YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

question about sequences
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Ashtanga YogaMessage format

osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-04 11:04 PM (#76402)
Subject: question about sequences

I know that a class is the best method to learn, but I can't afford a class. I can't even afford a dvd. I have been downloading videos online and recording things on tv so I can see poses being done by other people. I just started doing yoga 3 days ago, so I am very new to it. I came across info on ashtanga yoga yesterday and am interested in it. People here have been great about giving me links to ashtanga pages and poses and sequences. I saw on one site that in a mysore class there an opening sequence, then a sequence based on where you are in yoga, then a closing sequence. I also saw that a yoga instructor gives a student the next pose in a sequence based on when they think the student is ready. My question is, do people usually do the opening sequence from the beginning or does the instructor give the opening sequence poses one by one as well? Then does a student do the closing sequence right after the opening until they are ready to start learning what I call a middle sequence, or do they not learn the closing until they get the opening down? I guess I am basically asking is are the opening and closing sequences taught pose by pose like the middle sequence is or are they taught at one flowing pose together from the start?
Then I read 2 different views that ashtanga is taught with chanting and that it is taught in silence or light music. Is there a typical way or is it dependent on the instructor?
Sorry if these seem trivial questions, I just want to learn the proper way, and maybe when I can I will go to a class.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
slowpie6
Posted 2007-02-04 11:21 PM (#76404 - in reply to #76402)
Subject: RE: question about sequences

Please bear in mind that I am only a beginner myself, but here's what I can tell you... First of all, the Ashtanga practice that you are talking about is the primary series. It is a fixed sequence of poses that one does in a flowing sequence. I have been to about 30 classes (2 mysore style, and the rest led classes) since I started to practice ashtanga, and from what I can tell, the way to do it is as follows:

- There is an opening sequence of poses that are called the "fundamental asanas" - they begin with 2 versions of sun salutations (supposed to be done 5 times each), and continue to include a variety of standing postures and forward bending postures. We do all of these in every class.

- Then comes the primary series per se. I have never done the complete sequence of poses. In led classes, various poses are skipped over, or modified, and sometimes we do other poses that are not part of the primary series as well. In my mysore sessions, I've been told where to stop by my teacher, but to do all the poses up to that point, so I do some things that we don't do in class.

- Finally comes the finishing sequence. There is always a finishing sequence, but we rarely do all the poses that this typically includes. Or rather, we only have done all of the poses in the level 2 classes I've attended, but never in level 1. In beginner classes we only do a couple things, and that varies. Usually shoulder stand, headstand, padmasana, utplutih... and then we close with savasana.

You can consult the section called "method" from this website : http://www.ayri.org/ , and view pictures of the stuff I've talked about. There are no detailed descriptions, but from there you can read up.

And lastly, dropping in for a single class at a studio is usually very affordable. At my studio, the first ever class is only $10. Try putting aside a dollar a day, and then treat yourself. It's very worth it. It will help you to start your practice appropriately.

sp
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-04 11:41 PM (#76405 - in reply to #76404)

The classes I have found near here require enrollment into an 8 week class for $100. Howver, if I had a dollar a day to put aside I would. No job, no income and bf is not going to pay for it. I am awaiting a settlement from a work related injury so I can afford to finish school. Thanks to the work related injury (I was on probation for 2 quarters due to dropping classes, but started shaping up and getting A's and B' the first quarter and straight A's the second quarter) I missed finals and instructors would not let me make it up so I lost my financial aid for school with only a few quarters until I graduate. Anyway once I get my settlement and can pay for school I will look into taking a yoga class at school. My friend did and loves it. She's been trying to get me to do yoga with her for years. Her instructor only charges $10 per class if you took her class with the school, it might be cheaper than that like $5. But it might be a year before I can take a class. I don't want to put off learning for a year.
Thanks for the information, it was really helpful. A couple more questions
The two versions of the opening, is one a beginner and one more advanced? Is there a point when instructor tells you to move on to the other version? Or are both versions done one after another 5 times a piece?
I'm assuming that classes last a set amount of time, so that you only can go as long as the class is. Therefore, does the instructor stop you when you get to a pose s/he sees you having difficulty with and then you start the sequence over (if there is time) or do you go into the closing sequence when the instructor stops you even if there is time left in the class, or do you work on that pose until it is time to do the closing?
Thanks again for your help.
iandicker
Posted 2007-02-05 3:51 AM (#76416 - in reply to #76405)

I've taught myself mainly from books for the last couple of years. It's not easy, you have to keep going back to the descriptions of the poses every day and try to match up what you are doing to the pictures by looking in a mirror occasionally or getting a friend to watch you.

Get hold of a book. If you have a good library locally, you can check out all the books they can get before you buy one. Of all the books I've seen from my library, Ashtanga Yoga for Beginners by Michaela Clarke is the best one if you are starting out. John Scott's book is a bit scary and David Swenson's a bit short on helpful hints for an absolute beginner. Iyengar For Beginners by BKS Iyengar and Yoga: The Spirit and Practice of Moving Into Stillness by Erich Schiffmann, although not Ashtanga are also good if you are starting to teach yourself.

The main thing is to enjoy it and not to push too hard. You'll find out the hard way (I did) what that means, overstretching a joint or a muscle can put you back in your progress, but it's all a learning process, even the pain. You may not be able to make the asanas look anything like the photos to start with, but it will all come with practice so don't push too hard.

As for which sequences, start with sun salutation A and see how you feel. If you're OK with that, go on to B and then try the next asana in the sequence. Your body will tell you if you've gone too far if you listen to it. Always finish off with a lie down and relaxation no matter how far you go in the sequence.

And when you can afford it, go to a class.....

Good luck,

Ian
DownwardDog
Posted 2007-02-05 4:51 AM (#76423 - in reply to #76402)

I would reccomend the David Swenson Book because he includes all of the modifications as well which can be helpful when you're learning alone from a book.

Sun salutation A is done 5 times followed by sunsalutation B, also 5 times. This is usually all that beginners do at first followed by the closing sequence, usually modified to allow for the body to open progressively.

After a while the fundamental asanas are added one by one and then primary series is started, adding the postures 1 by 1 or a few at a time if you are ready for them. You always close with the finishing sequence though.

The John Scott DVD is quite good as it has a beginners practice in it.

The opening chant is sung at the beginning and the closing chant is sung at the end before savasana. You practice in silence though, apart from the sound of Ujjayi.

Edited by DownwardDog 2007-02-05 4:53 AM
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-05 4:30 PM (#76521 - in reply to #76423)

Thanks to you both for the book info. I am going to look for those. I have been using a combination of watching people do it on tv and from poses on websites. When I am doing a standing pose, I have a great mirror to help see what I am doing, going to have to get a better mirror for sitting poses though. I have the poses on my laptop, so I can put the laptop in front of me at whatever angle I need to see how to do the pose. I am going to make a slide show of poses for my laptop so that I can time each picture to my personal needs. I am probably going to do the same with my desktop 24" screen is easier to see.
i have a neat program on my desktop that allows me to take a picture and trace it or copy it and make flashcards out of it. I saw some flashcards that had stick figure yoga poses to help people learn. I can also scan pictures from books and make slides out of them. Yoga is making me use my computer more and get use of the programs.
Well, I am off to learn the sunsalutation.
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-06 2:47 AM (#76567 - in reply to #76402)

...all the above advice is great.

I would add that if your practise was to consist only of five rounds of sun salutations A & B (total 10), with the correct alignment, breathing and use of bandha, then that would serve you well for at least the next year.

Jonathon
osutuffy
Posted 2007-02-06 3:23 AM (#76570 - in reply to #76567)

I would add that if your practise was to consist only of five rounds of sun salutations A & B (total 10), with the correct alignment, breathing and use of bandha, then that would serve you well for at least the next year.

Going to see how I feel as I am doing the salutations, I may do more or less. It's odd, I have never been much of a stretcher. I never stretch before any exercise, I always felt uncomfortable. Morning stretch is all I evern did. After the first yoga video I did, I felt the urge to do it again. I did not just cause I wasn't sure how my body would react. Next day I did the video part way though (shoulders were a little tender). Since I didn't do the whole video, it felt weird. All day I was walking around and feel the need to stretch out. Felt like my muscles were contracting and were hollaring at me to pull them back out. Had a lot of joint popping too. Usually the only thing that pops is my lower back, but shoulders, hips, neck, upper back were all popping. I think where I stretched my muscles out so well that it was moving my bones around. I met a girl one that had something where her muscles were twisting her pelvis around causing one side to rotate up. Her doctor told her it was going to cause one leg to be shorter than the other and recommended a massage therapist (her alternative to that was surgery or shoe inserts). The massage therapist moved her muscles in her hip and warned her she would feel her muscles moving at night. She said she could feel them moving. After several trips he was able to correct what was happening. I felt like that today and testerday, like all my muscles were moving around. It wasn't uncomfortable, just a little odd.
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-06 5:03 AM (#76574 - in reply to #76570)

There is no hard and fast rule on the number of sun salutations you need to do. Usually we do five of each, sometimes 5 A & 3 B. Once a month I do 108 and that will be my whole practise for the day.

Remember, Yoga is not just about stretching. You are also strengthening the muscles as well, so it's very common to experience muscle soreness and popping sounds as your body begins to re-align it's self. The downwards dog movements work the shoulders pretty hard, so I'm not suprised your feeling them.

Finally, Yoga has an energetic/emotional aspect to it too, so it is also common to experience a variety of different emotions or recall repressed memories during or after your practise. This is normal too.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)