to #79485)

Ah, revival of my old thread... Took me by surprise.

Since that one time when we did the rounded back modification, this way of doing things has not come up again. OM, I never did ask my teacher why he had us do it this way that particular time, so I haven't got anything to add in that respect. If he has us practice it this way again, I'll be sure to ask then.

Nick, your shoulder comment is well taken, I have issues properly positioning my shoulders in many poses, and despite frequent adjustments, I continue to do it wrong. It hasn't become a muscular memory yet, and half the time I can't even figure out how to do it. But I'm exercising patience and know that I'm working against a built-in habit that will take a while to correct. This shoulder problem is most obvious in purvatanasana, where my shoulder placement doesn't allow enough space for my head to drop back properly, as it does when my teacher adjusts me in this pose. No amount of trying has been successful in replicating the effect on my own.

As for pulling the chest off the thighs, I think I do that better now. I'm not sucking in, don't get me wrong, but it's the same sort of lift and support that I try to create in paschimatanasana. I hindsight, I think that I was completely relaxing my abdomen in forward bends, but have been working to ensure that my abdominal muscles maintain a slight contraction at all times and do their supportive duty. I'm also happy to report that it has started to make my tummy quite toned, . A new muscle has even surfaced, the one that helps to keep the lower ribs drawn in, there was no activity or firmness there before, which might explain why my ribs were always jutting out so far. Ah, baby steps! I love yoga!!!

sp
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)