YogiSource.com my account | view cart | customer service
 Search:    
Welcome to the new Yoga.com Forums home!
For future visits, link to "http://www.YogiSource.com/forums".
Make a new bookmark.
Tell your friends so they can find us and you!

Coming soon ... exciting new changes for our website, now at YogiSource.com.

Search | Statistics | User Listing View All Forums
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corpse Pose Woes
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Yoga -> Hatha YogaMessage format

tootercat
Posted 2007-02-06 4:09 PM (#76646)
Subject: Corpse Pose Woes

Anyone else have a problem with corpse pose with respect to lower back? It seems that the most challenging of other poses I can do without too much aftereffect but corpse has consequences. Is there an alternative other than keeping the knees up? I've tried that and it really doesn't fix the problem. Should I just not do tht pose and go back into crossed legs sitting and do the relaxation meditation? I believe that my back issues are repressed emotion based and am hoping to work through the demons so that I can have a "normal" life. Yoga (even just 6 sessions) has given me hope for staying fit. I am going to be 50 this year and am younger in my spirit and want my body to reflect that. Any suggestions or feedback is greatly appreciated and welcome. Thanks!

Namaste

Tooter
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SCThornley
Posted 2007-02-06 4:15 PM (#76647 - in reply to #76646)
Subject: RE: Corpse Pose Woes

if possible, more time in shavasana (corpse pose) may help

also, try this, scoot your but up to a couch and put your legs up there so that you are in a chair position, see if this helps, this is how I first started to get great benefits in shavasana

I know that when I first started, it was nearly impossible to stay calm, but after about 20 minutes in shavasana, my joints start to 'let go' and my arches relax and 'clunk' my sacro-iliac joint releases and boom! the energy that is released and the flow that I feel is just tingly.

Edited by SCThornley 2007-02-06 4:15 PM

Posted 2007-02-06 7:05 PM (#76663 - in reply to #76646)

Tooter,

What exactly is the problem?
joscmt
Posted 2007-02-07 9:05 AM (#76725 - in reply to #76646)

SCT- I love the clunk! I get that in my hip joint sometimes and it's heaven!

What has helped me in the past is (when not in Savasana) to lay on your back and rock your pelvis front and back using your abdominal muscles- for me, it's almost like a mini-massage.. and it helped me to not have a sway back when I lay on my back. I learned to find a neutral pelvis.
When our teacher instructs those with back issues to bend their knees, she has them put their feet out to the edge of their mats and to let your knees fall into each other. I do it when my back acts up, and it feels great!
tourist
Posted 2007-02-07 10:29 AM (#76738 - in reply to #76725)

Expert Yogi

tooter - there are many adjustments for savasana and low back issues. First rule is to learn to tuck your tailbone well. I don't much like a bolster under my knees, but for years I rolled a thin blanket and put it under my upper thighs, which helped a lot. Do you have a teacher? What does s/he say?
tootercat
Posted 2007-02-07 12:07 PM (#76762 - in reply to #76646)

Thank you so much for the responses! Let me answer question given to me:

What exactly happens is that the area in my lower back that goes from the sacral part of my spine towards my right hip "locks up" and when I try to move I get this horrible shooting spasm of pain that further immobilizes me. This happens after I have been in corpse pose or in everyday life after standing or sitting for too long.

I do have a teacher. I am in a Hatha Yoga class at the community college and will be there for a total of 16 weeks (2 times a week). My teacher suggested putting a pillow under my lower back but that seems to stimulate the problem not alleviate it. The book (Total Yoga) suggested keeping the knees up but that didn't seem to be the answer either.

I do have a slightly sway back so I am thinking maybe trying the couch idea at home and putting pillow under my thighs might work because wouldn't that force my pelvis down? I would LOVE to feel the "CLUNK" that y'all are talking about. I imagine it as "clunk" and then "MMMMM"

I'm not giving up. I know that my breathing (or not) tendencies are also a factor. Sometimes I starve my poor body for oxygen. Not intentionally. It just seems like I've been holding my breath waiting for something to happen all my life. Goes back a long way and it isn't going to change overnight. (no matter how hard i wish it to)

Thanks again for the feedback and suggestions!

Namaste

Tooter (Pam)

SCThornley
Posted 2007-02-07 12:46 PM (#76765 - in reply to #76646)

while relaxing, do your best to do some deep belly breathing to help train yourself to fully breathe.

You might get a little light headed and giddy, but after you're used to it you can try to breathe to the area in your back that hurts.

It really sounds like something that I have to manage as well, but mine comes from my right leg being shorter and a bit twisted from an accident where I broke it in about 8 places from my ankle to my hip; got hit by a car going 40 mph. I almost lost my leg.

Posted 2007-02-07 2:36 PM (#76793 - in reply to #76646)

Hmmmm.

The blanket roll I believe Tourist is elluding to lifts the head of the femurs up out of the pelvis (not the sort of "out" that equals dislocated). I believe it relieves the pressure of the femur resting in the acetabulum (its socket). It would not press the pelvis down however.

I wonder if you are experiencing some pressure on the sciatic nerve. It is also possible the Quadratus Lumborum is cramping or seizing. For right now it's neither here nor there as we can't work with you directly.

You can of course lay on your side with a bolster 'tween your thighs or try supta baddha konasana on a bolster with blocks under the outer knees.

Before that though I'd try a second mat (in Savasana) AND a thick rubber band wrapped around your big toes. Keep the heels slightly apart so you are comfortable. See how that goes. Feedback when you are able.

Edited by purnayoga 2007-02-07 2:38 PM
Nick
Posted 2007-02-07 6:35 PM (#76822 - in reply to #76762)

Hi there,
Had a post with the same problem recently-it's down to tight hip flexor muscles-which is why putting your legs on a chair or sofa will probably work. Try this, and then get back to us, and then we can direect you on stretching exercises and ways of getting into savasana without pain-it's usually quite easy with a bit of direction.

Nick
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)