YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bhagavad Gita
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Yoga as Self-RealizationMessage format

mishoga
Posted 2007-02-05 10:08 AM (#76462)
Subject: Bhagavad Gita

Expert Yogi

I posted this on another thread (in reference to daily rituals), just thought it might be nice to add this here.
I open the Bhagavad Gita every monring while I am dressing and open the page randomly. Wherever my eyes are drawn to is what I read. Then I reflect and see how this can/does apply to me. How I can learn from my own observations.

This was this morning's reading

Passion and Hatred are seated in the senses related to their objects. One should not come under the power of these two; they are indeed one's enemies

Namaste!

Edited by mishoga 2007-02-05 10:09 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-05 1:31 PM (#76507 - in reply to #76462)
Subject: RE: Bhagavad Gita

I Love to read the Gita daily too.

It's very inspiring.

Jonathon
SCThornley
Posted 2007-02-05 1:43 PM (#76510 - in reply to #76462)

illuminating

thanks
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-02-06 6:25 AM (#76582 - in reply to #76462)

In our Gita study class last week (meets every Thursday morning), we discussed verses 3.38 thru 3.41:

38-39: Like fire covered by smoke, like a mirror covered by dust, like the unborn fetus completely surrounded by a membrane -- just so is the wisdom in humankind covered over by the insatiable fire of desire, the constant enemy of the wise.

40: The senses, mind and intellect are the seat of desire. It is this desire that veils wisdom and deludes people.

41: Therefore, Arjuna, first take control of your desire -- the sinful destroyer of wisdom and self-realization.

The conversation went off on various tangents as it always does, and one person made a comment that has stuck with me ever since: "It's just as easy to develop good habits as it is to develop bad ones." You'd think it would be way easier to fall into bad habits, and that the good ones take effort, but no, it's really not the case. Just some food for thought.

mishoga
Posted 2007-02-06 7:52 AM (#76587 - in reply to #76462)

Expert Yogi

Thanks for sharing that Orange. I will ponder that.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-02-06 9:54 AM (#76607 - in reply to #76587)

Expert Yogi

This is my verse from today.

Buddhiyukto jahaateeh ubhe sukrita drishkrite; Tasmaad yogaaya yujyaswa yogah karmasu kaushalam.

If one can maintain a balanced mind, one is able to abandon virtue and vice.  Therefore, engage yourself in the practice of Buddhi Yoga.  The performance of actions with a balanced mind is indeed the skill in Yoga.

Ya'll have a great day,

joscmt
Posted 2007-02-07 9:06 AM (#76726 - in reply to #76462)

I like the idea of reading a verse a day.. I'm going to have to put mine out on my night table and give it a whirl! Thanks for the idea!
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-07 10:10 AM (#76734 - in reply to #76462)

Bhagavadgita is the most popular Philosophical and Yoga book in the world, without any doubt. In fact, Christianity and other religions are highly influenced by the statements in it. You can see many statements in the bible which are direct translation of the statements in BG.

The famous Philosopher Aristotle had studied BG, which was brought to him by his disciple, Alexander the Great (in my personal opinion, the greatest stupid Alexander the Ungreat. Because, he had so many great qualities which he used all the time only for destruction. Thank God, he brought BG to Aristotle, who definitely imbibed BG teachings in his knowledge spread.)

The secret of popularity of BG is: Study of BG can be undertaken in many ways and the interpretation can be made in favor of many logics. Even logic of Christianity can be found there. Same with Islam or Judaism. And, that of Upanishads. Thus, everybody benefits from it in his/her own ways.

However, the proper study of BG has to be done sequentialy, and needs a background in Sanskrit as each word in BG means different at different places. For example, word Yoga in BG means many things.

Whereas, Yoga Sutras of Patanjali are much more compact, and bound. The word meaning remains the same.

Study of YOP is much easier than that of BG. That is why I am still waiting to give classes on BG.

I am surprised that, first time, some senior students suddenly have started coming to YOP class with me in my renta room in Pune. There are 3 of them. One of them is a famous Doctor with Yoga background and some lineage of Iyengar style.

Best Wishes to all of you in study of BG. I also got a copy of the first book by Bipin Joshi, Kundalini Yoga. Sorry, for adding persona things in the message on BG.

Peace
mishoga
Posted 2007-02-08 8:41 AM (#76885 - in reply to #76462)

Expert Yogi

Hi Neel, welcome back. I missed you!!!!!

Oh me so happy
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-08 8:59 AM (#76888 - in reply to #76734)

kulkarnn - 2007-02-08 6:10 PM

However, the proper study of BG has to be done sequentialy, and needs a background in Sanskrit as each word in BG means different at different places. For example, word Yoga in BG means many things.

Hi Neel,

That's why it's important to study with an accurate translation and accompanying commentary.

I am currently studying with Eknath Easwaran's version, which is very good.

How long will you be in Pune?

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-08 9:07 AM (#76890 - in reply to #76462)

dear Mishy:
I am still in Pune. I shall be here until 18th Feb. Do you want me to bring y ou something.

dear Jonnie: Please see above.

jonnie
Posted 2007-02-08 9:10 AM (#76892 - in reply to #76462)

Hi Neel,

Do you think you would have time to conduct a workshop in Dubai?

It's only two hours from Pune.

Jonathon
kulkarnn
Posted 2007-02-09 1:05 AM (#76978 - in reply to #76892)

jonnie - 2007-02-08 9:10 AM

Hi Neel,

Do you think you would have time to conduct a workshop in Dubai?

It's only two hours from Pune.

Jonathon

Yes Sir. But, that depends on a) visa requirements and obtaining it if necessaruy. I have US passport. b) travel arrangements. c) topic and coverage needed.

I am currently teaching one class on PYS which I can wrap up in a day, since it is arranged that way.

Namaste
jonnie
Posted 2007-02-09 1:43 AM (#76984 - in reply to #76462)

Hi Neel,

That is good news.

Lets discuss it via Pm.

Jonathon

Posted 2007-02-10 12:56 AM (#77106 - in reply to #76462)

How's about Mish, when you post such a sweet passage, you ALSO tell us what it means for you so we get a context. That way we can "touch" you without touching you.
Cyndi
Posted 2007-02-10 9:38 AM (#77126 - in reply to #77106)

Expert Yogi

Here's my Gita for the next couple of days....

Dukheshwanudwignamanaah sukheshu vigatasprihah; Veetaraagabhayakrodhah sthitadheer munir uchyate.

He who is not agitated in the midst of sorrowful conditions and who is devoid of craving in the midst of pleasant circumstances, who is free from attachment, fear, and anger, such a Sage is called a person of steady wisdom.

mishoga
Posted 2007-02-12 6:16 AM (#77240 - in reply to #76462)

Expert Yogi

OK Gordon, here is today's passage; 16.1

"The blessed lord spoke: Fearlesness, purity of being, perseverence in yoga and knowledge, giving, self-restraint and sacrifice, study of the sacred texts, austerity, and uprightness"

I feel these are all qualities I must work on to cultivate my true authentic self. I know for myself, it's so easy to let these principles be forgetten in a moment of dealing with a undesirable situation or someone who tests my patience, but I must take a breath, refocus and bring myself back to remember where I am going and the kind of yogini I want and am striving to be.

Self-restraint and study of the sacred texts are two I must focus on. I will be studying today as my body is very sore. So a day of rest and a good book are in order.
I also feel that sometimes I open the book to read a passage and the universal energy directs me to a certain page for a reason. This is the focus I need today and it couldn't be more appropriate.

Posted 2007-02-12 3:24 PM (#77279 - in reply to #76462)

With these ten in mind; what are your purities rather than your deficiencies?

mishoga
Posted 2007-02-15 11:29 AM (#77671 - in reply to #76462)

Expert Yogi

A couple are my intention, and my desire to serve others.
Bay Guy
Posted 2007-03-05 9:23 PM (#79288 - in reply to #77671)

Expert Yogi

Because of perceiving the (same) Self (abiding) in all beings and all beings (abiding) in the (same) Self; a yogi, who is in union with the Self, sees everybeing with an equal eye. (See also 4.35) (6.29)

Those who see Me in everything and see everything in Me, are not separated from Me and I am not separated from them. (6.30)

The non-dualists, who adore Me as abiding in all beings, abide in Me irrespective of their mode of living. (6.31)

kulkarnn
Posted 2007-03-05 10:39 PM (#79298 - in reply to #76462)

In my opinion the most important verse in ShrimadBhagavadgita is in the last chapter, and that is:

sarva dharmaan parityajya mamekam sharana vraja....

Please see it there.

Peace.
OrangeMat
Posted 2007-03-06 6:27 AM (#79304 - in reply to #79298)

Chapter 18, verse 66:

"Renounce all duties (dharma), and just come to me for refuge. I will take you beyond sin and guilt, where there is neither grief nor sorrow."

From Swami Satchidananda's translation: "It's called the sloka of surrender. If you want to summarize the entire Gita in just one sloka, this is the one."

Wow.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)